• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa V3 demo now available

Is there a list of all the voice actors in the game? I would look it up myself but I'm too scared of accidental spoilers (worst part about anticipating DR was googling a character name and finding "death" as one of the recommendations)

If you or anyone else are interested in the list of seiyuu, you can find it here
No spoilers, they were revealed months before the japanese release.

Lusankya

If I remember correctly, the first demo ended with "the hair is crucial evidence!!!"

No, the demo ended with
Makoto and Hinata explaining that they just faked everything and there was no murder to begin with.
I.e. everything was resolved.

Nah, Shuichi is going to be a Red Herring of Importance. Like how
"Byakuya"
was a red herring in DR2

Well, Maki just behaves too antagonistic to be the partner character, even though she seems quite competent.
Of course Shuichi could be a Red Herring, but I think there are other characters (e.g. the ultimate ???) that are just as likely.

While the demo is just the demo, Shuichi was certainly the most helpful one similar to Chiaki.

Just played the demo, really enjoy the cast overall so far and that ending got me pretty good. I really like the new look for logic dive and I'm VERY interested in seeing how lying pans out in the final game.

General character rankings and thoughts

Hope you survive:
Tennis Player
Anthropologist (I like him a lot but I could totally see him killing someone just to see the beauty in watching the others struggle to solve it)
Supreme Leader ( I just liked how much fun he seemed to be having with everything)

I like you:
Mage/Magician (I normally don't care for this type of character but she got some good laughs out of me)
Astronaut
Inventor (Really fun character whom I'm sure will be around a while and have some growth)
Maid
Artist

Might grow on me:
Detective (This guy is either going to experience immense growth in his confidence or go out super early I feel)
Entomologist (Normally I dig the buff characters, but I don't care for the way he talks but maybe that'll change)
Child Caregiver
???

Meh:
Cosplayer
Robot

You can die:
Akido ( I like her design but her saying "Degenerate Male" every sentence got really grating.

Super excited to dive into the game when it drops next month.

I really don't how to feel about the
Lie bullet
mechanic. In the demo it seems to halt the flow of the trial, I hope it's better handled in the main game. I like the mini games this time around, they don't seem as annoying.

FluxWaveZ

I really don't how to feel about the
Lie bullet
mechanic. In the demo it seems to halt the flow of the trial, I hope it's better handled in the main game. I like the mini games this time around, they don't seem as annoying.

I assume that's just because they were introducing a completely new mechanic. What I would hope from the main game is that the game subtly hints that you need to use it in a sequence, so the player does it themselves seamlessly to use during a debate.

LiK

Game is coming out soon, not sure why people are trying to look up VAs. Wait until after you finish the game. I remember someone getting spoiled for the first game about a certain character because they looked up the VA cast before they finished it. Just a warning.

I assume that's just because they were introducing a completely new mechanic. What I would hope from the main game is that the game subtly hints that you need to use it in a sequence, so the player does it themselves seamlessly to use during a debate.

I think my problem with it is from a narrative standpoint. In a game where you're trying to uncover the truth,
lying
seems like the complete antithesis of that, especially coming from the protagonist. It existing as a mechanic seems like a natural progression for these games, I just hope it doesn't bring unecessary chaos to the trials and as a result make them longer.

Atlas157

Reading all this speculation while knowing everything about the game is great and hilarious.

You guys are in for a ride.

I think the demo did a bad job at introducing the new mechanics because A: They were introduced one after another, leaving almost no time to assimilate them; B, the mistery itself wasn't really interesting or compelling to unravel, negatively influencing your approach when trying to learn the new mechanics.

That is great and all but please no teasing.

new-avengers-2.jpg

FluxWaveZ

I think my problem with it is from a narrative standpoint. In a game where you're trying to uncover the truth,
lying
seems like the complete antithesis of that, especially coming from the protagonist. It existing as a mechanic seems like a natural progression for these games, I just hope it doesn't bring unecessary chaos to the trials and as a result make them longer.

To me, it seems like a breath of fresh air. What if, due to this mechanic, the actual goal of the protagonist becomes twisted? I don't think they'll do this, but imagine if Kaede became the blackened and she was then out to save herself? I dunno,
lying
as a mechanic could open up some cool narrative venues that weren't explored before.

Phoenix Wright from Ace Attorney is the ultimate "the truth is everything" guy, but he's also the Ultimate Bluffer to seek that truth. Kind of reminds me of that.

To me, it seems like a breath of fresh air. What if, due to this mechanic, the actual goal of the protagonist becomes twisted? I don't think they'll do this, but imagine if Kaede became the blackened and she was then out to save herself? I dunno,
lying
as a mechanic could open up some cool narrative venues that weren't explored before.

Phoenix Wright from Ace Attorney is the ultimate "the truth is everything" guy, but he's also the Ultimate Bluffer to seek that truth. Kind of reminds me of that.

I was thinking about that as a possibility and it's the only thing that would justify such a mechanic, IMO. Either way I'm excited for V3, it's been quite a while since I've played through 1 and 2. Might even do another run since the demo got me back in the groove.

PK Gaming

lying

Lying to get your because your opponents are idiots/people out to kill you is an inspired choice, actually. About time the protagonist could do more than just wait until the discussion went in a relevant direction.

NSESN

Lying to get your because your opponents are idiots/people out to kill you is an inspired choice, actually. About time the protagonist could do more than just wait until the discussion went in a relevant direction.

We have some characters that did that in DR1
Kirigiri
and DR2
Nagito
, so the protagonist also doing that makes sense.

This in a nutshell.
I'm sure the lying mechanic is going to be great most times, if anything I'm worried it will make some parts needlessly difficult.

bigkrev

Oh, character thoughts:

I relate to you on a molecular level so much that it's actually alarming and I'm beginning to think the character is actually based on me: Inventor
Favorite characters: Supreme Leader, Robot, Child Caregiver, Magician
I like you but I need to see more: Astronaut, Detective, Entomologist, Tennis, Maid
Rubbing me the wrong way: Akido, Cosplay, ???????, Anthropologist
Why do you even exist: Artist

PK Gaming

Localized Angie is awful. Cassandra Lee is an amazing VA, but 6th-grader level ethnic accent is such a bad fit. And the change from "God" to "Atua" is incredibly lame.

People who understand Japanese have got a massive head start here. /r/danganronpa has plenty of users who've played the game already. I'm assuming you know Japanese if you know everything already.

People who understand Japanese have got a massive head start here. /r/danganronpa has plenty of users who've played the game already. I'm assuming you know Japanese if you know everything already.

Well, of course? The game was released on january, I don't see your point haha. Some people here clearly know what's up.

Most stuff I've read there is people saying the game was badly received, only to read other people say the have beaten the game and consider it great but really divisive at some points.

Squire

Banned
lying

Yep. Perjury is a tactic as much as it is an offense. It's as plain as the game states. "Sometimes you need to lie to reach the real truth."

This is, in theory, why a federal officer in the US can lie to you - but you can't lie to them.

Not legally, anyway.

Korigama

I didn't see more than three categories as necessary for dividing up my evaluations, so that's all I'll be using.

Liked: Kaede (lead/Pianist), Miu (Inventor), Tenko (Aikido), Kirumi (Maid), Maki (Child Caregiver), Shuichi (Detective), Kokichi (Supreme Leader), K1-B0 (Robot)

Neutral: Tsumugi (Cosplayer), Rantaro (???), Gonta (Entomologist), Ryoma (Tennis Player), Kaito (Astronaut)

Disliked: Himiko (Magician), Angie (Artist), Korekiyo (Anthropologist)

Couldn't decide between being neutral toward or disliking Himiko, currently leaning toward the latter.

Localized Angie is awful. Cassandra Lee is an amazing VA, but 6th-grader level ethnic accent is such a bad fit. And the change from "God" to "Atua" is incredibly lame.

Yeah when I was playing the Japanese VA I noticed the weird name change, was it it just to avoid any controversy by saying "Atua" instead of "God". My understanding is that it's her God that she believes in, would people really get offended by using the word? Atua is normally used by those of Polynesian backgrounds, right? Pretty sure Angie is still Japanese though, so it's a weird choice.

Zeroro

Well, of course? The game was released on january, I don't see your point haha. Some people here clearly know what's up.

Most stuff I've read there is people saying the game was badly received, only to read other people say the have beaten the game and consider it great but really divisive at some points.

I'm assuming there's some late-game twist that people playing are either going to really like or really hate.

bigkrev

Oh, and I'm really unsure about Kaede after playing the demo. At one point, she remarks about how cool Hajime is, which is a massive red flag. Hajime is a complete dork, not cool at all.

Thud

Oh, and I'm really unsure about Kaede after playing the demo. At one point, she remarks about how cool Hajime is, which is a massive red flag. Hajime is a complete dork, not cool at all.

That probably makes her a boring person as well :p.

I'm assuming there's some late-game twist that people playing are either going to really like or really hate.

There's also that Spoiler Thread that keeps resurfacing, so If I've to guess people over there are really laughing their ass off at our predictions here :p.

I didn't see more than three categories as necessary for dividing up my evaluations, so that's all I'll be using.

Liked: Kaede (lead/Pianist), Miu (Inventor), Tenko (Aikido), Kirumi (Maid), Maki (Child Caregiver), Shuichi (Detective), Kokichi (Supreme Leader), K1-B0 (Robot)

Neutral: Tsumugi (Cosplayer), Rantaro (???), Gonta (Entomologist), Ryoma (Tennis Player), Kaito (Astronaut)

Disliked: Himiko (Magician), Angie (Artist), Korekiyo (Anthropologist)

Couldn't decide between being neutral toward or disliking Himiko, currently leaning toward the latter.

Well congratulations because it's probably going to end up with all your dislikes and a few neutral being the survivors. I've settled on Maki and Kirumi being the ones I like to survive but they both seem so suited to either die or be the killer.

Korigama

Well congratulations because it's probably going to end up with all your dislikes and a few neutral being the survivors. I've settled on Maki and Kirumi being the ones I like to survive but they both seem so suited to either die or be the killer.
I'd be very surprised if Himiko or Angie survived, not so much Korekiyo. Well aware that expecting even half of those I actually like to make it would be wishful thinking (I'm already predicting Shuichi to die early). If I were to guess, I would figure Maki's chances of survival to be better than Kirumi's.

Catvoca

Banned
I mis-read the release date as August rather than September and thought this was out tomorrow.... The despair 😩

I can't get over how weird tennis guy looks. He looks like Mr. Potato Head from Toy Story with painted on eyes. All the weird looking characters in DR1 and DR2 (Hifumi and Teruteru) were those I disliked the most. Wonder if it will be different this time, but ugh, that design. Can't stand it for some reason.

Zeroro

I can't get over how weird tennis guy looks. He looks like Mr. Potato Head from Toy Story with painted on eyes. All the weird looking characters in DR1 and DR2 (Hifumi and Teruteru) were those I disliked the most. Wonder if it will be different this time, but ugh, that design. Can't stand it for some reason.

He's my favorite from the new cast. When he was first revealed, I wasn't into his design, but it grew on me pretty quickly. I love the weird character designs that stray from the conventional-for-DR-but-already-pretty-weird "regular" character designs.

Tojo, K1-B0 and Ryoma are my favorites. Kaede's really great too.

Fucking loathed the magician girl and ESPECIALLY Tenko. Mahiru's "ugh, men" gimmick had already rubbed me the wrong way and now we get a character based on practically just that. Sigh. I bet she survives and says something like "Ugh, I guess not ALL men are subhuman worthless trash, only 99.9%" to get brownie points by the end.

Excited to see where some characters go.

Tojo, K1-B0 and Ryoma are my favorites. Kaede's really great too.

Fucking loathed the magician girl and ESPECIALLY Tenko. Mahiru's "ugh, men" gimmick had already rubbed me the wrong way and now we get a character based on practically just that. Sigh. I bet she survives and says something like "Ugh, I guess not ALL men are subhuman worthless trash, only 99.9%" to get brownie points by the end.

Excited to see where some characters go.

I bet Tenko ends up killing a girl before saying something like that.

I'd be very surprised if Himiko or Angie survived, not so much Korekiyo. Well aware that expecting even half of those I actually like to make it would be wishful thinking (I'm already predicting Shuichi to die early). If I were to guess, I would figure Maki's chances of survival to be better than Kirumi's.

Yeah Kirumi is already selecting her coffin. She's too obvious a pick. I am expecting main girl to be a surprise death. Hasn't been done yet in the series and her character seems pretty much similar to the other classmates while prior games mc had a more unique stance.

Jazzem

for those that are playing on PC, is fullscreen "lagging" for you when moving the camera ? like the fps counter still says 60 but moving the camera is not really fluid. (this happens sometimes tho, most of the time is fine)

Yeah I've had this happen a fair few times, not sure what's causing it...was especially weird as I was having a similar issue in Trails in the Sky SC recently

Trace

Banned
Is there a way to make it fullscreen on PC? It boots in windowed mode for me and I can't find any kind of visual settings.

Jazzem

Is there a way to make it fullscreen on PC? It boots in windowed mode for me and I can't find any kind of visual settings.

When starting the game, make sure you pick the second option on the Steam launcher to bring up the configuration menu.

Just don't alt+tab out of the game once it's started, as that makes it windowed with seemingly no way to change it

Trace

Banned
When starting the game, make sure you pick the second option on the Steam launcher to bring up the configuration menu.

Just don't alt+tab out of the game once it's started, as that makes it windowed with seemingly no way to change it

Thanks a ton, now I can actually play :p

Seronei

alt + enter doesn't work?

Game has borderless windowed that worked great for me at least.

Keinning

I don't think i liked anyone from the demo (too few lines for most of them anyway), but i liked fighting girl and childcare girl designs, so i'm 100% sure they're getting bopped

robot was my least fav so i'm sure he'll survive all the way and be featured in a lot of important events

Eh?! This stuff is long, man.

No worries, I already played the games on Vita back when they release. Right now I'm speed running them on PS4 and catching up with the stuff I don't remember, specially the end game twists. Pretty confident I can go through the manga's and the anime pretty quick too.

Top Bottom