• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories appear on iTunes

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceCold

Sampled both Discovery and Homework on Amazon. Went with Discovery for the time being.

Homework has a been of a more rugged sound to it but this is one of my favorite song from the album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZSj3FbdFa4

I also love how the album has Revolution 909, Da Funk, Phoenix, Fresh, and Around the World all consecutively. I fuckin love those songs.

Start with Discovery....then go to Homework.....then top it off with the best of all. Alive 2007. If you're still hungry go for Human After All afterwards.

No you should listen to them in order of release date imo. Also you won't appreciate Alive 2007 as much if you haven't heard the albums separately first.

Don't forget about Alive 1997! Too many people sleep on it.

gdt

No you should listen to them in order of release date imo. Also you won't appreciate Alive 2007 as much if you haven't heard the albums separately first.

Nah, Discovery is way more accessible than HW.

And yeah thats why I had him do HW and Discovery before Alive. Take time to soak those two in before moving onto Alive 2007.

Majine

Banned
Yeah man, it's been known for a while he's been out there talking about how great the album is. Also, they have been working with famed 70s Italian producer Giorgio Moroder on this album.

Kc72G.jpg

Woah, is that "them" in the background?

Zapages

Homework has a been of a more rugged sound to it but this is one of my favorite song from the album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZSj3FbdFa4

I also love how the album has Revolution 909, Da Funk, Phoenix, Fresh, and Around the World all consecutively. I fuckin love those songs.

I personally went from Discovery (Thanks Toonami) to Homework then to Alive 1997. Then I went to Human After All. Then finally Alive 2007.

You'll really appreciate Alive 2007.

Something about us is one of the best songs by Daft Punk...

Does anyone here remember Daft Club?

Cmagus

Man I need this so bad. Glad it at least has a time frame but it's so far away. That sample sounds so good certainly has a funky vibe.
Does anyone here remember Daft Club?

Yep I think I still have my card somewhere that came with my copy of Discovery.

I don't think dance music is for you.

I have gotten into listening to house, electro house. Daft Punk seems to lean toward house sometimes, but they sound more repetitive then most of the stuff Ive been finding since I started listening to electronic, dance-like music. Its like they work with much smaller formula then other artists. Discovery sounds like it was composed minimally. I havent listened to their other stuff though. Maybe Ive been spoiled by listening to other electronic music, hehe.

NotLiquid

Homework is kind of hard to get in to depending on the kind of person you are. I know of people who love Daft Punk but have never even bothered with that record save for Da Funk.

It's just a pure, simple house album with not too many hooks to it. It's an album you'd play at a club. If anyone starts off with Daft Punk, Discovery is the easiest entry point.

EDIT: God, Guy is so chill. Going from what I know about him I'd easily be able to relate to him. He seems like he'd be a cool person to talk to.

IceCold

There's a video out there of a French show where the host is walking in a crowed street and you see Thomas pass by with his wife. Pretty funny stuff, no one knows who he is lol. Thomas also does sets with other guys from Ed Banger Records there's a lot of pictures and videos of him. Unfortunately he has bad hearing and doesn't do as many sets nowadays. Guy-Manuel seems to be a lot shyer though. There's very little footage of him, even recent.

Also have you guys ever seen this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nyRaSyQbceQ#!

There's a few Daft Punk records that people are forgetting about, but I would consider these "unofficial" or at least "spin-offs," at best.

Daft Club (someone above mentioned this. Pretty sure one or two of the songs were contributed by Thomas and Guy, the rest from the Daft Club forum community)

Human After All Remixes (Japan-only release)

Tron: Legacy R3CONF1GUR3D (again, a bunch of remixes. Not sure if DP had any input here)

I enjoyed the Tron OST quite a bit, but I definitely echo some of the thoughts from previous posters. It simply doesn't come CLOSE to the same LEAGUE as DP's studio albums.

I get the Human After All hate. I don't share much of it; I can appreciate it for the low-fi experiment that it is, and one thing I've always appreciated about DP is how much they change over time. No two albums are even close to the same. It's what keeps them totally relevant and awesome in my mind... Too often I totally lose interest in or start to hate an artist because they do the same thing (which I love) for three records, then go mainstream or totally change the sound without any precedent for doing so.

With Daft Punk, in contrast, I expect that. Which is why I'm creaming myself over RAM's old-school disco vibes. Hell, DP could go R&B on a future record and I know it'd be awesome.

Zapages

And "Teachers" the best song.

And I want a DP-helmet, now. :/

Teacher was good!

Honestly all Daft Punk albums have been good... Alive 2007 redeems Human After All (it felt rough on purpose). Oh well.

There's a few Daft Punk records that people are forgetting about, but I would consider these "unofficial" or at least "spin-offs," at best.

Daft Club (someone above mentioned this. Pretty sure one or two of the songs were contributed by Thomas and Guy, the rest from the Daft Club forum community)

Human After All Remixes (Japan-only release)

Tron: Legacy R3CONF1GUR3D (again, a bunch of remixes. Not sure if DP had any input here)

I enjoyed the Tron OST quite a bit, but I definitely echo some of the thoughts from previous posters. It simply doesn't come CLOSE to the same LEAGUE as DP's studio albums.

I get the Human After All hate. I don't share much of it; I can appreciate it for the low-fi experiment that it is, and one thing I've always appreciated about DP is how much they change over time. No two albums are even close to the same. It's what keeps them totally relevant and awesome in my mind... Too often I totally lose interest in or start to hate an artist because they do the same thing (which I love) for three records, then go mainstream or totally change the sound without any precedent for doing so.

With Daft Punk, in contrast, I expect that. Which is why I'm creaming myself over RAM's old-school disco vibes. Hell, DP could go R&B on a future record and I know it'd be awesome.

I have Daft Club and Human After All Remixes.

One of best songs they did was Stardust (1/2 of Daft Punk)

Also does one here remember Daft Punk Musique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDBgbFk2d-A

Awesome song.

Majine

Banned
Man, I so want a replica of Guy-manuels helmet.

I saw a youtube video long ago where a guy made one himself, with lights and everything. So jelly.

gdt

I have gotten into listening to house, electro house. Daft Punk seems to lean toward house sometimes, but they sound more repetitive then most of the stuff Ive been finding since I started listening to electronic, dance-like music. Its like they work with much smaller formula then other artists. Discovery sounds like it was composed minimally. I havent listened to their other stuff though. Maybe Ive been spoiled by listening to other electronic music, hehe.

Other EDM like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom