• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077: development in full swing

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
But I guess 2019 is more realistic. I just hope they'll throw us a bone sooner than later.

Later is fine by me if it means showing off a game that CDPR knows it can deliver as opposed to a repeat of The Witcher 3's "downgrade-gate". Hell, CDPR has already put its foot in its mouth a bit by saying that it's aiming for visuals comparable to the pre-rendered trailer, which is most definitely not going to happen (a fact it's no doubt now aware of).

Tunahead

The major problem with combat in The Witcher III is they put all the intricate and interesting things about it behind a leveling system. There's just nothing there when you start, and only the hope of finding interesting characters and places gives you the motivation to keep grinding it out. It's like 35 hours in when you realize, hey, this combat system is pretty cool, because leveling happened and you got combat moves and sign abilities and utility skills. I hope they balance that better in Cyberpunk 2077.

Can't wait, I fully trust CDPR to deliver on this one. Even if it's just a cyberpunk Witcher 3 re-skin.

Well, The Witcher III is at its core a noir detective story with supernatural elements. I'm not familiar with the Cyberpunk 2020 setting in particular, but cyberpunk in general tends to feature noir protagonists and themes, and transhumanist shenanigans. I think it will be quite familiar territory for CDPR.

Shaanyboi

Banned
post-14570-I-Need-It-Iron-Man-gif-HItN.gif

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
if we need to wait until 2020 then so be it. i want them to take their time and get it right. i'll wait as long as it takes.

BraXzy

I haven't got anywhere close to finishing TW3 yet but I've loved what I have played so I'm very excited for this. I can't imagine the pressure the devs have coming from such a huge release and moving out of their comfort zone.

I wish them all the best on it though, blow us away CDPR!

Bl@de

Yeah, the replies to my post honestly make me laugh. Some people have some low ass standards. Action RPGs absolutely have to have good and responsive controls and combat. I quit W3 20 hours in because of how little fun it was to play. Being open world and an action RPG might complicate things a little but Dragon's Dogma is exactly such a game and does an amazing job of moving and fighting with your character.

That said, I repeat that Cyberpunk could certainly work in 1st person and as someone indicated, apparently CDPR intend to include a 1st person view so I might be good. I clearly like the content CDPR produce but I'm not willing to accept Witcher 3's level of jank anymore. They absolutely have to step up their game with regards to that and I hope they will. Witcher 3 didn't receive much criticism other than the combat and controls so surely they would work on that one thing the company didn't get right.

I want them to make a RPG and not a Action RPG. Combat is not everything in RPGs. There is charisma etc.. But it seems like people forget that. It's all about that boom boom peng.

Cyberpunk 2077 is based on a pen-and-paper RPG. With classes like medics, reporters etc.. So why should the focus always be combat? There are other solutions to quests.

SlickVic

So hungry for this game after Mankind Devided. Cyber punk makes for such a great world setting in games.

Yeah I just want to see more cyber punk games in general. There's plenty of science fiction in games in general (post-apocalyptic, dystopian, future warfare, etc) but I want more games set in a cyber punk themed city that is ripe for exploration. The Deus Ex series definitely satisfies that craving to some extent (exploring side quests in Prague in Mankind Divided has been awesome), but I can only imagine the world CDP can create. I try not to overhype myself for games, but Cyberpunk 2077 is easily one of my most anticipated games. The tough part is of course the waiting game.

Rhoc

The wait is killing me. They shouldn't have shown this one trailer ,that was a bad desicion. You can say all you want about Bethesta and Fallout 4 but they did an awesome job how they announced the game.
The game is already so hyped up i hope they can meet the very high expectation.
At this point they have to make a better game than Witcher 3 which will be really hard.

The wait is killing me. They shouldn't have shown this one trailer ,that was a bad desicion. You can say all you want about Bethesta and Fallout 4 but they did an awesome job how they announced the game.
The game is already so hyped up i hope they can meet the very high expectation.
At this point they have to make a better game than Witcher 3 which will be really hard.

It's been said many times before, but the trailer was meant as a recruitment for more developers to hire to work on the game

Besides, they were busy with Witcher 3 at the time

I want them to make a RPG and not a Action RPG. Combat is not everything in RPGs. There is charisma etc.. But it seems like people forget that. It's all about that boom boom peng.

Cyberpunk 2077 is based on a pen-and-paper RPG. With classes like medics, reporters etc.. So why should the focus always be combat? There are other solutions to quests.

This is what I'm hoping. I like (good) combat as much as the next guy, but the IP lends itself to other solutions. I hope CDPR really explores that.

The major problem with combat in The Witcher III is they put all the intricate and interesting things about it behind a leveling system. There's just nothing there when you start, and only the hope of finding interesting characters and places gives you the motivation to keep grinding it out. It's like 35 hours in when you realize, hey, this combat system is pretty cool, because leveling happened and you got combat moves and sign abilities and utility skills. I hope they balance that better in Cyberpunk 2077.
Never thought about it like that, but that's an interesting point.

The combat at the outset I didn't find to be terrible. Just very plain. And you're right that the interesting stuff is pretty much gated behind massive amounts of leveling. Even the signs themselves which should be interesting seem pretty boring at first. I think with a Cyberpunk setting though, you might be able to get around the level/skill issue with more gadgetry and crafting stuff.

Some Nobody

This is a realistic expectation.

People seriously expect 2018?

For a project even more ambitious than TW3?

Take all the time and craft it CDPR.

2021? The Witcher 3 was a great game and a great success, but it wasn't THAT successful. I don't really expect to see it earlier than 2018, but SIX YEARS after TW3? Bear in mind, TW3 was announced in 2012 and hit by May of 2015. This was announced a year afterwards--2017 is unrealistic but 2018-2019? C'mon. Especially when its got a larger group of people working on it than TW3 did.

....Plus tbh I really don't wanna hear people talk about how this game will "save them" or be "GOTG" or whatever the fuck for five years. Even if I had a small amount of interest in TLG I hate that shit now because no one ever shut the fuck up about it.

2021? The Witcher 3 was a great game and a great success, but it wasn't THAT successful. I don't really expect to see it earlier than 2018, but SIX YEARS after TW3? Bear in mind, TW3 was announced in 2012 and hit by May of 2015. This was announced a year afterwards--2017 is unrealistic but 2018-2019? C'mon. Especially when its got a larger group of people working on it than TW3 did.

....Plus tbh I really don't wanna hear people talk about how this game will "save them" or be "GOTG" or whatever the fuck for five years. Even if I had a small amount of interest in TLG I hate that shit now because no one ever shut the fuck up about it.
*sold 4 million in two weeks*
*6 million in first six weeks*
*nearly 10 million in first year*
*game helped CDPR to a $62.5 million profit first half of 2015*
*a bajillion GOTY awards*
*expanding team from 300+ to 500+ people*
*$34.7 million profit Q2 2016*
*company now worth over $1 billion*

"Wasn't that successful"
166.gif

c0Zm1c

Yeah, the replies to my post honestly make me laugh. Some people have some low ass standards. Action RPGs absolutely have to have good and responsive controls and combat. I quit W3 20 hours in because of how little fun it was to play. Being open world and an action RPG might complicate things a little but Dragon's Dogma is exactly such a game and does an amazing job of moving and fighting with your character.

That said, I repeat that Cyberpunk could certainly work in 1st person and as someone indicated, apparently CDPR intend to include a 1st person view so I might be good. I clearly like the content CDPR produce but I'm not willing to accept Witcher 3's level of jank anymore. They absolutely have to step up their game with regards to that and I hope they will. Witcher 3 didn't receive much criticism other than the combat and controls so surely they would work on that one thing the company didn't get right.

I don't think standards have anything to do with it (thank you!)

Consider this: the combat is actually great, but you just don't like it.

The way I see it is that Geralt, despite his enhancements, isn't the Superman you might have played in other games; he's not meant to be able to move and react with lightning-fast responses - despite many of you thinking he should. He's powerful and resourceful but fights are a struggle with his physical limits (the CGI launch trailer hints at this). And (I find) the combat is exhilarating because of that.

I love the combat in Dragon's Dogma too, but it's just different, not necessarily better. Not all ARPG's need to be the same! I wouldn't want The Witcher 3 to be any other way than it is, and certainly not a copycat of other games to appease players who might not understand why Geralt controls the way he does.

What are you even talking about? CDPR if you are watching ignore this man and do your thing.

Indeed!

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member

"Wasn't that successful"
166.gif

Considering that Witcher 1-2 sold 6 millions in 6 years and Witcher 3 started with a bang of 4 millions in just two weeks, yeah totally not that successful...

Sevenfold

Considering that Witcher 1-2 sold 6 millions in 6 years and Witcher 3 started with a bang of 4 millions in just two weeks, yeah totally not that successful...

My media blackout served me well. I didn't know it wasn't out on Mac and had no idea it had 36 endings, and that's after one full playthrough, B&W, and half way through NG+ with another DLC to do. About 200 hours so far (of milling about looking at scenery lol)

Unai

I don't think standards have anything to do with it (thank you!)

Consider this: the combat is actually great, but you just don't like it.

The way I see it is that Geralt, despite his enhancements, isn't the Superman you might have played in other games; he's not meant to be able to move and react with lightning-fast responses - despite many of you thinking he should. He's powerful and resourceful but fights are a struggle with his physical limits (the CGI launch trailer hints at this). And (I find) the combat is exhilarating because of that.

I love the combat in Dragon's Dogma too, but it's just different, not necessarily better. Not all ARPG's need to be the same! I wouldn't want The Witcher 3 to be any other way than it is, and certainly not a copycat of other games to appease players who might not understand why Geralt controls the way he does.

Indeed!

This is very far from the actual problems with The Witcher 3. There are tons of games where you are not superman but they still control well, for instance, Sleeping Dogs. Granted most of these games are not huge open world RPGs except Dragon's Dogma and Kingdoms of Amalur, but we are not talking about a small franchise anymore. I think it's valid to criticise the combat and movement in CDPR games the same way that it's valid to do so in Bethesda's games.

You could also consider that the combat is not good, but you like it either way.

jediyoshi

This is very far from the actual problems with The Witcher 3. There are tons of games where you are not superman but they still control well, for instance, Sleeping Dogs. Granted most of these games are not huge open world RPGs except Dragon's Dogma and Kingdoms of Amalur, but we are not talking about a small franchise anymore. I think it's valid to criticise the combat and movement in CDPR games the same way that it's valid to do so in Bethesda's games.

You could also consider that the combat is not good, but you like it either way.

I'm still just seeing preference and quality being conflated here.

Some Nobody

"Wasn't that successful"
166.gif

Ugh. This fuckin' place. You'd think it'd be obvious that I meant: it's not successful enough for them to basically NOT put out any other game for the rest of the gen and probably/hopefully well into PS5/XBox Scorpio era.

Unless Gwent becomes the next Hearthstone, in which case they can do whatever the fuck they want.

In terms of sheer sales metrics Rockstar's GTA V (a game I don't even like) crushes TW3 and still people ask on the daily "What the fuck is Rockstar doing?" And THEY'RE attached to a publisher that develops games quite frequently.

But y'know, whatever. Let's not focus on that. Let's post some more memes.

RK9039

"Wasn't that successful"
166.gif

yaezgwvdzs2a.png

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Ugh. This fuckin' place. You'd think it'd be obvious that I meant: it's not successful enough for them to basically NOT put out any other game for the rest of the gen and probably/hopefully well into PS5/XBox Scorpio era.

Unless Gwent becomes the next Hearthstone, in which case they can do whatever the fuck they want.

In terms of sheer sales metrics Rockstar's GTA V (a game I don't even like) crushes TW3 and still people ask on the daily "What the fuck is Rockstar doing?" And THEY'RE attached to a publisher that develops games quite frequently.

CDPR isn't just a developer, they run their own games ecosystem much like steam. Keep in mind the first witcher game took 5 years to make. Witcher 3 took a similar time. This isn't a company known for cranking out games

cackhyena

You're just some nobody. What do you even know, maaaaaan.

Yet that's exactly what they did with the first two witcher games.

I mean the fact that Gwent is coming out so soon after The Witcher 3 is pretty remarkable

Just remember that development isn't CD Projekt's only source of income

Tovarisc

R* has been building brand image of GTA franchise for long, long time now. It would be embarrassing if their flagship IP started to suck and not move units. Compared to them CDPR is totally green kid at new corner and barely started building it up. Also people wonder about what R* is doing because R* is known for quality games and people do like some quality games.

Also very possible that CDP actually can afford not to force CP2077 out this gen, after all they are supported by long term sales of their games and things like GOG. They are making decent bank all things considered. That isn't indicator of any kind when game is coming out. I think they have hinted that they have initial release date written down already and hoping to make it, but open to push it back if quality of game demands it.

Some Nobody

You're just some nobody. What do you even know, maaaaaan.

Super clever. :p

CDPR isn't just a developer, they run their own games ecosystem much like steam. Keep in mind the first witcher game took 5 years to make. Witcher 3 took a similar time. This isn't a company known for cranking out games

TW3 was announced in 2012 when it was pretty early in development. Took them actually four and a half years, and that was with a delay. Saying 2021 is "reasonable" is basically giving them S-E levels of dev. time.

I love the combat in Dragon's Dogma too, but it's just different, not necessarily better

Certainly...one way to see things I guess.

People, is everybody aware that prompting CDPR to improve on their next game's controls benefits everyone? If the way Geralt moved and fought didn't bother you too much, surely you will respect the fact that a lot of others did and yearn for improvement? I have no idea why everybody feels so personally insulted when I point out the game's flawed controls and combat. I personally found them outright shit, others weren't bothered by them; the truth is probably somewhere inbetween but certainly, we can agree there's a lot of room for improvement. There have been dozens of threads even on GAF about it. It's for everybody to see.

"It's a big open world RPG so it can't have controls as tight and responsive as Soulsborne!" (and variations of that statement) is certainly the laziest excuse I've seen. Dragon's Dogma's controls are exactly as good as any of the Souls games' so please.

Tovarisc

People, is everybody aware that prompting CDPR to improve on their next game's controls benefits everyone? If the way Geralt moved and fought didn't bother you too much, surely you will respect the fact that a lot of others did and yearn for improvement? I have no idea why everybody feels so personally insulted when I point out the games flawed controls and combat. I personally found them outright shit, others weren't bothered by them; the truth is probably somewhere inbetween but certainly, we can agree there's a lot of room for improvement. There have been dozens of threads even on GAF about it. It's for everybody to see.

"It's a big open world RPG so it can't have controls as tight and responsive as Soulsborne!" is certainly the laziest excuse I've seen. Dragon's Dogma is exactly as good as any of the Souls games so please.

I think peoples issue with TW3's control criticism is that most of it isn't anything more than shallow "lol, it's at tier below utter garbage shit tier because it's SO bad!". Feedback like that doesn't help anyone and doesn't tell anyone what your issues with system is. People who break it down and explain what and why is broken in their opinion are usually more well received.

Btw, this post isn't aimed at anyone in particular. Just seen posts like that all over and very, very few actually go any deeper than that. Saying something is shit tier and how devs just need take DS/BB/DD combat isn't very helpful.

Which do you think will come out first, Cyberpunk 2077 or Death Stranding?

I think Kojima will run out of cash during pre-dev period where they are just concepting stuff.

Edit: Holy shitballs, how gif looking THAT bad can be so huge? ugh

Exentryk

Need to see gameplay for this game. Still not sure I'll be buying it, but if it has melee combat, I just might.

What I'm really waiting for is Witcher 4! Someone put me in cryosleep along with this Griffin.

PS9PJcC.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
CDPR isn't just a developer, they run their games ecosystem much like steam. Keep in mind the first witches game to 5 years to make. Witcher 3 tool a similar time. This isn't a company known for cranking out games

GOG isn't a exactly a big money-maker, though, to be clear:

CDPR's Q1 FY 2016 said:
The revenues of the CD PROJEKT Capital Group in the first quarter of 2016 were 86 995 thousand PLN. The largest contribution to this figure is from licensing royalties aggregated with sales of products (63 667 thousand PLN),
associated with ongoing high sales volume of The Witcher: Wild Hunt. Most of the reported revenues from sales of goods and materials (23 223 thousand PLN) were attributable to GOG.com (20 103 thousand PLN), with a lower
contribution of sales of physical components of box sets (carriers, boxes etc.) by CD PROJEKT RED (3 117 thousand PLN).

20,103,000 PLN is approximately USD$5.17m. More than enough to sustain the company, no doubt, but not exactly "Bugger our fans; let's never release another game" revenue. ;)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Super clever. :p

TW3 was announced in 2012 when it was pretty early in development. Took them actually four and a half years, and that was with a delay. Saying 2021 is "reasonable" is basically giving them S-E levels of dev. time.
TW3 started development after the TW2 was released (2011), announcement is nowhere near the same as dev time. 5 years from expectatio isn't all that strange DA:O took 5 years every single witcher game has taken at least 4 years between entries.

Due to lower wages in Poland they can afford to have longer Dec times. They're no EA or Activision their long term shareholders don't have the same expectations.

Take Two is also awfully managed outside of GTA. For the most part they take massive in the majority of years GTA is not released in.

Amazing that the controls of Witcher 3 are brought up as a concern, as if a Polish made PC-centric RPG is expected to play like the miraculous offspring of DMC and Zelda.

Some Nobody

GOG isn't a exactly a big money-maker, though, to be clear:

20,103,000 PLN is approximately USD$5.17m. More than enough to sustain the company, no doubt, but not exactly "Bugger our fans; let's never release another game" revenue. ;)

Nah, CDPR can just skate by on GOG and sales of Witcher 3 in 2020, nbd. :p

Edit:

To be clear, I've got this game pegged for 2018. Roughly five years after the title was announced, with room for it to be pushed into 2019. I just happen to think 2021 is somewhat of a ridiculous date to see and go "Yeah, that makes sense" lol. And to be even clearer--if it took that long I'd still buy it, I'd just need to be reminded that it exists. :D But plenty of the "take as long as you want" crew would likely have become completely infuriated by then.

Tovarisc

To be clear, I've got this game pegged for 2018. Roughly five years after the title was announced, with room for it to be pushed into 2019. I just happen to think 2021 is somewhat of a ridiculous date to see and go "Yeah, that makes sense" lol. And to be even clearer--if it took that long I'd still buy it, I'd just need to be reminded that it exists. :D But plenty of the "take as long as you want" crew would likely have become completely infuriated by then.

Witcher 3 tied basically whole CDPR until it came out in 2015. At that point they were able to move bodies to projects like GWENT and CP2077. I wouldn't be surprised if CP2077 didn't enter full dev before early 2016. It was announced super early yes (2013), but at that point they were doing very early concept stuff with very tiny team afaik. Like others have said it was announced super early so they could get eyes on studio and hire bodies for the team. So if we are thinking 4-5 year dev time for this then 2019-2020 release isn't so odd prediction.

c0Zm1c

Maybe the difference really is just keyboard and mouse (my preference by a country mile) versus controller then, because I wouldn't say Sleeping Dogs controls particularly well with the former. It feels "made for controller" Not terrible, I'll say, but it certainly doesn't control as nice as The Witcher 3 does with keyboard and mouse.

But what do others think who play The Witcher 3 with keyboard and mouse?

I have no idea why everybody feels so personally insulted when I point out the game's flawed controls and combat.
It's probably because people who don't agree somehow have "low ass standards" :p

A bladerunner-esque RPG sounds right up my street. Deux Ex (1) is one of my all time favorite games, and Bladerunner one of my favourite movies.

But having played (briefly) the previous two Witcher games I'm not getting too excited. I couldn't bear the combat, it seemed less refined than Skyrim even, just wasn't for me.

Plus the teenage fantasy aspect of the storylines was hugely off-putting.

dr_rus said and I agreed: "before 2021". Technically 2018 is before 2021.

Semantically, I mean early 2020 or late 2019.

Either way, don't get hung up too much about it man.

People, is everybody aware that prompting CDPR to improve on their next game's controls benefits everyone? If the way Geralt moved and fought didn't bother you too much, surely you will respect the fact that a lot of others did and yearn for improvement? I have no idea why everybody feels so personally insulted when I point out the game's flawed controls and combat. I personally found them outright shit, others weren't bothered by them; the truth is probably somewhere inbetween but certainly, we can agree there's a lot of room for improvement. There have been dozens of threads even on GAF about it. It's for everybody to see.

"It's a big open world RPG so it can't have controls as tight and responsive as Soulsborne!" (and variations of that statement) is certainly the laziest excuse I've seen. Dragon's Dogma's controls are exactly as good as any of the Souls games' so please.

I like Dragon's Dogma, a lot. But it's truly only because of its combat and enemies design.
The world is a fucking bore to explore, the story is shit. Basically everything is subpar except for 2 those things.

I also love Dark Souls, but let's not pretend it excels at everything, except the combat.
Still, I hold Dark Souls higher than Dragon Dogma in term of world building.

You don't see those who likes Dragon's Dogma or Dark Souls called "low ass standards" when they still can enjoy the things they do worse than The Witcher, yet you call people who like The Witcher 3's combat "low ass standards".

See why people get insulted?

EDIT: double post, lol.

Which do you think will come out first, Cyberpunk 2077 or Death Stranding?

Oooh fun game! Definitely going with TW3 (2019 earliest).
CDPR have a bigger studio and probably a better idea of their vision for the game than maybe what Kojima has at present.

Either way it sucks we have to wait a long time for either.

A bladerunner-esque RPG sounds right up my street. Deux Ex (1) is one of my all time favorite games, and Bladerunner one of my favourite movies.

But having played (briefly) the previous two Witcher games I'm not getting too excited. I couldn't bear the combat, it seemed less refined than Skyrim even, just wasn't for me.

Plus the teenage fantasy aspect of the storylines was hugely off-putting.

Trust me, play TW3 sometime and change your life haha. It's not like Dark Souls level combat but perfectly serviceable and miles ahead of Skyrims laughable wiffle bat fights.

And the story along with quest lines is more mature and authentic than 95% of what this industry puts out in general.

RK9039

Need to see gameplay for this game. Still not sure I'll be buying it, but if it has melee combat, I just might.

What I'm really waiting for is Witcher 4! Someone put me in cryosleep along with this Griffin.

PS9PJcC.gif

Witcher 4 with Ciri, it needs to happen.

jettpack

If it controls as shit as Witcher 3, I'll skip it. No excuse to release games this ambitious with controls this laughable again. They should absolutely focus more on this.

They patched that within the first month. It was fine honestly. Not the best, but it was fine.

Venom Fox

Banned
You guys think 2018/19 is when it'll come out? They've been working on it in some capacity for years now. 2017 release with E3 2017 announcement/re reveal. The spoke of they want to surprise us with the announcement. The gaming industry is moving towards a Fallout 4 style short announce and release strategy. It works and it's the GOAT strategy IMO.

The time for 2 year gaps in between announce and releases is long gone.

pablito

Pretty sure most people want the controls to be better. Your post was still trash though.

Witcher 4 with Ciri, it needs to happen.

After
travelling to those worlds with Avellach,
I really want this to happen. They'll need to nerf her though.

Top Bottom