• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours out November 4 (PS4/V), December 3 (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta say I'm not impressed with the UI at all. The menus on the start screen, there's seriously no way to go back? Ooops, I clicked the wrong button, now I gotta enter all the way into the game, then quit the game, then back to the main menu because I accidentally pressed the wrong button.

Also makes it so I can't explore all the different menu options to see about the different game modes. There's also no instructions, controller map to show what buttons do, loading screens that give you tips to show you what the different power ups / or weapons types are, no explanation of the different icons, game modes, etc.

Momentary

Banned
Malick[AI];187639131 said:
Speaking as someone who owns physical LE imports of most modern SHMUPS. I just don't value digital goods as much as physical ones. Make a physical copy with a soundtrack and sure I will throw down some cash for it.

Mushi, Ikaruga, and the 360 Radiant Silvergun are genre defining games that released in the USA digitally at sub $20 price points. Daruis is B tier hori at best and costs more than all of them combined.

This isn't B Tier by any means. All those games mentioned are over a decade old and this version of the game has never been released anywhere and has so much content that it's damn mind blowing.

Gotta say I'm not impressed with the UI at all. The menus on the start screen, there's seriously no way to go back? Ooops, I clicked the wrong button, now I gotta enter all the way into the game, then quit the game, then back to the main menu because I accidentally pressed the wrong button.

Also makes it so I can't explore all the different menu options to see about the different game modes. There's also no instructions, controller map to show what buttons do, loading screens that give you tips to show you what the different power ups / or weapons types are, no explanation of the different icons, game modes, etc.

On the PC version you just hit the "B" button on your controller and it takes you back. If this is on the console or vita version then there is definitely update coming since this game has been updated 1 to 2 times a day since it went into testing.

Coda

Hard to justify spending a full $60 on this game, and this is someone who spent $100 dollars on various Cave ports.

So Steam says the game will not release for another 21 hours... WTF... I thought I was going to be able to play it on the 3rd...

robot

One important thing I discovered is while the game does support custom button mapping, it is ship specific and not a global change (at least in AC mode).

If you choose a ship other than the default, you can change the buttons once the game starts, and those changes should save for future plays with that ship.

Also it looks like some ships have different controls - the Gaiden(?) ship uses a black hole bomb instead of bursts, and one less button. Translating those instruction cards would've came in handy lol.

Momentary

Banned
Translation of the cards is something that I feel needs to be addressed too. Their pretty much useless right now unless you know Japanese.

This isn't B Tier by any means. All those games mentioned are over a decade old and this version of the game has never been released anywhere and has so much content that it's damn mind blowing.

On the PC version you just hit the "B" button on your controller and it takes you back. If this is on the console or vita version then there is definitely update coming since this game has been updated 1 to 2 times a day since it went into testing.

Yea on PS4 every single button does the same thing. Takes you forward.

Translation of the cards is something that I feel needs to be addressed too. Their pretty much useless right now unless you know Japanese.

The thing about those cards is that the text is part of the graphic. Taito would have to design new cards rather than change just the text.

OH! If you don't start a game while in AC mode, a demo will play that shows a few hints (in English!).

Anybody got the Darius hoodie?

CVE48sjUwAAnoYC.png:large

uh... how/where to get that hoodie?

Momentary

Banned
At first I wasn't sure if I loved it or hated it...but I'm leaning towards love.

At first I did not like this song... Now I think it's pretty damn good. Like I'm really hoping to run into another stage that has this as its track. Something about how it picks up at the end is what makes it for me.

Hate it or not, the fact that so many people are shocked over the price should tell that no matter how it should be, it is going to hamper sales

I really doubt most of the people shocked about the price were about to pick this game up in the first place, especially when it's common knowledge on how much content is packed within.

Malick[AI];187639131 said:
Speaking as someone who owns physical LE imports of most modern SHMUPS. I just don't value digital goods as much as physical ones. Make a physical copy with a soundtrack and sure I will throw down some cash for it.

This is my line of thought. Be it $60, or something closer to say...$150 for a LE, I'm entirely willing to pay those prices - just not for a digital version that I can't hold in my hands and has absolutely zero resale value. $15 - 20 is what I would be fine in paying, but $60 is completely absurd when you're not going to offer me something tangible.

This is my line of thought. Be it $60, or something closer to say...$150 for a LE, I'm entirely willing to pay those prices - just not for a digital version that I can't hold in my hands and has absolutely zero resale value. $15 - 20 is what I would be fine in paying, but $60 is completely absurd when you're not going to offer me something tangible.

Fully agree. I'm picking up the Japanese Vita release next month and wait for a price drop on PS4. Around 20$ is my limit for digital only content. :)

Shady859

Anyone got leaderboard numbers of how many people actually anted up $60? I was ready to buy this before seeing the price. I haven't paid full price for a physical game in years let alone a digital game. This isn't how you attract buyers to a dying genre.

Anyone got leaderboard numbers of how many people actually anted up $60? I was ready to buy this before seeing the price. I haven't paid full price for a physical game in years let alone a digital game. This isn't how you attract buyers to a dying genre.

That won't be possible until the 4th when it finally gets released on the PS4... I am still pissed it won't actually release until 9pm EST on Steam on the 3rd...

yakulto

Neo Member
Really, really want to pull the trigger on this, but just can't bring myself to drop $60 on a digital copy.

Have pre-ordered the Vita physical version, and hopefully in time we'll see a PS4 disc release, and if not at least a discount on PSN.

Teknoman

Lyrical stage themes sounded whack in the trailer, but it really works well for stage 1 and the progression of the stage.

Hey so is MP in AC mode or AC mode in general better the bigger the TV is? Just wondering since im still waffling between PC and PS4.

mrlion

Double Monitor Darius greatness?

Sign me up. I haven't played many Darius games but I love...love Darius Twin to death. One of my favorite games of all time.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Really, really want to pull the trigger on this, but just can't bring myself to drop $60 on a digital copy.

Have pre-ordered the Vita physical version, and hopefully in time we'll see a PS4 disc release, and if not at least a discount on PSN.
Doing the same. Buying Vita physical version and will buy again on PS4 if it receives a retail copy.

Momentary

Banned
Man... Finally decided to try out AC by going the top route and If this is easy, I don't know if I'll ever be ready for hard. The main thing that I really wanted to bring up about this is that soundtrack for the last stage before fighting the purple centipede. Holy hell, the way it kicks into gear once the boss shows up is damn amazing. How many tracks are in this game. I swear I hear a new song every time I try out more stuff. It's like AC and CS mode have their own tracks. I love it.

Bought the game to support th devs seems a bit steep but if it offers value for money I don't mind also I like shmups and loved g Darius back in the day. Also Zuntata is almost always amazing

@MUWANdo

Banned
Man... Finally decided to try out AC by going the top route and If this is easy, I don't know if I'll ever be ready for hard. The main thing that I really wanted to bring up about this is that soundtrack for the last stage before fighting the purple centipede. Holy hell, the way it kicks into gear once the boss shows up is damn amazing. How many tracks are in this game. I swear I hear a new song every time I try out more stuff. It's like AC and CS mode have their own tracks. I love it.

The PSP game had a fairly lengthy soundtrack to begin with and Zuntata continued writing new music for each new version of the game--AC, SP, AC EX and CS--so there's around 60 tracks all up, not including arranges or tracks ripped directly from older games.

gunstarhero

$60 is WELL worth the price of admission for this game. The amount of content it has in unmatched by anything in the genre - by a mile long space lobster!

Seriously - I know the price is daunting to some of you because it's digital only, but the individual online cabinets, various modes, and number of levels, ships and music show WHY it's $60. You're paying for content and depth.

It's a big fish. With disappointing font choices.

I'm disappointed by this game after playing it for a bit. The game just doesn't seem worth it for $60 and wish I had just waited. The screen IS TINY I can't make out any of the text because they had to shrink the picture to fit it in one screen versus three in the arcade. I know it was the only way but you only get about 40% of the screen! Everything is small and the gameplay none of it is explained in the game like what the different coloured powerups do.

robot

I'm disappointed by this game after playing it for a bit. The game just doesn't seem worth it for $60 and wish I had just waited. The screen IS TINY I can't make out any of the text because they had to shrink the picture to fit it in one screen versus three in the arcade. I know it was the only way but you only get about 40% of the screen! Everything is small and the gameplay none of it is explained in the game like what the different coloured powerups do.

Try CS mode - it's specific to the home versions and not scaled down from 3 screens. It's much better imo.

Outrun

The thing about those cards is that the text is part of the graphic. Taito would have to design new cards rather than change just the text.

OH! If you don't start a game while in AC mode, a demo will play that shows a few hints (in English!).

Would not the translation to be expected for a $60 title?

Only just found out about the price (on Steam). Pretty disappointing, I was expecting a price similar to Mushihimesama's. Guess I'll wont be playing this anytime soon, on the wishlist it goes.

grendelrt

Can anyone confirm that the super wide mode works on 1 screen on the steam version?

Edit: Crap it doesnt unlock for another 12 hours in NA

Tain

I tend to lean toward physical versions when possible, but not on PC. And with this game more than almost any other I can think of recently, the benefits exclusive to the PC version are impossible to pass up.

Can anyone confirm that the super wide mode works on 1 screen on the steam version?

Edit: Crap it doesnt unlock for another 12 hours in NA

Yeah I know right?! Who the fuck says "Release on the 3rd" only to have it come out at night around 9pm EST?! I have to sleep dammit!

yyr

The screen IS TINY I can't make out any of the text because they had to shrink the picture to fit it in one screen versus three in the arcade.

It's actually two screens, not three.

The Steam version allows you to use two monitors to duplicate the arcade experience.

Was thoroughly shocked to see the $60 price tag when I saw the PS4 version in the store last night. Was ready to insta-buy all 3 versions...now, like many others here, I'm on the fence. I've paid more than $60 for games before, but never for a digital-only game. I probably would pay up to $80 for a physical copy, but digital only...I just don't know.

The Steam version at $40 is much easier to swallow because of the multi-monitor support (I plan to make use of it). I'm glad it'll be discounted this week. As for the Vita version, since the physical copy seems similarly priced to the digital copy, I'll import.

I hope that the publisher is still reading these. A physical release on PS4, even at a bit more than $60, would change a lot of minds.

grendelrt

AC mode works letterboxed on one monitor or two.

or one super big VR display for that matter with the right software

Awesome thanks for the confirmation, I want to try it on a projector so I am hoping the letterboxing doesnt matter as much if the screen is big enough.

It's actually two screens, not three.

The Steam version allows you to use two monitors to duplicate the arcade experience.

Was thoroughly shocked to see the $60 price tag when I saw the PS4 version in the store last night. Was ready to insta-buy all 3 versions...now, like many others here, I'm on the fence. I've paid more than $60 for games before, but never for a digital-only game. I probably would pay up to $80 for a physical copy, but digital only...I just don't know.

The Steam version at $40 is much easier to swallow because of the multi-monitor support (I plan to make use of it). I'm glad it'll be discounted this week. As for the Vita version, since the physical copy seems similarly priced to the digital copy, I'll import.

I hope that the publisher is still reading these. A physical release on PS4, even at a bit more than $60, would change a lot of minds.

Degica is a small company that only does digital releases, so they'd need to partner with a second publisher in order to make a physical release happen.

Boogdud

I seriously almost bought the game due to that alone! Move over Sins of the Father.

It takes all kinds I suppose.

I really wish there was an instrumental version of the song for that level, because the vocals sound like a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Atolm

I've been watching videos. This looks like a significant improvement from what I played on PSP years ago and Zuntata is as good as ever it seems. But at 60$ I'll have to pass for now, I didn't pay that even for Witcher 3. I guess they want those entusiast sales first.

chronosic

I'd be all over this if there was a physical release. I can't justify dropping 60 bucks on a digital game. Guess I'll wait for a sale.

Wonko_C

From what I can gather it seems to be a brand new entry in the Darius series, which includes a port of the arcade game released in 2010, and lots and lots more. I don't have problems with the price, I was honestly more surprised when Transformers Devastation was priced full retail, since Leged of Korra wasn't and they're similar budget releases with nearly the same lenght.

Still, I'll have to wait to buy it since I am broke ATM. >_<

Momentary

Banned
Is the Murakumo not in the arcade version of the game? It seems to only pop up on CS mode.

Here's the arcade user manual which goes over all the game basics (touches briefly on power ups, scoring, counter bursting, ship differences etc) which could be useful to some. All of it still applies to the home port.

This actually helped a whole hell of a lot and I feel it should be included with the digital version of the game. Thanks for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom