• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

halfbeast

Banned
OT3? wooo! celebration!

tumblr_n3bjpqax7C1rcyjwzo1_400.gif

oh shi...

Best thread title ever.
I was kind of disappointed last night when she started saying something else...

Nearing the end of my first playthrough. Love the game so much. Do wish I could find a weapon I liked more than the mace I started with though. I've taken it to plus ten, and it smites fools left and right, but it's no looker. Just can't seem to give it up...

Hey Gaf,

Been playing DSII and have been loving it thus far; however, I'm rather skeptical of how I've been leveling my attributes. Was hoping I could get some feedback to make sure I'm on the right track.

My Soul Level is 110. I wear heavy armor (Drangleic), Tower Shiled +8, and Fire Lonsword +10.

My ring set is: Chloranthy, Royal Soldier's Ring, Ring of Binding, and Flame Quartz Ring (This one alternates depending on the resistance I need).

Attributes:

VGR - 8 END - 20 VIT - 25 ATN - 5 STR - 50 DEX - 40 ADP - 5 INT - 5 FTH - 5

Play Time: 72 hrs - PS: I haven't used a single spell, mainly because I was wanted to get a pure melee play through.

Anyways, feedback is appreciated since this is the farthest I have ever gotten in any Demon / Dark Souls Game.

Thanks!

Your ADP seems kinda high, but the jury is still out on its true worth. Maybe up your Vigor since it is quite low for a melee build, but if you can handle things so far with HP that low, it might turn into easy mode with higher VGR.

Why so much ATN if no spells?

For your first time, play how you like and experiment.

Your ADP seems kinda high, but the jury is still out on its true worth. Maybe up your Vigor since it is quite low for a melee build, but if you can handle things so far with HP that low, it might turn into easy mode with higher VGR.

I think you're misreading his stats. It says 40 dex and 5 ADP.

2AdEPT

Reposted from old OT:

Anyone want to help me out in the copse right now? I am recording for my let's play mostly, but I want to record a showcase of the dead again hex..it is by far the coolest magic for me in all three souls games. It allows you to incinerate foes who come close to dead bodies. It does not stack, but does 800 damage per body even with my low character who has not fully upgraded any staff or chime etc. He does have 35 faith and 20 INT however. Obviously I have already kited numerous hollows over to the bridge to the Torturer Tunnel, kited the torturers out of there and incinerated them in two casts (the OHK is possible I just didn't time it right the first time to get all at once.) I recorded this part already, and will link it when published, but still want to do record a couple invasions....its just that there are no red signs consistently in the copse right now with this character at such low level..he is only level 95 or so with a SM of 800K. I also want to do a showcase of how to use Dead Again for the chariot boss, i.e. use dead skellies to kill the chariot BEFORE the lever is even pulled....there are lots of hosts to just pick up and help, but it would require one or two helpers that know what they are doing and preferably have the spell equipped also, as to cover more area once the necromancers are dead, and who would not kill the boss any other way than what is intended, just using Dead Again, once all skellies are finished. Pretty sure my chariot boss is still alive and I can be the host.

Anyone interested in being a sacrificial lamb as an invader or being a highly composed Dead Again helper either PM me or simply friend me on PSN:
adepterik2

Zierlaz

Neo Member

Why so much ATN if no spells?

Thanks Orthogonal,

I think the way I wrote the post was confusing.

Here are my stats:
VGR - 8
END - 20
VIT - 25
ATN - 5
STR - 50
DEX - 40
ADP - 5
INT - 5
FTH - 5

I think I am going to do a hex build. Is it better to lean more on faith or Int as the primary stat. I guess what I'm asking is what are the pro's and con's of either? I've never done a mage build before so I don't know how they play.

Trying to avoid spoilers best I can, so far I've played the first 2 hours or so (mostly exploring forest of the giants for loot) on a friend's copy, waiting for the glorious 25th.

So far I've looked at all the weapons (to see the scaling), looks like most of the weapon scaling is the same this go around. I learned that strike damage is effective through the first part of the game, but I'm going to stick with my plan to power stance two battle axes my first go around. Second time through I'm interesting in doing a faith halberd build. Unsure what to I'll do after that, maybe a sorc build or dex/archery build.

E92 M3

Trying to avoid spoilers best I can, so far I've played the first 2 hours or so (mostly exploring forest of the giants for loot) on a friend's copy, waiting for the glorious 25th.

So far I've looked at all the weapons (to see the scaling), looks like most of the weapon scaling is the same this go around. I learned that strike damage is effective through the first part of the game, but I'm going to stick with my plan to power stance two battle axes my first go around. Second time through I'm interesting in doing a faith halberd build. Unsure what to I'll do after that, maybe a sorc build or dex/archery build.

While everyone does their best to cover spoilers - sometimes small things spill out. I'd recommend you not visit this OT too much until you beat the game. If you're sensitive to spoilers like me.

Thanks Orthogonal,

I think the way I wrote the post was confusing.

Here are my stats:
VGR - 8
END - 20
VIT - 25
ATN - 5
STR - 50
DEX - 40
ADP - 5
INT - 5
FTH - 5

I dabbled in pyromancy on my STR build and its easy to use. Get your ATN to 10 or use a Southern ritual band to get slots. Upgrade your flame and add a few twists to your build.

Anyone know if the Chaos Rapier is any good?

I dumped quite a few skill points into faith thinking I had it in my item box only to find out I didn't. I'm only asking because I'm about to give up on it, as I swear it does not wanna drop, especially after going through like 6 bonfire aesthetics for it. I might just flip if I see one more Malformed Skull.

deim0s

Finished the game the other day,
I just went in and sat on the throne. Would killing Vendrick would alter the ending? Can you have a choice at all?

Quick question, can you farm soul vessels? Effigies?

Yay! Best title won \o/

Also, I'm wrapping up NG+ and I have one dragon left to kill in Dragon Aerie. How do you guys take out these dragons, I've always done so from afar with bow/poison/magic. But there's one that I can't find a good vantage point on and the fire is a one-shot kill. Are they melee-able? I've never dared approach one!

Souls Vessels yes, it's kind of long winded you have to
use a bonfire ascetic on the 4th Forest of Fallen Giants bonfire to respawn the Giant Lord in the memories areas, one of them has a soul vessel and there's a couple of ascetics to be had too. You have to kill the boss each time.

Effigies - farm from enemies. The lizards in Shrine of Amana, the dogs in the Bastille, a few others. I've always farmed Shrine of Amana and I've always had a healthy stock. My current end of NG+ character has 99 in the item box and about 65 carrying.

Riddler

Finished the game the other day,
I just went in and sat on the throne. Would killing Vendrick would alter the ending? Can you have a choice at all?

Nope, same for all, to answer your spoiler.

I think I am going to do a hex build. Is it better to lean more on faith or Int as the primary stat. I guess what I'm asking is what are the pro's and con's of either? I've never done a mage build before so I don't know how they play.

I'd say keep them at the same level. That's what I did with my hex build, but only if it's strictly a hex build. I mean, if you're gonna be using a melee weapon in conjunction with hexes(aside from like a dagger or something) I'd recommend focusing on faith instead. Mainly for that amazing Great Resonant Soul spell. Also, I find miracles to be a lot more useful than sorceries, especially with Great Lightning Spear, Emit Force/WotG, and Great Heal.

Finally got the Ring of Blades +2, earlier. ;)
I got it today too. But I cheated by
getting cursed, causing one of them to disappear. I actually almost killed both on my first try, but then about 10 times after that I was chopped liver, so went for the blue sword as soon as I could, lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't played in a little over a week after beating it once on PS3 and dabbling in NG+ a bit.

I'm super excited to pick it up again with the PC release, though.

Kevtones

I didn't pay attention and did the covenant of champions from the beginning as a deprived. Game was pretty damn tough. I got all the way to the Ruin Sentinels, beat them after like 20 tries and read online about it.

I then left the Covenant and have been skating through everything with a Falchion +7. Actually killed The Lost Sinner after the Ruin Sentinels. Pretty sure my order is out of wack and I've killed 5-6 other bosses without trouble. 3-4 of them on the first try, no less. Game seems pretty easy now.

Alric

3rd OT already, we are burning through these things, just like Human Effigys while fighting Darklurker.

Dresden

Yay! Best title won \o/

Also, I'm wrapping up NG+ and I have one dragon left to kill in Dragon Aerie. How do you guys take out these dragons, I've always done so from afar with bow/poison/magic. But there's one that I can't find a good vantage point on and the fire is a one-shot kill. Are they melee-able? I've never dared approach one!

You can just get between its legs and melee 'em down from there.

LiK

Worst thing about the Dark Chasms are the stupid ledges. I keep dying by falling or being pushed off. :(

I honestly dont understand how it's possible to win as a Hex mage in pvp. Everyone just wrecks the shit out of me, it's not even fun. I use all tips and I still get wrecked every single time.

Like today none of my spells did any damage whatsoever to this guy. if it hit, it did no damage, and he just one shots me.

it's like this everytime. My spells just do jack shit damage. It baffles me how people are able to win at pvp.

Honest to god, I should get the title: worst Dark Souls 2 PVPer. 12 invasions-0 wins. only 1 invasion did I even hurt the host.

Worst thing about the Dark Chasms are the stupid ledges. I keep dying by falling or being pushed off. :(

Me too. To make it worse I'm on NG+ and decided to try to max the dark covenant...and apparently chose the "hardest" one to start with. I'm either falling to my death or getting smashed into pulp (Havel...).

Top Bottom