• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II - First review

I dont get the hate, or dissmay (SP?) for respec. It's not like it will stop people from playing again and again and again. Bosses are only one time per walkthrough. You can respec as many times as you want, but that doesnt make ng++++++++ useless.

Bottom line is all nay sayers should stop talking for everyone, and start talking for themselves.

Its really amusing how because of some qol improvements the game is suddenly easier.

Did you all play the game because you had to go through it several times, or because you actually liked going through it?

Noone here gave 500 hours of their life to the game because that was neccessary. You did it because it was awesome and engaging. It was scary and exilirating (again, sp??). It was hard and rewarding after a couple of time. It wasn't hard after 100 hours, yet you still put 400 more into it.

Also, One big oversight in dark souls was that npcs could be affected by suMmoned players. Actually had 25 hours wasted because of this.

OrigiNull

Lol, I was poking fun even if I do think it should be in the game. Either way, not a big deal

I'd like the option for pause in offline mode. I'm getting a puppy the week the game comes out and foresee many emergency bathroom breaks that will leave my character standing unattended :(

Bedlam

Bottom line is all nay sayers should stop talking for everyone, and start talking for themselves.
No one said he's talking for everyone.

Its really amusing how because of some qol improvements the game is suddenly easier.
No one said he dislikes those features because they make the game easier.

Seriously, guys like you need to stop putting words in our mouths.

Noone here gave 500 hours of their life to the game because that was neccessary. You did it because it was awesome and engaging. It was scary and exilirating (again, sp??). It was hard and rewarding after a couple of time. It wasn't hard after 100 hours, yet you still put 400 more into it.
Exactly. However, the character development for me was particularly engaging because of the permanent nature, because my decisions mattered (contrary to Diablo 3, for example, where respeccing made the character development boring as shit). Moreover, Blighttown was exhilarating and scary because I couldn't warp out at the bonfire.

JeTmAn81

I'm surprised there hasn't been a mod for the PC version of Dark Souls 1 that lets you pause and save anywhere.

puzl

Banned
I'd like the option for pause in offline mode. I'm getting a puppy the week the game comes out and foresee many emergency bathroom breaks that will leave my character standing unattended :(

Oh don't worry, he won't be unattended. Hur. HUR. HUHAUHAUIAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHA!!!!!!!!

OrigiNull

Oh don't worry, he won't be unattended. Hur. HUR. HUHAUHAUIAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHA!!!!!!!!

Its fine because my Xb360 Dark Souls 2 is just training for when the PC version comes out and she'll be a full grown dog by then probably....

Orayn

Its fine because my Xb360 Dark Souls 2 is just training for when the PC version comes out and she'll be a full grown dog by then probably....

PC version is coming weeks after the console version, not months. The Japanese Dark Souls II page says by the end of March, and Bamco is slated to give us the actual date soon.

VoidZero

Banned
How dare you
wrestling_she_madv5sjs.gif

Toxi

Banned
Also, One big oversight in dark souls was that npcs could be affected by suMmoned players. Actually had 25 hours wasted because of this.
While I'm starting to think that a limited pause function in offline mode wouldn't be a bad thing for people who get phone calls in situations like boss battles (Just gotta make sure it can't be spammed and doesn't let you access items), the game constantly saves. You can avoid leaving your character unattended by quitting the game and you'll show up in the exact same place when you reload.
I'm surprised there hasn't been a mod for the PC version of Dark Souls 1 that lets you pause and save anywhere.
DSFix includes a pause with F5 iirc. It's meant for screenshots, but it works any other time too.

I dont get the hate, or dissmay (SP?) for respec. It's not like it will stop people from playing again and again and again. Bosses are only one time per walkthrough. You can respec as many times as you want, but that doesnt make ng++++++++ useless.

Did you all play the game because you had to go through it several times, or because you actually liked going through it?

i put prob around 300 hours into Dark Souls mostly from restarting and making different build. If given the option, I would have loved to shave 100 hours off of that I spent doing monotonous things

OrigiNull

PC version is coming weeks after the console version, not months. The Japanese Dark Souls II page says by the end of March, and Bamco is slated to give us the actual date soon.

I was joking....as clearly she will be long dead and so will I by the time that pc version hits. Heck the sun might have swallowed up the earth by then...

But seriously, if it hits weeks after I will be very very surprised. I fully expect a couple months which normally would not be a huge deal but with a game like this I don't want to miss that initial rush of discovery.

Horns

If you don't want any online interaction, then play in offline mode. I'm not sure why we have to repeat this over and over, but it seems some people really can't grasp the concept of a multiplayer game having multiple players in it.

I have played offline, but I much prefer the player messages, ghosts of dead players, world tendencies and being able to interact with friends online.

FROM should be able to balance future Souls games to accommodate the needs of both SP and MP players.

Horns

I have kids and this has actually happened to me. The best you can do is quit to the menu, but in the case of puppies (or babies for me) that's not realistic.

I lost 100k souls in Demon's Souls when my oldest woke one night screaming her head off.

While I'm starting to think that a limited pause function in offline mode wouldn't be a bad thing for people who get phone calls in situations like boss battles (Just gotta make sure it can't be spammed and doesn't let you access items), the game constantly saves. You can avoid leaving your character unattended by quitting the game and you'll show up in the exact same place when you reload.

Did you quote the wrong post? that has nothing to do with my issue.

soqquatto

YOU CAN PAUSE BOTH DEMON'S SOULS AND DARK SOULS

just select "Quit". you exit the game world and everything gets saved. when reloading your game you re-enter at the same place (not at the bonfire/nexus) and everything around you is in the same state as when you quit - killed enemies, item lying on the ground (not 100% sure about this) and so on.

Shinjica

I have played offline, but I much prefer the player messages, ghosts of dead players, world tendencies and being able to interact with friends online.

FROM should be able to balance future Souls games to accommodate the needs of both SP and MP players.

You cannot have your wife drunk and the whisky barrel full

Fhtagn

It's also possible to quit faster than you die from falling off the rafters in Anor Londo.

I can't quite do that reliably, but if you practice it's easy to quit in seconds. easier than finding a safe place to linger away from keyboard.

Soodanim

Gold Member
The only thing I'm not 100% sure about being behind is the ability to be invaded while hollow, because that forces interacting with human players. Human players that could easily do what they did in DS1 and wait with lightning weapons by the first church bell. Playing offline isn't difficult, but it removes the ability to quickly jump between online and offline when you choose.

I'll look forward to playing this on PC, as I don't want this on PS3.
YOU CAN PAUSE BOTH DEMON'S SOULS AND DARK SOULS

just select "Quit". you exit the game world and everything gets saved. when reloading your game you re-enter at the same place (not at the bonfire/nexus) and everything around you is in the same state as when you quit - killed enemies, item lying on the ground (not 100% sure about this) and so on.

Let's not pretend that quitting is either as quick as or the same as pausing.

There's no division between SP/MP in Souls. That's been the point since day one.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Regarding respec, how rare is 'very rare' Soul vessel?

If it's only one per playthrough (maybe trade boss soul to get the item?) or as rare as pure bladestone, let the player respec. They deserve it.

Did they include a pause button yet? If not they need to

You're funny :)

Fhtagn

The only thing I'm not 100% sure about being behind is the ability to be invaded while hollow, because that forces interacting with human players. Human players that could easily do what they did in DS1 and wait with lightning weapons by the first church bell.

DS2 takes into account the total number of souls collected, etc, not just level. I suppose it's possible that some people will figure out how speed run to later tier weapons without killing anything but the essentials, but even then, they'd likely be 50k-200k souls collected ahead of new players just from boss rewards alone.

Soodanim

Gold Member
start - right - right - right - right - X = you're set

unless it's a life-death situation it's good for puppy-related emergencies.

Or even more quickly, start, left, x, up, x (IIRC). But that's neither as quick as pressing start to pause nor is loading your save again as quick as unpausing.

soqquatto

Or even more quickly, start, left, x, up, x (IIRC). But that's neither as quick as pressing start to pause nor is loading your save again as quick as unpausing.

yeah, I'm probably thinking demon's souls. it's sure more inconvenient than the standard pause, but it's strangely in tune with the rest of the game. a game that hates you. I'm perfectly fine with it, I understand other people may not think like me on this.

I'm only waiting for Starting Stats and PC System Requirements.Obviously I haven't seen those around yet.

Regarding respec, how rare is 'very rare' Soul vessel?

If it's only one per playthrough (maybe trade boss soul to get the item?) or as rare as pure bladestone, let the player respec. They deserve it.

You're funny :)
Lol, pure blade stone. It would prob be less time consuming to just start a new game.

oroboros

Glad to hear From Software made the game easier to get into this time around. Hated the first one because there was no direction and I didn't feel like wasting countless hours figuring it out. I hope the game is a lot easier. I may just pick this up during a steam sale if so.

Yes obviously but that still doesn't mean you should be punished by having to beat it with stats you find out later aren't very useful.

It's a Souls game of course you should be god damn punished. Gaming companies pandering to these types of players are the reason most modern games are already hand-holding, boring, finish it and throw it away in an afternoon bullshit or moving in that direction.

Yeah, I get it, you just wanna have fun bros and don't have the time man, so you feel entitled for not just 95% of games to cater to you but the full 100% of games ever made from here on out need to be samey fly-by-night schlock. And when someone else doesn't totally agree then your whole argument is that they are just elitists, right?

I got a bad feeling this game is going to be some middling shit with no real direction or character or SOUL because they are trying to please everyone and broadening their market. Like another Diablo 3, Street Fighter X Tekken, newer Elder Scrolls type disappointing nonsense mess. Hope I'm wrong and FROM didn't give in too bad to the pull of mediocrity.

*tips fedora*

So what you're saying is, you basically hated Dark Souls for being Dark Souls and look forward to the sequel being less Dark Souls and more Call of Fantasy Creed XI-4?

Huh? This makes no sense.

It was already explained that there is an OPTIONAL tutorial this go around. So for people like me that don't want to waste their time figuring out how the hell to play the game they have an option. How is this affecting your enjoyment of the game? I can't speak to the difficulty of the game because I didn't get far enough into it to see if it was indeed difficult. Part of me thinks that those that complain about the difficulty are like myself and just didn't waste their time trying to figure out the mechanics. The sequel should hopefully remedy this shortcoming.

soontroll

Banned

It was already explained that there is an OPTIONAL tutorial this go around. So for people like me that don't want to waste their time figuring out how the hell to play the game they have an option. How is this affecting your enjoyment of the game? I can't speak to the difficulty of the game because I didn't get far enough into it to see if it was indeed difficult. Part of me thinks that those that complain about the difficulty are like myself and just didn't waste their time trying to figure out the mechanics. The sequel should hopefully remedy this shortcoming.

There was a tutorial in DS1. Is the one in DS2 going to be different?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Why do you keep referring to learning the mechanics as a "waste of time"?

No one said he's talking for everyone.

No one said he dislikes those features because they make the game easier.

Seriously, guys like you need to stop putting words in our mouths.

Exactly. However, the character development for me was particularly engaging because of the permanent nature, because my decisions mattered (contrary to Diablo 3, for example, where respeccing made the character development boring as shit). Moreover, Blighttown was exhilarating and scary because I couldn't warp out at the bonfire.

I wasnt aiming at someoe particularly, but thanks for enforcing my point.

I played with one character for 100 hours and another character for 300 hours. That was because I needed several walkthroughs to get all the itemsI needed. Which is not obstracted in any form by respec. So no, youre point had nothing to do wiyh respec.

In Souls, we all respec for item. Its not Mass Effect.

D3stespec was the least of its problems.

Bedlam

There was? I must have missed it. From must have made it too difficult to find out how to get into the tutorial
Seriously? You start the game in the middle of a tutorial. Did you read those messages that were placed on the ground frequently after you leave your cell?

So no, youre point had nothing to do wiyh respec
It had everything to do with respeccing and I don't know what point of yours you think my post supposedly reinforced.

Top Bottom