• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dangerous Driving (Burnout Successor) First Gameplay.

WaterAstro

Looks pretty good. The speed of the turning looks weird. Maybe because it's a smooth, high framerate that I'm not used to.

Hudo

Looks quite good! Burnout 3 is still my second favourite arcade racing game ever! Was always sad that EA don't seem to care about Burnout at all...
OnRush was okay but was more its own thing and lacked a certain "oomph" that the Burnout games have (for me).

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
Fuck yes. Will never forget my disappointment after hearing that there was going to be a burnout crash mode game on iOS and it turned out to be this awful 2D cheapo piece of shit

ar0s

Looks incredible. Absolutely cannot wait.

If anyone does not yet have Dangerous Golf I strongly recommend buying it to support this game. It's very fun & has the original Burnout MC "Did you miss me?..... DID YOU MISS ME!!!!???"

Really good in multiplayer but very fun in single player too - takes a LOT of skill to get far and is like a really improved & advanced crash mode but with a golf skin instead of cars.

I love the concept of the game, but the art direction has too many ups and downs. At moments it's beautiful: Seeing the cars at high res, on the mountain road, the road textures, the trees... it looks great. And at other times there is a lot of blur, the sun blinding half the image, braking lights reflecting on the screen... it's a fucking mess.

Sometimes I feel developers have access to too many effects. Really, if you don't need it and it makes the game look worse, don't just use it because you can. You are ruining what otherwise looks like a great game.

Last edited:

7iberius

For a very small team with a tiny budget, that looks surprisingly good. Still doesn't match the production values of even the PS2 Burnouts, but a very faithful imitation nonetheless.

jdforge

Banned
Name is really, really bad. Also some of the sound effects, especially the collisions are very repetitive and tinny. Drifting looks more like driving on ice. It didn’t grab me :(

PSYGN

Way too much motion blur and sparks at the peripherals covering up the impact, I want to see the car slam into the wall before panning into matrix slow-mo.

Last edited:

Humdinger

It feels too frantic to me, with too much going on, on screen. It's still in development, though, and maybe you can turn some of that stuff off.

Shifty

That, uh, sure could use some music huh?

Certainly looks very classic Burnout though.

I know. I’m interested in this game but that name is akin to calling a game “Gory Fighting”. Braindead.
It makes a little more sense coming off of Dangerous Golf, but definitely sounds like the kind of generic that you'd find on a Master System box without that context.

0hY0oxe.png

Tarkus98

It feels too frantic to me, with too much going on, on screen. It's still in development, though, and maybe you can turn some of that stuff off.
I felt the same way watching the clip. I am hoping it is just the way it was edited and the fact that it’s still in development.
It’s Burnout though for sure and I will gladly learn to adjust either way.

DonF

Kinda disappointed. Looks like need for speed rivals without the power ups... I hope it runs at 60 fps at least.

Spearheadz

I used to play the hell out of the Burnouts. I may check this one out. Hopefully they bring back that mode where you try to rack up damage in dollars. That shit was boss.

Nymphae

Banned
Yep, that's some Burnout. UI looks a little rough, but I'm in. So glad the aftertouch takedowns are back!

Fuck yes. Burnout series is are the best racing games of all time. This looks to have so much of that burnout DNA, right to little sound that plays when you get a takedown.

For those who dont know, the studio that is making this only consists of like 7 people. I wish this game will be a huge success so there can be another one with a bigger budget after this.

Looks like a cheap PC version of Asphalt 9 with longer crashes. But I'm glad there's a return to destruction derby/burnout crash mechanics.

Agent X

It does look nice. It's very reminiscent of Burnout 3.

I agree with those who aren't fond of the name. I get that it's following up Dangerous Golf and Danger Zone, but I still think it needs a catchier title. It would be nice if they could work something out with their old pals over at EA, because this could be great as a new, official installment in the Burnout series.

Vitacat

Yeah, looks good. I would definitely buy a solid Burnout successor. Just make sure it has a killer soundtrack. Also, if it has any garbage loot boxes or manipulative IAP schemes etc. then kill it now before it's born.

RAIDEN1

Its a good job Burnout Revenge is BC on Xbox One, for some reason I've found that more enjoyable than Forza...

stranno

Someone should bring back Konami's Thrill Drive in remaster, remake or barebones port form. It was the precursor of Burnout and a blast in the arcade.

It is playable on MAME but you need a high end PC and it has some glitches.

Last edited:

Agent X

I personally want another game like Motorstrom Apocalypse.
msa_under_truckt7mt.gif

Ah, yes, another great racer from the last generation!

I like the entire MotorStorm series, but MotorStorm: Pacific Rift is my overall favorite. I would love to see a proper high-definition update of MotorStorm: Arctic Edge, which was the only game in the series not released on PS3 (it was made for PSP and PS2).

Duallusion

Destruction/collision physics are not where I'd like them to be in 2019 (maybe next gen - finally?) but it's not too bad either.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I know I said I want this in me before but I rewatched both of the videos just now and it honestly looks exactly like Need for Speed Rivals. That was a game I could just never get into.

The Burnout games were about plopping you into a big open area and letting you discover all the little tricks and shortcuts while paving your own route to a destination. This game looks like narrow linear pathways with prettyish graphics and a slo mo crash camera.

I don’t think they are going to find much success copying another game’s formula that has already been done to death and wasn’t very good in the first place.

Last edited:
Motion blur is awful, the extremely fisheyed FOV is awful, the car damage isn't as good as in Paradise, and it doesn't look like there is much in the way of depth to the game. It may be a fun game and I'm constantly bitching about the lack of arcade racers but there is a lot of low effort showing here.

Maybe I'm being picky, but look at the tire smoke effects, no matter how fast the car is moving the smoke is leaving the rear tires in the exact same speed, distance and pattern.

Even if it's released as a $20 game I don't think I'd buy this game over just playing Burnout Paradise or Burnout Revenge. It doesn't look any better than the last racing game I downloaded on my phone, and that was years ago.

FranXico

The Burnout games were about plopping you into a big open area and letting you discover all the little tricks and shortcuts while paving your own route to a destination.
It sounds to me like you're describing Burnout Paradise there. Classical Burnout takes place in closed tracks, with only a bit of branches here and there.

Hudo

I'm not quite sure what it is yet but something looks off. Just by watching the footage, it looks to me like the controls might be too sensitive? And holy crap that motion blur. But I really hope this game will be great because Burnout 3 is one of my favourite arcade racers ever. I couldn't get into Burnout Paradise, sadly. Just wasn't what I wanted from a Burnout.

I wanted a new arcade racer, I wanted a burnout game, yet...I dont find this interesting? Something about it looks cheap like a mobile game. The crashes are too fast, i like a longer slow mo of the action. The font is probably the worst thing here...its like plain white so the whole UI looks amateurish. Donno, not impressed everything just looks too plain. Even Burnout 3 from 2003 had more vegetation and cityscapes.

Top Bottom