• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II - First review

Warping being available from the beginning and all vendors being in the same spot will mean the game can never reach the heights of Dark Souls for me. Multidimensional level design is my favorite thing in videogames, and every element that you remove from having to consider with the level design so as to make the design of the game more compartmentalized and convenient, the less potential it has to be an integrated artful whole.

And yes, some sort of PvP "dream" mode where you can respec I wouldn't mind, but if you can't screw your character up you can't succeed either.

Have you played Demon's Souls?

Orayn

Warping being available from the beginning and all vendors being in the same spot will mean the game can never reach the heights of Dark Souls for me. Multidimensional level design is my favorite thing in videogames, and every element that you remove from having to consider with the level design so as to make the design of the game more compartmentalized and convenient, the less potential it has to be an integrated artful whole.

And yes, some sort of PvP "dream" mode where you can respec I wouldn't mind, but if you can't screw your character up you can't succeed either.

Pretty sure the merchants in Majula aren't the only ones in the game, just the main ones. Seems like it's taking another page from Demon's Souls in that regard.

takoyaki

Thanks a lot, added to OP.

sure thing, I'm a big Souls fan myself. I just got back home and went over my translation again. Some Gaffers seem to worry about the soul vessel. The direct quote is

"The very rare Soul Vessel gives the player the choice of resetting all skill points and allocate them all over again"

this makes it sound like the item is a lot rarer than human effigy or other rare drops. In my opinion, this is a great way of adding replayability in NG+ and other than the new weapon upgrading system, this will probably be my favorite improvement.

One other thing I forgot to mention: If you invade other players a lot and they defeat you repeatedly, the invader's HP can drop below the 50% mark when in hollow form.

That should be all of the interesting stuff from the review, March can't come soon enough ;-)

takoyaki

Pretty sure the merchants in Majula aren't the only ones in the game, just the main ones. Seems like it's taking another page from Demon's Souls in that regard.

Yep, I think I mentioned that. The most important seem to be in Majula, but the review makes it sound like other, less crucial ones, are (hidden?) in the game world or that there might even be another central hub-like place.

the direct quote is

"the important shopkeepers/teachers are gathered at a central spot or at least near a bonfire. Long, in many cases dangerous walks just to buy a specific spell are largely a thing of the past."

orborborb

Have you played Demon's Souls?

Yeah I played an imported copy way back when, and while it was my favorite PS3 game at the time, I don't think I even got halfway through it. I just never got sucked into it the way I did with Dark Souls, which fixed and improved upon all the things that bothered me about Demon's Souls, most notably the level design and lore and healing and magic mechanics, but also the encounters were just so much more varied and fun. I can understand people who prefer some of the music or PvP elements of Demon's Souls, but the few times I've gone back to try it recently it really feels like an incomplete draft. King's Field IV held up better for me.

a respec option is a good thing

besides, everyone who might feel this is a bad thing, it's optional so you don't HAVE to use it

game might turn out very good, hell, maybe even better than DS1, which should be a real reason to rejoice

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

besides, everyone who might feel this is a bad thing, it's optional so you don't HAVE to use it

game might turn out very good, hell, maybe even better than DS1, which should be a real reason to rejoice

Wait for people going at you saying this.

"It ruins the philosophy and challenge of the game and it is designed to be used"

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Wait for people going at you saying this.

"It ruins the philosophy and challenge of the game and it is designed to be used"

That's normally true when you talk about things like fast travel affecting quest design, and things like that... but the respec is one of those things where you really can just ignore it.

As far as respec, I would be happiest if it was limited to a PvP covenant, or at least held back until near the end of the game.

Just because bonfire warping is available from the start doesn't mean the game can't have a dense, interconnected world with interesting shortcuts. I can see why you're concerned that From won't bother designing as complicated a world as DkS's (the record on unlimited fast-travel is not a great one) when they know players can always warp from place to place, but let's wait and see if they actually cop out before we decide that early warping limited the game's potential.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
The series is too popular now. It's practically Mountain Dew status at this point.

It'll need some 7's to balance out the newfound popularity.

I am thinking of diving into this despite only being part way through Dark Souls. I am going to find it hard to figure out where I left off, and I'd be starting with a clean slate here.

I made it my mission to finish Demon's Souls before starting Dark Souls, and I never wavered. Not sure I can be as strong this time.

Decado

I've still barely played Dark Souls. Really wanted to see better combat feedback in DS2; wounds, dismembering etc. Not going to happen with a T-rating, though :(

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
First, I think part of the problem is the way we classify difficulty. Dark Souls is "tough", but it's only really hard if you're impatient. Taking your time and being patient with your travels and understanding the superb game mechanics results in a game that is harder than the average title to be sure, but is easily conquerable.

Second, a real challenge is absolutely something worthy of praise. In today's hold-your-hand glowing arrow snorefests of modern game design, titles that respect its audience intelligence are exceedingly rare. Demon/Dark Souls respects its audience enough to not hold their hand, allows gamers to take the time to learn their skills as they feel comfortable, and to not have to guide them through each location. Similarly, beating a game that is legitimately challenging is one of the best feelings offered in the gaming world - and is simply peerless in terms of the reward one feels for beating its contents. Designing a game with an appropriate level of difficulty - one where when you die you almost always blame your own failure to apply what you've learned - is incredibly hard, and virtually no developers these days even attempt it.

I like your posts.

Your videos on DSII are pretty much the reason why I fear for the game.

This. Or at least the final bits of his preview part 2. A lot of what he said about bonfires, art direction, and even the tutorial had me worried and crushed a lot of my hype. This is definitely a game I'm waiting on reviews for now instead of pre-ordering blind.

spliced

Thanks for the write up takoyaki.

So happy to see npc summons are back, I love playing around with them, I hope they have good range. I thought it was really cool how they gave each of them their own style.

I'm glad upgrading is more user friendly, I don't think making upgrading a hassle added anything good to DS1.

takoyaki

OK, I'm getting a bit OCD here, but whatever, it's Dark Souls. Most of those things are probably known already, but for completions sake:

Mgames only reviewed the PS3 version of the game, so everything having to to with stable performance and some muddy textures might not apply to the 360 Version

the shopkeepers and teacher gather at Majula over time, so I guess you have to find most of them initially (like DS1)

The level-design is a healthy mix of open areas and more linear areas (like DS1)

torches consume firewood, if you run out of firewood, your torch goes out.

just to be clear: you can only fast-travel between bonfires that you've been to before (like DS1)

you can only summon in human form (like DS1)

The info-bar with the 90%, sound, etc. says "up to 4 players online" (e.g. you, your two co-op buddies and another spot for an invader)

you play co-op until you defeat the area boss or "until you die" (this part may refer to all three co-op players or only the summoning player him/herself, you can read the German text both ways)

you can carry up to 4 rings and more weapons, but "Stamina" and "Max Equip Load" are now two different stats that have to be leveled up individually

Like I said, pretty much old news. BUT
there is one sentence that you can read two ways. The reviewer calls the decision to only allow leveling-up at Emerald Herald a bit backwards (I'd agree if you look at all the other streamlining that From has made to the formula). He goes on to say "But maybe there might be a hidden item lying in wait that will give the player the ability to level up himself" It's pretty vague, but I get the sense that he's hinting at something without wanting to spoil it.

My theory would be that this seemingly backwards decision is clever, slightly manipulative game-design. You get to know the Emerald Herald better over the first half of the game, begin to grow fond of her (good feeling of leveling up, getting to know a bit more of her back-story) and than she either gets killed of taken prisoner and it's up to you to avenge/save her. On that occasion , you'll probably get her soul/beloved pendant that gives you the ability of leveling up yourself.

That was either a Spoiler of some bad Fanfiction, I guess we'll know in a few weeks ;-)

Garcia

"Stamina" and "Max Equip Load" are now two different stats that have to be leveled up individually

Brutal. Now you have to plan out even more carefully your build in order to wear good equipment early or get a significant advantage during fights with a little bit of extra stamina.

I like it, it sounds like it's going to be much harder to master than DS1.

Shinjica

"The very rare Soul Vessel gives the player the choice of resetting all skill points and allocate them all over again"

What if the Soul Vessel is simply the Lord Vessel from Dark Souls 1 and you find it in the same place you drop it in the first game?

we'll be a very nice connection

In the first review they say nothing about negative thing in the game or is, like every review who come out early, they tell us only the good part?

Bedlam

As far as respec, I would be happiest if it was limited to a PvP covenant, or at least held back until near the end of the game.
I can't wait to play DS2 and I'm sure I'm going to like it a lot, but I'm with you. Both as far as warping and respeccing goes.

For people concerned about respecing, you know you can respec in Demon Souls, right?
In a very roundabout, uncomfortable way. It's different than making it a convenient feature.

The "you don't have to use it" reasoning was always bs. I'm not playing a game to make up my own rules. It's the same as with the quicksave option, which in my opinion ruined shooters on PC. "You don't have to use it" some people always said. Yeah, I could do that but I'm still thinking about it because it's there. I don't want to have to think about it.

Let's hope the soul vessel is indeed a very rare occurance (I somehow doubt it).

Finding the blacksmith Vamos by complete chance was on of those OH SHIT, NOW THAT NOISE MAKES SENSE moment!

Going back to him to get the trophy for chaos weapons wasn't that "convenient" I think I would prefer the NPCs scattered like DeS and DrS!

Bedlam

Just because bonfire warping is available from the start doesn't mean the game can't have a dense, interconnected world with interesting shortcuts. I can see why you're concerned that From won't bother designing as complicated a world as DkS's (the record on unlimited fast-travel is not a great one) when they know players can always warp from place to place, but let's wait and see if they actually cop out before we decide that early warping limited the game's potential.
I predict that many people won't find the world in DS2 as cohesive and fascinating as in DS. And it's not because of the world design but because of warping being available from the start. It prevents a sense of familiarity from building up. In DS, the more you backtracked and traversed the world, the better you understood how everything is connected and you got a great sense of its scale. It did require some time to realize what an achievement DS' world design was. Now, with people basically eliminating backtracking, that effect won't be as intense I suppose.

Also, the whole "journey" aspect which several commenters and writers brough up is not wrong either. Getting to places or out of places in DS was often meaningful.

Well to be fair, backtracking never made people realize how genius the world design was. Going up from Blighttown to New Londo and back to Firelink did.
For me the sense of place that built up through backtracking was certainly a huge part of why I found the world so fascinating.

Steez

I predict that many people won't find the world in DS2 as cohesive and fascinating as in DS. And it's not because of the world design but because of warping being available from the start. It prevents a sense of familiarity from building up. In DS, the more you backtracked and traversed the world, the better you understood how everything is connected and you got a great sense of its scale. It did require some time to realize what an achievement DS' world design was. Now, with people basically eliminating backtracking, that effect won't be as intense I suppose.

Also, the whole "journey" aspect which several commenters and writers brough up is not wrong either. Getting to places or out of places in DS was often meaningful.

Well to be fair, backtracking never made people realize how genius the world design was. Going up from Blighttown to New Londo and back to Firelink did.

sirap

best part of dark souls was stumbling into an area you just know you're not ready for. Shit was intense, especially if you end up getting lost and have no option but to push on. Butt clenching experience.

Bedlam

best part of dark souls was stumbling into an area you just know you're not ready for. Shit was intense, especially if you end up getting lost and have no option but to push on. Butt clenching experience.
Yep, those were among my favorite moments in DS. Being stuck in areas that were so terrifying, you just wanted to get out of there. And finally getting out was the best thing ever.

I really hope that DS2 manages to evoke these feelings again despite warping available from the start.

Man can't wait to go on another epic journey with this game. Most of the stuff I am worried about if for PvP but we shall see soon. Some of the areas look amazing like the forst area or that Iron city, or the castle of Drakes. Oh and I love the idea that they made the hub a beautiful seaside town where you can talk to all the NPC's. That area looks amazing and reminds me of the Nexus. I shall remember now to kill any NPC I see who wields a shotel ;)

Randam

Yea, but they did say that you have to go visit a blacksmith if your equipment is broken though. That could carry a hefty price if you let your equipment get to that point or if there is an equivalent of the Scraping Spear out there.

you can warp between bonfires from the beginning..
so no consequences.

man, i know, there are a lot of people, who like warping from the beginning and all the npcs/blacksmithes and vendors at the hub area, but for me, it destroys a lot.

- fighting your way through areas to get to a vendor/blacksmith. (giant blacksmith, crestfallen merchant, vamos, dregling merchant, filthy man and womon in demon's)

- fighting your way into an area, your not supposed to be yet and then having to fight your way all the way back out of it.(had that with the tomb of giants. ended up in front of the yellow fog-gate.)

- and also getting your equipment destroyed.
in dark souls you had to fight your way back to the nearest blacksmith, with no armor/a weak weapon if you didn't have an other upgraded one with you.
now you just warp back to the hub area.

Steez

Not every vendor is going to be in Majula. Calm down, people. And getting to Ed, Vamos or the Giant didn't really require any fighting. Just running around or falling through a bunch of holes.

And I personally love the change in the repair mechanic. Let's be honest, buying a repair box and spending chump change in bunch of menus wasn't challenging, rewarding or deep. It was annoying and tiresome.

The only time where you had to fight your way through to a blacksmith for repairs was in the Burg or Parish and it's virtually impossible to break your stuff at that point. Not to mention that there is a blacksmith right below Firelink, lol.

Warping being available from the beginning and all vendors being in the same spot will mean the game can never reach the heights of Dark Souls for me.
Well, it was always a pain in the ass having to run to Vamos or the giant blacksmith. If they're in the same place or not vendors should be sitting on a warp point like Andre.

Steez

i bet there were a lot of people with broke katanas down in blighttown.

If somebody got a Katana by killing the Burg merchant then they probably knew about the existence of repair boxes.

edit: Oh, and I don't think anybody mentioned it, but there's an interesting item in the Peter Serafinowicz video.

Bone of Order - Restores the link to other worlds.

yuraya

you can re-spec your character via an item called “soul vessel”. It’s a rare item, but it will let you re-spec all your skill points

Glad they put this in. One thing I hated about the first is you couldn't respec. I hope the item isn't too rare lol

Top Bottom