• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D4 PC |OT| The Good Ones Don't Die Young

Parsnip

I lied. It just took roughly one hour (and quite a bit of that to replicate the exact ini format the default launcher uses).

Just replace the existing launcher with this one:
http://filehorst.de/d/bgvxwrtD

launcher82ul6.png

Hahaha, wow.
I don't have the game yet, but I grabbed it anyway.

Durante

Just finished Episode 1, and I'm amazed by how much stuff I apparently missed. I thought I was being rather thorough. Considering how small the settings are it's amazing how much OCD-fuel they crammed into it.

Yuterald

Just finished Episode 1, and I'm amazed by how much stuff I apparently missed. I thought I was being rather thorough. Considering how small the settings are it's amazing how much OCD-fuel they crammed into it.

Wait until you're only missing 1 Observation and 1 Object in an episode and have replayed that very same episode 10+ times only to be greeted by an incomplete collection screen. The true OCD game begins here.

Falk

that puzzling face
Can anyone who's completed the Steam version humor me and try replaying an episode (any one), get to a phone, save, return to title and continue?

It's -still- making me start from the prologue white lake sequence instead of loading my save file and it's driving me completely nuts.

Vlodril

Wanted to ask. During an action scene i got the microphone action but nothing i pressed or did worked and got a poor in that section. What was i supposed to do there if anyone knows.

Would be nice if the game explained the icons :p

Spoo

Yeah, I thought I was kicking major ass because the achievements were flowing like wine, and when I finished the whole game and went back to see what I missed -- well, it was like half the game.

Durante

Wanted to ask. During an action scene i got the microphone action but nothing i pressed or did worked and got a poor in that section. What was i supposed to do there if anyone knows.

Would be nice if the game explained the icons :p
I interpreted the prompt as shaking the mouse, and that seemed to work.

Steam serials are up on Playism now, click your game page. Game is likely to rely on word of mouth and YouTubers. I don't think many multi platform outlets are going to run another review for this PC release. GameSpot's weekly release video highlighted some pixel platformer port coming to Wii U but not this.

Durante

Don't worry, since I made a blog post about it I'm sure that literally dozens of people (or more) will learn about it who wouldn't have otherwise.

KainXVIII

I don't get it - how to look up/down with gamepad? I can do it only with mouse (holding middle button which is not very comfortable)
upd. - oh, i get it, you need to hold down bumpers..

atomsk

Party Pooper
am I looking in the wrong place, or has nobody crafted the D4 cards yet?

I don't see any wallpaper/emoticons in the market.

Falk

that puzzling face
Waiting on that patch. After two aborted completionist runs (one where I discovered my saves wouldn't continue, second where a crash after 5 hours forced me to restart... and my saves wouldn't continue) I'm waiting for either issue to be resolved before I do my 3rd attempt at NG+.

:(

It's amazing how, despite the performance issues I'm getting, the game is still a blast to go through. Really speaks volumes about how good the content is. That's not to say some of my issues aren't a pain, though--severe stuttering to straight-out crashes or freezes and out-of-sync cutscenes have hampered some of my enjoyment.

Thank goodness for auto-saves.

I just started Episode Two and that's what made me seek out the thread. I got MAJOR stuttering during the cutscene and I was all, "NOOOOO, WHY IS THIS HAPPENING!?" because it seemed like a total mind-fuck and I was basically getting a slideshow with audio cutting out randomly. And now I'll have to YouTube the cutscene.

It's most definitely my bad CPU, though. I am in need of an upgrade. Even playing windowed at 1080 with no VSync or dynamic shadows, I get jank here and there, but for the most part, it's fine.

I guess it's time to try 720.

I know it seems like I'm painting a negative picture with my post, but I still wholeheartedly and 100% recommend people still buy this.

aravuus

It's only a few hours long, it's a one or two sitting experience.

I don't doubt that, but I don't want to play it before all episodes/seasons are out. I don't like starting a game knowing I won't be able to actually finish it on my own pace, that I have to wait for the devs to finish it first.

I'm the same with TV shows. GoT is pretty much the only show ever that I watch the new episode of every week, otherwise, with interesting shows, I wait until at least one or two whole seasons are out so I can binge watch them.

Astarte

I got this game during the steam sale and I'm pretty sure I found my GOTY so far. Everything about this game just clicks with me and I adore it. I wish the framerate wasn't so weird from time to time.

ArjanN

I don't doubt that, but I don't want to play it before all episodes/seasons are out. I don't like starting a game knowing I won't be able to actually finish it on my own pace, that I have to wait for the devs to finish it first.

I'm the same with TV shows. GoT is pretty much the only show ever that I watch the new episode of every week, otherwise, with interesting shows, I wait until at least one or two whole seasons are out so I can binge watch them.

I think in binging stuff you sometimes lose out a bit on the experience. Like cliffhangers and the discussion/speculation with other fans, and just letting stuff sink in a bit, but I know that's not for everyone.

I this case though, the more people jump in now the more likely it is there actually will be more episodes.

aravuus

I think in binging stuff you sometimes lose out a bit on the experience. Like cliffhangers and the discussion/speculation with other fans, and just letting stuff sink in a bit, but I know that's not for everyone.

I this case though, the more people jump in now the more likely it is there actually will be more episodes.

True, but when I have to choose between waiting for the very final episode to release and going through the game on my own then or going through each episode when it's out and inevitably lose some of my interest during the months it's gonna take for the next episode to come out, my choice is usually easy.

If there was an active D4 thread full of speculation and such, I might have done things differently. But this thread is pretty dead.

Parsnip

FYI, there was a patch pushed about 2 hours ago.

- Various bugs fixed.

- The game is now compatible with new DLC "D4: In Game Document Full Unlock Key".

Those are some detailed notes.

Falk

that puzzling face
"Various bugs fixed" is kinda ambiguous. Oh well, I said I'd put off my 100% run till a patch since the overlapping issues of not being able to save progress once you finish the game + memory leak -> crash made it impossible. Guess I'll take it out for a spin and see what's different.

Edit:

- Replay Episode, Chapter 1
- Wait out the cinematic, start in lavatory, exit, turn around, pick up and use phone, put down
- Back to title
- "Continue"
- Still starts at prologue.

SIGH. I guess the game doesn't want me to play it :|

Tizoc

Urgh posted in the wrong thread before but hopefully someone can help
I can't seem to get 60 FPS without disabling VSNYC
but if I disable VSYNC I get screen tearing :/

This is my lappy's specs
GPU: GTX 770M, 16 gb ram
CPU: Intel i7-4700hq CPU @2.40 ghz

What's causing this? This is an EU3 game right? All other EU3 games dont give me this issue.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just grabbed this, but according to this thread it's optimal to play with the mouse. Anyone here played through it with a controller? I'm gonna be playing from the couch and I'm interested to know if the 360 pad controls are too awkward for this one.

Corpekata

Banned
Just grabbed this, but according to this thread it's optimal to play with the mouse. Anyone here played through it with a controller? I'm gonna be playing from the couch and I'm interested to know if the 360 pad controls are too awkward for this one.

D4 released with controller support on Xbox One. You can likely find a load of impressions for it in the old OT, initial reviews, etc.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
D4 released with controller support on Xbox One. You can likely find a load of impressions for it in the old OT, initial reviews, etc.
Thanks, I'll look into it. I wasn't aware that the Xbox version had controller support.

Stevey

I played it on Xbox One with a pad and mouse on PC, mouse is definitely a lot easier.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anyway to disable the stamina mechanic? I just want to relax and explore.

Phil Fish

Banned
Is there no way to bypass the launcher? I'd rather just go into the game with what settings I already have. Any help would be appreciated.

Top Bottom