• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dante's Inferno demo coming this month, hitting PSN first, XBL two weeks later

I pre-ordered today, but the only option on the PS3 was the Divine Edition @ $59.99...seems odd that they have all the extras on the normal $60 price tag.

Blue Heeler said:
I pre-ordered today, but the only option on the PS3 was the Divine Edition @ $59.99...seems odd that they have all the extras on the normal $60 price tag.

It's the "exclusive" PS3 edition. You can't order anything but.

My wife and I were laughing while I played this demo. No thanks. It's so terrible. When I walked up to an area and saw a fountain with some green glowy-ness I knew I'd be mashing a button a la GOW's chests. Calling it before it happened made it that much more hilarious.

And what the hell (no pun intended) was up with that shitty "boss" battle against Death? Seriously.... WTF?! I'm sure it's just the first boss and all but I could have done that with my eyes closed but since it took so long, I probably would have fallen asleep if I had. Attack, attack, block X100. There's was no real threat as blocking took care of everything and why the hell did it take that long? It was boring. No depth, style or substance at all. At least GOW got the tutrorial boss battles over with and moixed shit up in the meantime. Fuck it's terrible.

thetrin said:
I personally strongly disliked the demo, for two reasons:

1) It's a fucking insult to my literary sensibilities

2) It's boring and derivative. No thanks, I'll stick to Bayonetta.

Not to mention the game is downright bland. Graphically, it did nothing for me. Bayonetta and GoW3 were both far more graphically appealing.
In total agreement. I kept holding out hope that I would like this game, coming from the Dead Space guys and all, but the demo killed it.

LLaMa-Tech said:
Boobs and crosses don't really mix IMO.
Visceral games think they do. I imagine at some point in the game, you will literally kill a woman with a cross through the boob.

jergrah

I played a different demo for this at PAX earlier this year and was somewhat indifferent towards it - but I enjoyed this demo quite a bit. Does it feel a lot like GoW, Yes -- but thats not a bad thing in my opinion. Ill most likely pick this up when it comes out and play through it before GoW3 comes out.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I tried the demo, it seemed like a competent game but like a lot of you I can't help but compare it to the superior God of War series. The cartoon cutscenes were funny, though, and I LOL'd when Dante tired to stitch up his gaping chest wound and went "WAHHHHHHHHHHHH".

AndyD

aka andydumi
Snuggler said:
I tried the demo, it seemed like a competent game but like a lot of you I can't help but compare it to the superior God of War series. The cartoon cutscenes were funny, though, and I LOL'd when Dante tired to stitch up his gaping chest wound and went "WAHHHHHHHHHHHH".

It was hilarious. It looked like he had done about 100 stitches then he cried out at 1 more and scared all the birds. Were the birds not scared at the first 100 cries?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
AndyD said:
It was hilarious. It looked like he had done about 100 stitches then he cried out at 1 more and scared all the birds. Were the birds not scared at the first 100 cries?

He had a "I CAME" look one his face, which made it even funnier. I need a GIF of that, stat.

Kuraudo

Banned
AndyD said:

His morphine wore off on the last one.

After playing the demo, I'm just not feeling it. I just can't justify myself on paying 60$ when GOW 3 is coming out the following month. Thought I'll probably pick it up when it's on sale.

This game is for the 14 year old that think that blood and boobs is all you need in a game to be cool. Had God of War not existed however it could have been a decent demo. Then again, Bayonetta is coming in January and it does play significantly better.

Oh but it did one good thing. Whenever theres an piece of the environment being destroyed you get a sense of urgency because you can die. Its not like every game in which, for example, a floor crumbles and the games waits for you to get off it so it can finally break.

roxya

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Did you find the battle against death to be fun??? no frames per second would make that shit fun.

Not representative of the rest of the game. Yeah it's shitty, but then you steal his scythe.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Did you find the battle against death to be fun??? no frames per second would make that shit fun.

Everything without the Scythe was silly. Makes sense that as soon as you pick it up you cleave Death in half with it, thus actually starting the demo.

Why is everybody assuming everyone owns a PS3 AND a 360?

Us 360 owners won't get a chance to play GOW 3. And that's the vast majority of 360 owners. So all of this, "Why buy this when GOW 3 comes out right after!?!?!" stuff has a pretty freaking obvious answer for us non-PS3 owners.

For a whole lot of people in this thread, the question isn't whether it's better than GOW, it's whether it's better than the other 360 games coming out in Q1.

ultron87

Despite the utter rape of the source material and the hilariously gratuitous nudity I did get a bit of enjoyment out of the demo. If they go full bore on the art direction in hell it could make for some interesting locales.

Also, it had Pew Pew laser crosses.

Sapiens

It was good. Great 60 FPS. Great gameplay. Story was actually pretty okay for a game.

Don't like the button mashing to get health, so I won't be buying it. That shit gets old.

StuBurns

Banned
David H Wong said:
For a whole lot of people in this thread, the question isn't whether it's better than GOW, it's whether it's better than the other 360 games coming out in Q1.
The answer is no though isn't it? Early next year is insanely jam packed, for PS3, 360 and PS360 owners.

I was surprised how poor the demo was, even without the massacre of the poem, it was awful.

Kittonwy

Banned
Kuraudo said:
Thought it was awful. I'm really surprised it's getting so much love.

The demo was basically mediocre at best, I really don't get the whole "it sucks but I'm going to give it a chance" rationale, so many mediocre games sell because of this while better games get overlooked.

bdouble

So having never played GoW I played this last night and it was quite enjoyable. Sure I noticed everything came from GoW. So what. I played this and Bayonetta and both were fun. Also started playing the GoW collection today so once I get more into that then maybe DI won't be as fun because from the looks of it GoW3 looks insane.

Bayonetta is just on a whole new level of crazyness though in a completely different type of game. Combat was fun as hell and different. More like NG and DMC. Loved getting a score after each encounter and there is so much variety.

Kittonwy

Banned
offshore said:
If 360 owners love Dante's Inferno, then Sony will probably be delighted more than anything, as 360 owners may be more inclined to get a PS3 and GoW3 if they love DI so much.

No 360 owner is going to buy a PS3 and GoW3 if they don't like the premise of Dante's Inferno....that's probably why Stig Asmussen (GoW3 director) wants Dante's Inferno to be a success...

That's the kind of a politically correct/disingenuous answer one would give the press.

That's like saying Bungie wanting MW2 to be as big as it is so people would go and buy a HALO game, they won't. HALO being the only big time FPS game in town was much better for Bungie.

Why would Sony Santa Monica want yet another success multiplatform title competing with their own when it's much better for them to be the only AAA experience in town and if anyone is interested in the genre, they would HAVE to buy GOW3? Stig is not going to say he wants Dante's Inferno to fail, but the genre is crowded already and GOW3 really doesn't need yet another action title to compete against. It's really not a good thing for the genre if mediocre titles get financially rewarded while taking potential sales away from a AAA title.

MoFuzz

Kittonwy said:
The demo was basically mediocre at best, I really don't get the whole "it sucks but I'm going to give it a chance" rationale, so many mediocre games sell because of this while better games get overlooked.

Well personally, a lot of the slack they're getting from me comes from the fact that the Dead Space demo was kind of lame, but the final game turned out great. If these guys hadn't made Dead Space, even the tiniest bit of hope I have for this game would be nonexistent.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Kittonwy said:

This demo appears to be in a similar spot as the Dead Space demo. That demo was a terrible representation of the game. You don't get the scythe for nearly half of it. You wait even longer to get the cross. Basically no magic. Base level attacks. No combat relics equipped and worst of all it doesn't even take place in Hell. On top of that the last game these guys released was a pretty good rail shooter and before that one of the best games of 08.

I have a feeling that the full game will be a bit better.

Rolf NB

_tetsuo_ said:
This demo appears to be in a similar spot as the Dead Space demo. That demo was a terrible representation of the game. You don't get the scythe for nearly half of it. You wait even longer to get the cross. Basically no magic. Base level attacks. No combat relics equipped and worst of all it doesn't even take place in Hell. On top of that the last game these guys released was a pretty good rail shooter and before that one of the best games of 08.

I've once accidentally let the intercom open on the channel to that Nintendo super-fan camp. Amidst the screaming and gnashing of teeth I was informed that Extraction was not developed by Visceral, but in fact farmed out to unworthy demi-human-like beings who get paid in chestnuts and coal.

I like Dead Space Extraction. It's a fun game.

Willectro

Banned
Didn't mind the demo. As mentioned numerous times, this game is shockingly similar to God of War. There seriously must be pending lawsuits.

I didn't find the gameplay to be as boring as some people are saying. At the end of the demo I wanted to go back for more. The cut scenes looked amazing IMO. Some of the better graphics I've seen. Gameplay graphics not so much.

Overall, seems like this will be a rental. More than likely on Xbox.

_tetsuo_ said:

The Simpsons Game was the best game of 08? Because that's the team that's making this...

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I thought the game was decent and looked pretty good. Sure, it's a God of War ripoff, but certainly not bad, all things considering. I also love the fact that it runs at a buttery smooth 60 fps. :D Oh, and yeah, the cut-scenes, I can definitely do without...lame.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why does everyone think you mash buttons to open chests in the GoW games? I've seen that comment so many times in this thread when comparing this game to them, and you never once do that in those games! You simply hold a button (R2 or R1, depending on which game we're talking about) for a second or two to open chests. So Visceral Games have copied the general concept (with fountains instead of chests), but made it more annoying by requiring you to mash a button. I really don't know why they chose to do this, it's gonna get really tiresome. I guess they wanted the timed mechanic (to make getting energy in the middle of a fight more difficult), but without copying the exact way it works in GoW.

You do, however, mash a button to open doors/gates in the GoW games (which admittedly gets a bit old).

_tetsuo_ said:

I'm looking forward to it because of the dev diaries, there's some sweet footage there.

what a great demo. i certainly had a lot of fun with it and the silky smooth 60fps sure does make a difference in games like this :D

only thing i did not like were the qte's and pre-scythe action.

Kittonwy

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:

The problem was that even with the scythe and the cross, and the ability to counter, the demo was still boring, most people stick to the basic attacks in an action game and the basic attacks in the demo elicit zero excitement.

That's not to say the demo wasn't FUNCTIONAL, there was nothing broken about it, but for a game that is supposed to put the player on a journey through hell the demo was boring as hell.

The Dead Space demo was decent, it highlighted one of the final game's more interesting game mechanics which was dismemberment, when it came to the Dante's Inferno demo, there wasn't one gameplay mechanic worth caring about.

The Dead Space demo looked good, the Dante's Inferno demo didn't.

As for pedigree, I still don't understand why people continue to judge games or demos based on pedigree instead of what they see with their own eyes.

Truant

I don't think the Dead Space team are doing Dante, seeing as Dead Space 2 has been in development for some time.

KTallguy

Banned
I thought it was fun enough. I want to play the God of War 3 demo before I decide if I am going to get one of them.

I also find the art style really appealing, slightly more than GoW to be honest.

Truant said:
I don't think the Dead Space team are doing Dante, seeing as Dead Space 2 has been in development for some time.
Well that would make sense... No offense but I think they got their B team to do this.

ITT GAF demonstrates its inability to to discern between shades of grey.

This game is either completely fucking shit and causes you to vomit at its mere presence or its pretty damn good and comparisons to GOW are unfair.

Frankly I thought it was decent enough effort although obviously apeing GOW and its ilk. It was never going to redefine the genre now was it? At least its trying to copy elements of some of the best games of last gen.

Wizman23

Banned
I agree with whoever said that this demo is better then the GOW3 demo. We don't even get to step foot into Hell during the demo and it is still fuck awesome. I also find it funny that the people downplaying the game are the biggest Sony defenders on GAF. Day fucking one here.

Rolf NB

Wizman23 said:
I agree with whoever said that this demo is better then the GOW3 demo. We don't even get to step foot into Hell during the demo and it is still fuck awesome. I also find it funny that the people downplaying the game are the biggest Sony defenders on GAF. Day fucking one here.
What about me? Have I lost my touch?

PasteyMF

_tetsuo_ said:
This demo appears to be in a similar spot as the Dead Space demo. That demo was a terrible representation of the game. You don't get the scythe for nearly half of it. You wait even longer to get the cross. Basically no magic. Base level attacks. No combat relics equipped and worst of all it doesn't even take place in Hell.

This would in fact make the game worse.
The same mediocre mechanics that I get at the beginning of a 20 minute demo appear after 5 hours of playing the retail game? No thanks.

In case anyone's interested, they're holding a live stream interview with the art director and the lead sound designer at the Dante's Inferno website. You can send in some questions through Twitter or Facebook.

Arde5643

Is the gameplay of the demo better and more exciting than all of the gameplay videos I've seen so far?

The gameplay video makes it seem like I'll be fast asleep playing this game... Just looks so tedious and boring.

my expectations before playing the demo were at about zero, but after I tried it I thought it was pretty fun. It's a complete god of war ripoff, but it was still pretty good.

Top Bottom