• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

devenger

razgriz417 said:
Yup, when you are stuck on bosses its also good to go human, usually there's an npc you can summon and maybe human players that are willing to help you with it.

I'll definitely dip my toe in this tonight, thanks.

I am really trying to ignore large charts and just play. I'm sure I'm not going to get the maximum yield out of everything, but I'd rather try to experiment with everything in game instead of doing scholarly work outside of it. (save the study for NG+)

Then again, it sounds like the game is so lacking instruction, that might be the only way to play.

Heck, i have a couple of weapons I can't use and a mace. I'm happy for now.

Sullichin said:
What does "D" mean??
That's the stat scaling rating. The ratings go in this order S>A>B>C>D>E and affect bonuses that you get based on your stats. So if you have a weapon with an "S" rank in dexterity bonus and you have high dexterity then your weapon will do significantly more damage. When you look at the stat screen for a weapon you can see how much is added by looking at the numbers beside the base stats with the + or -. The stat scaling ratings are located in the bottom left corner of the screen when you're on a weapon's stat page.

dewkl

Neo Member
I have a level 57 knight (str, end, dxt mainly) and a 79 sorcerer. I still have all the souls from the bosses. Is there anything good I can buy from these souls? For my knight or sorcerer?

What about Gwyn's Soul?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
matmanx1 said:
Re: stat scaling. I'm assuming the same "brokenness" applies to bows as it does to other weapons? I use a bow about 50% of the time with my Hunter and so far I've only put 1 additional point into Dex (bringing me to 15). Should I follow the same rule of only putting as many points into Dex as I need for a piece of gear because there will be an uber elemental bow available later? And can normal bows be ascended the same way other weapons can?

Not really certain what these broken scaling comments are about. I've noticed massive gains in raw damage by pumping up Dex for my bows and 'dex based equipment'(scimitar and such).

I haven't crunched any data though, but I'd like people to elaborate. Are the STR and DEX scaling on a softer scale to say INT and FAITH scaling? Just annoyed that so few options exist with crafting for pure STR/DEX builds compared to the Magic classes?

EasyMode said:
Nope, it's one of those mini-bosses that don't respawn.

Thanks! I read about farming
Giant Rats
for Humanity, but I wasn't sure if it was referencing this one or others I've seen that are only about 1.5 times bigger than normal.

I have one other question about this area:
I know that there's some dude that buffs the Gaping Dragon, and you're supposed to kill him before you fight that boss. Last night I killed one of those sorcerer guys that shoots Soul Arrows in The Depths. Was that the guy I was looking for? I didn't have a chance to explore much further, because of course I ran into the frogs and got cursed.

LowParry

So what's the quickest way to get me 20,000 souls outside of the "glitch" method. I've just killed the hydra and traveled through past the undead dragon, back into Firelink Shrine.

cnizzle06 said:
Should I just buy standard arrows for my short bow in order to
get the Drake Sword
?
yes, will take about 30, so buy around 60 in case you miss some.

CcrooK said:
So what's the quickest way to get me 20,000 souls outside of the "glitch" method. I've just killed the hydra and traveled through past the undead dragon, back into Firelink Shrine.
did you kill the boss in the asylum that gives exactly 20K.

BarrenMind said:
Thanks! I read about farming
Giant Rats
for Humanity, but I wasn't sure if it was referencing this one or others I've seen that are only about 1.5 times bigger than normal.

I have one other question about this area:
I know that there's some dude that buffs the Gaping Dragon, and you're supposed to kill him before you fight that boss. Last night I killed one of those sorcerer guys that shoots Soul Arrows in The Depths. Was that the guy I was looking for? I didn't have a chance to explore much further, because of course I ran into the frogs and got cursed.

Yea that was the guy you needed to take out. Great place to grind IMO, if you're smart about the froggies. They die to 1 firebomb/fireball/combustion if that helps :)

I like the idea of this thread...but the OP has some iffy advice and isn't very descriptive. I suggest it gets cleaned up and fleshed out, especially if it's supposedly to serve a purpose to new players.

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
Where can I acquire (find/buy) a bow? I killed the merchant in the Undead Burg accidentally.

Theres a longbow in the darkwood forest path that leads to the basin. You'll have to get past a black knight tho and if you're coming from undead burg, you need to have the master key and kill Havel. Short of that I think you need to wait for a drop

Sullichin

The_Darkest_Red said:
That's the stat scaling rating. The ratings go in this order S>A>B>C>D>E and affect bonuses that you get based on your stats. So if you have a weapon with an "S" rank in dexterity bonus and you have high dexterity then your weapon will do significantly more damage. When you look at the stat screen for a weapon you can see how much is added by looking at the numbers beside the base stats with the + or -. The stat scaling ratings are located in the bottom left corner of the screen when you're on a weapon's stat page.

So, my gargoyle's halberd isn't worth upgrading past a certain point, I should find another weapon? How do I know if I can upgrade a weapon on a special path?

What is the suggested route after completing the first boss? Seems alot of people seem to feel lost afterwards and was wondering what players suggestions are.

Carbonox

razgriz417 said:
Theres a longbow in the darkwood forest path that leads to the basin. You'll have to get past a black knight tho and if you're coming from undead burg, you need to have the master key and kill Havel. Short of that I think you need to wait for a drop

I don't have a master key. So I guess I can't get it in then? Shit the bed. I want a bow damn it, the crossbow sucks! Really really considering restarting now and picking the master key as a gift. I picked the shitty HP ring which I can't even use (it's equipped but doesn't work).

duckroll

Ostinatto said:
how do i kill permanently

the skeletons in the catacombs

Either use a divine weapon, or
kill the necromancer in each area who is raising the fallen skeletons.

Zeth

Brandon F said:
Wanderer Dex build here as well.

I stuck with upgrading my starter scimitar(to +10) almost the entire game so far and it has worked really well. On tougher enemies, I cast magic weapon on it for bonus magic damage(sorcery spell). I did just ascend my Scimitar to the Quelaas Fury Sword and bumped it up to +5 max with the blacksmith in Anon Lando(need lots of demon titanite).

Pretty much feel unstoppable now with that thing. There are better weapon options, but this path is serving me plenty fine in the lategame so far.
What do you need besides the weap at +10 and Q's soul? Just souls? Shards?

thundr51

I'm a lvl25 knight and finally finished beating <spoiler>Havel</spoiler>. I also beat <spoiler>capra</spoiler> as well so I have the key to the depths as well. Should I head to Darkroot or the Depths?

Also, is there any point to upgrade the armor you wear? Does it get lighter or just provide more protection if you do?

scosher

Confidence Man said:
Have the scaling values actually been reduced from Demon's Souls or is it just that the elemental upgrades have been made better?

Possibly combination of both. No Sharp/Crushing weapons = no A or S scaling Dex/Str weapons (they'd have to have it innately like bows).

Likewise, elemental weapons (and pyromancy) seem a lot stronger than Demon's Souls, while also requiring no stat investment.

But that's a simple balancing act that can be remedied in a future patch if From deems it necessary.

Dommel

So I'm Sorcerer SL25 now, got a few sorceries and miracles. Can I also start Pyromancing if I talk to the trainer and get the catalyst (glove I believe?).

Trevelyon

If you've cleared a certain boss in an area in your world
Gaping Dragon, for example
does the likelihood of being summoned into another player's world who hasn't defeated it yet, drop or stop altogether, does humanity points held contribute or better your chance of being summoned?

Noticed as soon as I cleared the aforementioned boss for real, I couldn't get summoned, waited at popular stone dropping area for at least 30 minutes, reloaded and restarted the game, nothing at all.

Seems odd, since as soon as I threw down my stone, I'd be picked up in seconds if not a minute or two.

Booshka

thundr51 said:
I'm a lvl25 knight and finally finished beating <spoiler>Havel</spoiler>. I also beat <spoiler>capra</spoiler> as well so I have the key to the depths as well. Should I head to Darkroot or the Depths?

Also, is there any point to upgrade the armor you wear? Does it get lighter or just provide more protection if you do?
I've been using Balder Armor+8 for most of my game, it offers 74 Defense and has decent magic defense. If you find a good set don't be afraid to upgrade it, it helps, especially if you are a melee heavy class.

Booshka

cnizzle06 said:
Do I press R2 while in midair?
You press R1, you don't actually jump, you just fall down by walking off, then press R1 while falling and it should automatically do the attack.

Orayn

cnizzle06 said:
Do I press R2 while in midair?
R1, actually. You might need to press it a few times, but you know it's working when you see your character point their weapon straight down.

EasyMode

thundr51 said:
I'm a lvl25 knight and finally finished beating
Havel
. I also beat
capra
as well so I have the key to the depths as well. Should I head to Darkroot or the Depths?

Havel's ring
is awesome. I went to the depths before heading to darkroot. I think the grunts in the depths are easier.

Upgrading armor just boosts their defense stats. It's pretty easy to upgrade armor pieces to +3 since you can just buy the shards from the blacksmith.

Will reinforcing items with special properties increase the property? Like this shield that makes you regen stamina faster... will that function be effected? I remember having a shield in Demon's Souls that regenerated health faster each time you upgraded.

anddo0

CcrooK said:

You can beat the
Wolf
to gain easy access to the forest without buying the crest. The forest is a great place to farm. It just depends on your method of farming...

Like it or hate it. The forest is the new Storm Ruler (4-3 grind spot in DS). The way you tackle the area is totally your decision.

EasyMode

anddo0 said:
You can beat the
Wolf
to gain easy access to the forest without buying the crest.
Do you mean the gate unlocked by the crest opens if you beat
the wolf
? If so, I should have spent my souls on something else.

duckroll

archnemesis said:
I got cursed by
a frog
. How do I remove it? Is there a quick guide?

There are two ways to remove a curse:

a) You can use a Purging Stone.

b) You can wear the Rare Ring of Sacrifice, and die.

Method A is much better because method B is kinda a waste. There are several ways to get a Purging Stone.

1) Buy it from the Undead Merchant at the end of the Firelink/Undead Burg aqueduct. This requires that you have unlocked that shortcut. It costs 6000 souls there.

2) After you ring the first bell -
Buy it from Goddess of Sin guy who appeared. He sells it for 3000 souls.

3) Undead Asylum -
Return to the Undead Asylum, and trade with the crow. Trading 1 Cracked Red Eye Orb will get you 2 Purging Stones.

devenger

I'm loving that I don't know actually where to go, and it's too dangerous for me to just run around and look.

I have to mount an expedition to exhaust a direction.

mjc

How do you get through illusion/fake walls? I see signs for them all the time but I can't just walk through it or anything.

EasyMode

mjc said:
How do you get through illusion/fake walls? I see signs for them all the time but I can't just walk through it or anything.
In Demon's Souls you got through them by attacking them. But the signs you're seeing are most likely from trolls. I'm seeing much more bad advice in this game than I did in Demon's Souls, :lol.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Way of White quest:
the miracle bro had some company a little while ago; a lady and two additional bros. now they aren't there and the miracle bro is upset. where do I go to find them? I don't really use miracles so I don't mind that he won't sell me any at this point, but I would like to see this through for the (most likely minimal) story of it. Also, I am of the forest covenant now, does that have any bearing on anything regarding this way of white quest?

Prisoner in the lower undeadburg:
there is a door in the area outside of the Capra demon boss fight where someone is locked in and asking for help. where do I find the key to this door?

Prisoner in the church:
I killed this dude because he was being creepy. got his ring which was nice at the time. I have since been told that he only kills one npc and that you could revive that one, and I'm essentially missing out on stuff by having done what I did. Is this one specific quest line I'm missing out on or does he impact more things? He supposedly hangs out in the firelink shrine so I suppose you could talk to him; would he have fun things to say, etc?

that last one isn't really something I need help with, but I would like to know for NG+ or when I roll a different character.

duckroll

CcrooK said:
Where is this nest I need to get back to the Asylum?

Have you unlocked the elevator shortcut between Firelink and Parish yet? If you haven't, you need to do that first.

When you're going up the elevator or coming down, there is a second floor you can roll out into before in Firelink. From this area, go to the grassy area on your right. Look towards the tall tower, and look for a narrow stone beam that you can roll onto to get to the tower. Climb the tower, keep climbing it all the way to the top, and curl yourself into the ball on the crow's nest and wait for a minute or so.

Oh, and you'll want to grab the Asylum key from the roof of the Firelink Shrine itself before you do that. :)

Top Bottom