• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II 12 minute gameplay video up [Update: 10 Minute Q&A Video]

Haunted

why is everyone requesting dual wielding?
you've been able to equip things in both hands since demon's souls
Well, but that wasn't reflected with unique attack animations and moves, so it never felt like "proper" dual wielding.

In the video there's a string of dual wielded attacks with the third clearly including both weapons with a dual-wielding specific animation.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I wish the interviewer asked about humanity. It seems like that system is gone and I'm wondering if there is something to fill its place.

I'm disappointed by this too. It's a huge factor of the game and wasn't touched upon at all.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
IGN with the shitty stream protection. GJGE. Just let me download it so I don't have to watch crap quality on youtube.

Zeliard

ibzNEuKYvUrYCC.gif

They call this pulling a Prometheus

Salsa

Anyone else feel like the shadow are completely fucked in the outside scenes?

It's almost impossible to make out what's happening on screen.

In real life, the contrast between light and shadow isn't nearly as pronounced.

MhIXnMR.png

That combined with nonexistent anti-aliasing gives a very distorted image.

this was the case with Dark Souls 1 as well afaik

the shadows are all weird and everything's way too dark

Zeth

Really couldn't have been better, I am incredibly relieved.

When the Wyvern destroyed the bridge, I almost thought it was going to be a cinematic, ha!

isual

praise the sun

Game of the Year 2014

telling you guys: this is a prequel

You're playing probably as Gwyn

shiettttt

traveler

Not Wario
I can see them trying to get more of a wider appeal even from this footage tho

like I said before it looks way more cinematic and with "scripted" (not in the common sense mind you, not talking about QTE like stuff but rather scenarios that will happen to everyone) scenes

It might just be the footage they chose but with that monster breaking through the walls, the bone dragon reacting like that, the moving camera angles and death through the bridge with the dragons..

it looks like they fleshed out sort of the "epic" factor. Im okay with that

Kinda early to call that. There are parallels to both of those in the previous games. The "Dragon comes to life and attacks you if you pick up the item right in front of it" is straight out of Dark Souls. Also, the very first boss in Dark Souls breaks through a wall to attack you regardless of what you do; this enemy, which only attacks if provoked, is actually a step away from that.

Need info on that character's stat build because it was taking a ton of hits and dealing out tons of damage compared to the enemies, which isn't as big a deal if it's revisiting an early area with high stats and late game armour/weapons but problematic if that was a level appropriate playthrough.

Also, need an explanation on why it looks like there are both bonfires and separate healing items.

agreed on these points. he seemed to be absorbing a lot of hits in some of those sections and not suffering too much damage. throwing axe to the face notwithstanding. maybe there is an explanation for that and there were times when damage added up pretty quickly, but im hoping there is some explanation on why that was the case.

in the q&a he says there are still estus flasks, but doesnt mention how they complement or whatever the healing drops he uses in the video. i would like to know what the deal is with that.

Daante

Just finished watching the Q&A. The most important thing i took from that was.

This game will ABSOLUTLEY NOT BE DUMBED DOWN to appeal to a broader audience.

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU

zaxon

I wish the interviewer asked about humanity. It seems like that system is gone and I'm wondering if there is something to fill its place.

They did say that Estus would still be there despite it not being in the demo. Perhaps the same applies for humanity.

Maybe you play part of the game as pure human
(or god!)
then later turn into an undead...

Looks great! The pacing seems a tad faster than 1. Did I misunderstand the commentator or did they say they're pushing more exploration and less combat? If that's case hopefully it's just for the area they were showing.

Nokterian

Absolutely. I was just so surprised to see many of the same VSSAO issues I fought hours to get rid of, in an eerily similar fashion.

I hope there won't be anything that needs fixing.

In terms of graphics that is. I hope it is a better port but i have my doubts.

Superflat

Watched once through, but these are some immediate impressions.

Things that stood out:

-lighting and textures look much better, especially on the character and monsters.

-interface layout is the same but redesigned to look WAY more elegant and matching with the world. Even the lock on reticle is fancy.

-at 08:45 main character looks like he's wearing med-heavy armor but seems to be able to move around quite fast. Rolls as fast as a fast roll in DS.

-attack animations with the light sword are also really fluid and fast, maybe faster than in DS, BUT he switches to a clearly huge greatsword at 09:00 and the animations look about as slow, if not a bit slower than DS

-animations are much more fluid and doesn't seem to get in the way of combat.

-CLOTH PHYSICS

Looks like Dark Souls. Can't wait!

One WTF: The SSAO they have going looks exactly like the VSSAO implementation I did in Dark Souls 1, down to the same few final artifacts I couldn't get rid of.

FROM
they're taking it from Durante
(Today, xx:xx PM)

Dresden

Can't watch the video right now, but moving while using a bow is in? If so, enemies better be faster and more aggressive in this.

jett

D-Member
It's certainly Dark Souls. I guess in the end they were comfortable with not really changing much at all.

Q&A summary:
Q: What gameplay elements carry over?
A: Bonfires, Estus flasks, and many other stuff you will be comfortable

Q: Lots of dragons
A: yes dragons are key element of story

Q: Storytelling style changes?
A: Will still have the dark souls spirit that is the way we tell stories, look into small details and imagine story yourself

Q: better grfx, wind effects etc
A: wanted to bring life to the game, dive deep into the world

Q: Accessibility vs. old fans
A: sense of satisfaction and overcoming difficulties, loose connection with other players underlying concepts for DS series. Other franchises add on for new games, but we want to emphasise the core concepts and express them to new players. Not more accessible but more clear.

Q: HUD changes
A: Still in development, improvements in usability based on user feedback

Q: How much do you listen to fans
A: want to hear want fans want

Q: Combat changes
A: Underlying base same as DS1, focus on expression of motion, more motion capture, more realistic motions, more natural feel.

Q: Looks fantastic, when is it out
A: still in development trying to make the best game they can.

this is the gist of the Q&A for peeps without sound

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Looks great! The pacing seems a tad faster than 1. Did I misunderstand the commentator or did they say they're pushing more exploration and less combat? If that's case hopefully it's just for the area they were showing.

He was just commenting on that specific section.

Deadstar

Looks really awesome. I want to get this on pc but I wish there was a better way to use my ps3 controller rather than motionjoy.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Just noticed that in the mansion of the dragons, he minimises the hud from showing all the weapons to just the items. Cool little feature
On second watch it seems that if you stand still long enough it goes smaller so you can see more

Vire

Am I imagining this? In the preview screenshot the lighting looks completely fine.

In the IGN stream video it looks completely fucked.

What's the deal?

MDf1atg.jpg

UksaDeK.png

Salsa

Kinda early to call that. There are parallels to both of those in the previous games. (In fact, the "Dragon comes to life and attacks you if you pick up the item right in front of it" is straight out of Dark Souls.

ah, true enough. Guess im mostly refering to the bridge scene. The scope of that + the moving camera angles + the player character reacting like that felt very different and more like a show-off sequence.

You could argue that its similar to the dragon burning the wide bridge on Dark Souls 1 but it still felt decidely different.

Again, im not trying to bring this up as a bad thing at all. Im sure the solutions to those situations are very open-ended and that you can still tackle the game in many different ways. Just that it looks like a bigger budget (allegedly? or do we know this for sure?) gave them room to go huge on presentation and wowing the player simply from a "look at this sequence" standpoint.

mxgt

Banned
Anyone else kind of annoyed that they've now seen the chariot thing?

Would be great experiencing that without knowing. I'd shit myself.

Oh well, only myself to blame

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kinda early to call that. There are parallels to both of those in the previous games. The "Dragon comes to life and attacks you if you pick up the item right in front of it" is straight out of Dark Souls. Also, the very first boss in Dark Souls breaks through a wall to attack you regardless of what you do; this enemy, which only attacks if provoked, is actually a step away from that.
Doing this in Dark Souls was simple risk and reward. Taking the item created an enemy. This just seemed like a jump scare kind of thing.

Top Bottom