• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077, map verticality and enterable buildings

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: PlaystationLifeStyle
Augment me if old

"Night City holds 6 districts, but I can't give you an exact number in square meters, because no one counted this yet. Also, this is tricky for an urban environment - Night City has lots of buildings and these buildings have floors. You can have 120 square meters of space technically taking up 60m2 of space. In a tall building, and we will have many of them explorable, each floor can house a lot of activities. Floors stack. The Witcher 3 was, in a way, much flatter - the activities were scattered. Here, the world can be huge, but it can be huge upwards, or downwards."

cyberpnk-2077-facebook-message.jpg

Alebrije

And if you sum the sewers could be even bigger but just hope this vertial approach does not gives the game a claustrophobic feeling. Also would be good if there is something on the map to explore besides Night city.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
To be honest, after watching the E3 demo in that hallway, it made me immediately think of the raid and dredd, fighting up each tower block - hopefully more creativity there!

nkarafo

I wonder how much of this is hand crafted though? And how much will be copied-pasted?

It's not hard to make a building with many floors and let a program randomly generate the floors/rooms and then only hand craft the few rooms you want for a mission. The problem with this is that the randomly generated floors will not be interesting. They will look generic and won't have many differences between them other than furniture being moved around and maybe having a different texture. Copying-pasting hand crafted rooms will also make the buildings boring to explore after a while.

Unique hand crafted floors and rooms will be time consuming though and will probably increase the file size by a lot. You also need many floors and rooms to be "useless" since you don't need everything in a virtual world to have a purpose, otherwise it will feel fake, as if it was made for the player in mind.

So how are they going to tackle this? I don't think there's an open world game that doesn't suffer from this when it comes to interiors. You either have very few interesting interiors or a lot of generic ones.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

I wonder how much of this is hand crafted though? And how much will be copied-pasted?

It's not hard to make a building with many floors and let a program randomly generate the floors/rooms and then only hand craft the few rooms you want for a mission. The problem with this is that the randomly generated floors will not be interesting. They will look generic and won't have many differences between them other than furniture being moved around and maybe having a different texture. Copying-pasting hand crafted rooms will also make the buildings boring to explore after a while.

Unique hand crafted floors and rooms will be time consuming though and will probably increase the file size by a lot. You also need many floors and rooms to be "useless" since you don't need everything in a virtual world to have a purpose, otherwise it will feel fake, as if it was made for the player in mind.

So how are they going to tackle this? I don't think there's an open world game that doesn't suffer from this when it comes to interiors. You either have very few interesting interiors or a lot of generic ones.

Reminds me of world of warcraft, every cave looking exactly the same. Got old fast.

xrnzaaas

People complain too much about the leaked map looking like it's small. It's still going to be an enormous game if indeed it will have many open buildings with huge verticality involved.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
People complain too much about the leaked map looking like it's small. It's still going to be an enormous game if indeed it will have many open buildings with huge verticality involved.
true. the map is built up and downwards. we're just seeing the map from above. we'll be able to drive down all these streets but we'll be able to go into a lot of the buildings.

think of the map as being 3d instead of 2d.

a 2d map: Los Santos City in GTA V. the city feels lifeless and most of the buildings are there just for decoration. you can only enter buildings such as: player house, gun/car/tattoo/cloth shops, garages. most buildings you can only access during particular missions.

i don't think we'll be able to go into every building in Night City but it's not a flat city. the area might be smaller but as we've known forever is that the map has been built upwards and down.

Siri

Banned
I’m playing Metro Exodus right now, and although the areas are large, they’re not huge - but the entire world is ‘crafted’. Everywhere you go in this game there’s something interesting to look at and explore. Just give me more of that. Big open, same-y worlds are no longer interesting to me.

EDMIX

You don't know that though bud, this has been my issue with such assumptions.

What factual statement objectively based on the number of buildings has this team told you will be in this game for you to reach to that conclusion?

For all you know, they are simply marketing the game they best they can. I've seen nothing and heard nothing from the team to actually expect it to be larger then any other open world title. So until they tell use how "many open buildings" we might want to relax with jumping to those conclusions. For all you know the game is limited by a handful of buildings and a few shops and a bunch of invisible walls. This wouldn't be the first time this team has omitted information to sell a game...

EDMIX

Los Santos City in GTA V. the city feels lifeless and most of the buildings are there just for decoration. you can only enter buildings such as: player house, gun/car/tattoo/cloth shops, garages. most buildings you can only access during particular missions.

Ok....yet how do you know that might not be similar to how they are doing this game? What statement has CDPR released to actually factually state it has more then what you'd see in GTAV for example? So....is this true or is this simply what you want to be true? So I would relax on that until the game is actually out as for all you know in CP2077 "most of the buildings are there just for decoration". All I'm getting from this game is that it is open format Deus Ex, as in all the missions in Deus Ex, but in a more open world. That isn't really anything new btw, I just haven't seen or heard enough of the stuff you can do outside the main mission to actually suggest the city's design was created for anything other then the main missions. A lot of what I've read is stuff like boxing in that gym, a shooting range etc. My issue?

Well....you can do many of that in GTAV, yet by your own words mind you " you can only enter buildings such as: player house, gun/car/tattoo/cloth shops, garages. most buildings you can only access during particular missions" so for all you know, that is what this game actually might be.

I've yet to hear anything official to suggest otherwise tbh.

The fact that the game now only has 1 apartment and you can no longer buy many of them should concern you about just how limited this game is going to be.

Top Bottom