• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dante's Inferno demo coming this month, hitting PSN first, XBL two weeks later

glaurung

Played through the demo on PS3.

The character models look nice and some of the sceneries have a cool vibe to them. There were areas though where the lack of detail was stunningly bad (crosses disappearing in the cemetery, enemies disintegrating). Real hell should have more grit and black vomit and whatnot.

The menus looked a bit shabby with somewhat low-detail assets. The health and other indicators on the screen were tiny and poorly animated. The tiny spherical flame effect behind the combo counter looks atrocious.

There were some good transitions between FMV and in-game models. Boobs. The FMVs were unfortunately not HD, which sucks, especially on the PS3.

The action was nice, however the demo does only contain a few combo attacks and one magic spell.

Will be looking forward to February. If this drops below £30 quickly, might even bite provided I have completed Darksiders by then.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Mind said:
Should be a good game. Nothing jaw-dropping or new but still a good game! I hate the fact that a lot of people keep refering to GoW. As if Sony invented the genre and playing style.

After playing the demo's of GoW3, DI, and Bayonetta I only need to check Darksiders en Castelvania. Bayonetta will surely win but who'll be second best...? Prolly GoW3 but I think many gamers are not giving Darksiders enough credit.

From what I understand Darksiders is more Zelda than Devil May Cry.

LaneDS

Mind said:
Should be a good game. Nothing jaw-dropping or new but still a good game! I hate the fact that a lot of people keep refering to GoW. As if Sony invented the genre and playing style.

After playing the demo's of GoW3, DI, and Bayonetta I only need to check Darksiders en Castelvania. Bayonetta will surely win but who'll be second best...? Prolly GoW3 but I think many gamers are not giving Darksiders enough credit.

Unless I'm mistaken, I'd say DMC was the first game to really kick off this 3D action-brawler genre. People are comparing it so heavily to GOW because it feels pretty damn close to GOW, the controls are damn near to identical (at least based on what we have in the demo), and it's riddled with things GOW is known for, like QTEs. It even steals the Cyclops bit from the GOW3 demo piecemeal.

So yeah, Sony didn't invent the crazy 3D action game genre or playstyle, but damned if Dante's Inferno isn't trying to mimic the GOW series specifically (versus say DMC or Ninja Gaiden) with a lot of what the game does.

sca2511

playing it right now, its pretty fun. Gameplay and even the controls are pretty much GoW-ish. Graphics are alright and the game looks like its running a solid 60fps so that good in my book

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I actually liked the UI. Simple, classy. The menus in particular were pretty nice.

Tonza

I quite liked the demo. 60 fps is awesome.

Gameplay is very God of War'y but that's a good thing. I like the cross weapon. The punish or salvation gameplay mechanic is a bit iffy but doesn't bother me much. And I guess it adds to customizing abilities.

I have this on preorder and the demo made me feel good about the preorder.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
permutated didn't get banned for this thread, did he?

Is this really 60fps? It looked like 30fps to me.

I thought some parts were interesting but I think overall there was more I did not like than I liked.

Also the is it just me or do the legs on Dante look way too short?

LaneDS

PuppetMaster said:

I thought some parts were interesting but I think overall there was more I did not like than I liked.

Looked like 60 to me. And the splash screen at the end of the demo touts 60FPS as one of the selling points of the game, so that's a pretty telling sign.

I ran into an awesome glitch.

The Grim Reaper grabbed me and we just started floating in the air.

The entire screen is black and we're just floating in the abyss. :lol

EDIT: I just saw the platform we were fighting on. It's way below us. :lol

EDIT 2: Now he's not even holding me anymore.

pizzaguysrevenge said:
I ran into an awesome glitch.

The Grim Reaper grabbed me and we just started floating in the air.

The entire screen is black and we're just floating in the abyss. :lol

EDIT: I just saw the platform we were fighting on. It's way below us. :lol

EDIT 2: Now he's not even holding me anymore.
I would suggest restarting your machine, graphical hiccups like that are often related to an overheating GPU. At least that's my experience from PC anyway.

BeeDog

Just tried the demo, seems to be a solid game. The completely random and excessive nudity is a bit silly though, and the environments are a bit blander than I expected. Good to see the game running at 60 fps though, very nice.

pieatorium said:
I would suggest restarting your machine, graphical hiccups like that are often related to an overheating GPU. At least that's my experience from PC anyway.
I eventually had to.

I pressed start and my PS3 froze.

Elios83

It's a GOW clone. It's not a similar game in the same genre, it's a clone with a different setting. But I'm not saying that in a bad way because EA also cloned the quality of the game really well. It's a really high quality game and I can't a see a person who likes GOW disliking Dante's Inferno. Great graphics too. My only complain with it is that the main character completely lacks charisma, he seems a random knight.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
yay! I really enjoyed this game.

The 5 first minutes does the game quite a disservice, the environment is wierd ( that little prisonpart ) and the weapon they arbitrarily start you with is horrible.

But after that ( kinda when you get your crossdealy ) the game really opens up, the game is fluid and the visuals are ample for the 60fps you get in return.

There is no doubt that this will be a love it or hate it game for most people, and as a fan of the 3rd person action/adventure games I can honestly say I couldnt be any happier.

Ninja Gaiden sigma 2
God of War 3
Bayonetta
Dantes Inferno

:D Im gonna play the hell out of all these games and enjoy every single second of it ^^

Also if I've learned anything its not to judge full games after a demo. I bought Dead space the day it came out and it is to date one of my top 10 games I've played during my life. But one day I went to try out the demo ( many months after I finished the full product ) and my god if I had based my purchase of the demo I wouldnt have bought dead space in a million years :p.

One thing though, what the hell is up with the interface? The quicktime buttons are the ugliest thing ive ever seen, and as someone mentioned that flame behind the combocounter.....ugh....what is that... i dont even

PuppetMaster said:

What kind of TV are you playing it on? 60fps really stand out on HDTV's with big displays.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
PuppetMaster said:

its clearly 60 fps imo. i immediately noticed how smooth it was

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I'm a huge kratos fanboy. I don't care for Bayonetta too much, but I can see it's appeal. I welcome darksiders with open arms as it feels like something fresh and fun. But this shit feels like it's trying too hard to copy god of war. Sony didnt invent the genre, but cmon...how much is DI different from GOW? Right down to the fountains. Other than the art, It just seems uninspired. After playing the demo, I won't touch this with a 10 foot pole.

Elios83 said:
It's a GOW clone. It's not a similar game in the same genre, it's a clone with a different setting. But I'm not saying that in a bad way because EA also cloned the quality of the game really well. It's a really high quality game and I can't a see a person who likes GOW disliking Dante's Inferno. Great graphics too. My only complain with it is that the main character completely lacks charisma, he seems a random knight.
See me.

EA should pay santa monica royalties for how much they copied. Maybe thats the real reason why PS3 gets the demo first? :lol

yurinka

I love the GOW gameplay, so I love Dante's Inferno gamepla. And it's nice to see it at 60FPS.

I think there are too much GOW ripped off elements, not only in gameplay. I don't have any problem with that, because I love GOW. But I would tried to add an unique touch, something new in the main gameplay / game system to diferentiate a bit.

Cartoon animation, CG videos look great, but they doesn't follow a common art style giving a weird copy and pasted impression, they aren't correctly integrated art-wise with the game.

Backgrounds are really poor, too empty, generic, and lifeless. Some enemies are too generic. I don't like the camera (same happens with GOW3 almost all the time) because it's too far of the action, so the main character and the enemies appear too small.

Unlike Uncharted 2 or Killzone 2, and like the GOW3 demo, this Dante's Inferno demo in my 28" SDTV looks like a PS2 game.

EA and Sony, this is a new gen. Please show me dozens of enemies in screen, a lot of giant enemies, don't use the same fucking enemy all the time, give me buildings collapsing, add on-line coop, add awesome textures & lighting and forget the outdated fucking Onimusha-like colored orbs/souls/whatever, they look pretty outdated.

Will buy day 1, because I love this genre, and GOW.

The amount of content they copied from GoW is ridiculous. It was still fun and I kind of prefer the setting over GoW.

Will pick up when it's cheap.

yurinka said:
I love the GOW gameplay, so I love Dante's Inferno gamepla. And it's nice to see it at 60FPS.

I think there are too much GOW ripped off elements, not only in gameplay. I don't have any problem with that, because I love GOW. But I would tried to add an unique touch, something new in the main gameplay / game system to diferentiate a bit.

Cartoon animation, CG videos look great, but they doesn't follow a common art style giving a weird copy and pasted impression, they aren't correctly integrated art-wise with the game.

Backgrounds are really poor, too empty, generic, and lifeless. Some enemies are too generic. I don't like the camera (same happens with GOW3 almost all the time) because it's too far of the action, so the main character and the enemies appear too small.

Unlike Uncharted 2 or Killzone 2, and like the GOW3 demo, this Dante's Inferno demo in my 28" SDTV looks like a PS2 game.

EA and Sony, this is a new gen. Please show me dozens of enemies in screen, a lot of giant enemies, don't use the same fucking enemy all the time, give me buildings collapsing, add on-line coop, add awesome textures & lighting and forget the outdated fucking Onimusha-like colored orbs/souls/whatever, they look pretty outdated.

Will buy day 1, because I love this genre, and GOW.

apart from some textures dante's inferno look like a ps2 game (well it looks like the gow hd collection).

lighting is non-existant, texturing is average, animation is nothing special. this is how gow3 hould have been if it was developed for ps2, minus the HD resolution.

but in the end it's fun to play as it mimicks perfectly the ps2 games.

Too much God of War is never bad for me. I hope Darksiders and Dante's Inferno will deliver.

The only thing I didn't like about the demo is hammering O button all the time. Why do that for health upgrade ?

eshwaaz

glaurung said:
The character models look nice and some of the sceneries have a cool vibe to them. There were areas though where the lack of detail was stunningly bad (crosses disappearing in the cemetery, enemies disintegrating). Real hell should have more grit and black vomit and whatnot.

That bothered me as well. I hope that kind of stuff is just a result of the game being unfinished; that kind of sloppiness really hurts the overall visual presentation.

Also, the traditionally animated cutscenes look like something out of a mediocre student's demo reel - why did they bother?

Pancho

Qurupancho
Just finished playing the demo and it's a really good game, not as OMFG AWESOME as some of my friends told me but good. Sure, it's a blatant rip-off of GOW but a good one. I do feel though that the environment and textures are really bland and I found the main char's design boring, also was it me? Or the battle against
death
is really really underwhelming?

MDSLKTR

Not day 1, but a must-buy. Also can't wait for dead space 2, the sound environnement they created in this is on par (if not better) than ds1.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
played the demo.

If I was a 360-only gamer I would say this was a strong buy. A total GoW clone but considering there's nothing yet like that on 360 in that case it's a great thing.

On PS3 I'll probably pass this over for GoW3, but could see myself picking it up down the line either used or new reduced.

The demo was actually really fun. Graphics on the PS3 were top notch and from what I could tell not too many framerate dips. To be honest, the most intriguing thing to me about the game is the setting. Going through the 9 levels of hell could lead to some beautiful production and awesome bosses. that's where this game stands to shine.

Just seems strange that EA would release this almost exactly a month before GoW3 drops. 360 sales should do well enough (the game is really good) but PS3 sales will have like a week or two tops before the sony marketing machine kicks in for GoW3.

edit - and I agree that the first battle should have been ten times more epic than it was......... I get that it's the first battle and all and you are still total scrub dude, but they should have found some way to do it like the beginning of Wonder Boy III for example.... where you start out (somehow) an uber bad ass, and then get stripped of everything to newb mode when you start the game proper... I mean when you are fighting
death
, shit should be epic.

FHIZ

AKS said:
I felt pretty underwhelmed after already playing through the God of War III demo.
My thoughts exactly

Its by no means a bad game (er, demo) but like others have said, the amount that it has been "influenced" by God of War is a bit ridiculous. Aside from the circle button, the controls are the same!

I also felt the combat was a little stiff and not as fun as God of War.

I can't say that I'll buy it, who knows maybe, but I will at least rent it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yep, it's a rock solid 60 fps. All of the cutscenes run at 30 fps (perhaps they are pre-recorded videos?), but the game is 60 fps all the time. Considering how smooth it runs, I think it looks pretty nice.

MrHicks

Banned
this together with that conan game are the dictionary definition of a "poor mans GOW"

its basicly GOW with a different skin + lower budget

i was feeling the game when it started. i liked that they recited the opening dialogue from the book

then dante stabbed himself in the chest with a sowing needle. ok

Gameplay i liked, but the game is so fucking ugly at times and lets face it, he's not as hardcore as kratos.

Wont buy it at release but when I get tired of GoW3 i can see myself picking this up.

Darkpen

Banned
Just finished the demo, and I have to say, I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Sure, graphically its kinda really poor, and I really dislike the fact that rolling is done with the right thumb stick (I'm so much more used to block+rolling/dodging in NGS2), but despite it blatantly stealing various USPs of the GoW franchise, I honestly enjoyed this far more than my impressions of the time I've spent with the GoW games, including the GoW3 demo.

Not only did this demo demonstrate the upgrade system, and its rather interesting approach to what feels like a mix between Bioshock's harvest/save system and a combat/abilty upgrade tree, but it also appealed to my agnostic sensibilities of "lol u fucked up, but its ok, you can redeem yourself."

Not to mention, how cool is it that the scythe he gets is from Death :lol :lol I found that detail to be absolutely hilarious, and just makes me that much more interested in the game.

Also, boobs <3

Huggers

I like the art and style, found the demo itself to be too much of a cynical rip off of GOW. Speaking strictly demo wise it feels and looks insignificant next to GOW. Still, with that great setting who knows, it may turn out ok but it's definitely not day one for me

Minamu

Played it. The best part was definitely the warning label before it started. It MAY contain content inappropriate for children? :lol It was alright but I hope the demo is just as bad as the Dead Space demo was, 'cause I'm not really seeing the awesome quality we have come to expect from Visceral Games so far :(

Top Bottom