• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dan Houser to leave Rockstar Games

NeoGiffer

Its funny how both him and Benzie both went on a sabbatical vacation and once back, called it quits.

This is mad!

inb4 he off to join Lesley

giphy.webp

Last edited:

makaveli60

You'd find it difficult to name a more liberal, anti-American western movie made by Hollywood itself over the past few decades than the RDR2 video game. There's genrally nuance & morally gray/complex themes, even in the many products made by liberals. That's why RDR2 is SJW, i.e. because it lacks nuance, it lacks self-awareness (moralistic murderers virtue signaling about the wrongs of the USA? Really?) & its only narrative objective was "late 19th century USA = bad".

Carrying on calling me "mad", but I merely noticed the actual writer's intent. Some people climb on a horse, shoot-up some towns folk, hunt some deer & scream "wow bestest game ever!" whilst literally ignoring the core (pun intended) of the game for xyz reasons.
You can hardly find a person that hates libtard SJW bullshit more than me but in this case I can't agree with what you say. Arthur contemplates a lot of times that they are not good people and indeed they are shown as complex characters that are not morally black and white. We can just get to see the worldview of this company, of course they hate civilization since that means the end of their lifestyle. And I don't think Rockstar wanted to suggest that their lifestyle is the one people should follow, they just made a story about it. Now that doesn't mean that there was no SJW agenda behind it, but I think you exaggerate it in this case.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Jesus what the hell wrong with you people

You guys are so warped up with the sjw vs anti sjw war that makes you see everything in that crazy tunnel vision

Got stuck up too hard on that insane endless political war it drives you crazy like a madman

Red Dead Redemption 2 is fine game for what it is theres no need for you to bring controversy into it

You guys are destroying everything good in gaming by overthinking everything
“You people”, “you guys”

That’s a pretty broad brush your sporting there.

You’re responding to one person for fuck’s sake.

Airbus Jr

Banned
You'd find it difficult to name a more liberal, anti-American western movie made by Hollywood itself over the past few decades than the RDR2 video game. There's genrally nuance & morally gray/complex themes, even in the many products made by liberals. That's why RDR2 is SJW, i.e. because it lacks nuance, it lacks self-awareness (moralistic murderers virtue signaling about the wrongs of the USA? Really?) & its only narrative objective was "late 19th century USA = bad".

Carrying on calling me "mad", but I merely noticed the actual writer's intent. Some people climb on a horse, shoot-up some towns folk, hunt some deer & scream "wow bestest game ever!" whilst literally ignoring the core (pun intended) of the game for xyz reasons.

Sory but this is laughable

The other poster before me was right

You need help

Youre overthinking this videogame too much

Last edited:

Blond

Banned

Bkdk

He’s a gaming legend. His departure could mean that gta 6’s development is going pretty smooth right now. It could be he want a different business path or he disagrees with take two wanting them to release more games. Though I do agree with take two here, game development cycle is insanely long and would’ve love to see it shorten.

ruvikx

Banned

In other words, "don't think, just consume product, let product creator do your thinking for you". They put everything in there (including all the usual liberal bullshit about how terrible 19th century white America was, for example a sequence depicting stupid & evil white men murdering buffalo whilst an enraged pious half native American hunts them down for revenge), yet I'm crazy if I notice? "laugh out loud" I guess.

Back in the real world, Indians used the Buffalo jump method to wipeout entire mass quantities of buffalo. But RDR2 would never show that... because that wouldn't be PC.

Airbus Jr

Banned

In other words, "don't think, just consume product, let product creator do your thinking for you". They put everything in there (including all the usual liberal bullshit about how terrible 19th century white America was, for example a sequence depicting stupid & evil white men murdering buffalo whilst an enraged pious half native American hunts them down for revenge), yet I'm crazy if I notice? "laugh out loud" I guess.

Back in the real world, Indians used the Buffalo jump method to wipeout entire mass quantities of buffalo. But RDR2 would never show that... because that wouldn't be PC.

I bet somewhere in the future were gona see you lashing out about Zelda Breath of the Wilds 2 or TES VI over how SJW those game are

Youre gona bring down every game into your political turnoil disaster

Not too far from now i bet youre gona gone mad about The Last of Us II and Cyberpunk 2077 becos of some lesbian kissing scene and transgender cyborg

Last edited:

Blond

Banned

-No one forced you play anything. Video games more than any other medium require your participation, if you hated that mission so much then just press pause and quit.

-Well, it was terrible for anyone who wasn't white. I have no idea why this concept is hard to understand or the revisionist history that says "Well Black people and native Americans weren't treated THAT bad! Just look at this singular example showing I'm right!"

-Buffalo were food as well as sacred symbols of the divine, throughout their history that happened for a reason. You killed them for a reason, not just for sport. They were killed en mass to provide food and clothing.

-Red Dead 2 was such a garbage game overall that I'm more surprised you're this angry over it.

ruvikx

Banned
-No one forced you play anything. Video games more than any other medium require your participation, if you hated that mission so much then just press pause and quit.

-Well, it was terrible for anyone who wasn't white. I have no idea why this concept is hard to understand or the revisionist history that says "Well Black people and native Americans weren't treated THAT bad! Just look at this singular example showing I'm right!"

-Buffalo were food as well as sacred symbols of the divine, throughout their history that happened for a reason. You killed them for a reason, not just for sport. They were killed en mass to provide food and clothing.

-Red Dead 2 was such a garbage game overall that I'm more surprised you're this angry over it.

- I did quit, after another series of side quests where a black doctor was a victim of white wacism, Arthur was morally repulsed by a slave trader (despite the fact Arthur & his gang murdered innocents & thieved for a living) & one last side quest where Arthur was anally raped by a hillbilly.

- On a global scale & by comparison to the global situation, America in the 1890s (& Europe) was a beacon of light. SJW's rage & shit all over any era or nation though with what they deem an excessive number of white people. It doesn't matter to them whether Africans back in Africa lived in mud huts, sold each other into slavery, enjoyed tribal warfare with spears or performed ritual sacrifices for breakfast lunch & dinner no, it's all about "muh whitey was wacist".

- the buffalo jump was a lazy & entirely ineffective way to hunt. Dozens of carcasses were left to rot without anyone eating them. The old "noble savage in harmony with nature & loves animals" is one of the oldest liberal bullshit lies in history.

- here I agree, i.e. the gameplay (& those cores) was entirely garbage. Except the horse riding which was actually well done (especially the physics of the horse).

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Back in the real world, a man named Arthur Morgan didn't murder a large number of the Pinkertons.
Back in the real world there were far more black cowboys than you see in RDR2.
Back in the real world, the suffrage movement... oh wait, it was in full swing in 1899. Weird how people on the internet especially hated that woman being in the game, though.

It's called fiction, not revisionist history. Stop letting the SJW boogeyman get under your skin, Rockstar have been lampooning America (especially white America) for years before RDR2. You think the Housers suddenly changed their politics in the last few years because of Twitter? Give me a break. GTA IV was a story about the American dream being a hollow lie. Consumerism is a number one target, do you think Rockstar are "anti consumerism" because they make fun of it while selling millions of dollars worth of in-game currency?

Niked

This is the beginning of a Rockstar being more focusing towards PC and SJW. Just like Dice and Battlefield... FUCK this shit. GTA will for sure go down in quality now

Fbh

Damn...didn't this dude do a lot of the writing? That's the one thing I still enjoy about Rockstar games.

I used to say it jokingly but now I do half expect GTA 6 to be GTA6: ONLINE*
*also includes a single player story mode

MMaRsu

Banned

Jesus christ. Warped indeed. Crazy Americans.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This is the beginning of a Rockstar being more focusing towards PC and SJW. Just like Dice and Battlefield... FUCK this shit. GTA will for sure go down in quality now

I was told RDR2 was the beginning, which is weird considering Dan was the lead writer, which he also was on the older Rockstar games you will inevitably hold up as evidence that they were totally different in the past.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

You are doing a good job at acting like some of these crazy anti-SJW people. I even like the part where you act like 1800s America was pure love and joy lol.

Have you ever played a Rockstar game before? The majority of their games are satirical takes on the ridiculousness of American culture/history. RDR2 (and 1 for that matter) tend to skew on the less silly side of things but it still has an exaggerated tone to it.

In the end it's just a videogame man, meant to be enjoyed. This isn't another cog in the liberal sjw dystopian machine people like you tend to think everything is. It's a game dude.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Not sure about the SJW angle some people are aiming for but I've always enjoyed R* games from the technical perspective but I've never thought their writing was that strong tbh. Houser paints with a broad brush and obvious beats most of the time (there's little in the way of surprise as most turns are overtly telegraphed) . Especially can't say I cared for how Max Payne 3 was written wherein what was originally a fairly snappy erudite character got downgraded to a drunken foul mouthed chump. It just didn't fit.

Blond

Banned
- I did quit, after another series of side quests where a black doctor was a victim of white wacism, Arthur was morally repulsed by a slave trader (despite the fact Arthur & his gang murdered innocents & thieved for a living) & one last side quest where Arthur was anally raped by a hillbilly.

- On a global scale & by comparison to the global situation, America in the 1890s (& Europe) was a beacon of light. SJW's rage & shit all over any era or nation though with what they deem an excessive number of white people. It doesn't matter to them whether Africans back in Africa lived in mud huts, sold each other into slavery, enjoyed tribal warfare with spears or performed ritual sacrifices for breakfast lunch & dinner no, it's all about "muh whitey was wacist".

- the buffalo jump was a lazy & entirely ineffective way to hunt. Dozens of carcasses were left to rot without anyone eating them. The old "noble savage in harmony with nature & loves animals" is one of the oldest liberal bullshit lies in history.

- here I agree, i.e. the gameplay (& those cores) was entirely garbage. Except the horse riding which was actually well done (especially the physics of the horse).

-Ludo narrative dissonance is a term coined for this. Video game character's in general are mass murderers with a heart and it doesn't make sense. To act like it's a unique situation to Red Dead would be ignoring nearly every video game in existence. Kratos was a piece of shit that had a son and a joke of a redemption arc after he basically genocideded ancient Greece. But according to you this doesnt apply because you don't agree with the "polictics." Nice!

-Well, you may have had a point till you got to the slave speak to make a point, what's next; some "ohhh lawdy lawdy" shit? It's like you aren't even aware of what you're doing lmao. You even do this nonsense of acting like it was Europe's job to civilize the world, that's some real Manifest Destiny shit. Let's not forget that the slave trade wasn't even a slave trade initially, it didn't start that way and eventually led to Americans just snatching people without compensation. Not to mention it's clear the Whiter you appeared the better the condition Europe left the countries, it's plainly obvious.

ruvikx

Banned
Have you ever played a Rockstar game before? The majority of their games are satirical takes on the ridiculousness of American culture/history. RDR2 (and 1 for that matter) tend to skew on the less silly side of things but it still has an exaggerated tone to it.

In the end it's just a videogame man, meant to be enjoyed. This isn't another cog in the liberal sjw dystopian machine people like you tend to think everything is. It's a game dude.

For those who can be bothered, this excellent video by Krogan i.e. RDR2 Elliptical Politics (re uploaded by another channel because he was banned from youtube for political reasons) succinctly spelled out the real underlying narrative problems in RDR2 on the issue of its bias & political revisionism/distortion/agenda which drags it down:

I won't continue arguing with those who for xyz reasons refuse this point of view, but some of us did notice, i.e. which brings me back to my initial point (& post I responded to): Houser's departure from Rockstar is highly unlikely to be anything to do with refusing SJW'ism because RDR2 already kicked that door wide open.

AV

For those who can be bothered, this excellent video by Krogan i.e. RDR2 Elliptical Politics (re uploaded by another channel because he was banned from youtube for political reasons) succinctly spelled out the real underlying narrative problems in RDR2 on the issue of its bias & political revisionism/distortion/agenda which drags it down:

I won't continue arguing with those who for xyz reasons refuse this point of view, but some of us did notice, i.e. which brings me back to my initial point (& post I responded to): Houser's departure from Rockstar is highly unlikely to be anything to do with refusing SJW'ism because RDR2 already kicked that door wide open.

The "people who can't be bothered"? You've just fallen back on asking the people calling you out to watch a 1 hour Youtube video that you didn't make. Get real. If you can't make your own points then we're not going to take what you have to say seriously. This is far from the first time I've seen you pointing fingers at the SJW boogeyman. Your brain's been poisoned by anti-outrage-culture and you sound equally as ridiculous as the people you're attempting to fight against. It's a fictional video game, it's not claiming to be a history book.

ruvikx

Banned
The "people who can't be bothered"? You've just fallen back on asking the people calling you out to watch a 1 hour Youtube video that you didn't make. Get real. If you can't make your own points then we're not going to take what you have to say seriously. This is far from the first time I've seen you pointing fingers at the SJW boogeyman. Your brain's been poisoned by anti-outrage-culture and you sound equally as ridiculous as the people you're attempting to fight against. It's a fictional video game, it's not claiming to be a history book.

You're not worth responding to if you imagine a product like RDR2 is just delivered without thought put into the writing. It's not Duck Hunt, it's a fully fleshed-out narrative with character arcs, motivations & a world setting meant to elicit thought & response. It's an acerbic critique of white America, of southern nationalism, of the "values" embodied by normies at the time (i.e. everyday folk who the player is encouraged to despise due to their racism, bigotry & greed). It's a full blown hit piece against late 19th century USA & western civilization in general.

It's the sort of casual anti-western revisionist faux history we endure namely in academia & media entertainment. It's worth calling out in this case because unlike GTA, it's not a comedy & its "satire" takes a backseat in favor of outright moralism. So keep on preaching, keep on screaming, keep on pretending anyone who notices needs mental treatment. But I guarantee you this: if the player was a rancher, his friends were loyal patriotic white cavalrymen & the villains were mostly Indians or black, kaboom, there would be riots in forums & in the media. Calling it "just a video game" wouldn't get you very far if such a game was ever produced.

That is all. FWIW, sitting here critiquing a product on the Internet is very far from going into full outrage mode. The only outrage I see is from the defense-force who grab their pitchfioorks, call for the reeducation police to intervene & defend their favorite toy company.

MMaRsu

Banned
You're not worth responding to if you imagine a product like RDR2 is just delivered without thought put into the writing. It's not Duck Hunt, it's a fully fleshed-out narrative with character arcs, motivations & a world setting meant to elicit thought & response. It's an acerbic critique of white America, of southern nationalism, of the "values" embodied by normies at the time (i.e. everyday folk who the player is encouraged to despise due to their racism, bigotry & greed). It's a full blown hit piece against late 19th century USA & western civilization in general.

People using the term 'normies' unironically are not even worth listening to.

What's wrong with critique on White America? What's wrong with critique of southern nationalism? What's wrong with the critique of racism?

The player isn't encouraged to despise the rest of the characters in the game, save Micah. So what are you on about?

Mental gymnastics shit going on here.

Last edited:

AV

It's the sort of casual anti-western revisionist faux history we endure namely in academia & media entertainment. It's worth calling out in this case because unlike GTA, it's not a comedy & its "satire" takes a backseat in favor of outright moralism. So keep on preaching, keep on screaming, keep on pretending anyone who notices needs mental treatment. But I guarantee you this: if the player was a rancher, his friends were loyal patriotic white cavalrymen & the villains were mostly Indians or black, kaboom, there would be riots in forums & in the media. Calling it "just a video game" wouldn't get you very far if such a game was ever produced.

That is all. FWIW, sitting here critiquing a product on the Internet is very far from going into full outrage mode. The only outrage I see is from the defense-force who grab their pitchfioorks, call for the reeducation police to intervene & defend their favorite toy company.

I never said there wasn't thought put into the script, obviously there is, but it's still a video game. I don't know how them telling a story is in any way them trying to enact "social justice". You seem to have quite the handle on what the game is considering you admitted a few hours ago that you've barely finished the thing. You got to the point of the story where Arthur is still a piece of shit and quit. The back-end of the game deals with him trying desperately to atone for his sins (including conversations with a Christian nun). You compared the gang to Antifa and implied that the writers make them out to be the good guys, when the game spends its final acts condemning what they do and tearing down the idea that these people are anything less than common thieves. The entire epilogue then follows John Marston trying to go straight, earning his money legitimately off his own back, saving money, getting a loan, building a ranch with his bare hands, providing for his wife and child. Sounds real anti-western, anti-American and SJW to me.

GTA isn't "a comedy", they've got just as much to say about America as RDR2 does, they're just goofier. You telling me there's not a ton of humour in RDR2, or that there's no serious parts of GTA IV's story that deal with immigration? Why is one "a comedy"? Why is one "satire" and one a "hit piece"? They were created by the same man. His politics have not changed.

No-one here is screaming or grabbing pitchforks, I'm not calling you a racist for having an opinion on a game, that's another website's job. I'm just telling you it's a deeply misguided opinion based on your existing prejudices and desire to disassociate with anything that might remotely fall in line with other things that attempt the same thing with less nuance.

Airbus Jr

Banned

Like i said youre overthinking way too much

Videogame are made to be fun and enjoyed

Rockstar game like GTA and RDR is known for its satirical jokes on American dream but youre taking this way too seriously

You re turning this into some unnecesary sacred holy war fanfiction between sjw and anti sjw

You remind me alot of some dude from IGN long time ago who accused Tomb Raider is a SJW game because it uses female protagonist

Or some random dude i encounter earlier on other places who said Doom should be banned because its a christian propaganda

Its an endless and tiresome fight with anoying people like this cos everything is a warzone for them

I wish we can go back to earlier days when internet and gaming forum didnt exist so people like this can shut their mouth and we can enjoy videogame for what it is

Last edited:
I respect the Houser brothers and Leslie Benzies for their work on Grand Theft Auto III and the other 3D era games (even GTA IV was fun mainly due to its Euphoria physics) but GTA V just doesn't have the same lasting appeal unless you primarily play it online.

I want to be excited for GTA VI but I think in terms of good storytelling, they need to decrease the number of playable protagonists from three to two, and with gameplay increase the amount of content, things to do in the game world, give us more interiors to explore etc. Give us a true successor to San Andreas even if the setting is a new rendition of Vice City.

In any case, like I said, I have a lot of respect for these guys as their earlier works defined my childhood. I still play the older GTA games every now and then.

I think there's more than enough body of work in the Rockstar catalogue for us to be satisfied if this signals the virtual end point of their legacy. They had a great run.

If they make more solid gold titles in future, so be it. Bonus.

Enjay

Banned
What%20the%20fuck%20is%20that%3F

Might want to do some research before spouting off nonsensical bullshit.

Houser is one of the founding members of Rockstar, the creative Vice President of the company, the lead writer on many of their games (including almost every GTA game and the RDR series), visionary and creative lead on almost every project Rockstar has released in the last 22 years.
This is exactly what they used to say about Yuji Naka. I doubt we'll notice any changes from rockstar games' games.

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
the brothers are so legendary and mysterious that i feel like we don't even know which one is sam and which one is dan

EP99mmXWkAAMTu3

These guys went against social norms and created satirical/controversial topics which were absolutely hilarious. RS will never be the same. They might even succumb to the modern pc culture.

Last edited:

tassletine

This is bad news. Those games were driven by him, much in the same way Apple was driven by Steve jobs. This isn’t a regular boss. he really gave a shit. It wI’ll flounder without him.

Scotty W

The most horrible news possible, GTA related. Houser is a brilliant writer, perhaps the best.

If he was pushed out by the parent company, then it is an unbelieveably foolish move. 6 Billion in sales! How could you fuck that up?

I can see what is going to happen now. They are going to go the way of Assassin's Creed or Star Wars. Lots of games, and quick, a huge initial paycheck, and then a less pleasing aftertaste. Let us hope it does not get as bad as Guitar Hero and Rockband.

plushyp

“You people”, “you guys”

That’s a pretty broad brush your sporting there.

You’re responding to one person for fuck’s sake.
I see quite a few pulling off this nonsense behaviour on the forums and it's absolutely lame. The script always goes "One person says something = the entire forum/ you all/you guys" followed by a condescending driveby shitpost.

Top Bottom