• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Matter (Steam, $15) ABRUPTLY ends 4 hours in b/c the devs ran out of time/money.

FluxWaveZ

I seem to recall Limbo being like 2 hours for $10 and no one complained, so I'm not seeing the big deal with 4 hours for $15. Gone Home was $20 for like 4 hours as well.

I'm fairly sure the issue here is the nature of the ending and not so much the length of the game.

$15 for a 6-8 hour game is still pretty reasonable. This is one of the risks of backing Kickstarter projects. Kickstarter is a good option when so many publishers only care about profits.

Not to change the subject or to dismiss what appears to be an unfinished game but we also see many big blockbuster games that have DLC to be purchased on day 1.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
I seem to recall Limbo being like 2 hours for $10 and no one complained, so I'm not seeing the big deal with 4 hours for $15. Gone Home was $20 for like 4 hours as well.

Yep, but at least these games did not end in the middle of a sentence .... open door switch to txt and main menu... damn!

kidko

$15 for a 6-8 hour game is still pretty reasonable. This is one of the risks of backing Kickstarter projects. Kickstarter is a good option when so many publishers only care about profits.

Not to change the subject or to dismiss what appears to be an unfinished game but we also see many big blockbuster games that have DLC to be purchased on day 1.

Kickstarter has nothing to do with this extremely bad ending to their game.

Reallink

I'm fairly sure the issue here is the nature of the ending and not so much the length of the game.

Well the OP seems to put the focus on the $$$:Time value. If what's there is good (maybe it sucks, haven't played it), I don't see the problem relative to some other popular indies.

Its not the length thats the problem.

EDIT Seriously WTF is up with people bitching about KS in this thread?

FluxWaveZ

Well the OP seems to put the focus on the $$$:Time value. If what's there is good (maybe it sucks, haven't played it), I don't see the problem.

If that's the main issue people were having with this, I wouldn't see the problem either given that $15 for around 6 hours sounds just fine considering modern games.

Foffy

Banned
I don't mind short games. I do mind unfinished games.

This, my friends, is a clearly unfinished game. Don't support it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
If that's the main issue people were having with this, I wouldn't see the problem either given that $15 for around 6 hours sounds just fine considering modern games.

Time isn't really my issue with the game as I noted at the end of the OP. Also there's this:

I saw this on the Steam new releases when I went to buy the Stanley Parable, it looks really interesting and reminded me of Shadow Complex (which I really miss since I sold my 360, come on port it to PC already...) but fortunately I checked the community hub and saw this.

It's just plain insulting that the developers keep insisting the game is complete. This is NOT a complete game, not in terms of story OR gameplay. Obviously the story is incomplete, that much is clear from the completely random and out of left field ending. However, I also hear that there are numerous gameplay elements that were introduced throughout the game's development and even playable during the TUTORIAL that are never used in the game. It actually introduces you to cool stuff and builds you up to use it later but that never comes!

It's pretty infuriating as this is exactly the sort of indie game I'd love to get behind but I can't support them shoving out an unfinished product with absolutely no warning that it doesn't have a proper conclusion or that the gameplay is never fully realized. It's deceitful and an obvious cash grab to recoup the money they had already put into it without feeling obligated to continue the game farther as they would if it was on Early Access.

Anyone have recommendations for other similar Metroidvania-like games to play instead?

Cels

No, the full story is indeed not complete yet because originally we wanted a longer game (12-16 hours) but couldnt finish it completely due to time and money (and Kickstarter failing).

The current Dark Matter on Steam is a complete game in itself though.

lol wat

Wow, they didn't even try. They could've just made the screen shake a lot in the last level and added some countdown noises, then you just run to a door labeled "Escape Pod."

BiggNife

Well the OP seems to put the focus on the $$$:Time value. If what's there is good (maybe it sucks, haven't played it), I don't see the problem.

Regardless of the OP's opinion, I think the majority of people who are annoyed in this thread are bothered by the fact that the game literally doesn't have an ending, not the length.

I have no problem paying money for short games. Brothers is one of my favorite games of the year. I'm loving the Stanley Parable right now and you can play through that game in twenty minutes.

But I feel like a game not having any conclusion is inexcusable. How can the player have any sense of satisfaction if nothing is resolved? I'm sorry the devs couldn't get kickstarter money but I don't think that gives them a pass at selling an unfinished game for $15 and apparently having zero intention to finish it.

You'd think Valve could dedicate one person to do some quality control on this shit.

I really hate how much they let their consumers do all their work for them sometimes.

There's no fraud here though, it's just a terrible way to end the game.

To be honest, this kind of TMZ style tabloidization of a relatively non-issue is slightly embarrassing to me.

There is no fraud. But, this isn't a non-issue either. This isn't a terrible ending, there is literally no ending. They put a piece of text behind a random door to tell you you were done playing.

This is an obviously, and admittedly, incomplete game being put out as a full release. People who paid $15 for have the right to bitch about it, and those of us who didn't want to know about this kind of shit before we do.

This game could go on sale for $1 and I wouldn't buy it now.

Well the OP seems to put the focus on the $$$:Time value. If what's there is good (maybe it sucks, haven't played it), I don't see the problem relative to some other popular indies.

The only issue with the length is that the developer is still saying it's a 6-8 hour game, while someone has 100% it in 4.5. Obviously peoples mileage may vary, but if it's really that short, then this is just another example of the developer being a little shady. But, still not the main issue.

The first half of Dark Souls (I'll spoiler it anyway but there's not really anything spoilery);
you've rang the first bell, you are on your journey to Blighttown and have just finished the Lower Undead Parish. You go to the locked door and you open it and enter The Depths. You free the Pyromancer and
go through the hole in the wall when, suddenly, the game cuts to black and you're returned to the main menu; everything unresolved, the game clearly not planned to end at this point. My intepretation is not that this is an issue of poor value for money (although that can certainly factor in), it's that it is as if the full game was brought to the guillotine, a slice removed, and then sold as a 'complete game'. It's the finished portion of an unfinished product. If it was the 'first episode' or something similar I could understand, but it isn't, it's being sold as a complete game but from what I can see it doesn't have a beginning, middle and end, it has a beginning and half of a middle at which point you're returned to the menu.

Pyronite

qXMdXqz.jpg

You win the internet for today.

Kickstarter has nothing to do with this extremely bad ending to their game.

Hello, just to answer all these questions.

No, the full story is indeed not complete yet because originally we wanted a longer game (12-16 hours) but couldnt finish it completely due to time and money (and Kickstarter failing). So, we choose to go with a 6-8 hour game instead to bring something out to the world and show everyone the world of Dark Matter. We are going to change the "to be continued" text to something else, to make sure this will be the end of the game as is in a clear msg to everyone...

Sounds to me that yes, the Kickstarter failing did have an impact of how they handled the ending. Looks like it was either release the game as is or not release it at all. The money from Steam sales could mean they will be able to change the ending now.

Sounds to me that yes, the Kickstarter failing did have an impact of how they handled the ending. Looks like it was either release the game as is or not release it at all. The money from Steam sales could mean they will be able to change the ending now.

I just don't get why the failed crowd funding resulted in this. Like, they couldn't go one more week to put in a boss fight at least. A shitty abrupt ending would have been better than what they gave, which is literally nothing.

If I had gif making skills, an NES Metroid gif where Samus just runs through a normal door and the game ends would be hilarious.

Seanspeed

Banned
No County For Old Men is a complete story that ends on a slightly ambiguous emotional note. I don't see the connection.
Slightly ambiguous?

Just plain stops out of nowhere. It is not complete. It has no ending at all. Just like this, apparently.

-PXG-

This is pretty fucked up. There is no fair warning or indication at all that the game is incomplete. Thank goodness for the The community hub.

kidko

Hello, just to answer all these questions.

No, the full story is indeed not complete yet because originally we wanted a longer game (12-16 hours) but couldnt finish it completely due to time and money (and Kickstarter failing). So, we choose to go with a 6-8 hour game instead to bring something out to the world and show everyone the world of Dark Matter. We are going to change the "to be continued" text to something else, to make sure this will be the end of the game as is in a clear msg to everyone...

Yes, we all read that part. Doesn't explain your comment "This is one of the risks of backing Kickstarter projects."

If people actually did back it, they likely would not have released the game in this unfinished state.

The way I see it, the system worked. People sensed a dud, didn't back the game, turns out it's a dud.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.

I'm pretty sure people are just upset over the ending not necessarily the length.

Yes, we all read that part. Doesn't explain your comment "This is one of the risks of backing Kickstarter projects."

If people actually did back it, they likely would not have released the game in this unfinished state.

The way I see it, the system worked. People sensed a dud, didn't back the game, turns out it's a dud.

There is nothing to explain. I am guessing he (like a handful of others) saw the word Kickstarter and went all in. Now trying desperately to find a shred of logic to make their post seem rational.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
That gameplay looked neat, lol. They should put it on sale, and they shouldn't have decieved people.. Tho, I bought WarZ for me and a friend and spent some in game money, so there are worse ways to lose money on Steam.

Dambrosi

Banned
hWmSqNJ.jpg

IN GAME FORM
No, that would be DMC: Donte May Cry.
If Capcpom have any sense left.

This sounds more like if Final Fantasy VI were missing everything after
Kefka destroys the world
, and just had a black screen with the words "Don't worry, dear player - after a short while, the heroes band together again and kick the bad guy's ass, everyone lives happily ever after, exploar moar, THE END". That's how stupid this is.

Myriadis

Still wonder who those people are... hated that movie with a vengeance!

Movies from the Coen Brothers are always love it or hate it - I love that movie and think that Burn after Reading is an awful movie.

Anyway.
I personally think that they clearly should've put at least a bit of effort on the ending. It still would've been pretty bad, given that there are several gameplay mechanics missing as far as I heard, but at least it would soften the blow somewhat.

So you're saying nobody invested money towards this Kickstarter project?

Corto

For a moment I thought Fox318 post "Never backup a Kickstarter." regarding this game was a great sarcastic retort to all the people that say Kickstarter is a sham as this game was not funded through it.

Corto

Yet people love No Country for Old Men.

That and Sopranos finale as another example are not comparable to this. Those endings had artistic intent. The authors wanted to end their work that way. This is an unfinished work that the authors themselves admitted that they had to end it like that due to financial constraints and with a facetious "to be continued" that they are going to redact.

Why are people focused on Kickstarter when it really has nothing to do with any part of this?

Some people just seem to hate Kickstarter with a passion and take every chance to try to prove that it's the worst crime to gaming ever conceived. Those same people also tend to not understand how Kickstarter even works (namely, that if a project fails they get NO MONEY from anyone).

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
You'd think Valve could dedicate one person to do some quality control on this shit.

I really hate how much they let their consumers do all their work for them sometimes.

They used to, and everybody fucking hated it because not enough games were getting on Steam. Then they said "fine you do it and we'll take the best few" and everybody fucking hated it because there weren't enough games getting on Steam. Then they started adding way more games, and now people go "WELL WHY DON'T THEY HAVE SOMEBODY LOOKING AT THESE? WHERE'S THE QUALITY CONTROL?"

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Because I read the caption from the developers response in the OP

I guess it's confusing to me because Kickstarter isn't mentioned in the thread title, so presumably people read through the actual first post. The only mention of Kickstarter is "Kickstarter failing", which should provide all necessary information.

Some people just seem to hate Kickstarter with a passion and take every chance to try to prove that it's the worst crime to gaming ever conceived. Those same people also tend to not understand how Kickstarter even works (namely, that if a project fails they get NO MONEY from anyone).

I totally get the fear of what Kickstarter represents and totally respect peoples' decisions to not support it. It just seems like an odd thing to get hung up on. Really, the only people who lose in a crowdfunding situation are uninformed backers that shouldn't be participating in the first place.

Top Bottom