• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Da Vinci's Demons - Season 2 - YO. DAVINCIGUY. BRO. - Saturdays on Starz

Status
Not open for further replies.

drspeedy

Episode 2 - 391K viewers. Third lowest rated episode of the series.

welp

(Episode 1 was 578K for reference)

It's underwhelming, sadly. I don't think season 3 is in the cards :(

Play up the action if needed, that's part of TV these days.

Play up the "sexy time" if needed, that's expected. Again, TV.

Play up the bi/gay/curious angle. It's politically edgy and probably historically accurate.

Play up the faux exploration and 16th century neo-science.... Heck, make him a modern engineer and give him a 3D printer. Make him the Florentine Einstein if you must.

But FFS just pick something and do it!!!!! Not a little dabble of everything. Sophomore curse maybe

I can't imagine the budget is cheap for these "period" shows either. Hopefully viewership picks up but sadly it will probably stay the same or decline a bit and then we'll get the announcement it's not coming back for a third season. How was the viewership for the first season?

jstripes

Banned
Not related to this, I'm assuming:

Tco2niA.jpg

Volotaire

I'm surprised it took two episodes to resume the voyage, but I liked that there seems to be a satisfying conclusion to Leanardo and Lorenzo (presuming they never meet up again in the series). Would have liked to have known a bit more about Cosmos's role in the Son of Mithras considering the role the Medicis's have in the series.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'd hate to see this show end after just two seasons.

Well, it is a Starz show after all.

But FFS just pick something and do it!!!!! Not a little dabble of everything. Sophomore curse maybe

The rest of the season is supposed to be very Indiana Jones-y, so there's that.

I can't imagine the budget is cheap for these "period" shows either.

The first season had a budget of about 30 million, which averages to about 3.75 million dollars per episode. I'd imagine the second season has around a similar budget, though I can't find any data on that. Comparatively, season 3 of Game of Thrones cost about 6 million per episode and Starz' upcoming Outlander series is supposedly around 5 million. So, it's not, like, way up there, but it is among the more expensive shows on TV.

How was the viewership for the first season?

Season 1:

Episode 1: 1.04 million (2.14 million across all broadcasts for the premiere weekend)
Episode 2: 503K
Episode 3: 382K
Episode 4: 419K
Episode 5: 464K
Episode 6: 548K
Episode 7: 451K
Episode 8: 379K

Season 2:

Episode 1: 578K (2 million across all broadcasts for the premiere weekend)
Episode 2: 391K

So basically, based off the preliminary ratings of the first two episodes (important to remember - Starz is like HBO so they care about cumulative on demand numbers, DVD's and international sales, etc.) the show hasn't really grown at all from the first season. Which isn't good. The show is expensive to produce and it's getting only decent ratings, so that definitely doesn't bode well for a third season.

Magic City, which I can't imagine had a bigger budget than Da Vinci's Demons, was considered to be "extremely expensive" and was cancelled after two seasons with similar ratings, so. But then again, unlike Da Vinci, Magic City wasn't really "on brand" for Starz and they apparently had a hard time getting their distributors to co market the show. The comparison is a little apples-to-oranges, but whatever.

And to be fair, it's still really early in the season. Ratings could go up and/or Starz could actually be happy with these numbers, so I'd say this panic is a little premature. :p

New episode tonight:
The Voyage of the Damned

Leonardo continues his search for the Book of Leaves; Lorenzo is forced to make sacrifices when Pope Sixtus takes aggressive measures against Florence; Lucrezia looks for new alliances in Rome.

Snake

Just finished catching up with the series. It's been a lot of fun, progressively getting better. I'm a little disappointed that the famed Dracula episode wasn't balls to wall crazy, but I can live with it.

The cast is better than I was expecting (I especially warmed up to Lorenzo). And I've got to give a special shout out to Captain Dragonetti for going from generic villain dude to pretty awesome character on the turn of a dime. The biggest surprise, however, is that Leonardo himself often feels like he's getting very little screen time. Though I suspect that'll change now with the way things are headed.

*Subbed*

Shit, secret twin brother reveal.

Holy shit, long lost black half-brother reveal.

Oh shit, duplicitous pope confrontation.

Hot damn, Vespucci was faking the betrayal!

Part 2: Assignment X Interview with Tom Riley
AX: What’s surprised you most about DA VINCI’S DEMONS so far?

RILEY: Well, I remember when we watched that first episode, we were surprised at how fun it was. We went, “Oh! It’s more entertaining than we expected, than any of us expected it to be.” It’s more of an adventure show. Because you do so many of these quite deep, difficult scenes, then you flip to the other thing – “Oh, it’s a romp.” And as it progresses season to season, it’s less so. It all gets a bit darker and the whole thing becomes more serialized. But certainly about the first season, I remember watching it and thinking, “Oh, okay, well, good. It’s that sort of show.”

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

The Ends of the Earth

Leonardo attempts to navigate the Atlantic without maps; Lucrezia is snuck into the Vatican for a vital meeting; and Lorenzo is recognized on his way to Naples.

Ruruja

It was okay. It made me think again what it must have been like for them to first discover we orbit around the sun, rather than everything around us. Going from the most important thing to an insignificant dot in the universe.

I thought it was a pretty good episode, but definite setup. They handles the four disparate storylines well. It's a concern when they split up the main characters for an extended period of time, but it's interesting enough.

Leo's dad is such a dick.

The Counterfeit Pope is the DICKEST of DICKS.

The other dude, I forget his name (who is helping Lucrezia) is hilarious cause the entire time he isn't able to properly make up his mind.

The former slaves killing themselves in a group suicide was fucked up. Man, if only they'd lived... I wonder how the revelations would have messed with them.

During the storm, why was everyone in Riario's ship bailing? They're in the middle of the ocean. Where are they bailing to? A dinghy? Also, Riario had Legolas hair in the past, it's hilarious!

New episode tonight:
The Sun and the Moon

Riario and Nico are reunited with Leonardo in the New World; Lorenzo tries to save Florence with the help of a former flame; Clarice works to retain control of the Medici bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom