• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2 out on Steam April 18th

Jintor

The first 3 cases are a real chore, but Dangan Ronpa 2 has 100% the best murder case in ANY visual novel mystery game I've played.

pity the solution process reaaaaaally sucks for that one.
Writer way too eager to show off how clever he was, so Chinami basically guides you through the entire thing. ugh.

cj_iwakura

The best girl will FOREVER BE:

tumblr_inline_npjcdckAbD1snshev_540.png

Her 'Hey hey' is still my text tone to this day. IMO 2 isn't half as good as 1, but it sure has its high points.

Jintor

WHAAAAAAT!?! I thought case1, case 2 and of course case 5 were the peaks of the game. The other cases were a total drag.

The first three cases are workmanlike at best imho. I don't even REMEMBER the first case, that's how little it impacted on me.

But yes, Case Five is incredible.

Rich!

1. why is there no OT

2. why is there not more people posting about this, the best danganronpa?! I want to see despair, confusion and amazement, goddamnit!

In any case, the port looks fantastic. Another great job.

oh and both ibuki and mahiru are the best girls. And uh....Ibuki was on chaturbate the other night. No, I'm not joking. It was amazing cosplay. And guess who was the guy commenting the most? Byukaya Togami. Honestly. I wish I got a screenshot.

edit: oh and the file format is exactly the same as DR1. I've copied over the entire character artwork set from DR1 to DR2 with amazing (and hilarious) results with a simple copy and paste.

Nightbird

oh and both ibuki and mahiru are the best girls. And uh....Ibuki was on chaturbate the other night. No, I'm not joking. It was amazing cosplay. And guess who was the guy commenting the most? Byukaya Togami. Honestly. I wish I got a screenshot.

This sounds all kinds of amazing xD

selo

Loved the first game, each case was entertaining. Just yesterday i finished chapter 1 on DR2, and yeah, was a little bit underwhelmed, also got stuck on that arranging puzzle part and some minigames dont even let you read the text (if you chose japanese language).

Hopefully it'll pick up in ch2..

Loved the first game, each case was entertaining. Just yesterday i finished chapter 1 on DR2, and yeah, was a little bit underwhelmed, also got stuck on that arranging puzzle part and some minigames dont even let you read the text (if you chose japanese language).

Hopefully it'll pick up in ch2..

It gets better, but the first game remains superior, and those minigames stay shitty throughout.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I finished 1 on vita, and have 2 on vita. But it is a bit tempting to play this on a larger screen - does it play nice with high res screens like the surface pro? And can it be played with a touch screen or will it need keyboard

Neol

So just beat the game and I enjoyed it very much! Ran very well with no signs of problems anywhere. Anyway gonna put some of my thoughts down so major spoilers ahead.

I actually do like the cast of the first game better than this one because I feel some of the characters in DR2 didn't feel completely unique and was just rehashes of qualities of DR1 characters. Although that's not really fair to say since DR1 being the first game would feel more original but there was always an annoyance where I find myself comparing similar characters and preferring the DR1 characters instead. Another fact is that I disliked some of the characters in DR2 so much that it gave me a hard time actually growing attached to them. Absolutely hated TeruTeru and Hiyoka for there terrible personalities and Mahiru and Mikan are pretty boring although I did enjoy Mikan's craziness shift but that was kinda dumbed down since she was my first guess as the murderer in her case.

Otherwise the rest of the cast is alright. Found Peko, Akane and Nekomura just okay, Sonia and Fuyuhiko good, Chiaki and Gundham great and Kazuichi, Ibuki, Nagito, and Imposter fantastic. I also enjoyed the stupidness of Monokuma's and Usami's interactions a lot especially when they have little fights here and there with a good amount of them referencing Jojo.

In terms of setting, I would again say I preferred the DR1 setting since it felt more...dire? Although the setting in DR2 gives a variety of possibilities for cases, the feeling of being in an enclosed building without being able to go outside gives a lot to the whole theme of despair although the setting of DR2 is very integral to the whole storyline as well as the setup for the amazing cases which I can accept.

Speaking of storyline, I kinda predicted the whole world being fake from early on leads and very wrong assumptions. Biggest early on lead that left a great impression is when you wake up on the island and its sorta glitching out when looking at Nagito. The really wrong assumptions I said included a crazy theory of mine that I formed while playing which is some of the characters in DR2 were qualities of DR1 characters formed together to create a unique avatar. Since I felt that some of the characters didn't feel unique and just rehashes of qualities of DR1 characters I thought it was incorporated that way cause it was gonna be some major plotpoint. This might sound crazy but I felt Akane is essentially Aoi and Sakura combined, Chiaki being Kyoko and Chihiro/Alter Ego combined, Fuyuhiko reflective of Byakuya, Kazuichi similar to Hiro and Nagito being a corrupted version of Mokoto. There is also the fact that they survived near the end which made me more confident in my theory which was kinda killed when Sonia survived in the end. Imposter was also a huge point in my thinking but that was killed when you learned his true nature.

In terms of gameplay, I didn't really like the sword cutting game and the snowboarding one was pretty meh too. Also I don't know if this was cause it is hard to translate over but the 4 letter combination in case 1 is fucking infuriating as hell and the one in case 3 is pretty annoying too. Otherwise the rest is standard stuff from the first game which is fine.

However the true meat and bone of this game is the murder mysteries and solving it through the class trial which is without of doubt the BIGGEST AND STRONGEST positive of this game. Felt that case 1 and 3 were a bit weak but the other cases were fantastic with super crazy high points that left me engaged and amazed throughout the whole thing. All of it leading to the craziness of Chapter 6 which I found to be very great and fitting ending. However the thing that kinda disappoints me were the executions as I felt they could've done better with it. I would say Chiaki's is probably the best as well as being the most despairing out of all of them. Peko and Gundham is alright and I didn't care about TeruTeru so eh. Mikan's is absolute garbage though and I was actually flabbergasted on how bad it was. Then again thinking back I honestly found all of the executions after Leon's pretty weak when compared. Leon's execution is just amazing in a lot of ways and I'm kinda sad that they were never able to recapture the quality of that one.

Other little things that I enjoy is the arcade game and the point and click section as they felt very enjoyable and fitting. The report card conversations for a good amount of the characters is pretty good too. When thinking back on them, it gives a pretty great glimpse of how they turned into ultra despairs as I felt that unlike the cast of DR1 characters that seemed all happy before and during there attendance of the academy, the cast of DR2 had major problems before and it seemed like attending the academy with the influence of Junko made it 10x worst hence leading to there downfall.

Anyway that's my wall of text. Overall I generally like DR1 cast and setting more but the amazing cases in DR2 leads to it being the better game.

selo

Just finished chapter 2. I thought it was way better than chapter 1

Ch 2 spoilers
All the way through the trial I was never sure of who was the culprit, the game made it obvious that yakuza guy had a motive, but it is never that obvious.

At first thought the killer might've been kimono girl, but that would've been obvious as well, then when they said about cleaning their clotes, i thought it might've been princess with the help of mechanic guy o-o. So yeah, pretty fun how it all spun around

Hopefully chapter 3 will be even cooler than 2. (taking my time and savoring the game :p)

Just beat Chapter 1. The game seems far more polished than the first one, especially with the way the world is structured. The art and backgrounds seem way better designed. I do think this game is kind of overdoing the fanservice a little bit
(Though it was hilarious how the panty shot was how we confirmed the killer's guilt)
. Enjoying the writing and characters more as well. Overall, pretty damn good so far.

Just finished the fourth case. I don't think I like this game as much as the first, as there's more filler, the minigames are even more mixed bag, and I can't stand Nagito or Hyoko, but it's still a very good game.

desmax

Finished it yesterday, but since people are giving their opinion, might just give my one too.

I actually really like the cross-swords minigame, especially since I felt like the first game needed discussions between two people; and I also like how you can agree with other people on non-stop arguments.

The new minigames are all right; my only problems are with (obviously) the Improved Hangman Gambit and what they did with the closing argument section. Outside of that, the game feels really similar to the first one gameplay wise.

Do wish you could walk like normal on the island, like how you do on the school in the first game; but that would probably be hard to do on the PSP.

As far as the story goes:
I liked it more than the first game.

The murders felt more creative, and I actually had trouble to guess who was the murderer in each case. I do appreciate how they actually used their Ultimate Skills, which is something I felt like didn't happen in the original.

But I will say that the game has lower lows than the original, especially because it feels like it has far more filler. I found chapter 2 to be pretty awful, honestly. Also, just like the original, I also hated the last chapter on this one. For me it just feels like they don't know how to justify the setting, which to be fair, it does sound pretty tough, so I'll let it slide.

Chapter 5 is amazing, though. Just it alone makes it better than the original game for me.

There are not really that many people that hate Danganronpa 2, just a large audience that thinks the first one was better. Now Danganronpa AE, that's a game that actually gets shit on.

Rich!

I finished 1 on vita, and have 2 on vita. But it is a bit tempting to play this on a larger screen - does it play nice with high res screens like the surface pro? And can it be played with a touch screen or will it need keyboard

Plays fine in 4k with a keybaord and mouse. No idea about touch though.

Biggest plus for me is that it supports the Dualshock 4 natively!

GoldStarz

What's with people referring to anything that isn't the murder part of the game as 'filler' :\
It's not like that time isn't usually well-spent developing character or building to the murder.

There are not really that many people that hate Danganronpa 2, just a large audience that thinks the first one was better. Now Danganronpa AE, that's a game that actually gets shit on.
Large audience on Gaf, most other places I've been think the opposite.

Another Episode is terrible.
Another Episode is fine.
i still think it's overall more quality than DR1 tbh

Nagito was right to do what he did in the end.
Nagito was a self-obsessed asshole who put his own values and delusions over the personage and safety of others and when forced to face that the subjects of his unwanted hero worship could just as easily succumb to despair as a normal person, he retaliated by attempting to murder everyone there and again put his own values over the person he was supposedly trying to protect resulting in an overall worse off situation.

Nagito is full of shit.

Nightbird

Perfect, I just beat the first one! Great timing. I have so many questions... FeMonokuma?

play it. It'll be explaind in-game :)

Nagito was a self-obsessed asshole who put his own values and delusions over the personage and safety of others and when forced to face that the subjects of his unwanted hero worship could just as easily succumb to despair as a normal person, he retaliated by attempting to murder everyone there and again put his own values over the person he was supposedly trying to protect resulting in an overall worse off situation.

Nagito is full of shit.

100% truth

OK I started this last week sometime and have been working my way through it. For reference I am about to get to the trial for Case 3.

It isn't holding my attention as well as the first game did. I think the casts are roughly equivalent for me, the main character is slightly better and there is no one completely on the awfulness level of Hifumi from the first game. I really like Nekomaru and Ghundam, definitely my favorites. Ibuki is my favorite girl so far with the gamer girl who's name I have forgotten behind her, I was hoping I would like Sonia more than I do. The rest are kind of meh or annoying so far.

The game still has many of the flaws from the first game and some of them are even worse. Whoever came up with the movement system in these games should be sacked, turning around and even navigating the 90 degree turns around the pool is like moving in molasses and you have to do it constantly. The 2d sections take way, way too long to traverse as well and the fast travel doesn't even have convenient points to travel to half the time. On top of this they have piled more annoying mini-games into the trials, I failed the first trial twice due to obtuse mini game design.

I don't think the plot has really gotten going yet, I am hoping that things break apart pretty soon, as I think that is when the first game got good. I am interested to see how the ruins on the 2nd island come into play and what the clock on Center Island is counting down towards.

1st Case:
This one turned out to be a little more complex than the first trial of the first game. I had it narrowed down to either Gundham or the cook... I mean Chef... guy.The cook was in the building before the gathering, so I was suspicious of him to start. The majority of the clues in the evidence gathering period were also based around the kitchen, the fire door in particular made me think it had to do with him, because not many other people could have made use of it.

Other than that Nagito's turn was interesting, but I am already burnt out on the whole hope/despair dynamic from the first game, it's forming into a parody of itself. I'll be interested to see why Byakuya shows back up in this game, if it is the same character, and if he remembers the events of the first game. My first thought was that the game would be simultaneous with the other, but his presence eliminates that possibility and his death eliminates the possibility of it being a prequel.

2nd Case
The setup for this case gave it away. I didn't know the details of it, but I was able to guess everyone involved and I knew Hiyoko wasn't the one who did it. The thing that really gave it away were the empty water bottles. I knew it wasn't a coincidence that Peko came in wet. The only other person I briefly thought might be involved was Sonia, she had a wet suit on and there were wet suits in the closet, but those never ended up being clues when gathering evidence.

There wasn't much in the way of plot advancement out of this case. I guess the fact that Monokuma revealed they knew each other before the island so early on is something good to have out of the way. I am guessing at least one more pairing of characters remember each other.

3rd Case
Like I said I haven't actually gotten to the trial in this case yet, so I actually don't know the culprit. My initial feeling is that Hiyoko convinced Ibuki to commit suicide due to the Despair Virus or whatever it was called. Then whoever ends up being the Sparkling Justice found out and killed Hiyoko. My guess would be Chiaki, but that would eliminate too many of the female characters in a row, I don't think a fanservice-y game like this would kill five female characters in a row. I'd say my best guess is Kazuichi, but I'd only give that like a 40% chance. I can't remember if I have all the evidence or not yet, this is the most in the dark I have been about a killer since Case 2 of the last game. That was really the only case where I got the killer 100% wrong before going into trial.

Yes, this was more Danganronpa. Went in for the murder cases and superior investigation/trial gameplay in comparison to Ace Attorney (excluding the minigames that take too long). And it was good enough in that. In particular the last cases. But also in the rest of the gameplay, that's more open (in the vein of Hotel Dusk) than other text heavy adventures. Which is appreciated, just like the soundtrack and individual parts of the art direction (excluding some of the character designs, even though overall they're less obnoxious).

It also still had the same problems though. People claim how smart the writing is on meta levels, but so much of DR is still reeking of tropes. This game might actually be slightly worse than DR1 when it comes to that. After all, one major ,,emotional impact" during the finale straight up doesn't work if you aren't a waifu ranking otaku.
Some of the writing has slightly improved though. The revelations of the overall mystery are a little better and characters usually call out obvious thoughts for mystery unraveling early, unlike DR1.
On the other hand though, they absolutely dropped the ball with Monokuma. Dude is just a gimmick without personality now. They went way overboard with two mascots and all the crazy shit Monokuma can do from Monobeasts to certain other things. He often was the saving grace for some of the ,,inbetween murder" parts of DR1, with his multiple layers of naivety, obviously fake welfare above his villainy and much better 4th wall jokes. In DR2 he's just one part of a convoluted fabric of too much abstract shit going on.

AHA-Lambda

OK, just finished it last night, couple thoughts and questions:

ok, so the upcoming Danganronpa V3 is a reboot yes? and the Daganronpa 3 anime is the follow up to this? But that anime takes place in between D1 and D2?
That's disappointing, no? It feels like there is a lot of ground left to cover still in the universe, given that they still say
the tragedy is ongoing
as well as the revelations that
hope's peak was literally experimenting on pupil's
, that's a concept rife for more exploration!

Apart from that, the ending was a huge info dump but I think I followed most of it, except a couple things

1)
how was Junko alter ego created? It was said the ultimate programmer's skill was stolen? any clarification on that?

2)
so the remnants of despair all planned to willingly go into the simulation and upload the virus yes?

3)
why did alter ego Junko even want Makoto and the others to enter the simulation? there was a big speech about how hajima and co were bait but they made zero difference to what was happening, if anything is shot her in the foot. She could have got them to graduate without them appearing so why want them there at all?

4)
if Hajime was Izuru, why did he look just like Hajime after leaving the simulation?

GoldStarz

OK, just finished it last night, couple thoughts and questions:

ok, so the upcoming Danganronpa V3 is a reboot yes? and the Daganronpa 3 anime is the follow up to this? But that anime takes place in between D1 and D2?
That's disappointing, no? It feels like there is a lot of ground left to cover still in the universe, given that they still say
the tragedy is ongoing
as well as the revelations that
hope's peak was literally experimenting on pupil's
, that's a concept rife for more exploration!

Apart from that, the ending was a huge info dump but I think I followed most of it, except a couple things

1)
how was Junko alter ego created? It was said the ultimate programmer's skill was stolen? any clarification on that?
DanganRonpa /Zero spoilers
The general implication is that Junko used her Ultimate Analyst ability to observe how Chihiro made their AI and made one herself, however there are still multiple other resources Junko could've pulled from outside of that.

2)
so the remnants of despair all planned to willingly go into the simulation and upload the virus yes?
DanganRonpa Another Episode makes it questionable about how much most of them really knew about the whole plan, but yes as far as we know, there plan was to go into the simulation and kill one another.

3)
why did alter ego Junko even want Makoto and the others to enter the simulation? there was a big speech about how hajima and co were bait but they made zero difference to what was happening, if anything is shot her in the foot. She could have got them to graduate without them appearing so why want them there at all?
Personal satisfaction. They really didn't have much actual role in her plans, she just wanted to fuck with them.

4)
if Hajime was Izuru, why did he look just like Hajime after leaving the simulation?
A haircut and change of clothes can do wonders.

selo

Just finished the game two days ago. Personally liked the first game better

Here's my breakdown:

Cast:
In the first game, I really enjoyed Aoi, Byakuya and Kyoko. 2nd game, the only character I enjoyed as much were Chiaki and Ibuki. So, DR1 gets it

Cases:
With the exception of the 2nd case in DR1(It was ok) I loved all of them. In DR2, I think i only really enjoyed case 3 and 5 and 6, hated 4 So, DR1 gets it.

Twist/Shock Factor:
I would say this is a tie. In the first game, we didnt know anything, and in the 2nd, you think you know how things go, but they still can surprise you

Great stuff both games, but yeah, I would give a sizeable advantage to the 1st game. Hopefully we get the other games on steam too! (vlr and the like)

Top Bottom