• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT2| Prepare to Vengarl

Status
Not open for further replies.

maomaoIYP

Just playing offline doesn't send the correct message. Just being online doesn't indicate acceptance of forced PVP. The matchmaking needs to match up two players who want PVP, not make one a passive participant in the process.
Good, then for all our sakes I hope you get invaded more.

When i see a fog wall go up and a ledge is handy i just jump. Does that still cause the invading player to consume their orb?

The other day on the way to RRA i was pulled in by another ratbro and just sat at the entrance while the other player tried to get me from above. In the end they suicided because i did not budge.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
thank you koreanbarbecue, especially on the tips part. thats the type of stuff I really want to know in advance, even if some people think that ruins the experience or something (it doesnt for me Im sorry).

RyanDG

Just playing offline doesn't send the correct message. Just being online doesn't indicate acceptance of forced PVP. The matchmaking needs to match up two players who want PVP, not make one a passive participant in the process.

I don't think you understand the nature of Dark Souls PVP. Invasions aren't about "match-making" two people who want PVP. Based on the nature of the game (and what From has created), being online DOES indicate acceptance for the risk of PVP. The fact that one player may not have wanted it at that specific moment completely misses the point of the game's invasion and online system.

With that being said, once again - playing offline resolves all of your concerns, and does send the correct message. You want to be left alone playing Dark Souls? Fine. Offline mode is for you. I don't see where your issues are here?

5 - Finally, any overall tips you guys have for someone that not only doesnt mind not discovering shit (I dont mean like locations or story beats, more like the fact that resistance was useless in DS1) but actually prefers to know as much as possible going in to not ruin my characters?

Windmill, torch.

That was probably the most unintuitive section in the game for me.

It does in the Souls games, and it's always been that way.

No, it really doesn't. Those games were designed with invasions in mind. You are circumventing the design by disconnecting, and trust me, you aren't sending any "message" to From (beyond hopefully getting yourself banned) and they certainly aren't going to change a core mechanic based on a few babies who pull the plug.

You wouldn't find it better to match up two players who want to PVP? Or you'd rather be able to invade players who don't want to play that part of the game, aren't 'specced' or prepared for it to give a good match? You just want to gank unwilling players? I can't sympathize with that at all.

And "it's always been that way" is not a sound justification for anything.

You wouldn't find it better to match up two players who want to PVP? Or you'd rather be able to invade players who don't want to play that part of the game, aren't 'specced' or prepared for it to give a good match? You just want to gank unwilling players? I can't sympathize with that at all.

I see myself as a boss character.
2EFBE16A4360B174482F98BDA4EAC2F69214A82D

I think they're trying to say that playing online, ever since DeS and DS1 has carried with it the risk of being invaded. It's a core mechanic of those games, and a core mechanic of DS2. All three games provide the player the option of playing offline, and as such, removing the risk of being invaded. It's right there when you load up the game - you can cancel the server calibration and play offline. They're giving you that choice. By not choosing to cancel the calibration, you really are basically agreeing to the risks of playing online.

And, with those risks run the responsibility to be ready and specced for invasion. If you're not ready, or not willing to be ready, by all means, play offline. And, the "it's always been that way" is a justified response, considering the invasion/summoning has been a key component of the game series from the very start.

Feindflug

An achievement related question guys, I have already done
3 successful summons with Lucatiel
and one with
Benhart (Prowling Magus)
...are the other two fights with
Benhart
doable or should I use an ascetic on
Brightstone
again? I prefer to not use an ascetic if the other two fights are possible.

Those two were such dumb achievements IMO and I really want to get done with them on this playthrough so I can focus on challenge runs in my next playthroughs/characters.

I think they're trying to say that playing online, ever since DeS and DS1 has carried with it the risk of being invaded. It's a core mechanic of those games, and a core mechanic of DS2. All three games provide the player the option of playing offline, and as such, removing the risk of being invaded. It's right there when you load up the game - you can cancel the server calibration and play offline. They're giving you that choice. By not choosing to cancel the calibration, you really are basically agreeing to the risks of playing online.
Soul and Hollow form negated invasion in the past two games, despite being online.
And, the "it's always been that way" is a justified response, considering the invasion/summoning has been a key component of the game series from the very start.

It's always been that a player could deliberately stay low level, and go get all the end game gear and spells to invade and gank noobs. And that was changed in Dark Souls II. So nothing is sacred.

An achievement related question guys, I have already done
3 successful summons with Lucatiel
and one with
Benhart (Prowling Magus)
...are the other two fights with
Benhart
doable or should I use an ascetic on
Brightstone
again? I prefer to not use an ascetic if the other two fights are possible.

Those two were such dumb achievements IMO and I really want to get done with them on this playthrough so I can focus on challenge runs in my next playthroughs/characters.

All of them are possible, use
a Red Eye Ring
to keep the boss on you at all times. If you really don't want to use Ascetics then this seems like the way to go.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Are we still thinking of thread titles?

Dark Souls II |OT| I survived Shrine of Amana 1.0 and all I got was ...YOU DIED

I was thinking (Dark Souls II |OT| Lighting Does Not Return) but it sucks so throw them suggestions up.

Gorillaz

I forgot but I like the one from a week ago.

Dark Souls ll lOT3l The game is too easy, make it easier

Or

Dark Souls ll lOT3l What has been done can not be undone

a Red Eye Ring
to keep the boss on you at all times. If you really don't want to use Ascetics then this seems like the way to go.

Guh, I couldn't keep those two alive in NG and NG+ and totally didn't even know the Red Eye Ring existed when I did it. Tempted to start up a completely new game to get those two achievements, since I don't think keeping them alive in NG++ will be an easy task. :(

Guh, I couldn't keep those two alive in NG and NG+ and totally didn't even know the Red Eye Ring existed when I did it. Tempted to start up a completely new game to get those two achievements, since I don't think keeping them alive in NG++ will be an easy task. :(

It is do-able, try getting an extra phantom in there for support if possible. For Benhart
I refired Brightstone Cove twice and did the Mirror Knight once. Mirror Knight was a bitch on NG+ even with the Red Eye Ring.

Juraash

Soul and Hollow form negated invasion in the past two games, despite being online.

This, I think, is the big thing right here. I'm not advocating one position or another, but previous games gave players an in game mechanic to opt out of PvP. It came with its own downsides that the player had to accept to avoid PvP.

I see the current situation as less fair to both sides. No relief from PvP unless you play in isolation and a limited resource to facilitate pvp for those that want it.

Feindflug

a Red Eye Ring

Thanks a lot, I'll try the ring then to avoid the ascetics.

OT3 | A Song of Bonfire and Sacrifice

Or

OT3 | Burn it with Bonfire!

Soulhouf

Invaders are so penalized in this game. As a host, as long as you know what you're doing, usually you are favored.
The only issue I see is the fact that you can be invaded when hollow and the boss cleared, especially with the bad placement of some vendors/blacksmiths such as McDuff.
9 times out of 10 I get invaded when I visit McDuff.

It should be |OT++|.
I love this one <3

How many of the bosses are required? I feel like im missing a lot but I'm cool with that on first play through

Off the top of my head, only the following are optional:

Vendrick
Ancient Dragon
Smelter Demon
Darklurker

Although technically if you use the Shrine of Winter skip (which you shouldn't, first run), most of the bosses in the game are optional.

Edit:
These are also optional:
Both rat bosses
Ruin Sentinels if you use a pharros lockstone in Bastille
Flexile Sentry if you take Pursuer to Bastille
Pursuer if you take Wharf to Bastille

Edit 2: I fail off the top of my head apparently. View Cloud's post a couple posts down.

I'm raping people with my hexer, I love it. I can cast soul greatsword, heal, grs, resoment weapon, etc. Using just one staff ;)

Putting in work for the BoB. I love being invaded by blues. Only time I lost was to a guy with dual avelins.

I didn't think there was a staff that let you cast miracles, hexes, AND sorceries at once.

???

Mistel

Banned
How many of the bosses are required? I feel like im missing a lot but I'm cool with that on first play through
Only a few the it depends on your way to Lost Bastille. Then with 1 million soul history you can go to drangelic then after that most are required.

Non-required Bosses are:
Ruin Sentinels
The Pursuer
Old Dragonslayer
Flexile Sentry
Royal Rat Authority
Royal Rat Vanguard
Executioner's Chariot
Vendrick
Smelter Demon
Darklurker
Ancient Dragon