• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dante's Inferno demo coming this month, hitting PSN first, XBL two weeks later

Dartastic

jett said:
Considering how it looks I'm sure both consoles are more than capable of running it at 120 frames per second. :p

...just wait. The demo levels are not at all indicative of what the game looks like when you're actually descended into hell. It definitely looks better then.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
vehn said:
I don't get what all the hate is about and all the comparisons between GOW3 popping up everywhere. Its like saying all FPSs or all RPGs are the same... I think DI differentiates itself enough with the setting and magic system, among other things
agreed. I mean I even said it, but to actually complain about the game just because it's a close copy... we still have so much we don't know about it.. boss fights, level design, difficulty, etc. regardless of its, ahem, inspiration, the game still should be judged on its own.... and IMHO on its own the game is still decent... all of this "pbbfft... it's just like GoW so it sucks" is for the birds.

i don't know why they decided to put the demo on one console first, are they trying to tell me something here? like maybe the ps3 version is the best version, maybe they are trying to tell me to hold out and buy this game used or when it's like 30 bucks?

well guess what, i'm convinced.

Struct09

I love GoW so much that I welcome similar games with open arms. Hell, I played through most of Conan due to it shamelessly ripping off GoW.

Broadbandito said:
I never gush over a demo. Honestly. The guys at visceral must be gods. I just was not impressed with GOW3 after playing Uncharted 2. I was hoping for more with GOW3 demo. I will leave any more judgement for when the game is out. I am not bashing GOW3, I am going to buy it. It's just that, Dante's demo has completely blown me away with just how smooth everything is.

I know I am going to get flamed.
Well, it certainly does run much more smoothly than GoW. With the current power these systems have(even the wii) 30fps with slowdown, in an action game of all things, is almost laughable. It should only be done in regards to stylistic choices, as there is more than enough power to get the job done.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
abstract alien said:
Well, it certainly does run much more smoothly than GoW. With the current power these systems have(even the wii) 30fps with slowdown, in an action game of all things, is almost laughable. It should only be done in regards to stylistic choices, as there is more than enough power to get the job done.
GoW3 actually goes above 30 fps fairly often, which causes some odd stuttering issues.

EXGN

Rekki-Maru said:
i don't know why they decided to put the demo on one console first, are they trying to tell me something here? like maybe the ps3 version is the best version, maybe they are trying to tell me to hold out and buy this game used or when it's like 30 bucks?

How does an exclusive demo tell you that? Does the Bad Company 2 demo tell you to buy it used? Did the 360 timed exclusive Resident Evil 5 or Lost Planet demos(what a stupid concept that is, btw) tell you to hold out and wait for them to hit $30?

The only thing that you can infer from the Dante demo(and the PS3 exclusive Divine edition) is that they've got a marketing deal worked out with Sony.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Broadbandito said:
honestly, who gives a fuck about it being a gow rip!??! The game has an amazing story, amazing story telling, and runs fucking incredible. I was not impressed by the gow3 as much I am with this.

Call it a gow rip all you guys want, but This game is what GOW3 should be, play like, and look like.

And I did switch and play both demos back to back. Dante's just seems so much more fluid.

wOW....

Dartastic said:
...just wait. The demo levels are not at all indicative of what the game looks like when you're actually descended into hell. It definitely looks better then.

That's what I was hoping to see. I've seen all the trailers and Dev Diaries, and Hell looks amazing. But this start level didn't even show that. I was a bit let-down. We didn't even hit Limbo. I wonder if this is just a truncated version of the first level. It does feel a bit... haphazard (?).

But still, I liked it, fighting with the cross and scythe anyways. I think I'll get a lot of laughs out of this game unless it turns like deadly serious later on.

Struct09 said:
I love GoW so much that I welcome similar games with open arms. Hell, I played through most of Conan due to it shamelessly ripping off GoW.
Wow, I only played through Conan because it was fun. Well through most of it, it got less fun later on to no fun at the end.
EXGN said:
How does an exclusive demo tell you that? Does the Bad Company 2 demo tell you to buy it used? Did the 360 timed exclusive Resident Evil 5 or Lost Planet demos(what a stupid concept that is, btw) tell you to hold out and wait for them to hit $30? The only thing that you can infer from the Dante demo(and the PS3 exclusive Divine edition) is that they've got a marketing deal worked out with Sony.
You are taking a sarcastic post way too seriously.

Nizz

borghe said:
agreed. I mean I even said it, but to actually complain about the game just because it's a close copy... we still have so much we don't know about it.. boss fights, level design, difficulty, etc. regardless of its, ahem, inspiration, the game still should be judged on its own.... and IMHO on its own the game is still decent... all of this "pbbfft... it's just like GoW so it sucks" is for the birds.
Good points. I played the demo last night, and I really enjoyed it. Sure it plays similar to God of War, but is that a bad thing now?

I haven't played the GoW3 demo yet, so I can't comment on how it compares. But from what I've played of DI, I like it. People don't have to pick one game over the other, you can (if you have a PS3) get both.

The framerate was fantastic. Visceral handles the PS3 very well! The only thing I found a bit uncomfortable was having block on L2. If the final game lets you flip the shoulder buttons so L1 is to block/R1 is to grab and magic is switched to L2 and R2 for something else that would be great.

The triggers on the Dualshock 3 imo are best for secondary actions. My first instinct while playing the demo last night was to block with L1. Plenty of times I was getting attacked and I just kept seeing the magic icon popping up. :lol

But from what I played, I liked it. And the demo was just a taste, we didn't get a chance to go to hell yet. ;) In this, it reminded me a bit of the Dead Space demo. I didn't actually enjoy that demo, but I got the full game and loved it!

Majmun

Y2Kev said:
Actually, you sort of can. What they've presented so far deviates quite a bit from the poem. :lol

Oh, I'm not familiar with the poem. EA could've added a talking pink pony in the cutscenes and I wouldn't have asked any questions.
But I like it when developers use deviation in an excisting piece. As far a I know Kratos in the GOW game is different than in the mythology.

Second said:
Oh, I'm not familiar with the poem. EA could've added a talking pink pony in the cutscenes and I wouldn't have asked any questions.
But I like it when developers use deviation in an excisting piece. As far a I know Kratos in the GOW game is different than in the mythology.
Actually, Kratos doesn't exist in Greek mythology :lol making this a good example (not making fun of you, I just thought it was funny)

Mrbob

The games mechanics are a complete ripoff of god of war, from right stick evading to attack styles. But it is no big deal to me, as long as the action is decent I'll play it. I like these types of games anyway. But if I have to constantly pound a damn button to get those damn regen fountains to work that is going to be an annoyance.

But they really need to work on the storytelling and cutscenes. I laughed out loud when they tried to do a cinematic scene in the beginning with dante stitching a tatoo on his chest. His scream was comical. Also, regarding the scene leading up to the battle with the Grim Reaper, seeing that one dude sneak up behind Dante and stab him in the back was so funny. The whole setup was terrible. Then Dante pulls out the knife like it was nothing and goes to battle. So bad. :lol

Anyway, I looked at the combo list in the demo and the upgrade system. The attack styles seem decent. I'm hoping there will be a wide variety of weapons to use. I'm about 50/50 on the title right now, but it is coming out between Bayonetta and God of War 3. Also Mass Effect 2, FF13, Bioshock 2, and Dawn of War 2 expansion hitting in the same time frame. So this one might have to go on the backburner.

I finally gave it a shot on my parents' HDTV. Looks a TON better. I should not have tried it out on my SDTV in the first place... still, I hoped we could've played through a section of hell instead of the sorta lame topside section.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Don't you mean "the demo build of GoW3 has an unsteady framerate"? It's an old build, and I hope they fix it.

Yeah ...so I played the demo some more =(

I dunno man, I got bored pretty quickly. Maybe because of the limited movesets or something. Oh and yeah, it's pretty blatant with it's inspirations.

finished the demo.

straight GoW experience, just more hellish and the main character made a boring impression so far. dunno, i might give it a try.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I finally gave it a shot on my parents' HDTV. Looks a TON better. I should not have tried it out on my SDTV in the first place... still, I hoped we could've played through a section of hell instead of the sorta lame topside section.

At least on sd tv it's harder to notice all the bad textures as everything looks blurred and bad.

Milk Lizard said:
At least on sd tv it's harder to notice all the bad textures as everything looks blurred and bad.

I don't think it looks too bad... it's just bland. Hell looks great in all the media I've seen... they should have let us play a section of that.

But it was kind of fun. I can forgive some graphical missteps if its fun. I just... really hope that the story is good.

Dante's Inferno plays like a milquetoast version of the first God of War. I wouldn't mind the imitation if they took the core mechanics of God of War and somehow made them their own, they way they did with Dead Space, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Maybe that ownership appears further into the game when you level up and unlock more abilities or find more weapons, but such as it is, I found the demo to be pretty unimpressive. It runs smoothly but the gameplay is simplistic, Dante's Inferno looks to be more on par with the God of War HD Collection than God of War 3 and the presentation was all over the place.

given that there's like two or three killer apps on average coming out each month next year, it'll be easy to pass on this and pick it up at a later date for 10-20$.

This is a hunch but I get the feeling that once the game is out and more people experience the hell levels, people will be eating crow. Now just to see if I turn out right.

Why are people puzzled or not buying because it's coming out a month before GoW3? If it's because so many games are coming out in Q1 I understand, but a month is a lifetime in game sales. Also, it's multiplat, so even with the Sony hype machine I can see this selling well if not more than GoW3. You underestimate the uninformed masses. Prototype sold much better than Infamous despite being the poorer game.

I personally like the game. 2 GoW games back to back is not a bad thing in my book.

Majmun

And I've replayed the demo again. I liked it much more this time around. I'm definitely getting this now. EA has been really amazing this gen.

Dead Space great
Mirror's Edge great

And now Dante's Inferno.

fps fanatic said:
Spoiled the first game? Or possible spoiler for GoW3?

GOW2 spoiler.

Rekki-Maru said:

They know that big multiplat releases generally sell half to 3/4 on the ps3 than they do on the 360. The 360 market is already there, so you do something special to get the ps3 market excited, and try to make up the gap.

See: Batman, AA

Cowie

I'm surprised by all the positive impressions. I guess it's good that the game will find an audience.. but it sure as hell isn't with me.

Unless there are some later changes to the absolve/punish system, it's a really stupid and unnecessary chunk of grinding. I'd rather just get a menu choice at the beginning than spend the entire game mashing circle so I can access holy skills. The combat did nothing for me until I got the crosses, and even that started to get old. The QTE's did the game no favors, and though I try to avoid the comparisons, GoW at least animates enemy QTE bashing a hell of a lot better.

there's certainly room in the final game for this stuff to get better in later levels, but I needed to see that now. Dead Space took the RE4 style Action Horror and really pushed it to the next level (To the degree that even RE5 felt primitive in comparison), but Dante's Inferno just didn't have that effect on me.

Sobriquet

Just finished downloading, haven't tried it yet.

I have to admit I'm a little surprised by all the negative impressions. I had faith in Visceral.

Nizz

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well we all know that the Dead Space demo was indicative of how good that game was! :lol
Exactly. I said as much in an earlier post. That game turned out fantastic. And the same devs are bringing us Dante's Inferno.

We've only had a taste. We haven't even had a chance to play any hell sections yet.

fps fanatic said:
Exactly. I said as much in an earlier post. That game turned out fantastic. And the same devs are bringing us Dante's Inferno.

We've only had a taste. We haven't even had a chance to play any hell sections yet.

Well the thing is, I have personally had a taste of hell and I'm not talking a 3-5 minute romp. I'm talking a good 15-20 minutes in hell and it was epic and awesome. The level where your floating on a platform in a swamp was beautiful and eye catching, along with the other visuals in that part. I won't even spoil the holy shit moment during that segment.

I personally never played the Dead Space demo. I was buying that on day one and didn't need the demo to tell me otherwise. Then I see all these people eating crow because the demo sucked and the full game was awesome. I forsee this same effect happening with this. "Oh its GOW!" , "Man the game isn't that good looking!" blah,blah,blah. Fast forward to Febuary "Wow descending into hell is so awesome.", "The visuals are amazing".

Almost guaranteed.

Ok, mnaybe its the beer but i'm aggravated...

WHy is the hell would limbo be exciting?

It's Limbo? Please tell me the peopele bitching aren't the same ones who are purists concerni9ng the actual works. Cause that is fail.

EdgeTurn

chubigans said:
I loved how in the beginning, after wiping out five dozen enemies, the main guy just stands there for a few seconds...just stands there, mind you...as some random dude walks up and stabs him in the back nonchalantly. :lol

Yeah, this part left a horrible first impression - where the hell did that guy even come from? Since it takes place in Acre, it felt like Altair had just snuck in from Assassin's Creed to shut Dante down.

And then the whole thing right after that with Death - yeesh. Way too sudden for me. And then after accomplishing an impossible, epic feat within the first 5 minutes you then see him just wandering around the countryside, with Death's scythe. Shouldn't there be some global repercussions for Dante destroying Death, kinda like that Family Guy episode? That would have made the Crusades hilarious.

Still, despite my serious problems with the story, I found myself really enjoying the gameplay itself.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The demo is missing at least one cutscene. In one of the trailers there are per-rendered shots of the attack at Dante's home when Beatrice is killed.

Nizz

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well the thing is, I have personally had a taste of hell and I'm not talking a 3-5 minute romp. I'm talking a good 15-20 minutes in hell and it was epic and awesome. The level where your floating on a platform in a swamp was beautiful and eye catching, along with the other visuals in that part. I won't even spoil the holy shit moment during that segment.

I personally never played the Dead Space demo. I was buying that on day one and didn't need the demo to tell me otherwise. Then I see all these people eating crow because the demo sucked and the full game was awesome. I forsee this same effect happening with this. "Oh its GOW!" , "Man the game isn't that good looking!" blah,blah,blah. Fast forward to Febuary "Wow descending into hell is so awesome.", "The visuals are amazing".

Almost guaranteed.
Sounds very cool!

Mdk7

I'm just loving it.
I'm a huge fan of the genre, i love Wayne Barlowe, i love the atmosphere, the setting, the blasphemy, the way it plays... Do fucking want, seriously.

I don't give a shit if the poem is totally different (i'm Italian and i totally love and respect Dante's work), if it's kind of a clone, if the graphics are not so astonishing... day one, limited edition along with the movie.

kaskade

I actually enjoyed it. Sure it's basically a direct clone of GoW but at least it seems to be a good one. All the moves have a decent weight to them. The game wasn't even really on my radar before. All I heard about it besides being Dante's Inferno was that it was a GoW clone. It's on my radar now though.

Cowie

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well we all know that the Dead Space demo was indicative of how good that game was! :lol

Didn't the Dead Space demo release after the game had been out? Anyway, I only bought Dead Space because it was $30 on black friday last year -- it wasn't until after playing it through that I thought it was really worth paying $60 for. Even if it turns outs fantastic, Dante is in the same boat.

I don't think anyone has said 'the demo is bad, the game will be bad', but I'm not enough of an optimist to buy a game whose media and demo didn't entice me because maybe there is something totally awesome hiding inside of it. Let me see some impressions from real people a few weeks after release, and we'll talk.

Blair

Banned
Yep, i will echo the 'god of war clone' comments, but it was actually pretty fun. Hopefully the main character gets abit more badass, he seems abit wimpy and odd in the demo.

I'll keep my eye on this one.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Zeliard said:
Combat in this reminds me of Too Human. There's a distinct lack of feedback to the player.

You think so? I didn't get that feeling at all. I think they pulled it off well for having just a few low level moves.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Zeliard said:
Combat in this reminds me of Too Human. There's a distinct lack of feedback to the player.
I felt that mostly went away with the scythe.

Top Bottom