• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 is DirectX 12 exclusive on PC

Mhmmm 2077

During a recent interview with PC Games Hardware, Gollent said: "Thanks to the introduction of DX12 support for Windows 7 SP1 that Microsoft introduced last year, the game will run on this system. We do, and will continue to, test Cyberpunk 2077 on Windows 7 in an attempt to iron out any edge-cases that might arise. Unfortunately, Windows 8 didn't receive its variant of DX12 libraries".

He added: "Regarding DX12 Ultimate, Cyberpunk 2077 will work absolutely fine with all DX12-compatible GPUs. What the "Ultimate" feature set does is it allows us to do more if the hardware allows for it. We opted to go with DX12 for two main reasons".

Gollent continued: "Firstly, it is the standard API for the Xbox platforms, and with the game also coming to Xbox One, we naturally wanted to have it implemented as soon as possible. Secondly, it is the birthplace of DXR, and given we had plans to invest in DXR very early on, that made the choice to go with DX12 a pretty straightforward one".

Apparently will work also on Windows 7, but to fully use the DXR features, you will need Windows 10.

Cyberpunk 2077 will release on November 19th, 2020 basically everywhere. My first thread, yay!

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I’m ready to play on ultra and RTX on. But, if the RTX will give the FPS a huge hit then it’ll be turned off.

RespawnX

Thats a shame. Wish could Vulkan bring to the game as well.
Why no vulkan?

They have a marketing deal with Xbox and focusing on Xbox One / Series X, so I get it why they went DX12 (Ultimate). Maybe we get Vulkan with a later patch but performance of both APIs is comparable anyway - at least running on Windows. I totally see Cyberpunk 2077 as one of the first games making use of XsX Raytracing capabilities early 2021.

Fake

the way it should be.

well, i mean...if it was on Mac OS + Linux then great but there is absolutely no reason to release on older Windows versions.

Being not OK with console exclusivity, but not OK with API exclusivity is a new one. At the same time games will come to Series X and base Xbox One... no reason to release on older Xbox versions, right?

Top Bottom