• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours out November 4 (PS4/V), December 3 (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lernaean

Banned
I'm crazy hyped for DB, been waiting/wishing for it forever.
Just to get it straight, it releases in the west before Japan, starting with PS in the end of the month? That's crazy.

Double dipping surely (OS4 and Steam)

I'm in for this day one. Show support guys if you are wanting this. As another poster mentioned, please don't wait for a sale. We may not get any more.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The stream is live right now--it looks like the arcade modes maintain the original aspect ratio while the new mode is optimised for 16:9.

21:9 support? I only have one monitor but it is super wide :)

Presumably there will be a native aspect ratio option on PS4 as well? Sure it'd have bars but on a big TV that'd be ok.

I want a Taito museum collection with all their widescreen games. Ninja warrior on an emulator is great on a 21:9 monitor.

You may already know this but in case you don't: Hamster has started releasing Taito games for PS4 Arcade Archives, and this will include Darius and Ninja Warriors at their original arcade resolutions.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The stream is live right now--it looks like the arcade modes maintain the original aspect ratio while the new mode is optimised for 16:9.

You may already know this but in case you don't: Hamster has started releasing Taito games for PS4 Arcade Archives, and this will include Darius and Ninja Warriors at their original arcade resolutions.

No I didn't. I've not been paying attention to Arcade Archives as the lineup didn't appeal. But I will pay attention now!

@MUWANdo

Banned
No I didn't. I've not been paying attention to Arcade Archives as the lineup didn't appeal. But I will pay attention now!

Yeah, they've really picked up recently. They also just announced they'll be doing a Salamander/Life Force package, that should be cool.

This is great news! wow...a new Darius and on freakin pc. So many shmups!

The last Darius game I played was G-Darius which I really liked so I'll get this day one for sure.

vall03

I honestly don't know where to get this game. Any platform is fine, but I'm currently inclined to get it on PC. Still have weeks to decide.

I wonder how much the Steam version is going to cost.

On the stream, the price for the Windows and PS4 versions are the same (6300? yen)

Momentary

Banned
That's what I figured.
However, when it comes to Steam, Darius Burst is going to crash and burn at that price.

The STEAM community does love to cheapen the value of games. Especially fighting games and shoot'em ups. I don't know why. Hopefully they come in at a decent price point. I don't expect this to be less than 39.99 though. What I do expect is to see people whining about the price here and on the STEAM forums.

grendelrt

Think they will allow ultra widescreen on one video output? I have a 100" projector so even if its letterboxed to hell it would still be playable.

I wonder how much the Steam version is going to cost.

On the stream, the price for the Windows and PS4 versions are the same (6300? yen)

I'm preparing my wallet for any price (the PSP version was more than worth the asking price, and this is a super enhanced version.)

I love that Eschatos and Mushi came out at very reasonable prices on PC, but I imagine DariusBurst will go straight for the dedicated shmup audience before dipping in price. Plus the PS4/Vita versions will very likely launch at full price and I'm sure they won't want to undercut those.

wouwie

Looks interesting since i like shootem up games. I'm not familiar with this franchise though. I looked it up and apparently, it's a conversion of an arcade game (which probably explains why there isn't all that much info and very little gameplay videos?). How good are these games? I assume this is somewhat similar to R-Type gameplay wise?

AmyS

Looks interesting since i like shootem up games. I'm not familiar with this franchise though. I looked it up and apparently, it's a conversion of an arcade game (which probably explains why there isn't all that much info and very little gameplay videos?). How good are these games? I assume this is somewhat similar to R-Type gameplay wise?

I would think G Darius on PS1 and Taito's PlayStation-based FX-1B arcade board would be a closer example of the kind of gameplay to expect with Darius Burst, than say, R-Type.

RhJjtRS.jpg

kcAC1BZ.jpg

qWmrkcx.jpg

7lCtqZP.jpg

arcade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGpGTZrq6dc

PS1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Wtlvh8fGU

Its a horizontal shooter like R-Type but they play pretty differently.

R-Type requires more planning and the level design kinda works against you (but in a really fun way). Death is very punishing, sending you back to a checkpoint and likely resulting in a roadblock. It's hard as hell, and it's not for everyone, but I love the series.

Darius is more aggressive and you can improvise a lot more. It's a lot more forgiving. No checkpoint restarts, shield powerups are really great, and it's generally easier through out. I would highly recommend Dariusburst as a wonderful way to jump into shmups for newer players. Me and a buddy have been working on a 2player 1cc on the first path in Dariusburst and we've already come pretty close. He's only played a few hours of shmups before, and we're already pretty close to 1cc'ing it.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Anything Konami is dead.

There's the potential for someone to just license the IP and develop/publish a new game themselves, I suppose. (That's exactly what's happening here--Pyramid is the developer, Chara-Ani/Degica is the publisher, Taito's just the licensor.)

PantsuJo

There's the potential for someone to just license the IP and develop/publish a new game themselves, I suppose. (That's exactly what's happening here--Pyramid is the developer, Chara-Ani/Degica is the publisher, Taito's just the licensor.)
And what about Thunderforce license? TechnoSoft IPs are property of Konami, right?

@MUWANdo

Banned
And what about Thunderforce license? TechnoSoft IPs are property of Konami, right?

Thunder Force and some other old Tecnosoft IP are owned by a former Tecnosoft guy. He licensed the IP to Sega for Thunder Force VI but I suppose he's not interested in re-releasing the older games, or is asking for too much money or something.

Occam

Thunder Force and some other old Tecnosoft IP are owned by a former Tecnosoft guy. He licensed the IP to Sega for Thunder Force VI but I suppose he's not interested in re-releasing the older games, or is asking for too much money or something.

Oh, good to know. At least it's not owned by a pachinko company.

AmyS

You scared the shit out of me. TechnoSoft IP was some of the best in the industry. Not only are they famous for the ThunderForce series, they also jump-started and inspired the Real-Time Strategy genre with Herzog Zwei.

Good.

Has Degica put out a physical release for anything they've published? I'd love to have a physical copy but just trying to set my expectations appropriately.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Has Degica put out a physical release for anything they've published? I'd love to have a physical copy but just trying to set my expectations appropriately.

I think we won't have physical in the West sadly. Still, at least we're getting a pretty swift localization.

Here's the box art for the physical Vita release (yes, still Japan-only):
jJZSwsq.jpg

They've confirmed Vita TV support, also.

I pre-ordered this the other day. I'm kind of hoping the later release date somehow leads to the Japanese version having an English language option. Not like it's an RPG or VN, but even just menus helps.

AmyS

Darius II (aka Sagaia for EU arcades, EU Mega Drive and U.S. Genesis) and Darius Gaiden are easily my favorite games in the series. So looking forward to November 30th.

PC-GAF: after the Steam version is out, those of you who plan to use multi-monitor support (I forget if it's two or three), I would like to pre-request some off-screen and direct capture videos/

Good to see this is coming since Gradius is dead. :-(

God Damn It! Stop making me sad! Somebody needs to buy that IP from Konami, vs having it still there doing nothing

ARGH!!!! DAMN U KONAMI!

The arcade machine for this has taken over $90+ from me, so this will be a day-1 purchase for me. >.>

I hate you ;( I only saw this thing at the 2015 Otakon and I couldn't even get on it, as I was working the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom