• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours out November 4 (PS4/V), December 3 (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got it for my Vita a few minutes ago. Game looks amazing in all modes. Native res and 60fps. Everything is fluid. Music is unbelievably good. If any of these were worrying you guys, feel free to jump in now.

This is an amazing game on a great genre and deserves all the support we can give it.

Glad to hear it runs so well on the Vita, I now really can't wait to receive my import physical copy of the game when its released :)

Of course this thread as taken a course about price and cost. Good lord, it is freaking Darius Burst and one of the first arcade shooter titles to make it to this gen. Go with it.

It is really annoying. Why this one of all games?

Now we know why we can't ask for nice things when we wonder why game x does not get localized.

AmyS

On a completely different note, I definitely would've bought one of these, had it come out:

kvrxg4q.jpg

It is really annoying. Why this one of all games?

Now we know why we can't ask for nice things when we wonder why game x does not get localized.

Because "this one of all games" is much, much more expensive than similar games of the same nature.

I'm buying it, but I still think they've made a mistake with the pricing.

AmyS

Maybe they're still negotiating the final PS4 price. Not from any reaction, but to figure out how they'll profit the most, from either a $60 price and perhaps fewer people buying it, or $40-$50 price with perhaps more people buying it.

Occam

Yeah, I know I should do the same, just on principle.

I am not buying a digital copy at this price ($60 USD for PS4) on principle.
If they want my money, then they either need to offer physical copies or significantly lower the price. This whole affair is shameful. Darius is a well-known long running series - there is no excuse not to sell physical copies of Dariusburst for PS4 when even small-time indie games like Hotline Miami get a retail release in Japan.

AmyS

I am not buying a digital copy at this price ($60 USD for PS4) on principle.
If they want my money, then they either need to offer physical copies or significantly lower the price. This whole affair is shameful. Darius is a well-known long running series - there is no excuse not to sell physical copies of Dariusburst for PS4 when even small-time indie games like Hotline Miami get a retail release in Japan.

I certainly cannot disagree with that.

@MUWANdo

Banned
$60... LOL yeah I'll wait till it hits $10-15. That's a ridiculous price unless the game is like jam packed with content.

3000+ stages in Chronicle mode plus 200+ new stages in CS mode, in addition to the traditional arcade routes, so yeah, it's not a "30-minute game" or whatever other dumb reductive comment reviewers like to level against these games--if you dig it, you won't be lacking in things to do.

schnarf

Super interested in this, but concerned about how small everything will appear on the Vita screen. Can anyone who has this on their Vita comment on this, and maybe upload some screenshots of the two different modes from your vita?
Would be very much appreciated.

Little heads-up for anyone on the fence: the game is the same price CAD on the Canadian PSN store (i.e. $60 CAD) which works out to about $45 US. If you just make a new Canadian PSN account and set your PS4 as primary for it you can of course just switch back to your main account once the game starts downloading. (I had to get kind of roundabout as far as payment, made a Canadian PayPal and linked my US debit card to it, then sent money to it from my main PayPal.)
Definitely not wanting to swindle the developers out of money, but I figure if you're undecided and the cheaper price convinces you then that's a gain, not a loss.

Wonko_C

Is that even technically possibly with how PS4 is configured...software wise? (or whatever aspect is relevant).

It should in theory. I remember several Forza Motorsport games having that option on Xbox 360, you needed one copy of the game for each console up to three, though.

I'll be running a live preview for the PC version of DariusBurst CS in ~30 minutes (8PM EST) if you're interested in checking out the game in more detail.

http://www.twitch.tv/degigames

Will be looking at game features, modes, and explaining the difference between all the versions, among other things. See you there!

JP

Spent a couple of hours on this now and I'm loving it, it just seems to keep throwing new stuff at me as I play it. Don't think I've played a Darius since the PS1 days so this is really refreshing and it's probably my favouirte Christmas game, I include all the major releases in that too. :)

Does anybody know if a Hori Fighting Commander 4 would work properly with this? Does the PS4 just see it as a standard controller so it'll technically work with any game the doesn't require buttons that aren't on this?

I've managed top unlock a few of the levels for people out there. It's only just been released so there is still the vast majority of the 3000+ levels locked.

Think I need to have a proper read of the instruction booklet as I'm probably missing a lot of what is going on in the background.

system11

p.s. I didn't realize it had mirrors.

Yes, all the multi screen CRT Taito games did. Darius has one screen in the middle with mirrors to each side, the left and right screens are in the cab facing upwards. They had to do this to eliminate CRT screen borders, the effect isn't perfect but it's ok.

Ninja Warriors had side ones facing the player and the middle screen facing upwards on one mirror, Sagaia (Darius 2) and Warrior Blade were 2 screen games and had one of each.

I used to own a Ninja Warriors and a Sagaia, the hard part is keeping all the old monitors calibrated closely so the picture looks less like 3 different screens.

I don't recommend trying to lift a NW upright from laying on its back for transit on your own. It was a close call....

Momentary

Banned
My thoughts on the PC version of the game:

I'm just going to start off by saying I have nothing but praise for this game. With that said I know most STEAM users are going to look at the price point for this and think, "They've GOT to be out of their minds!" No they aren't This game is packed with so much content that I don't think there's a single game of its kind that can topple. I'll even say that you couldn't even combine 3 or 4 games together to get the amount of content that this game has to offer fans of the genre.

Aesthetically this game brings a simple and clean presentation to the table. The UI for ship combat is clean and simple to understand without too much info bombarding the player while they are struggling to keep their ship from a fiery demise. The 3D models are low in the polygon department, yet beautifully designed. Everything from simple cannon fodder enemies to the enormous bosses look great.

When it comes to blasting things into the next dimension this game brings it home. Every stage I've played so far in CS mode feels satisfying to navigate through while serving a healthy dose of destruction to everything in your wake. The slew of ship models in the game keep everything feeling fresh. Each ship brings something different to the table, be it bombs, options (bits), firing patterns, lasers, devastating counter lasers... You're going to have a different experience trying each one.

Areas feel a bit easy at first, but the difficulty steadily increases with each one you go to. And there's 200 of them in this mode. You'll be forced to learn enemy formation patterns, stage layouts, and boss attack patterns. Also, don't worry about encountering the same boss two or three times. While sometimes bosses look the same, their attack patterns sure as heck are not. Nothing I've encountered so far has felt unfair to me and every death I've had in an area has brought me closer to success on my next go around. This game does a great job of being difficult without being frustrating.

The music is another thing in this game that really caught me off guard. The soundtrack and sound design for this game is just superb. Everything feels new yet very nostalgic. It's as if I've been transported over 20 years back to the past to enjoy some of the older games from back in my youth. It's something that just feels great to experience while going through the game. With that said, the music still sounds fresh and sound effects are of a better quality than what us older people had from back in the day.

The thing that boggles my mind with the game is that I haven't even touch AC mode which contains 3 other modes within it and the original aspect ratio of the arcade version which will allow PC players to enjoy an authentic quarter crunching experience. There's one mode (Chronicle I believe) that has 3000 stages that are unlocked by the community. Each "cabinet" is like its own little universe which players can pick before starting AC mode. The further you and players in that cabinet get through Chronicles the more worlds you unlock. It adds a VERY lite MMO aspect to the game which will keep this game fresh far a good long while.

But for me, I'm content with trying to survive through CS mode. I don't see myself finishing that anytime soon since I'm on the less skilled side of the spectrum when it comes to Shoot'em Ups. Like I've stated in the beginning, your money will not go to waste on this game is you're a fan of the genre and have been waiting for a content heavy shmup to come across the STEAM store. PC has been getting a RIDICULOUS amount of fantastic shooters in the last two years and DARIUSBURST has easily sky rocketed to the top 3 in my opinion. This is a top shelf experience and a title that deserves to be in every shmup fan's catalogue.

trebbble

I picked this up and am really enjoying it.

I always had a soft spot for shmups, but I'm not really hardcore about them. I've played some of the Treasure and Cave titles, and really enjoyed Rez. I also played Dariusburst on iOS and enjoyed it.

Pardon the pun, but I'd just say if you're on the fence about this, give it a shot.

There's tons of content, and it plays really well. Great flexibility in difficulty and the widescreen arcade port is quite interesting from a gameplay standpoint due to the width.

I'd say it's fair value for the money. I bought a hard copy of Ikaruga at launch for Gamecube, and this is arguably better value due to the amount of content and multiplayer elements.

I'd also argue that the digital version is well suited for this game. While I almost exclusively buy hard copies, I'm liking the ability to just load this up and play in between longer sessions of games like Fallout and Battlefront without having to change the disc.

Anyways, just thought I'd share my experience so far with everyone :)

I went to go buy this today and my jaw dropped at the $60 price tag.

A digital only SHMUP should be $20 with a $15 first week discount.

This is going to sell like sub 500 copies at that price.

Malick[AI];187636824 said:

I think some of you are blowing this out of proportion.

A delivery system is such a non-issue for niche fans. Way of the Samurai 4, for example, was digital only when it dropped in the US, and people still bought that because while it's nice to have a physical copy, you still want to play the game, right?

They are pretty upfront with the content. Shmup fans will look at that and freak out, and probably buy the damn thing. Plus, it's offering content more than most games that price.

Where a game lives in the genre and where it's distrusted really shouldn't have an impact on whether you want it or not, barring fence-sitting or if the actual distribution method is soon to be extinct. And if that's the case on the latter, get it on Steam, which will forever be eternal.

The End

Hardcore shmup fans are the spendy type. I wouldn't be shocked to see the price drop to $40 after a couple months once they've milked that market.

Why should an entire genre be relegated to budget price? That is absolutely ridiculous. I don't get it. I hate this mindset.

VariantX

I think if they do a good job of letting folks know that there's a full campaign mode with over 200 levels, four player coop, around 9 ships to choose, and chronicle mode with 3k ish stages, they can justify that price. Its not like you won't get your money's worth if pay the full $60 price.

robot

CS Mode is where it's at. Amazing game so far, exceeded my expectations.

Should we organize a specific cabinet # for Chronicle Mode? Would like to start digging through that one after I get a little better.

Why should an entire genre be relegated to budget price? That is absolutely ridiculous. I don't get it. I hate this mindset.

Speaking as someone who owns physical LE imports of most modern SHMUPS. I just don't value digital goods as much as physical ones. Make a physical copy with a soundtrack and sure I will throw down some cash for it.

Mushi, Ikaruga, and the 360 Radiant Silvergun are genre defining games that released in the USA digitally at sub $20 price points. Daruis is B tier hori at best and costs more than all of them combined.

Teknoman

CS Mode is where it's at. Amazing game so far, exceeded my expectations.

Should we organize a specific cabinet # for Chronicle Mode? Would like to start digging through that one after I get a little better.

Is there an OT up yet? Also what are the cabinets? Basically just specific leaderboards?

robot

Is there an OT up yet? Also what are the cabinets? Basically just specific leaderboards?

From what I've gathered, you choose a cabinet number and everyone in that number works together towards unlocking all of the stages inside.

Basically each hex on the grid is a set of levels with a challenge (no continues, no power ups, etc). Each hex also tracks the highest score. Looks like there's a ton of levels to play in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom