• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls games have terrible design decisions that seem ignored by most of us

Don't get me wrong, I think the Dark Souls series deserves a lot praise. However, after nearly finishing Dark Souls 3 I have noticed that a lot of the "lows" in the game come from sheer frustration in response to terrible design decisions, not the actual challenge (which is severely overblown IMO). I think Dark Souls 1 was such a unique experience for many of us that we were quicker to overlook the jank.

We are now several games in and a lot of the same design decisions persist and I don't think they benefit the game:

-Large enemies frequently slash around large weapons in tight spaces killing you, but if you try to swing your sword it clanks against the walls.
-Enemies can swing their weapons through walls and doors (such as prison gates) to hurt you
-Enemies can take an incredible amount of fall damage, but you can barely survive a fall of much lesser height.
-Thick swampy water slows your movement, but enemy movement is never affected (even enemies that aren't native to swamps).
-Environmental hazards (poison, lava, etc) illogically don't affect enemies.
-Working really hard to defeat an enemy to get past a door only to find a dead end with a worthless item.
-Using a great soul from a boss only to find it was only worth 10,000 when you have souls you have picked up from corpses that are worth the same or more.
-Your blood stains are frequently in the wrong place when you return to retrieve your lost souls
-Kicking is the same button press as your standard sword swing. You press RB to swing and you have to press RB + up to kick. This can lead to obvious problems and is just awkward.
-Enemies that not only snipe you, but fire projectiles that home in on you like a charged plasma pistol shot from Halo.
-Enemies often have incredibly weird hit boxes and can hit you when they clearly missed by a wide margin.
-Different enemies have "invincibility frames" that you can't predict or know until you get punished over and over.
-The game heavily relies on invincibility frames and is overly generous in providing enemies invincibility frames (such as smacking an enemy into the ground only to find that they are invincible when getting back up. This wastes your stamina and they resume slashing at you).
-Bosses often resort to incredibly cheap moves that cause area of affect damage when it makes no sense (such as slamming a hammer on the ground in front of them and nearly killing you when you are behind them)
-Certain classes and attributes are extremely worthless in comparison to others, frustrating players that don't have experience with the "way these games usually work."

I could rattle off more, but I think you get the point. These games are often brilliant, beautiful, and satisfying. However, they have so many irritating design decisions that have persisted through each title. These games don't seem like significant improvements or tighter experiences than their last games, but just slightly different versions of the same thing. I love Dark Souls, but man do I frequently get frustrated for all the wrong reasons. There is a clear difference between being frustrated at failing a legitimate challenge and being frustrated because of frustrating design. I think I and many others have given From too much of a pass for including annoying and illogical design decisions that have persisted through all of their titles.

The titles are just so unique that I keep returning to them even though I know I'll hate it as much as I love it.

Why are you using Great Souls to get souls? Mod that shit into a weapon, yo

And weird hitboxes? In 2 maybe, but in 1, 3, and Demon's, the hitboxes are perfect

Prelude.

Your blood stains are frequently in the wrong place when you return to retrieve your lost souls

That's intentional. I don't remember what they use to determine your last valid position, but it's to prevent them from spawning in a place you can't reach, so they're just a bit before the moment you died.

And weird hitboxes? In 2 maybe, but in 1, 3, and Demon's, the hitboxes are perfect

I do use Great Souls to transpose in Dark Souls 3, but usually they aren't worth it and don't fit your class/build.

Saying that they are perfect is to me insane. Enemies either can hit you when you are clearly out of the way, or if they are in the middle of certain moves or actions, their hitboxes become very inaccurate.

That's.. not jank?

It's not jank, it's a weird design decision. People frequently praise the series for "genius" level design, when there are often places that are worthless and add nothing to the level at all. Perhaps you could call it "trolling the player", but that's...not really fun?

pur

Neo Member
HdkMYsJ.gif

I feel like most of these are conscious design decisions and are part and parcel of the experience. Maybe I'm just too far gone in my koolaid drinking.

Also, plenty of times I've abused enemy AI to get kills on hard mobs through walls/other enviro obstacles.

mstevens

Only thing on that list was kicking when I'm trying to R1. I realize that it's entirely my fault, but for some reason I only ran into the problem in DS3.

You can swing through walls and doors too. Many of these complaints are small in the grand scheme of these games. I might experience one of these problems like once every few hours.

halfbeast

Banned
nobody said they're perfect. they're just so satisfying, we deal with most of the crap they come with. hell, the hitting-through-walls-thingy I used many times to my advantage (door with the insight-sucking bastard who has the key in the orphanage).

That's intentional. I don't remember what they use to determine your last valid position, but it's to prevent them from spawning in a place you can't reach, so they're just a bit before the moment you died.

I tried to figure it out in demon's souls by killing myself in 4-2, I guess, I was farming for darkmoon shards or something. running off the cliff near blige I noticed my stain was inside the tunnel most of the times. I think, it remembers the moment before you used any kind of action (attack/running/etc.) - so, if you run towards an enemy and start attacking but die, your bloodstain will be further away than when you just walk towards it and attack.

Deku Tree

Your first souls game is the hardest one. And your list sounds like minor nit picks that results from frustrations when you die a lot.

-Large enemies frequently slash around large weapons in tight spaces killing you, but if you try to swing your sword it clanks against the walls.
-Enemies can swing their weapons through walls and doors (such as prison gates) to hurt you
-Enemies can take an incredible amount of fall damage, but you can barely survive a fall of much lesser height.
-Thick swampy water slows your movement, but enemy movement is never affected (even enemies that aren't native to swamps).

Agree on all of these, especially since people like to talk about how the game is fair and enemies have the same limitations as you, but this is not true, especially frustrating when fighting in claustrophobic environments

-Using a great soul from a boss only to find it was only worth 10,000 when you have souls you have picked up from corpses that are worth the same or more.
Boss Souls are to be transformed into weapons or spells, you are not supposed to consume them

Most of that list are just annoying nitpicks to me at worst. Things like the bad hitboxes at times are very far from going unnoticed or getting a pass.

I'm fine with little things like enemies not bouncing off walls. They need a little edge to be dangerous because their AI is so simple.

Finally, enemies do get affected by the environment. Of course it's not all the time. It'd be stupid to walk into farron keep for example and every enemily on the map just dies because of the poison shortly after. Throw a guy in Lava though and they die just as quickly as you do.

A lot of these apply to just about every action game ever. The computer enemies always cheat and have unfair advantages, x-ray vision, etc. It's easier to program and also they need to be challenging to the human player, since human-like AI is still very hard to do and would probably be too difficult for many enemies anyways.

Manu

List of actual issues I have with the series:

-Camera is shit when fighting larger enemies.
-Most grab attacks are bullshit, a grab should only activate when it hits your character's torso, not your toes.

Everything else are just minor annoyances.

Mr Rivuz

They really need to work on the enemies hitting through walls, it's terrible.
I just fought a boss in Bloodborne today, in the chalice dungeons, and he literally threw his sword through a column hitting me when i should have been "safe"...

nobody said they're perfect. they're just so satisfying, we deal with most of the crap they come with. hell, the hitting-through-walls-thingy I used many times to my advantage (door with the insight-sucking bastard who has the key in the orphanage).

Seems like minor nitpicks to me that is limited to only a few situations.

I just feel like that is just terrible design. The game establishes rules, but then you find that you can exploit the jank to your advantage or you find the enemy does the same. It's terribly inconsistent and IMO very bad design to keep persisting through all of your titles.

These are not minor nitpicks to me, especially when a lot of the problems mentioned can result in a death that you frankly didn't deserve. It's not challenging, it's just time wasting and boring.

I agree but I think these are a little exaggerated. They're all annoyances though, definitely. Particularly the enemy clipping vs. your clipping. It's so fucking frustrating that you can think you're safe and then you'll get poked THROUGH A WALL by an attack.

pur

Neo Member
in my second run i used great souls because the weapons paled in comparison to the mighty uchi

Mighty uchi indeed. Second run here and have been rolling with it since I got to firelink. Thinking of switching to black blade though

Nere

I wouldn't call those tiny things terrible design. Plus most of the stuff you mention just aren't true like enemies do get affected by enviromental hazards, who told you to use boss souls to get souls, you use them to get weapons that is their main purpose, hitboxes are mostly fine, enemies can hit you through prison cells but it is incredibly hard to happen and also so can you. Nothing of all these screams to me terrible design decisions.

jabuseika

All of the above can be solved by getting good.
/s

Most of what you mentioned are little quirks that give the series their flavor. Most veterans of the series are expected to know about them, but I can see new players not understanding why something behaves the way it does, and think that it's a bug.

Things have been left in there for a reason or another. Enemies not taking environmental damage is simple, if they did, it would be too easy to cheese most enemies (even thought it already is).

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Mighty uchi indeed. Second run here and have been rolling with it since I got to firelink. Thinking of switching to black blade though
don't make the mistake i made; stop leveling dex at 37 because the ring in catacombs gives you +3 dex

ElFly

I've plenty of times killed enemies through walls with my gigantic swords. On purpose I mean.

It works both ways. Gotta take advantage of the jank.

I wouldn't call those tiny things terrible design. Plus most of the stuff you mention just aren't true like enemies do get affected by enviromental hazards, hitboxes are mostly fine, enemies can hit you through prison cells but it is incredibly hard to happen and also so can you. Nothing of all these screams to me terrible design decisions.

A lot of enemies do not get affected by poison environments. Knights for example can blissfully run at you through waist high poison swamp and gracefully kill you while you can't move and are suffering from poison toxicity.

You are illustrating my point though. A lot of these so called "minor annoyances" would actually be huge flaws in other games, but I think Dark Souls started it's legacy and we wave our hand and say "it's okay, it's just Dark Souls."

Demon Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, Bloodborne, and now Dark Souls 3. From hasn't removed most of these "minor annoyances" in their titles.

Venfayth

If you could stop enemies from attacking with large weapons by dragging them to walls it wouldn't really be fun.

You can actually do this also depending on how you swing and what weapon you're using.

I've killed plenty of enemies with fall damage. I don't really feel like it's different, although fall damage can be mitigated by various player factors. It might be the same for enemies.

This is not true.

This is not true.

-Working really hard to defeat an enemy to get past a door only to find a dead end with a worthless item.
Worthless to you maybe, all items have a purpose though, especially in Souls games where the lore is tied to items and their placements.

This is obviously balancing, and also enticing you to transmute them into items.

-Your blood stains are frequently in the wrong place when you return to retrieve your lost souls
They show up before where you died, not in the same spot.

-Kicking is the same button press as your standard sword swing. You press RB to swing and you have to press RB + up to kick. This can lead to obvious problems and is just awkward.
It would be nice to have a different kick input, but note that some weapons actually change what your "kick" attack is.

-Enemies that not only snipe you, but fire projectiles that home in on you like a charged plasma pistol shot from Halo.
Simply balancing to make ranged enemies a threat while also allowing for you to have time to react to the projectile.

-Enemies often have incredibly weird hit boxes and can hit you when they clearly missed by a wide margin.
Hitboxes can always use work, some enemies and bosses are bad in particular.

-Different enemies have "invincibility frames" that you can't predict or know until you get punished over and over.
Enemies are only invincible during cinematic attacks (IE: they grabbed someone in multiplayer, doesn't make sense to let it be killed during that kind of thing) or after they are knocked down by one of your attacks. You can stunlock them this way.

-The game heavily relies on invincibility frames and is overly generous in providing enemies invincibility frames (such as smacking an enemy into the ground only to find that they are invincible when getting back up. This wastes your stamina and they resume slashing at you).
Same point, don't really understand how it's a terrible design decision. You only need to try this a few times before you should stop wasting your stamina.

-Bosses often resort to incredibly cheap moves that cause area of affect damage when it makes no sense (such as slamming a hammer on the ground in front of them and nearly killing you when you are behind them)
Bosses are too cheap? Tell me more.

-Certain classes and attributes are extremely worthless in comparison to others, frustrating players that don't have experience with the "way these games usually work."
The games have continuously gotten better about this. In 3 every stat has a use and it says as much in the "help" menu.

pur

Neo Member
don't make the mistake i made; stop leveling dex at 37 because the ring in catacombs gives you +3 dex

Aye, just finishing up the catacombs, rocking the two carthus rings. Going full jedi w/attunement, dex, intelligence. Master's robes/wraps, worker trousers, thiefs hood. Great magic weapon = blue lightsaber uchi. Loving it much more than my sword and board quality build I had in my first run.

Also, general PSA. Ditch your shield folks, game is a lot better without it. Dodges for days in DS3.

Working really hard to defeat an enemy to get past a door only to find a dead end with a worthless item.

Cathedral of the deep? Those two sets of giant doors that make you think you're going to go somewhere cool LMAO

Dahbomb

A lot of those are just simply not true anymore or are extremely minor gripes.

Like the fall damage one. You can kill so many powerful enemies by just dropping them off the ledge. Please give me an example of this in DS3 where you dropped an enemy from a far height and they didn't take big damage.

mclem

The biggest killer when I played Demon's Souls was that one Black Phantom on a small island in the swamps of the Valley of Defilement.

Your general concept of your first few points - that enemies are not constrained by the same things that constrain the player - struck me when fighting that one. I've been unable to make up my mind if I think it's a good thing or not.

On the plus side, that means the player has to adapt to fight with a weakness. On the minus side, that means that the player has potentially interesting tactical options denied from them.

I think in real terms, it can be simply put down to From not wanting to have to expand the AI to take into account (and therefore adapt to) constraints on attacking or movement, which is fair enough. But I think it's also right to flag it up as illogical and something that if it were changed could in turn make combat more interesting.

ElFly

A lot of enemies do not get affected by poison environments. Knights for example can blissfully run at you through waist high poison swamp and gracefully kill you while you can't move and are suffering from poison toxicity.

Poison has been ridiculously nerfed in Dark Souls 3. Even Toxic acts so slow it is almost impossible to die of it.

Honestly this is a weirder design choice than enemies not being affected by it.

The biggest killer when I played Demon's Souls was that one Black Phantom on a small island in the swamps of the Valley of Defilement.

Your general concept of your first few points - that enemies are not constrained by the same things that constrain the player - struck me when fighting that one. I've been unable to make up my mind if I think it's a good thing or not.

On the plus side, that means the player has to adapt to fight with a weakness. On the minus side, that means that the player has potentially interesting tactical options denied from them.

There is not a lot lost here in tactical terms; in DS1 and 2 you can cheese several enemies with poison arrows. It is not that interesting.

This is not true.

There may be some enemies affected by lava, but if you go with the aggression mod into the Demon Ruins before you lower the lava level, enemies will walk to you through the lava. Like, not OVER the lava, but just plain old walking through it, and emerging from it.

Undamaged obviously.

So several times enemies are just not affected by environmental hazards. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't.

It's not jank, it's a weird design decision. People frequently praise the series for "genius" level design, when there are often places that are worthless and add nothing to the level at all. Perhaps you could call it "trolling the player", but that's...not really fun?

I like that not every inch of every area is important or packed full of treasure. It's almost refreshing to defeat an enemy at a dead end and find that they weren't actually guarding anything. If you expect treasure at every turn it becomes boring.

Most of those things are incredibly minor nitpicks that come to light once in a blue moon.

Astral

I can only agree with you in enemy weapons going through some walls and some hit box issues that we all know are there. The homing arrows can also fuck the fuck off. That's always pissed me off and is straight up cheap. Everything else doesn't seem like a big deal to me. The swamp thing is even false I think. The Darkwraiths in Farron Keep for example do eventually become poisoned if you take the fight to the swamp. I did however notice that in the Cathedral of the Deep, in the area where there's tar-like water that makes you walk slow as fuck, that the enemies were not affected by it. That was bullshit and feels like something they forgot about.

Venfayth

Poison has been ridiculously nerfed in Dark Souls 3. Even Toxic acts so slow it is almost impossible to die of it.

Honestly this is a weirder design choice than enemies not being affected by it.

Toxic killed me numerous times when I didn't have a way to remove it simply because of how long it lasts. Poison did seem pretty ignore-able though.

A lot of fair points (which will be handwaved away by fanboys) and I would also add that a lot of enemies (in DS3 anyway) dont obey the same rules of poise and stamina that you do. Or maybe they just have a cheap, ridiculous amount of it.

Fucking LOL. DS3 has some absolutely atrocious hitboxes and enemy attacks hitting you through walls.

Noaloha

I've actually always given the games something of a pass with regards to how much your vision/awareness/control goes to shit when pressed up against a wall when against a large enemy. Intentional or no, I think it functions well as an abstraction of the idea that you lose someaspect of combat capability if you get cornered.

ExVicis

You're completely right OP but honestly I think that's part of the charm. People seem to think the Souls series is some great amazingly designed videogame but it's really full of a lot of flaws and bullshit if you examine it for a minute or so. But that bullshit and those flaws it what makes it so good.

Cat Party

List of actual issues I have with the series:

-Camera is shit when fighting larger enemies.
-Most grab attacks are bullshit, a grab should only activate when it hits your character's torso, not your toes.

Everything else are just minor annoyances.
This x100000.

The only deaths that piss me off in Souls are the ones caused by the camera or grab attacks.

A lot of those are just simply not true anymore or are extremely minor gripes.

Like the fall damage one. You can kill so many powerful enemies by just dropping them off the ledge. Please give me an example of this in DS3 where you dropped an enemy from a far height and they didn't take big damage.

This is the problem with making concise points. Saying something has a problem doesn't mean it's always a problem. Of course enemies can take fall damage, however it's so minuscule in comparison to how much you take. I just find that irksome.

An easy example is in Lothric you can knock one of those enemies hanging off the sides of railing very far down where you can descend with a ladder. They just fall and wait for you, while you would die instantly (even later in the game with high dex and hp).

You're completely right OP but honestly I think that's part of the charm. People seem to think the Souls series is some great amazingly designed videogame but it's really full of a lot of flaws and bullshit if you examine it for a minute or so. But that bullshit and those flaws it what makes it so good.

I want to comment on what I italicized: It's really frustrating to go into a situation, prepare, and approach it with some good old fashioned logic. However, you quickly realize that logic does not in any way persist, remain consistent, or even work against many encounters. I guess after playing 5 games into the series it's no longer "charming", but just simply bullshit that I have to figure out and then exploit. I don't consider that challenging anymore. I consider it boring and tiresome.

A third of these are downright false, another third are there for sensible reasons, and the last third are technical limitations, not design decisions.

Armchair designed GAF strikes again. Send in your resume, I'm sure FROM will be eager to kick Miyazaki and put you in charge.

Dmonzy

If you could stop enemies from attacking with large weapons by dragging them to walls it wouldn't really be fun.

You can actually do this also depending on how you swing and what weapon you're using.

I've killed plenty of enemies with fall damage. I don't really feel like it's different, although fall damage can be mitigated by various player factors. It might be the same for enemies.

This is not true.

This is not true.

Worthless to you maybe, all items have a purpose though, especially in Souls games where the lore is tied to items and their placements.

This is obviously balancing, and also enticing you to transmute them into items.

They show up before where you died, not in the same spot.

It would be nice to have a different kick input, but note that some weapons actually change what your "kick" attack is.

Simply balancing to make ranged enemies a threat while also allowing for you to have time to react to the projectile.

Hitboxes can always use work, some enemies and bosses are bad in particular.

Enemies are only invincible during cinematic attacks (IE: they grabbed someone in multiplayer, doesn't make sense to let it be killed during that kind of thing) or after they are knocked down by one of your attacks. You can stunlock them this way.

Same point, don't really understand how it's a terrible design decision. You only need to try this a few times before you should stop wasting your stamina.

Bosses are too cheap? Tell me more.

The games have continuously gotten better about this. In 3 every stat has a use and it says as much in the "help" menu.

I was going to address everything but you did a pretty good job already. Some of these complaints are valid (such as kicking) but many are unfounded. Like the bloodstain thing, it always shows up a couple seconds before where you died in order to help you retrieve it without dying the same way again.

pur

Neo Member
I used the Uchi in 3 until after the NiOh demo. After that it just seemed pointless and like a pale imitation.

This is valid, but until we get NiOh, I'll use it. Though there are deep moments of sadness when my uchi slashes don't dismember DS3 mobs.

Top Bottom