• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

It's funny that in terms of build, I've come full circle. In Demon's Souls, I felt magic was a wee bit overpowered. You could kill most invaders with one shot of Firestorm and a couple whacks from a Dragon Longsword if they had any health left. Warding made bosses like Flamelurker much easier, and even the Soul Arrow spells hit like tanks.

In Dark Souls, magic got pretty nerfed imo, and I played as a tank. Fully-upgraded Giant Armor and the Black Knight weapons felt pretty unstoppable. But I missed magic.

What's awesome about DSII for me is how versatile I can be in my approach to enemies or PVP. I played through NG as basically my tank character from DSI with Gyrm Warrior armor, a Gyrm shield, and a Gyrm Hammer getting me through most tough situations. But the bosses. . . they were a bitch. Esp Freya and Demon of Song type bosses.

Well, for NG+, I started leveling up FTH/INT, and I loved being a hexer (and now a badass miracle caster with my +5 Dragon Charm—thank you Darklurker). Hitting with GRS for 1300 and Sunlight Spear for even more feels amazing, and makes bosses, well, probably a little too easy. But damn, I love putting down my summon sign for the Mirror Knight fight or the Watcher/Defender fight and thinking, hmmm, what do I want to use today. Chaos Storm when I'm not agroed? Great Lighting Spear and a few whacks from my Crypt Blacksword? Scraps of Life on the sly followed by King's Ultra Greatsword to the face?

Sure, magic does feel a little OP, and I can't imagine what it was like before the nerf to use Flame Swathe and Wrath of the Gods. You can't really dominate as a tank in DSII for PVE in the same way that you can with magic. But damn, if you're a level 250+ caster, you should be frigging Gandalf.

"Magic"

I don't think I've completed a successful parry during my entire first playthrough.
RGt54.png

Probably twice at most if I ever did.

maomaoIYP

PvP players who like sorcery really owe it to themselves to make the power stancing dual blue flame build. It's the most fun build I've played yet.

Soulhouf

I payed a visit to the pardoner to buy some of his stuff and he offered me to absolve my sins. I was like WTF? I didn't attack any NPC. Ok let's absolve.
Turned out because I did aggro the Ancient Dragon.
Makes sense since he didn't attack me.

I really feel bad for attacking him. I don't want to kill such a beauty. Hopefully this is the last time I do this :(

PvP players who like sorcery really owe it to themselves to make the power stancing dual blue flame build. It's the most fun build I've played yet.

I'm a few hours into my sorcerer character and I'm going to aim for this. Is it possible to get blue flame before undead crypt? Also, is it a both a good weapon and a good catalyst or is it pretty weak, but just has the benefit of being both a weapon and a catalyst?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Trying a no death run is just too stressful. There's a million things that can go wrong at any moment. Everything was going pretty well and I was about to attempt my first boss of the run but I just got invaded by some ass at heide that had high level armor and a back stab took almost nothing off his life.
Why in the seven hells would you do a no death run online? Come on lol.

Farming for that twinkling, though... :(

I killed Ancient Dragon and Targray, and my sin tax is 175k
You're level 175....

maomaoIYP

I'm a few hours into my sorcerer character and I'm going to aim for this. Is it possible to get blue flame before undead crypt? Also, is it a both a good weapon and a good catalyst or is it pretty weak, but just has the benefit of being both a weapon and a catalyst?

You have to farm them from undead crypt. So I had a pure sorcerer until I cleared the game and respec-ed to this build for PvP. It's both a good weapon and good catalyst because infusion and crystal magic weapon boosts weapon attacks as well as spell casts. Individual swings aren't too overwhelmingly powerful, but the powerstancing L2 is amazing. Also because they are light they swing really fast and are great for pokes and combos.
Farming for that twinkling, though... :(
I only farmed 5 pieces! I ended NG with 25 twinkling so 5 pieces from Amana was painless.

2AdEPT

Why did you have to go through all that. There are water vases in this very same room, up on the platform near where the mimic item box used to be.
I had no idea those vases did it as well!!! I now recall hitting those bastards earlier before even thought of the lockstone pools and thinking "what's the point?" at the time[facepalms]......I am doing a relatively BLIND play-through....thanks for the tips! I try to figure it all out on my own as much as possible (with the exception of finding NPC summon spots) but am not a tip nazi....its just impossible to figure it all out without the community......I have another character at that spot, so even though he is more hex focused and wont use it much he can still perform an easier version...I will put it up right away and reference your tip in the vid in order to give proper credit.

Being a Bell Keeper is pretty fun until you get multiple summoning failed in a row. One guy trolled me and another Grey by hiding in the room you have to drop down to, after casting Chameleon. Took a long time before we found him. That was pretty creative and fun. Once I was summoned to this really cool area on a rooftop in sunlight. So I guess there's another belltower? Anyway, I nearly have all the kills I need for the spell, so it's soon time to move on. This covenant is a lot more fun than the Forest one in the first game.

Being a Bell Keeper is pretty fun until you get multiple summoning failed in a row. One guy trolled me and another Grey by hiding in the room you have to drop down to, after casting Chameleon. Took a long time before we found him. That was pretty creative and fun. Once I was summoned to this really cool area on a rooftop in sunlight. So I guess there's another belltower? Anyway, I nearly have all the kills I need for the spell, so it's soon time to move on. This covenant is a lot more fun than the Forest one in the first game.

Yep Luna and Sol.

Frodo

So I reallocated my levels to test a "mundane build" but I guess now I'm too spoiled from my last build with high FTH to enjoy this one.

The only thing I noticed is that Agility does seem to change things a bit. My character now chugs a Estus Flask in no time, and dodging seems easier. Or maybe I'm just getting better? lol

At what level does Adaptability make the character chug his flask at a satisfying speed ? I haven't put any points in it and he's drinking it pretty slowly.

And in the ultimate FROM troll ...

If you think about it you don't actually want the platinum ...

A real badass would have every trophy except
This is Dark Souls.

Gigarator

Lost Sinner
on NG+ is no joke. Took me a couple of goes until I realised it was gonna be easier to just leave the phantoms alive, keep track of where they are and play the waiting game with the boss.

Tense fight, can't say I'm looking forward to doing it again in ++

I invaded a guy in Earthen Peak. He was two-handing a heavy weapon and fat rolling. Seriously, if you are going without a shield, at least make sure to have decent mobility. He stood no chance. I almost felt a bit sorry for him.

Been doing a lot of summoning for NG+ just for fun and to get through it quick and man there are some useless phantoms at the Rotten. Hot pyromancy dude doing like 50 damage per hit.

4 useless ranged phantoms in a row, wth is going on. I'm better off focusing on the fight and just doin it myself.

Edit: Ok one-shot him myself.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yesterday I farmed some sunlight medals at Smelter and I always groan whenever someone summons an additional phantom, because the fight takes much longer since the boss's defense is buffed (even worse when it's Lucatiel as opposed to a high-damage phantom).

I also saw the most pathetic host too. He was wearing the hollow soldier armour (why), and chucking... fireballs at Smelter. The small ones. That's right, throwing fireballs at a FIRE DEMON MADE OF FIRE IN A FIERY LAVA-FILLED DUNGEON. Needless to say his fireballs barely scratched him while my lightning spears did all the heavy lifting. Poor guy, he's obviously only getting through the game via coop.

I also often saw melee hosts stand back and barely do any token attacks on the boss, leaving me and/or another phantom to do all the damage. I can't imagine how that would feel fun or satisfying.

Grinchy

Banned
Is it just me or is this the easiest platinum trophy to get out of the Souls series? I guess I haven't done the sorceries/miracles/hexes/pyromancy trophies yet, but they are the only ones I have left and I'm only at like 70 hours in my save file.

DeS and DS1 had me printing off checklists and having to stare at a wiki while I played to get the plats. This isn't a complaint or anything, I'm just surprised at the relative ease of getting the plat this time around.

So I'm kind of done with my katana powerstance build, but I guess she could also do rapier powerstance.

Honestly the game was a lot more fun without a shield. I don't think I ever did a shieldless run in Dark Souls 1 but here going shieldless just kind of makes sense.

Also that build is hella versatile. The Mirrah Longsword seems to scale especially well with that character's current stats (28str, 42dex). Love the moveset on that thing, but it's nowhere near beating the versatility of my +10 Washing Pole and +10 Darkdrift. Someone's turtling? Poke 'im with the drift. Not turtling? Fucking powerstance whack 'im with the insane reach of the Washing Pole.

Throne Defender armorset with Lucatiel's hat is my jam at the moment.

Is it just me or is this the easiest platinum trophy to get out of the Souls series? I guess I haven't done the sorceries/miracles/hexes/pyromancy trophies yet, but they are the only ones I have left and I'm only at like 70 hours in my save file.

DeS and DS1 had me printing off checklists and having to stare at a wiki while I played to get the plats. This isn't a complaint or anything, I'm just surprised at the relative ease of getting the plat this time around.

I had 80% of the trophies on my first no looking shit up run. Definitely easier.

Jaeger

Yesterday I farmed some sunlight medals at Smelter and I always groan whenever someone summons an additional phantom, because the fight takes much longer since the boss's defense is buffed (even worse when it's Lucatiel as opposed to a high-damage phantom).

I also saw the most pathetic host too. He was wearing the hollow soldier armour (why), and chucking... fireballs at Smelter. The small ones. That's right, throwing fireballs at a FIRE DEMON MADE OF FIRE IN A FIERY LAVA-FILLED DUNGEON. Needless to say his fireballs barely scratched him while my lightning spears did all the heavy lifting. Poor guy, he's obviously only getting through the game via coop.

I also often saw melee hosts stand back and barely do any token attacks on the boss, leaving me and/or another phantom to do all the damage. I can't imagine how that would feel fun or satisfying.

Lol. That's crazy. I co oped with someone else who was shooting fireballs, too. I was like huh...?!

Soulhouf

AD down. RIP my friend :'(
It took me like 20 attempts before figuring out a good strategy and other 10 to beat him.
I had to summon 2 phantoms though, which made the battle end faster.
This is probably the best pure fight in the entire game behind Velstadt.
Really loved it and I hope there were more fights like this.

just beat OIK, 3rd attempt after 2 narrow defeats and several jolly cooperations for practice. i had to stop playing from getting so worked up.

magic in this game seems waaaay overpowered. i'm sure as a trade-off you're fragile as all Hell, but my +3 Pursurer's sword wasn't doing near the damage one of my summoned phantoms was with his lightning spells.

just beat OIK, 3rd attempt after 2 narrow defeats and several jolly cooperations for practice. i had to stop playing from getting so worked up.

magic in this game seems waaaay overpowered. i'm sure as a trade-off you're fragile as all Hell, but my +3 Pursurer's sword wasn't doing near the damage one of my summoned phantoms was with his lightning spells.

As much as I'd rather use melee and actually fight everything, too often, particularly against bosses, spamming lightning spears was way more effective.

Frodo

Lighting seems to be very very OP, based on my little time playing with it. At least when it comes to bosses.

Grinchy

Banned
So I'm kind of done with my katana powerstance build, but I guess she could also do rapier powerstance.

Honestly the game was a lot more fun without a shield. I don't think I ever did a shieldless run in Dark Souls 1 but here going shieldless just kind of makes sense.

Also that build is hella versatile. The Mirrah Longsword seems to scale especially well with that character's current stats (28str, 42dex). Love the moveset on that thing, but it's nowhere near beating the versatility of my +10 Washing Pole and +10 Darkdrift. Someone's turtling? Poke 'im with the drift. Not turtling? Fucking powerstance whack 'im with the insane reach of the Washing Pole.

Throne Defender armorset with Lucatiel's hat is my jam at the moment.
Yeah I fucking love dual-wielding. I beat the whole game without ever equipping a shield too. It was a much better expereince IMO. And if you can get through it, you see how unnecessary a shield even is.

Watching phantoms turtle up on every boss fight becomes hilarious as you do cartwheels around them.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Is there an armour or chest clothing piece with a green cape? I'm tempted to make a Drizzt build with powerstanced dual scimitars... xD That would be the ultimate nerdy role-play, but I'm sure it'd be a lot of fun. Not sure what he'd wear though. Don't remember a green cloak. :( Creighton's is dark blue-ish IIRC, but it might fit, with the antler and Drizzt being a ranger and worshipper of a nature goddess and all.

Edit: ohhh Cale's armour has a green cloak! But I'd hate having to kill him to get it early, he's so nice. :(

Lighting seems to be very very OP, based on my little time playing with it. At least when it comes to bosses.

mostly bosses yes. i'm 1/2-shotting almost every regular enemy with 50str and +3 Pursuers or Demon's Hammer, but with bosses it's like hitting a rock with a spoon.

I prefer playing speed style, two handing a falchion in Dark Souls, but I found it not viable for me in Dark Souls II. The wonky hit boxes, feeling of lag, unpredictable i-frames, slow everything, and fragile weapons made me abandon that strategy.

Frodo

I prefer playing speed style, two handing a falchion in Dark Souls, but I found it not viable for me in Dark Souls II. The wonky hit boxes, feeling of lag, unpredictable i-frames, slow everything, and fragile weapons made me abandon that strategy.

Tell me about it.

I've been fighting the forever re-spawning Stone guys at Dragleic Castle as I wait to be summoned and every now an then on of these guys will hit me when I'm a hundred miles away from them. It is ridiculous. Feels like lag but I'm not even on-line. On the online it is even worse. I thought they would improve on the net-code coming from Dark Souls, but, apparently no.

impact

Banned
Tell me about it.

I've been fighting the forever re-spawning Stone guys at Dragleic Castle as I wait to be summoned and every now an then on of these guys will hit me when I'm a hundred miles away from them. It is ridiculous. Feels like lag but I'm not even on-line. On the online it is even worse. I thought they would improve on the net-code coming from Dark Souls, but, apparently no.

The netcode is better than Dark Souls. I never got lagstabbed once in DS2 online.

The hitboxes are the problem. They're fucking awful and inconsistent

LOZLINK

Oh man, giants are really my kryptonite on this game. I can't get past any of the memories segments. Rocking a drangelic sword+5 and tower shield +4, and Nada

Frodo

The netcode is better than Dark Souls. I never got lagstabbed once in DS2 online.

The hitboxes are the problem. They're fucking awful and inconsistent

You might be right. They probably improved the net code, but since we have issues with hit boxes it doesn't feel as it actually improved.

But I've been lagstabbed a few times already. Though not as much as in the original Dark Souls. Today playing on the Blue Sentinels arena I was exactly behind a guy and instead of back stabbing him the game just made his character appear in front of me facing me and take a normal hit. I still won the match, but the lag was kind of annoying.

Top Bottom