• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin announced for PS4/XBO/PC - April 2015

And soul memory was put into place to stop ganking of newbies. In DS, you could very easily run through the game without levelling, and spend all your souls on maxing out your gear and getting the endgame magic. Then you could return to the starting zones at level 10 or so and destroy everyone. Soul memory removed this, and added other problems. But it's still not something they actually put in to destroy the PVP game.
I don't think I've ever heard anyone defend Soul Memory before.

The thing is twinking was already dealt with by making invasion items consumables and making them annoying as hell to obtain until NG+ - we didn't need another bad mechanic thrown in there to fuck with co-op too. Did From include it to intentionally ruin their game's online community? No. But it's clear that they gave the repercussions all of 5 minutes of thought before pulling the trigger. Why do we need two bad solutions to a problem that was never a big deal anyway?

stupei

I beat the game dual wielding on PS3 just the one time, started a magic focused playthrough after that. But then the DLC started coming out and I told myself I'd wait until it was all out. Then the PS4 announcement.

So I think I'm going to do a strength focused build this time and I want to become a SunBro as early as possible. Any suggestions for the quickest path to joining? Anything I can skip to get there quicker? My memory of that part of the path is a little fuzzy, but it feels like it was annoyingly deep in.

Edit: I never hated the idea of Soul Memory, but it should have only impacted invasions, not co-op.

Does ayone that have the game have the trophies installed for it ? I think I have a strange bug :

Many shops sold the game early, so I got it his week end. But the trophies for the game were not installed, and do not appear in my trophy list.

I tried to jump from the first cliff to get the "welcome" trophy, I git the pop up and when I pressed the PS button, it said "error".

Is that normal ? Is this because the game is not out yet ?

Many thanks !

Anyone ?

Neoweee

I beat the game dual wielding on PS3 just the one time, started a magic focused playthrough after that. But then the DLC started coming out and I told myself I'd wait until it was all out. Then the PS4 announcement.

So I think I'm going to do a strength focused build this time and I want to become a SunBro as early as possible. Any suggestions for the quickest path to joining? Anything I can skip to get there quicker? My memory of that part of the path is a little fuzzy, but it feels like it was annoyingly deep in.

It's pretty easy to get there right away.

Step One:
Heide's, kill Dragonrider.
Step Two: Unlock
Copse, kill the Skeleton Lords.
Step Three: Sunbro

If you know what you're doing, that's like 90 minutes in.

Will Steam achievements unlock retroactively when you import a save from Dark Souls 2 (PC) into Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (PC)?

I finished Dark Souls 2 on PC but haven't done NG+ or any of the DLC yet. What should I do?

1. Import Dark Souls 2 save into Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin, then finish DLC with enhanced gameplay changes/graphics in DS2: SOTFS. Once done, start NG+ in DS2: SOTFS.

2. Finish DLC in original Dark Souls 2, then import save into DS2: SOTFS for NG+.

Kazuhira

Will Steam achievements unlock retroactively when you import a save from Dark Souls 2 (PC) into Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (PC)?

I finished Dark Souls 2 on PC but haven't done NG+ or any of the DLC yet. What should I do?

1. Import Dark Souls 2 save into Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin, then finish DLC with enhanced gameplay changes/graphics in DS2: SOTFS. Once done, start NG+ in DS2: SOTFS.

2. Finish DLC in original Dark Souls 2, then import save into DS2: SOTFS for NG+.
I think you can´t import you saves from the vanilla game into the SOTFS version.

Me too, I don't care. Lightning SHOULD be overpowered.

If you're a sunbro and helped out 50 people or whatever in co-op, you should have a super awesome weapon.

This warms my heart.

If I recall, wasn't the amount of certain lighting spells you could carry also part of that nerf? I remember loading in one day and being confused as to why I didn't have 32 bolt or something ridiculous in my spell slot lol. Regardless, as I said, I'm doing it again, loved helping folks beat bosses. Just need a Dragon Chime and full Heide Knight set again to complete the look...wish there was a clean, pristine version of that armor. Everyone knows looks trump everything.

Meia

I don't think I've ever heard anyone defend Soul Memory before.

The thing is twinking was already dealt with by making invasion items consumables and making them annoying as hell to obtain until NG+ - we didn't need another bad mechanic thrown in there to fuck with co-op too. Did From include it to intentionally ruin their game's online community? No. But it's clear that they gave the repercussions all of 5 minutes of thought before pulling the trigger. Why do we need two bad solutions to a problem that was never a big deal anyway?

You're right. The problem is, the whole thing started when they made it so you couldn't stop invasions anymore by staying undead. By forcing PVP on, well, everyone, they felt they needed to put a system in place to make it a bit more fair and not have god-mode characters invade newbies. Thus, the Soul Memory system was born. /shrug

*wonders if people complaining about Soul Memory are the same that told people to "suck it up" when everyone found out about how invasions worked in DS2*

Thinking of getting this for PS4 instead of PC, despite owning it on PC w/DLC (I'd get the discount). Mostly for larger community and less hackers. Can't believe I'm triple dipping on this game. Proof positive that I love it despite how often I complain about it.

You're right. The problem is, the whole thing started when they made it so you couldn't stop invasions anymore by staying undead. By forcing PVP on, well, everyone, they felt they needed to put a system in place to make it a bit more fair and not have god-mode characters invade newbies. Thus, the Soul Memory system was born. /shrug

*wonders if people complaining about Soul Memory are the same that told people to "suck it up" when everyone found out about how invasions worked in DS2*

You know I totally forgot about that. Literally, no hyperbole, after 200+ hours of play, I forgot you could be invaded while undead in DS2 because I was only ever invaded twice by red-eye users during my entire time with the game. I got invaded in the Bell Towers plenty, but actual invasions outside of those areas were pretty much a non-feature.

They went so overboard trying to make up for the bolded that they introduced more problems than they solved. The story of DS2.

The saves between the original DS2 and SOTFS aren't able to be carried over unless you get the DX9 version of SOTFS for PC instead which doesn't have any of the new content and updates and is just a patch for existing PC version of DS2.

If you want the DX11 version with the new changes and whatnot you will have to spend the $20 to upgrade (granted you have all the DLCs) and have to start over completely.

Thinking of getting this for PS4 instead of PC, despite owning it on PC w/DLC (I'd get the discount). Mostly for larger community and less hackers. Can't believe I'm triple dipping on this game. Proof positive that I love it despite how often I complain about it.

I am in the same boat. Now that I can't use GeDoSaTo on since it is in DX11 the PS4 seems like a logical choice since I game in 1080p on my PC right now. For the performance being roughly the same and I am sure the IQ won't be drastically changed I don't see why I should upgrade on my PC besides the $40 price difference (well more like $15 because of GCU + gift cards). Unless the PC version gets some super secret texture pack we don't know about.

So why even have the Way of the Blue covenant? I feel like the whole point of that thing was to protect people from ganks/twinks in lower areas.

It's given to you at such an early point in the game, yet the game inhibited invasions until late game and by then people surely ditched the ring or forgot about the covenant entirely.

As a guy who almost always plays blue, it was really sad to see such a feature go to waste. I never got to NG+ though so maybe people do use it then, but I don't see why they would.

In DS1 I was one of those guys who would camp twink invaders as a blue guy. It felt great taking them out.

Vitor711

For those who got a taste of magic in BloodBorne and are thinking of getting this remaster - Considering all the sh*t that DkS2 gets about being 'B Team', they actually did a lot of stuff better.

1) Showing a picture next to a warp zone's name (we have three on the first tombstone in BB with variations of church/cathedral etc. Shit is confusing yo).
2) Allowing for a respec - it's an RPG, you never know what you like until you've been using it for ages. I wasted some points in arcane just to try the spells I got and was totally unimpressed. Regret that a bit now.
3) Bosses may not have been as memorable as BB or DkS1 but at least they always used their entire move-set. Massive AI glitches in this game for some.
4) More variety in the environments (although nowhere near as intricately designed).
5) Matchmaking that actually worked properly on launch, the first for a Souls game (and only one so far).
6) Easier comparison of stats in vendors between your equipped armour/weapons.
7) DkS2 didn't force you into NG+ straight away in case you wanted to go back and finish up odds and ends.
8) Vastly more variety in equipment/builds. Just like every Souls game before it, you can dress up as almost every boss/mob enemy you meet.

Dark Souls 2 got a rebalance patch and an added NPC

Scholar of the First Sin (which is also what they called the patch, however confusing that may be) features the following:

• All DLC included
  • Enemy placement has been changed
  • Item placement has been changed
  • You can summon/get invaded by more phantoms
  • Slight graphical tweaks
  • NPC added (also in old-gen patch)
  • Weapon/Armour Rebalance (also in old-gen patch)
  • Added or changed lore in item descriptions (also in old-gen patch)

The patch was released a couple months ago, the thing that's hitting Steam tonight/tomorrow is the new edition of the game.

To add on the above:

• 1 April, North America PC (steam at 3:00 PM PST)
  • 2 April, Australia/NZ PS3, PS4, 360, XB1
  • 2 April, Europe PS3, PS4, 360, XB1
  • 2 April, Europe PC
  • 7 April, North America PS3, PS4, 360, XB1
  • 9 April, Japan PS4 & XB1
Sources:
See this official announcement with useful info.

Or this megathread on /r/darksouls2
Thank you.

So why even have the Way of the Blue covenant? I feel like the whole point of that thing was to protect people from ganks/twinks in lower areas.

It's given to you at such an early point in the game, yet the game inhibited invasions until late game and by then people surely ditched the ring or forgot about the covenant entirely.

As a guy who almost always plays blue, it was really sad to see such a feature go to waste. I never got to NG+ though so maybe people do use it then, but I don't see why they would.

Another great example of From's myriad attempts at counter-balancing invasions that dried up completely since no one invaded so no one accrued sin. The entire covenant system except for Bell and Rat Bros fell apart when From decided that no one should be invading anyone else.

Honestly there are echos of this in BB, with only being able to invade in areas with sinister bells. Makes me wonder if From is just phasing out the invasion mechanic as a cornerstone of the series.

HeelPower

Do people forget DS2 was atrocious on the PS3 ?

The framerate was consistently sub 30 ,loading was very long,effects are worse,enemy animations constantly get cut due to bad LOD.

The game will probably be buttery smooth 60 fps with much better effects and sharper textures.

It makes a huge difference for the game.I tried on PC once and it was a much better game.

For those who got a taste of magic in BloodBorne and are thinking of getting this remaster - Considering all the sh*t that DkS2 gets about being 'B Team', they actually did a lot of stuff better.

2) Allowing for a respec - it's an RPG, you never know what you like until you've been using it for ages. I wasted some points in arcane just to try the spells I got and was totally unimpressed. Regret that a bit now.

Arcane scaled quite well with Ludwig's Holy Blade as it has A scaling. Blades of Mercy and Burial Blade also have good scaling with Arcane as well I believe. Molotovs are also increased in damage by Arcane as well as the Flamesprayer. Been working pretty decently for me at least but to each their own.

SteveTR

I can't wait for Scholar of the First Sin. I loved the original Dark Souls 2, so this will hopefully be even better.

Can't wait to die a million times.

fwpx

is this a totally separate release on PC? Even if i own the original game and the DLC? Do we know what it costs?

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
is this a totally separate release on PC? Even if i own the original game and the DLC? Do we know what it costs?

Yes, it's a separate release from the patched original game. See below.

How much will Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin cost?

Please note - These details are for North and South American territories.
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin will be $59.99 on Xbox One and PS4. If you are purchasing on Steam, you can check the details below:

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (DirectX9): $39.99
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (DirectX11): $49.99
DirectX11 Upgrade price for existing owners of Dark Souls II on Steam: $29.99
DirectX11 Upgrade price for existing owners of Dark Souls II and all DLC on Steam: $19.99

Source. No final price revealed for EU yet afaik..guess we'll see when it's out on steam?

ironcreed

Banned
Does this game have any maps or we're lost as in BB?

43635-charlton-heston-laughing-gif-iOGX.gif

No. You play the game until everything just clicks after awhile and you know the areas. it's beautiful.

pixlexic

Banned
So after bloodborne I decided to start a new game in ds2 in Pc.

I was quite surprised at how many people are playing and how easy it is to summon for any boss.

Vitor711

Arcane scaled quite well with Ludwig's Holy Blade as it has A scaling. Blades of Mercy and Burial Blade also have good scaling with Arcane as well I believe. Molotovs are also increased in damage by Arcane as well as the Flamesprayer. Been working pretty decently for me at least but to each their own.

Yeah, but that's a much different beast (pun intended) than the super diverse all magic builds in DeS, DkS and DkS2. Everything you just described is just augmenting melee options. In DkS2, you could go full on caster. No such option in BB.

Some guys even did damage tests against the crows. Not a single spell will one-shot them, even with super high arcane stats, whereas a fully levelled weapon with decent scaling will. And the spells can cost up to 10 bullets each to use. It's a big investment for little payoff.

stupei

It's pretty easy to get there right away.

Step One:
Heide's, kill Dragonrider.
Step Two: Unlock
Copse, kill the Skeleton Lords.
Step Three: Sunbro

If you know what you're doing, that's like 90 minutes in.

Shit, yeah. I don't know how I blanked on
Licia being there so early
. I think I even started to do precisely this on my magic user. Thank you.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves

I was quite surprised at how many people are playing and how easy it is to summon for any boss.

Yes, I'm also expecting an active playerbase for the DX11 release. Most people will probably migrate, but not all.

Currently, there's 5,860 people playing DS2(steamstats), but the online matchmaking has been greatly improved in a previous patch so I'm pretty sure that's part of the reason as to why it's easy to summon or be summoned now.

I'll go sunbro asap on Thursday so shout in the OT if you decide to get SOTFS and need help.

PC versions sold quite well and both DS1/2 have quite the legs on PC so it's no surprise. I never had an issue summoning with DS2 on PC

LOL no.
Learning the environment without a map is a "gameplay feature" of Souls games.

By the end of them, you know the environments better than some places you've been in real life...

So true. I could probably sketch out pretty decent maps of all three games from memory. It just gets a little tricky figuring out how everything folds together around Undead Burg.

Top Bottom