• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls franchise getting comic books starting April 2016

darksouls1cover-agame-coverjpg-c73c7a_765w.jpg
darksouls1cover-bconcept-coverjpg-19c260_765w.jpg
darksouls1cover-c-by-joshua-cassarajpg-19c261_765w.jpg
darksouls1cover-d-by-marco-turinijpg-0d73d2_765w.jpg

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/01/19/dark-souls-comic-book-coming-in-april-2016 < < < there's a nice video here

Dark Souls fans have more than just a new video game to look forward to this spring. We're pleased to exclusively reveal that Titan Comics has acquired the rights to this moody, brutally difficult Bandai Namco franchise and will be launching a Dark Souls comic book in April, just in time for Dark Souls 3.

The comic is simply titled "Dark Souls" and will offer new stories set within the universe rather than adapting the stories of the games. It'll be written by George Mann (Doctor Who: The 8th Doctor) and drawn by Alan Quah (Godzilla: Awakening).

[Editor's Note: We do not know if the series will be an ongoing or limited series, but we will update this article when we get that information.]

Dark Souls #1 will ship with five different covers, including two game covers, a blank sketch cover and two variant covers by artists Joshua Cassara and Marco Turini. You can check out four of these covers below:

Mann discussed his excitement for this new series in Titan's official press release, saying, "I&#8217;m &#8216;dead&#8217; excited to be working on this new series (see what I did, there). Dark Souls has a rich, original universe that&#8217;s just begging to be explored in comics, and I&#8217;m honoured to have the opportunity to delve in and tell some new stories within it. I&#8217;ve been a fan of the games for some time, so it&#8217;s a real thrill to be able to contribute to the mythology of the Hollows and their world.&#8221;

In other Dark Souls news, last month Bandai Namco confirmed the release date and revealed two different collector's editions for Dark Souls III.

Look for Dark Souls #1 to be released on April 6 and Dark Souls III to follow on April 12.

holy shit YES this is awesome

i'm in for the variant covers, especially the final one. can't wait to see vaatividya's take on this stuff, too. prepare to cry fuel!

lock me away in the undead asylum if old

I dunno, I kinda don't want comics if they attempt to add more to the story. They look great though, colorful but evoking that bleak picture that Dark Souls paints.

Zolo

Could be interesting. Too bad they couldn't get Miura to take a break from Berserk and do it though.
=p

I dunno, I kinda don't want comics if they attempt to add more to the story. They look great though, colorful but evoking that bleak picture that Dark Souls paints.

Yeah I definitely agree on that front, not a fan of supplemental video game material. For one usually it's badly written, for another it usually leads to poor storytelling (Halo 4's everything, Mass Effect 3's Kai Leng)

brawly

Only interested if they explain the story/lore. Like a prequel. Don't want some unrelated action hero crap like in that third pic.

I cant wait to see the adventures of Sir Alonne!!!....oh....

Anyway I dont like the comics route. at least is not Dark Horse

Wow I just noticed that Bloodborne has no sun, wonder if that was intentional?

You start the game in the sunset and in the
ending

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Meh, Kinda takes away some of the mystery from the series which is a negative imo. But people seem excited for it so far.

The Dark Souls 2 short comics makes sense because but this is stretching the story in a unusual way, why not just simply make a DLC where you use Alva instead

Probably not as there's no sun in the first game either, and there is a sun in Bloodborne, it just takes place on the night of the hunt

There is a sun bro, did you Solaire?

How is he holding the sword and those random skeleton for the young audience is hilarious.

I am incredibly excited for these, definitely buying. Seems like a great choice for the artist, based on his deviantart. It seems fine to me, as a huge Souls fan, if they simply tell a story of some long lost character like Alva in the comics.
It's what they do with much of the item descriptions in the games. I just hope they really focus on the showing and not the telling, although I have no idea about who the writer is.

squidyj

....so are they going to actually tell a story or are we going to have to pore over each panel for obscure clues to try to figure out what's going on?

darksouls1cover-d-by-marco-turinijpg-0d73d2_765w.jpg

...how is he holding the sword?

The Dark Souls 2 short comics makes sense because but this is stretching the story in a unusual way, why not just simply make a DLC where you use Alva instead

There is a sun bro, did you Solaire?

Who is he holding the sword and those random skeleton for the young audience is hilarious.

he's kneeling. it's resting up against his leg.

also, they're not simply making a DLC because it's way, way harder than a comic and doesn't match the style of the games to be shoed into playing a character you didn't make

Nazo

The art looks pretty good. Color me intrigued. Though I am worried for its narrative. It would be pretty easy to fuck up a continuing narrative set in the Dark Souls universe. I kind of hope its more of an anthology series, with each issue telling a different and unique story set in the universe. I think that would probably be the best course of action in my opinion.

dan2026

Comic books are awesome.

Dark Souls is awesome.

Hmm. Have never heard of the writer though. This could go either way.

BizzyBum

Amazing how we went from word of mouth for Demon's Souls to this.

All well deserved. A classic franchise that keeps delivering.

Top Bottom