• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

RiggyRob

Might be a liberty they took because Irina is blind.

I won't explain what Dissolution does (there's a consumable that serves its function), but as far as I know I think Absolution is for if you anger an NPC by mistake and you need to undo it.

Ah, so like the guy in Brightsone Cove Tseldora in DS2? I see - I don't imagine I'll ever attack an NPC in DS3, doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do!

DS3 noob here. Only played Bloodborne so far.

So I am using the embers to start glowing but I only very very rarely (ergo once in the last two hours or so) have actually found writing on the wall to summon someone to my game.
Am I missing something why aren't they more common?
I'm on top of a tall tower in the swamps if that helps.

Another question: What does the icon bellow the status bars mean? It's a scroll with an arrow pointing up, and recently there are 4 other green arrows pointing up next to it...

Melchiah

If you look closely you'll see that you're bleeding out because you have a bunch of larva on you. Pulling out the torch should get rid of them (also, those enemies are extremely weak to fire).

Damn! That's news to me, and knowing that before would have helped a lot in the area.

norog

DS3 noob here. Only played Bloodborne so far.

So I am using the embers to start glowing but I only very very rarely (ergo once in the last two hours or so) have actually found writing on the wall to summon someone to my game.
Am I missing something why aren't they more common?
I'm on top of a tall tower in the swamps if that helps.

Another question: What does the icon bellow the status bars mean? It's a scroll with an arrow pointing up, and recently there are 4 other green arrows pointing up next to it...

You're most likely to find them at the bonfire at the start of a zone/start of a boss run or directly in front of a boss room, since those are where summons are most likely. The other possibility is you're not within the level range of the people laying down their signs... either way above or way below the level of other people in the area.

I've also noticed weird behaviour on summon signs sometimes, where it feels like the game is trying to figure out what summon queue you need to be in -- if you have your own sign down or even put one down in the last few minutes, you won't see others' summon signs, sometimes after you summon a first person only then will dozens of other summon signs show up, etc. If you think you're having trouble getting them to show up and you're in a good level range for the zone, try sitting at a bonfire to 'refresh' the area.

So I just got to the final boss. I haven't beaten him but wow I love the design and concept for the final boss. It made me smile.

Its like fighting the a PVP match against the ultimate player. Who can use all the tricks like r1 spam, spin 2 win, pyromancies, power within, homing soul mass, WoG, ninja flipping, etc. as well as Gwyn's moves.

soooo sheeep.

What is the point of having bleed on slow ass weapons? It never procs in pvp even with rouge and a hollow infusion. This Carthus Curved Greatsword looks so cool but just seems pointless next to the Exile sword.

N
ameless
K
ing
down! Technically, I would have beaten him 15 attempts ago if I wasn't blind and greedy. (I had him down to a sliver so small that I thought it was the edge of the health bar. Whoops.) I ended up saying fuck it and embered to beat him. At least he wasn't a pain in the way the Pontiff or the Champion were.

I guess it's just offering the cinders to the thrones that's left...

Caja 117

So I just

Defeated Pontif Sullivan, so Im going around and reach a place which seem awfully familiar, first Knight archers, then a room with a illusion wall and a long empty hall and then a level that takes me to a higher part of the castle.... and there it is Anor Londo!!!! my first surprise was the sad site of the body of the Giant Blacksmith, but this part of the game is by far my favorite section of the game.

2 things I've noticed:

1) Many of us agree that NG+ is a bit too easy. NG++, on the other hand, is definitely a spike in difficulty. Regular mobs are hitting pretty damn hard now.

2) No matter how many times I play through this game, I always manage to get lost in fucking Farron Keep. Probably my most hated area in a video game ever, with the exception of the Meat Circus level in Psychonauts which made me put the game down and never pick it back up.

I can never get summoned as a Blue Sentinel/Blade of the Darkmoon/White Phantom anymore, no matter where I go. I feel like the weapon upgrade factor to summoning/invasions now has really stifled the pool for me. This sucks. The only time I get constantly summoned is if I'm an Aldrich Faithful.

You're most likely to find them at the bonfire at the start of a zone/start of a boss run or directly in front of a boss room, since those are where summons are most likely. The other possibility is you're not within the level range of the people laying down their signs... either way above or way below the level of other people in the area.

I've also noticed weird behaviour on summon signs sometimes, where it feels like the game is trying to figure out what summon queue you need to be in -- if you have your own sign down or even put one down in the last few minutes, you won't see others' summon signs, sometimes after you summon a first person only then will dozens of other summon signs show up, etc. If you think you're having trouble getting them to show up and you're in a good level range for the zone, try sitting at a bonfire to 'refresh' the area.

How am I supposed to tell whether I am in a good level range or not for a given area?
And yea I've always been looking around bonfires and in front of boss areas, but no dice...
I never had any trouble with the bells in Bloodborne.

2AdEPT

How am I supposed to tell whether I am in a good level range or not for a given area?
And yea I've always been looking around bonfires and in front of boss areas, but no dice...

This shouldn't be a concern...who cares what other people do....if you are struggling level up something, if not, dont. You can do the whole game at SL1 if you wish. LEvel weapons more than your character. Personally, I have rarely felt like I was overleveled for much at all in this game..it doesnt give you large shards, nor chunks, before you wished you had them, so level away.

This shouldn't be a concern...who cares what other people do....if you are struggling level up something, if not, dont. You can do the whole game at SL1 if you wish. LEvel weapons more than your character. Personally, I have rarely felt like I was overleveled for much at all in this game..it doesnt give you large shards, nor chunks, before you wished you had them, so level away.

Well it is important if I want to get players to help me and help other players...
And that is currently the problem, I cannot get people to help me with boss fights... Just no writing on the floor around bonfires or boss areas...

Also am I right in assuming an ember is basically lost once used, even if no one joins my game (as opposed to Bloodborne)

norog

I had trouble with this too. Personally, I think the bells are a way better system and hopefully they stick with that for any future games.

I guess one other thing would be to check your settings. Do you have worldwide matchmaking on?

Caja 117

Well it is important if I want to get players to help me and help other players...
And that is currently the problem, I cannot get people to help me with boss fights... Just no writing on the floor around bonfires or boss areas...

Also am I right in assuming an ember is basically lost once used, even if no one joins my game (as opposed to Bloodborne)

what System are you on?

Im on xbox one and Im having a lot of trouble getting summon sings for coop, also make sure you dont have any restrictions to matchmaking.

Overall Bloodborme getting coop was easier because you didnt had to look for the spot of a summon sign.

Nameless

Started NG+ over the weekend, and now that people are mentioning it I haven't seen many summon signs, though things are still quite active on the invasion front both ways.

Such bullshit. I've been spending the last three hours wasting 4 embers in Farron Keep Perimeter trying to get someone to join my game to help defeat the duplicating whatchamacallits.
I'm on PS4
Level 35
Where do I see my weapon level?

What am I doing wrong? :(

Soulhouf

Such bullshit. I've been spending the last three hours wasting 4 embers in Farron Keep Perimeter trying to get someone to join my game to help defeat the duplicating whatchamacallits.
I'm on PS4
Level 35

If you upgraded your weapon it should see +3 near it or something like that. Example: Long Sword+3.
If you didn't, that would explain why you don't see summon signs.
Also people don't like that area and so there are less cooperators there.

Ferr986

I'm on PS4
Level 35

If you want I can help you with password summoning.

Caja 117

I'm on PS4
Level 35

The summons to help Defeat The boss that duplicate should be close to the fog door or the bonfire that is the closes to that spot, you really don't need to be walking around the Keep to get summon signs.

I usually leave a sign at the entrance of the boss and when I fought him I got my coop in that same spot. any other place around is almost impossible to get one, it is for me so far the most tedious place to be, and given the Blighttown nature of the area is not a surprise people will not leave summon signs

Also make sure that your network type or NAT is not on 3.

Ferr986

Holy shit LOL. That's fucked up.

One of the best things about this game is the absolutely random shit you come across during invasions. From giant Dried Finger clusterfucks to cosplay gank squads to insanely weird shit that makes you question humanity. Sometimes PvP can get frustrating but overall the experience has been unlike anything else I've seen in gaming.

Fucking lost it at the ass dude. This shit is the best part of Souls community.

Tarkus

Love the weird stuff. Unfortunately everything I've come across is pretty tame. Just lewd gestures with other players and squatting while dropping dung pies.

Trakan

Anyone running a faith/miracle build right now? From reading about them, it seems like they're in kind of a bad place in the game. Lightning Spears lose damage over distance and seem like they cost a lot of FP. Even spells like Great Heal seem like they aren't very cost effective and require a lot of investment into attunement.

^ I used to run an offensive miracle build w/ 60 faith. Sunlight Spear does huge damage at point-blank range... but other than that it was underwhelming and yeah cost a lot of FP.

On mobile and can't check vids but is this the scripted bs video with the wax dunking?

6hN3U.jpg

6for8

I'm on PS4
Level 35

You are at a perfect level for coop on that boss, perimeter bonfire or boss fog. Only potential problem, like soulhouf said, is if you never upgraded a weapon or shield. You need to be within +/- 2 weapon levels to see a sign. If you have made it that far with no upgrades, congrats on the no upgrade run!

Have your cross-region play set as matchmaking ON and that you don't have a password set.

I have a level 25-weapon tier 2 that would be in range of a 35 tier 0. I will send you a request so we can solve your problems.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Anyone running a faith/miracle build right now? From reading about them, it seems like they're in kind of a bad place in the game. Lightning Spears lose damage over distance and seem like they cost a lot of FP. Even spells like Great Heal seem like they aren't very cost effective and require a lot of investment into attunement.

I typically love faith builds, but find mine lacking. I can't find a weapon I like with faith. Currently running refined gottard twin swords infused with lightning. I wish miracles are cooler or did more damage. And we actually had a few good faith weapons.

I typically love faith builds, but find mine lacking. I can't find a weapon I like with faith. Currently running refined gottard twin swords infused with lightning. I wish miracles are cooler or did more damage. And we actually had a few good faith weapons.

Lothric Knight Greatsword
Dragonslayer's Axe

Both of those weapons are great on a faith build. Since they already have innate lightning damage, the Lightning Weapon miracle or a lightning infusion scales very well on them.

20 hours of my playtime has been me just doing other things while waiting to get summoned, I think.

Does anyone know if it's a combination of the soul level and the weapon level that determines how matchmaking works, or is it that you get matched with a subset of a subset of people?

6for8

20 hours of my playtime has been me just doing other things while waiting to get summoned, I think.

Does anyone know if it's a combination of the soul level and the weapon level that determines how matchmaking works, or is it that you get matched with a subset of a subset of people?

Character level and weapon level.

Host can summon 10 levels and 10% of the hosts level +/-. A host at level 50 could summon a 35 to 65.

You also need to be in weapon (shields-chimes...everything counts) range. Up to +4 it is +- 2 levels. At +5 you can see a +8 and +3.

Both apply. A level 1 with a +2 sword can't see a level 1 with a +6 sword. Twinkling and scales weapons count +2 per upgrade as they only go to +5.

Once you reinforce something, you are locked in and can't go back down. Even if you throw it away.

Infusions don't count.

Password summons are wide open. If you summon a higher level they are nerfed, a lower level receives no boost. If the range is large the higher level will be as weak as a newborn. Shields and ring boosts do transfer well. Heavy weapons can still stun but the damage they do will be low.

Melchiah

Password summons are wide open. If you summon a higher level they are nerfed, a lower level receives no boost. If the range is large the higher level will be as weak as a newborn. Shields and ring boosts do transfer well. Heavy weapons can still stun but the damage they do will be low.

Does that also apply to Bloodborne? I'm about to help a friend to beat Laurence, and I'm far above his level. Currently at level 230, with up to +27% physical attack runes.

You are at a perfect level for coop on that boss, perimeter bonfire or boss fog. Only potential problem, like soulhouf said, is if you never upgraded a weapon or shield. You need to be within +/- 2 weapon levels to see a sign. If you have made it that far with no upgrades, congrats on the no upgrade run!

Have your cross-region play set as matchmaking ON and that you don't have a password set.

I have a level 25-weapon tier 2 that would be in range of a 35 tier 0. I will send you a request so we can solve your problems.

If you want I can help you with password summoning.

Thanks for the offer, I missed it yesterday. Switched to Mirrors Edge out of frustration. :p
Will be back online in 3 hours or so and would love some GAF assistance. :)
As for the weapons upgrade, I just haven't really found a weapon worth upgrading yet.

Thanks everyone, levelling up my staff to level +4 seems to have done the trick.
But now I cannot find any coop writing in the catacombs. :/

Anyone free to help me with the giant
skeleton king(?)
?
I'm stood right in front of his abode glowing with fire. ;)

P.s.
What does Blood lost (or something similar when I die) mean?
What does the scroll icon with a green arrow pointing up underneath my stamina bar mean?

Melchiah

Holy shit LOL. That's fucked up.

One of the best things about this game is the absolutely random shit you come across during invasions. From giant Dried Finger clusterfucks to cosplay gank squads to insanely weird shit that makes you question humanity. Sometimes PvP can get frustrating but overall the experience has been unlike anything else I've seen in gaming.

Haha! That's definitely the most hilarious PVP video I've seen.

Anyone free to help me with the giant
skeleton king(?)
?
I'm stood right in front of his abode glowing with fire. ;)

P.s.
What does Blood lost (or something similar when I die) mean?
What does the scroll icon with a green arrow pointing up underneath my stamina bar mean?
Wolnir? Do you know the gimmick of the fight?
The gold bracelets are his weak point, destroying each one takes a third of his health off. All 3 and he's gone

Blood loss, bleeding happens when your bleed bar fills up and you lose a chunk of HP. Red moss clumps reduce the build up back to zero. If you don't have one, top your health just before the bar fills to ensure you survive.

Status icons under your stamina bar relate to status buffs and such you currently have usually due to equipment you are currently using.
http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Status+Icons

Top Bottom