• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CyberConnect2 (Naruto, Final Fantasy VII) opening a Montreal studio

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
http://gematsu.com/2016/04/cybercon...-shooting-action-game-opening-montreal-studio

The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu has a big feature on CyberConnect2, which is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year.

Part of the magazine’s feature is a long interview with president and CEO Hiroshi Matsuyama, who shares some insight into the company’s now-in-development project code-named “Project Venom,” a self-published shooting action game planned for release across PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.

Matsuyama also confirms the opening of a new studio in Montreal, Canada.
We hear you’re establishing a new studio in Montreal, Canada?

“It’s a fully developed studio. To reach an even broader audience as we expand globally, I thought, ‘Maybe we need a blue-eyed samurai?’

“I think there are still foreigners that want to try the Japanese-style creative.

“It’s not like we’re going off in some totally independent direction. We’ll be making games that have this link with Japan.”

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
when was the last time a Japanese studio opened a branch in North America?
If you mean a publisher in general, then Kojima Production Los Angeles or Koei Tecmo Canada (unless we're counting things like Square Enix Montreal).

For an independent studio, I would be hard pressed to remember one.

dramatis

Wow. I didn't think they were doing well enough to do this but maybe things are looking up (plus Canada's crazy subsidies?).

Kanhir

Was that actually a development branch, or just a localization branch?

Both, according to the CEO's initial introduction. They localise games made in the Japanese branch, but they also develop games in-house aimed at Western markets.

Quebec/Ontario are great places to open games studios.

Lots of highly educated young talent to select from, and good government support through big subsidies specifically for game studios. That's why Eidos Montreal has been here so long and other studios like Ubisoft and so on maintain or expand here as well.

Also subsidies for cultural works for Canadian talent/art as well, something that DrinkBox takes advantage of as well.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Still waiting for that One Piece game. Burning Blood is a start, but I need that CC2 polish.

Burning blood is basically Namco Bandai trying to make one of those CC2 Naruto games, but with One Piece and without CC2's production values which takes a lot of the fun out of it

Daft Punk

Banned
Burning blood is basically Namco Bandai trying to make one of those CC2 Naruto games, but with One Piece and without CC2's production values which takes a lot of the fun out of it

Don't get me wrong, I'm super hyped for BB, but I know that CC2 would be the studio to do the series justice especially after the UNS series.

Makes sense with all that Storm money that they made. So good on them.

If you mean a publisher in general, then Kojima Production Los Angeles or Koei Tecmo Canada (unless we're counting things like Square Enix Montreal).

For an independent studio, I would be hard pressed to remember one.

Even though establishing a studio in another country is normally what a publisher does, I am impressed that CC2 managed to do so as well.

Wow, exciting news! It's awesome to see them expand out to Montreal. I always thought of them as being a smallish company but I guess they've really grown in the past few years.

That's scary. I had no idea.

I don't want the dotHack team making FF7. Hopefully enough of the team has changed, or they've hired new talent since the 00's.

They're just one of the companies helping out with it. The primary development will be Square Enix staff members leading the charge.

If you want an idea though, apparently the PSX trailer's cinematic stuff was all CC2.

Elfteiroh

Wait... I have known that Montreal studio but for some years now... 3 or 4 years ago, the guy behind CC2 (can never remember his name) came to the MIGS (Montreal International Gaming Summit) to talk about the Naruto games and how they manage the studio... Then at the end he revealed that info. I never knew that stayed unknown until now. Damned, should have made a post about it then. :/

But yeah, I really excited to see it starting to get more concrete! Maybe I'll get to work there soon! :D

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
That's scary. I had no idea.

I don't want the dotHack team making FF7. Hopefully enough of the team has changed, or they've hired new talent since the 00's.

they are one of the teams working on it, i don't see the problem regardless though, dothack and GU were pretty good

Mesoian

really wish they would make a adventure style open world naruto game instead of a purely fighting one ._.

Be careful what you wish for...

latest

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I know they haven't touched the franchise in a long time but I don't like how CC2 is only synonymous for their involvement in the Naruto games these days instead of their original work in the .hack// series.

Wow, I must say that this is a very unexpected direction for CyberConnect 2 to be going in. An independent Japanese developer opening up a studio in the west is pretty much unprecedented, isn't it?

Hopefully this works out for them. They've clearly been getting a lot of work lately and have a number of projects in the work.

Battlechili

Banned
YES

Cyberconnect2 is my favorite video game company, and I've dreamed of being able to work for them someday. But the barrier of travel to Japan and language is too much. It seemed like such a distant dream. Now that they're in Canada, this is awesome! I'm working on a CS degree; once I'm out of college, maybe I'll be able to make my dream a reality and work for them! This is so cool!

Plus the fact that CC2 is branching out is exciting! If this company gets bigger, that could mean great news for some of their pre-existing original properties. It'd be awesome to see another Little Tail Bronx game from them! I really hope this turns out to be a successful venture for them!

Top Bottom