• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dan Harmon (co creator of Rick and Morty) deletes his Twitter account?

Airola

So, first we say people should delete their inappropriate Tweets. Not that it really matters as you'll still get fired even if you start to delete them.
Now we start looking for people who are deleting their tweets or even their whole accounts and assume they must've said or done something horrible.

"Person X should've deleted his tweets, what an idiot!"
*Person Y deletes tweets*
"Look, Person Y is deleting his tweets, there must be something horribly wrong with this guy!"

Goes to show you shouldn't align yourself with the social justice crowd because you'll eventually be labeled as a kiddy diddler anyway.

Gander

Banned
Twitter is torched as a platform. Why would anyone with something to lose want to post there.

It's not Twitter's fault people are stupid.

They tell if you want to go into business don't get a neck tattoo, same rule applies here if your going to into the entertainment industry don't post your offensive crazy shit online.

Zog

Banned
So, first we say people should delete their inappropriate Tweets. Not that it really matters as you'll still get fired even if you start to delete them.
Now we start looking for people who are deleting their tweets or even their whole accounts and assume they must've said or done something horrible.

"Person X should've deleted his tweets, what an idiot!"
*Person Y deletes tweets*
"Look, Person Y is deleting his tweets, there must be something horribly wrong with this guy!"
The only winning move is not to play.

Airola

The only winning move is not to play.

Lol, yeah :D

Too late for many (everyone?) though. This is like a video game that can only be beaten if you never turned it on in the first place. You were fucked as soon as you saw the opening screen and pressed start. Too bad you only know it right around the end of the game. The fact that you have started the game is now written in the console and it's duplicated infinitely in the cloud. You can never even try to beat the game again. You just shouldn't have played it at all.

Gander

Banned
Or you could try not being an asshole. People are like Hell no I'd sooner give up my twitter account than stop being an asshole and so here we are.

Gander

Banned
Is it that hard to understand? You have a show on a children's network, you can't be posting videos of you humping dolls.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Is it that hard to understand? You have a show on a children's network, you can't be posting videos of you humping dolls.

He has a show on Adult Swim. It is anything but a children’s network. Unless you consider Superjail, Assy McGee, Perfect Hair Forever, China, IL; and Your Pretty Face is Going To Hell to be wholesome children’s programming. Oh, and don’t forget “Too Many Cooks”.

Last edited:

Airola

Or you could try not being an asshole. People are like Hell no I'd sooner give up my twitter account than stop being an asshole and so here we are.

So a person is an asshole when he writes a joke that you don't like.
Besides, stopping to be "an asshole" doesn't help. It doesn't help if you have apologized what you said. It doesn't help if you delete your tweets. You will still get outed and fired. And now it seems people are looking for people who are deleting their tweets and accounts so that they can see more smoke while looking for fire.

Maybe things turn completely around and ten years from now people are considering these call out as people being assholes. So perhaps you should start deleting your posts immediately just in case. You never know what people will view as offensive in the future.

It isn't that long ago when people still thought it's ok to write dark humor and would've laughed at the assholes (usually conservatives) who were mad about the jokes. It's not that big of a step back in time to have most reasonable people being completely against what you are saying here. It might not be that big of a step for that attitude to come back either.

Besides, what the fuck is wrong with being an asshole? I'm sometimes an asshole. I bet you are too. I bet your and my parents are too.

Being an asshole is not a crime. Being a faulty person is not an unacceptable offense. People are using all their energy to protect all kinds of people who are not perfect, but once a person is not perfect because he can be said to be an asshole he'll get printed on the wanted poster and hunt down.

Papa

Banned
Goes to show you shouldn't align yourself with the social justice crowd because you'll eventually be labeled as a kiddy diddler anyway.

Or is it that kiddy diddlers align themselves with the social justice crowd? Kinda like how they go into teaching or clergy for the perception of moral virtue.

Grinchy

Banned
I wouldn't be shocked to find out he's psychotic. Everyone who shouts from the mountaintops that they respect women more than anyone else ends up being some kind of giant weirdo.

Airola

For fucks sake. What’s with the war on dark humor all of a sudden.

People are quadrupling down on the "your sayings from 10 years ago can and should be held against you" argument because of Trump.
Not sure if I'm serious with that one. I shouldn't be but I'm afraid I am.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Was humour allowed in the Soviet Union, Maoist China, Cambodia, and so on? There's a pattern here.

All extremists shut down humor because it is disruptive. The authoritarian right does it as well. The pattern is authoritarianism, not left or right wing bullshit.

This is why free speech is kind of sacred and shouldn’t have reprocussions.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Gonna add this- I also stood up for Roseanne. My views on this are unwavering. What you say in your private time shouldn’t affect your job. I’ll put money on that the Roseanne show without Roseanne is gonna flop and be gone in a season.

No one was really offended by that, it was all about virtue signaling. No one cares about what Gunn said. It also is all about virtue signaling. Social media is cancer.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Did you say that when Al Frankin got caught? I'm just curious.

Yes, I was on his side as well. He did nothing wrong. I’d still vote for him for president.

I also don’t find the grab em by the pussy comment offensive, it’s just fucking guys banting.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
All extremists shut down humor because it is disruptive. The authoritarian right does it as well. The pattern is authoritarianism, not left or right wing bullshit.

Exactly, that’s my point.

I wish I could go back in time to the 00s and tell people that all their dark humor, which was just the culture of the time, could one day cost them their jobs, just to see the looks on their faces.

For fucks sake. What’s with the war on dark humor all of a sudden.

This is dystopian, people simply liked dark humor in the prior decade, the thought that this would now have repercussions a decade later is a fucking nightmare.

Just let an old joke be an old joke and move on.

You hit the nail on the head, humor is an inherently chaotic thing, any absolutist who expects people to always toe the line is going to fundamentally hate humor.

Airola

Yes, I was on his side as well. He did nothing wrong. I’d still vote for him for president.

I also don’t find the grab em by the pussy comment offensive, it’s just fucking guys banting.

OH! Don't say that. You just made yourself into an asshole, and that's unacceptable! You also made yourself a shitty person. Being both asshole and shitty person are offenses that should haunt you from the moment you became one to the day you die. And not only it should haunt you but it will haunt you, the people writing on the internet will take care of that.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
I wish I could go back in time to the 00s and tell people that all their dark humor, which was just the culture of the time, could one day cost them their jobs, just to see the looks on their faces.

This is dystopian, people simply liked dark humor in the prior decade, the thought that this would now have repercussions a decade later is a fucking nightmare.

Just let an old joke be an old joke and move on.

You hit the nail on the head, humor is an inherently chaotic thing, any absolutist who expects people to always toe the line is going to fundamentally hate humor.

Humour is the only mechanism for telling the truth under authoritarianism. It's why Era hates jokes that don't reinforce their idiotic belief system.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
OH! Don't say that. You just made yourself into an asshole, and that's unacceptable! You also made yourself a shitty person. Being both asshole and shitty person are offenses that should haunt you from the moment you became one to the day you die. And not only it should haunt you but it will haunt you, the people writing on the internet will take care of that.

I’ll own my asshole title, thank you very much. I’m no saint, not going to try and canonize myself. Dark humor is my deepest love.

Send me to the gulags please. I gotta say, maybe Swift was right. We should be eating babies since far too many idiots are getting to adulthood.

Last edited:

Airola

I wonder how long Hugleikur Daggson stays online.
CFfPZAC.jpg

5mit4wQ.gif

Those "jokes" gave lots of fame to him. He got lots of money. And shockingly it was often people on the left who were laughing (or at least testing their limits) at them while the people on right seemed to be more offended by them. And even then when people were offended it only meant this guy has a warped sense of humor and people who didn't like his work just didn't read, look and buy them. They could take the fact that someone is making a joke that isn't making them laugh without wanting to set the guy on a pillory.

People are quadrupling down on the "your sayings from 10 years ago can and should be held against you" argument because of Trump.
Not sure if I'm serious with that one. I shouldn't be but I'm afraid I am.

I made the exact same connection the other day.

Option A) Admit that 10 year old comments shouldn't be held against someone as evidence that they're a horrible person now (grab her by the pussy).

Option B) Fire James Gunn.

Not that I'm defending Trump. It's just that he's said plenty of far more recent awful things that should be talked about instead, but people really don't want to let go of those pussy grabbing comments.

I think we're right.

Does Dan Harmon have children? I mean I think all this PC rubbish is pretty funny but there certainly is something sickening about raping a child.. Not sure how anyone would think that’s a funny joke to make?

Does Dan Harmon have children? I mean I think all this PC rubbish is pretty funny but there certainly is something sickening about raping a child.. Not sure how anyone would think that’s a funny joke to make?

Precisely because it's the worst, most tasteless thing you could joke about is what makes it funny.

That type of humor isn't everyone's cup of tea and that's fine, doesn't mean people deserve to lose their jobs over it though.

Cybrwzrd

Banned

Does it matter? Yezus, this shit is fucking retarded. God is dead. Nothing is sacred. Cracking a joke about horrible things is just gallows humor.

You fucking prudes.

A father walks into a pharmacy, goes to the counter and asks the pharmacist about getting birth control for his 11 year old daughter. "My god, your 11 year old is sexually active!" The pharmacist exclaims. The dad replies, "not really, she just lies there and cries."

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Does it matter? Yezus, this shit is fucking retarded. God is dead. Nothing is sacred. Cracking a joke about horrible things is just gallows humor.

You fucking prudes.

A father walks into a pharmacy, goes to the counter and asks the pharmacist about getting birth control for his 11 year old daughter. "My god, your 11 year old is sexually active!" The pharmacist exclaims. The dad replies, "not really, she just lies there and cries."
RIP

You fucking prudes.

HAHAHA! what a joke.

Dunki

This is now a true culture war with peoples careers on the line. Right now under fire. Trevor Noah for racist jokes he did 2013. Whoopi Goldberg, Patton Oswald, Johnny Depp and so on. This is the world a lot of so called progressive people have created.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
So I watched that clip and it's so fucked up and obviously humor and I actually laughed at it because of how unbelievably over the top and deranged it was. It was like that skit of Danny DeVito's scene in Always Sunny when he climbs out of the couch naked. Only 10x worse because of the sheer sickness of it, but still just beyond absurd and sick.

Gander

Banned
This is now a true culture war with peoples careers on the line. Right now under fire. Trevor Noah for racist jokes he did 2013. Whoopi Goldberg, Patton Oswald, Johnny Depp and so on. This is the world a lot of so called progressive people have created.

They use to have highly offensive imagery in children's cartoons. I'm sure somebody was saying they're taking away all the good cartoons. The truth is it may not seem like it but the progress is usually for the better. Maybe this era will stop idiots from sending so many dick pics because they want to have a career later.

Panda1

Banned

You fucking prudes.

How about some jokes about niggers and pakis- come on they are only jokrs we are not prudes, show us how edgy you are!

Dunki

They use to have highly offensive imagery in children's cartoons. I'm sure somebody was saying they're taking away all the good cartoons. The truth is it may not seem like it but the progress is usually for the better. Maybe this era will stop idiots from sending so many dick pics because they want to have a career later.
You do realize that the left right now is eating themselves up right? Fact is if the left is held by the same standard they accuse others of there wont be many left in reality. If you want to live in a very fascist society in which people are afraid of saying anything more controversial or make jokes about something people might find offensive like about the weather for example we have lost. A society in which people have to fear what to say is not a good society.

political-correctness-is-fascism-pretending-to-be-manners-george-carlin-31724536.png

And yeah its already showing how people seek out stuff other they disagree with on a political level said to get them fired from their jobs. Good work.

Last edited:

Dunki

We are not a good society now we need to pull back on the selfishness.

We are not talking about stealing/robbing we are talking about being afraid to speak our own mind. Being afraid to make jokes etc. You can not even grow as Person anymore since EVERYthiNG you said once will be accounted against you. This is not a society I want to live in since I do not like fascism. Sorry.

Last edited:

Dunki

Selfishness is selfishness, making mean jokes at someone's expense is selfish
So you want to get rid of comedy all together? Good to know

189.png

edit: Also do not make the excuse that it is ok to punch u but not down which is absolute bullshit.

Last edited:

Gander

Banned
I believe his father is white so you get a pass making fun of your own culture especially in comedy.

Dunki

I believe his father is white so you get a pass making fun of your own culture especially in comedy.

Selfishness is selfishness, making mean jokes at someone's expense is selfish

This does not match then. You said making jokes at someones expense is selfish ergo should not be allowed and with this kind of thinking you will get rid of comedy.

Top Bottom