• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

Zeth said:
Any point in pumping dex AND str? I'm level 46 with 34 dex but there are many more cool STR weapons, would it be dumb to put 10 or so points in STR to get to 26?
Only if you want to be versatile enough to handle really heavy weapons and also lighter, faster weapons that scale well with dexterity. That's how I'm doing it.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Also can someone post a Required Soul Level guide on the first page?
Early on lighting bonfires because you "think" you have a level up is a really dangerous proposition! Does one exist?

Orayn

EasyMode said:
Is scaling just broken for Strength and Dexterity? Or is it also nerfed for Intelligence and Faith?
I was thinking of making a spellsword character.
I think Magic/Faith scaling is a much better deal because you want to be pumping those stats anyway for your spells and miracles. It's us poor non-magical types who are getting shafted by the way scaling works. :(

Zeth

Xanathus said:
Yeah just go with either fire or lightning. Scaling is completely broken.

Only put your Dex and Str to the minimum requirements for using a particular weapon. You could spread them across Dex and Str but just know that you'll be wasting points.
My weapons scale with dex. Doesn't that make greater dex desirable? Or I've wasted a lot of points because I know Laito doesn't require 35 dex.

Orayn said:
I think Magic/Faith scaling is a much better deal because you want to be pumping those stats anyway for your spells and miracles. It's us poor non-magical types who are getting shafted by the way scaling works. :(
Indeed, I miss Quality weapons. :(

Herla

The game has arrived but I can't play it yet, so I have a question about Covenants:
Is it better to start the game with a specific covenant in mind (because of different pvp mechanics) or just play and see what happens at the cost of limiting pvp encounters until much later in the game?

I don't know how they influence the story (if at all), so I was thinking of just going for the one that seems the most fun for my playstyle...

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Orayn said:

Does pyromancers fire scale to anything specific?
Not sure what to pump into him

Interfectum

right now i have the drake sword but for future reference what weapon should i be looking out for to upgrade (+10, +5 lightning) for a wanderer dex build? do people usually stick with upgrading the scimitar?

Xanathus

Zeth said:
My weapons scale with dex. Doesn't that make greater dex desirable? Or I've wasted a lot of points because I know Laito doesn't require 35 dex.
The issue with stat scaling in the game is that in order for a max-level stat-scaled weapon to have comparable damage with a max-level fixed-damage elemental weapon, you would need to sink in a ton of points in the stat. I don't know the numbers off the top of my head but it's something like 60-70 stat points with a weapon that has A scaling *just* to make it have the same damage as a +10 lightning/fire weapon.

Orayn

Spanish Wrath said:
No lo aguanto

I really don't know how this message looks like in english, I guess it's "I can't stand it" or something like that.
Yeah, we have it as "I can't take this..."
I take it to mean "This area/boss sucks. Please upvote this message so I get some Estus flasks."

Zeth

Interfectum said:
right now i have the drake sword but for future reference what weapon should i be looking out for to upgrade (+10, +5 lightning) for a wanderer dex build? do people usually stick with upgrading the scimitar?
Winged spear is great and found very close to fire link. Laito is a katana you can find in blight town. Uchigatana and falchion are good too forget where they are.

Carbonox

The_Darkest_Red said:
The weapons get a huge bonus from lightning damage and most enemies don't have much resistance to it.

And all I'd need is the lightning stone that I have? Would sticking it on my battle axe (my main) be a good idea or shall I just leave it?

What's a solid medium shield I should potentially upgrade?

I have the following:
knight, hollow, spider, crest (the one with high magic resitance) and grass (stamina gains)

sixghost

Xanathus said:
The issue with stat scaling in the game is that in order for a max-level stat-scaled weapon to have comparable damage with a max-level fixed-damage elemental weapon, you would need to sink in a ton of points in the stat. I don't know the numbers off the top of my head but it's something like 60-70 stat points with a weapon that has A scaling *just* to make it have the same damage as a +10 lightning/fire weapon.
If that's true, my build seems like a total disaster now. So is there no real reason to have 30+ DEX as a thief?

Zeth

Xanathus said:
Damn I'll have to look into this. Kinda sucks since I was gonna go dex. Besides 20 vit and 16 STR, I have 35ish dex. Guess it can't hurt to start boosting STR for more weapon vairiety.

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
And all I'd need is the lightning stone that I have? Would sticking it on my battle axe (my main) be a good idea or shall I just leave it?
You need to get it to a Battle Axe +10 first, then you have to take it to the blacksmith in
Anor Londo
since he's the one who does those upgrades. Then you would upgrade the Lightning Battle Axe +1 to a +4 by using
Chunks of Titanite
and then to a +5 with
Pure Titanite.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
duckroll said:
Is it possible to kill the boss with the starting weapon?
Yes, you get strong armor if you do it.

A little crow dropped a stone and summoned me to the thread for this purpose.

The spoiler bit is wrong.
You get the Demon's Great Hammer. Nice and all, but it requires a massive amount of Strength to wield. I wouldn't bother until NG+ where you can do it fully equipped and in like 5 minutes rather than 30+.

And yes, I did kill him. Bare hands. I kind of wish I hadn't wasted my time.

Xanathus

sixghost said:
If that's true, my build seems like a total disaster now. So is there no real reason to have 30+ DEX as a thief?
Your stat allocation doesn't really matter if it's your first run through, just keep playing and keep it in mind for your next character. Stat builds don't actually matter a lot in terms of PvE because what equipment and weapons you're using matters far more. Only thing to know is that you should make a +10 elemental weapon for EZ mode.

Xanathus said:
Your stat allocation doesn't really matter if it's your first run through, just keep playing and keep it in mind for your next character. Stat builds don't actually matter a lot in terms of PvE because what equipment and weapons you're using matters far more. Only thing to know is that you should make a +10 elemental weapon for EZ mode.
Thunder weapons only upgrade to +5, right? Or is the chart wrong?

Xanathus said:
Yeah just go with either fire or lightning. Scaling is completely broken.

Only put your Dex and Str to the minimum requirements for using a particular weapon. You could spread them across Dex and Str but just know that you'll be wasting points.

That is really disappointing to hear. I've been focusing on Dex this whole time. Ugh.

Raw64life

I could really use some weapon upgrade advice. I'm at SL53 and just recently beat
Ornstein & Smough
and I've been using the Drake Sword basically the entire game. I haven't touched the upgrade system at all mostly because I'm afraid of using them on something that ends up being shit or I end up finding a much better weapon shortly afterward.

Xanathus

The_Darkest_Red said:
Thunder weapons only upgrade to +5, right? Or is the chart wrong?
Yeah it's correct, but I think that a +5 thunder and a +10 fire weapon has about the same damage. Might be different depending on weapon.

anddo0

Question about Geckos. I got screwed by these guys in Demon's Souls.

Are weapon upgrades heavily dependent on them again?

JoeFenix

A bit of a different question but did anyone get their strategy guide in Canada? This thing is fucking impossible to get, I pre-ordered on Amazon.ca on the first day it was put up for listing but now it looks like they are not going to get it.

What the fuck is up with Future Press guides are their distribution?.... So frustrated right now!

Xanathus

anddo0 said:

Nope, no more pure stones. Only two types of stones for each upgrade path, and they all can be farmed elsewhere.

Raw64life said:
I could really use some weapon upgrade advice. I'm at SL53 and just recently beat
Ornstein & Smough
and I've been using the Drake Sword basically the entire game. I haven't touched the upgrade system at all mostly because I'm afraid of using them on something that ends up being shit or I end up finding a much better weapon shortly afterward.
Dude... at SL 53 it wouldn't take much of an investment to make something better than the Drake Sword. That thing doesn't even have stat bonuses! Just pick a standard weapon you like and upgrade it to +10 for a start, you can do that with items that are relatively easy to find and/or buy.

Really it comes down to what you are more invested in between strength and dexterity. If strength then I would suggest a halberd or a greatsword, if dexterity than some type of katana like the Liato.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
anddo0 said:

Not as much as far as I can tell, and they don't disappear forever this time. They'll keep randomly appearing at their spawn points until you kill them. Once you've killed them, they seem to be gone though, so you still can't farm them really.

vpance

I believe once you get past 50 or 60 for str or dex then it'll begin to pull ahead in dmg? According to what I read. I think I'm just going to keep playing without worry about absolute efficient maxing. Everyone running around with lightning great swords is kind of boring.

Carbonox

The_Darkest_Red said:
You need to get it to a Battle Axe +10 first, then you have to take it to the blacksmith in
Anor Londo
since he's the one who does those upgrades. Then you would upgrade the Lightning Battle Axe +1 to a +4 by using
Chunks of Titanite
and then to a +5 with
Pure Titanite.

Ah, so that's what this lightning stone is for? To have the blacksmith use to upgrade the battle axe to a lightning battle axe? Thanks.

Sorry for the questions, I'm such a noob to the Souls franchise.

I guess I'm going to farm at
Darkroots Garden
and build up a good amount of materials to upgrade with, plus level up some more. I seriously don't think I'm ready for anything beyond yet (level 19). The boss in this area and the Gargoyles are pretty much keeping me holed up in the gardens. I do want to beat that
one-legged electric thing
though in the exit of the Undead Burg (near the blacksmith in the basement). Any tips?

fludevil said:
Thanks to Brannon for the detailed response.

That's ok, you can get the follow up!

See I just run around hollow, and besides some defences and some item finds, it sounds like you're just asking for invasion.

BUT, I only have 5 estus flasks now, and I'm constantly running back, so I suppose this is where I need to kick in that kindle mechanic and start having longer adventures away from the bonfire.
Yup, when you are stuck on bosses its also good to go human, usually there's an npc you can summon and maybe human players that are willing to help you with it. There's also no risk to helping others out with your White Sign. If you die, you just go back to your last bonfire with nothing lost. If you help beat a boss you get souls and free humanity. I've gotten a lot of PSN message of people thanking me :) always good. Also depending on what covenant you are in, you can decrease the likelihood of invasions as well

scosher

Sir Garbageman said:
What's a solid medium shield I should potentially upgrade?

I have the following:
knight, hollow, spider, crest (the one with high magic resitance) and grass (stamina gains)

Hollow Soldier Shield will have one of the highest stabilities of medium shields, with 100% phys. reduction and good fire protection.

Crest Shield otherwise is a good shield for blocking magic spells as an alternative. It's also a unique shield and uses different mats to upgrade, so I would suggest upgrading these two and swapping based on what you're encountering (fire or magic).

vpance said:
I believe once you get past 50 or 60 for str or dex then it'll begin to pull ahead in dmg? According to what I read. I think I'm just going to keep playing without worry about absolute efficient maxing. Everyone running around with lightning great swords is kind of boring.

Eh, if it's anything like Demon Souls, there's heavy diminishing returns after 50 in any stat.

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
Ah, so that's what this lightning stone is for? To have the blacksmith use to upgrade the battle axe to a lightning battle axe? Thanks.

Sorry for the questions, I'm such a noob to the Souls franchise.

I guess I'm going to farm at
Darkroots Garden
and build up a good amount of materials to upgrade with, plus level up some more. I seriously don't think I'm ready for anything beyond yet (level 19). The boss in this area and the Gargoyles are pretty much keeping me holed up in the gardens. I do want to beat that
one-legged electric thing
though in the exit of the Undead Burg (near the blacksmith in the basement). Any tips?

use the stairs near the forest, i was pure melee and his swings are more or less horizontal. You can kinda get underneath all this swings and just smack him to death :D

Carbonox

razgriz417 said:
use the stairs near the forest, i was pure melee and his swings are more or less horizontal. You can kinda get underneath all this swings and just smack him to death :D

Even at my level? Hmm, I'll give it a try. Is the pay-off worth it?

Just made it to
The Depths
last night.

After fighting the butcher, I went down the hallway behind his table and fell down to the sewers with the Giant Rat. Killed it with about 20 arrows. Does it respawn?

EasyMode

BarrenMind said:
Just made it to
The Depths
last night.

After fighting the butcher, I went down the hallway behind his table and fell down to the sewers with the Giant Rat. Killed it with about 20 arrows. Does it respawn?
Nope, it's one of those mini-bosses that don't respawn.

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
Even at my level? Hmm, I'll give it a try. Is the pay-off worth it?

I forget what he drops, but you can just run past him for now if you like. It may take a while but you should be able to kill him once you learn his patterns

matmanx1

Re: stat scaling. I'm assuming the same "brokenness" applies to bows as it does to other weapons? I use a bow about 50% of the time with my Hunter and so far I've only put 1 additional point into Dex (bringing me to 15). Should I follow the same rule of only putting as many points into Dex as I need for a piece of gear because there will be an uber elemental bow available later? And can normal bows be ascended the same way other weapons can?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Interfectum said:

Wanderer Dex build here as well.

I stuck with upgrading my starter scimitar(to +10) almost the entire game so far and it has worked really well. On tougher enemies, I cast magic weapon on it for bonus magic damage(sorcery spell). I did just ascend my Scimitar to the Quelaas Fury Sword and bumped it up to +5 max with the blacksmith in Anon Lando(need lots of demon titanite).

Pretty much feel unstoppable now with that thing. There are better weapon options, but this path is serving me plenty fine in the lategame so far.

Top Bottom