• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa V3 Review Thread

Loz246789

I've heard so many vague things about the ending to this game, I'M ALL IN. I'm ready to either be very impressed or very disappointed.

At the very least, I loved what I played from the demo. So the game has that going for it.

emag

Re: Destructoid score

Now its getting interesting

The same reviewer on the same site gave ZTD a 95, calling it "bloody brilliant", a "masterpiece", and "one of the greatest experiences I've had in my 27 years of video gaming", criticizing it only for some animations and camera angles. So maybe take that opinion with a grain of salt.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Even if the ending sucks, I think I'm still okay with it. DR2 fell a bit flat with its ending, but the ride there was fantastic.

I'll laugh if there's an "even more improved hangman's gambit!" in this game.
I thought that was one of the "features" mentioned when this game was announced?

Yeah after reading some of these reviews about how it had amazing writing and a satisfying ending I'm wondering if these people played the game

I would just like to remind you that a lot of reviewers think Naughty Dog and Bioware games are the pinnacle of video game writing.

I already found the endgame of the original game to be a contentious point (ultimately I think the overall angle is utterly dumb) so bring on the controversial finale because it's really the only thing keeping my eye on this.

emag

I only played I think the first Danganronpa game and I stopped because of some shitty mini games I think it was? Does this still have those?

Yes. They're as bad as ever (well, worse than the first game at least). Which is why I intended to Let's Play this one, but Atlus is banning streaming.

This game is going to get very mixed reception.

Some people say it's the best game in the series.

Personally I saw things that made me never want to touch the game.

It's going to be interesting if nothing else.

This is my most anticipated game of the year and the only thing I'm hoping for are some kick-ass regular cases and a mediocre final case + ending. Something like Danganronpa 2, so to speak, which in general was a better experience for me than Danganronpa 1 (even though this one had an amazing ending, not a fucking shit one like DR2).

Does somebody know many chapters are there in the game? I remain completely devoid of spoilers, but still want to know that without risking myself.

NotLiquid

Yeah after reading some of these reviews about how it had amazing writing and a satisfying ending I'm wondering if these people played the game

In his defense I think the one thing I'll defend about ZTD is it's actual ending, even if the endgame twists themselves were questionable. But the ending itself to me was always one of the things I found good because I really can't imagine how else a franchise with so much
awareness about doomed timelines/universe hopping/cheating death
can possibly end. It's kinda like how I can respect MGS4 for actually tying a conclusive bow on the entire story of Solid Snake in a way that made sense, even if many answers to the narrative, world and mythos itself left me cold.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The ending of DR1 was a fine cliffhanger ending. It got me to buy the second game immediately on completion. The problem is that the sequel did little to satisfy following that.

Levito

Banned
Hello folks--I'm the one that wrote the RPG Site review *gulp*

My advice is if you're a big Danganronpa fan that you should probably just check this out for yourself. What didn't work for me might work just fine for you, that's all I can really say.

I'm reviewing the game and I'm leaning towards RPG Site's review more than the rest.

I agreed with your opinion when it came to Steins Gate 0 and Utawarerumono, so I would have to revaluate my expectations.

Still, I'm sure I will probably enjoy it just for the killing game at least.

Edit: ^I have read Levito advice many times from different people after the game released in Japan. This would be a definitely interesting journey for Danganronpa fans, for better or worse. In my case, the game has to be really disappointing to reach ZTD levels. And I actually enjoyed some parts of ZTD.

Eumi

Yeah, if this game is divisive, I'm definitely not gonna bother with all the shit they pulled with D3. They've given me no reason whatsoever to assume anything positive with regards to Danganronpa these days.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Steins Gate 0 was.....unsatisfying. I enjoyed it, but that ending fell so flat it was unreal. Genuinely couldn't believe the game ended there.

Following the JP streams/"live translations" of the game was a rollercoaster of emotions, particularly since there were fake spoilers everywhere and we couldn't sort what was right and what was wrong until like, the very end, haha. But if I gathered everything properly, I really dig the way things happened - and also completely see how it won't work for a lot of people. Hoping people enjoy it overall tho.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Well for one I enjoyed DR1, DR2, DR3 (the anime), 999, VLR, and ZTD.

So I guess I'll still like it?

GSR

I've been waiting for this day ever since I played the JP version back in January, lol.

Here's my DRV3 hot take: DRV3 left something of a bitter taste in my mouth because it feels like a game that's trying to pass off a lot of sound and fury as something more meaningful than it is. What it is is a fairly fun mystery game that (especially at the end) turns everything up to 11. I enjoyed DRV3, and I thought the ending was fun to play through and pushed the structure of the game pretty well.

But the actual plot is a tire fire. Most of the game's twists feel like they were constructed first and foremost from a "whoa wouldn't it be cool/mind-blowing if" perspective. I can live with that, and there's something enjoyable there, but the end of the game starts flirting with trying to make bigger points, and it all feels super hollow. Nothing's being said that isn't self-reflection 101, so when the game tries to go there it winds up looking worse than if it had just settled for another wacky despair mystery.

Hello folks--I'm the one that wrote the RPG Site review *gulp*

My advice is if you're a big Danganronpa fan that you should probably just check this out for yourself. What didn't work for me might work just fine for you, that's all I can really say.
Sounds good, thanks mate.How are the regular cases in comparison to DR1 and DR2?

NotLiquid

Hot take: I don't think Danganronpa 1 has aged that well. At the very least not compared to 2.

It falls victim to some weird ass-pulls near the end of the game, and much of the cast is kinda one-note. It doesn't give you a lot of time to really sympathize with them. When you get down to it, it's kind of a lame story which manages to veil itself on account of ambiguity, but I found revisiting the game in a Lets Play made me realize how uninteresting the narrative was and how some characters are just kind of unlikable in the grand scheme of things. In retrospect it's a game that relies way more on it's style over it's actual substance.

The best thing 2 kind of does is realize that the first game's narrative was actually really lame. There's a bunch of pay offs the game has at the expense of it that keep being set up and alluded to during every story turn - it has the best take on the whole "hope / despair" angle that the series has had and it has an incredible finale. It also actually made me sympathize quicker with many of the characters, most of them aren't as skin-deep as the previous game's cast, and just about every trial left me emotionally heavy at the end of it all. I had an amazing time revisiting that game where-as DR1 I constantly questioned several story beats and why it was all so boilerplate in comparison. Even the resident "asshole" member of the group becomes likable really quickly - something not even DR1 accomplished by the end of it if you ask me.

The franchise could've ended perfectly after it, but then the expanded universe stuff really blew it. The one thing I've been looking forward to DRV3 for is the potential of it being a complete reset.

Hot take: I don't think Danganronpa 1 has aged that well. At the very least not compared to 2.

It falls victim to some weird ass-pulls near the end of the game, and much of the cast is kinda one-note. It doesn't give you a lot of time to really sympathize with them. When you get down to it, it's kind of a lame story which manages to veil itself on account of ambiguity, but I found revisiting the game in a Lets Play made me realize how uninteresting the narrative was and how some characters are just kind of unlikable in the grand scheme of things.

The best thing 2 kind of does is realize that the first game's narrative was actually really lame. There's a bunch of pay offs the game has at the expense of it that keep being set up and alluded to during every story turn - it has the best take on the whole "hope / despair" angle that the series has and it has an incredible finale. It also actually makes you sympathize quicker with many of the characters, most of them aren't as skin-deep as the previous game's cast, and just about every trial left me emotionally heavy at the end of it all. Even the resident "asshole" member of the group becomes likable really quickly -something not even DR1 accomplished by the end of it if you ask me.
thought 2 was merely OK on a first playthrough

Levito

Banned
Sounds good, thanks mate.How are the regular cases in comparison to DR1 and DR2?

I noted in my review that I think the cases fit together much more logically than before. In DR2 for example, there was that trial that involved gravel in a swimsuit that was really silly. Nothing like that in V3 thankfully.

Aters

You know, we read reviews because we don't want to waste our time and money, "check out for yourself" is like the least useful piece of advice.

Yeah, I noticed that as well with my most recent replay of both games back to back. Even when knowing all the victims and twists, I found myself more intrigued with DR2's characters, cases and plot over DR1. DR2-Case 5 managed to shock me once again, even though I knew who was the victim and murdered. But the context behind felt so genius and out of left field that I'm surprised that I managed to forget about it when I played the game on Vita back 2014.

While were at it, does any V3 case manage to surpass or even touch base with DR2-Case 5?

You know, we read reviews because we don't want to waste our time and money, "check out for yourself" is like the least useful piece of advice.

That's really all we can say, though. There's stuff in this game that some people will adore and others will hate and there's really no way to tell which side of the fence you'll land on without experiencing it yourself.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
For those of you who hate the minigames, it might be a good idea to play this game on easy. It lets you breeze through all the shitty minigames and focus on the story.

Hell, it might be the best way to play the game if the minigames are that bad.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
That's really all we can say, though. There's stuff in this game that some people will adore and others will hate and there's really no way to tell which side of the fence you'll land on without experiencing it yourself.

So the game is like the FFXV of Danganronpa? :p

FluxWaveZ

I have a feeling I'll end up on those who hate whatever it is people hate, if the game is truly divisive. After Danganronpa 1, which is still my favorite DR related work out of all of them, there's always been something blatantly disappointing, to varying extents.

I know that I'll find the mini games pointless, and probably even frustrating at times, as they always are. At least, I expect I'll enjoy the game until the critical moment, as it tends to happen with these things.

After Danganronpa 3, my faith in this series is at its breaking point. I hope V3 isn't what does it for me. It'd truly be the mark of a series that had potential and totally shit all over it, which is an all too familiar scenario.

NEO0MJ

ZTDs reception was so bad is scared me off playing the game (probably for the best). Hope this doesn't disappoint.

RRockman

Banned

But you seriously have too though. There's exactly one other game I can think of that can compare to this one's oddity.

Top Bottom