• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III: The Ringed City |OT| One Last Journey

Whales

Banned
I died on the first boss
while he had 10% left

fuck me

just how much
HP does tis fucker have??? its almost like I was caressing him...

Hybris

How the hell do you dodge Gael's cape?

The hitbox doesnt seem to activate on the
cape
until it's pretty far forward, so with good timing, you can dodge straight past it. Alternatively you can just dodge to the opposite side of the attack, but I just used the first method.

Fhtagn

I am really enjoying this DLC except for how hard everything hits. It's a bit ridiculous to tackle solo. I'm level 110 and only have 27 vig so... maybe I need to power level for a hot minute.

It's fun as hell to do as a group though.

BeeDog

The DLC is pretty fun so far, a little bit past the first boss now and the sights are amazing. A bit too much running from tracing projectile attacks, and regular mobs hit hard, despite me being on SL ~165.

Aurongel

So does anyone else think that we may see a Scholar of the First Sin style rerelease of DS3? Complete with both DLCs and some extra stuff?

I just have a hard time believing that this is it ;_;

i killed the first boss. had to summon somebody, but it was a fun fight. now i'm at these ghost archers. holy shit is this annoying lol.

Femto.

Have you
Beaten Darkeater Midir? If so then you're done with the DLC.

No fuck that piece of shit with a deep health bar and large AOE high damaging moveset, I'll probably do it with friends lol

Thanks!

I enjoyed this DLC much more than Ashes of Ariandel.

Up there with Bloodborne and Dark Souls 1 DLC for me both DLCs combined.

Whales

Banned
so my
friede
scythe wasnt cutting it for the boss

switched to my +10 sharp crow quills and whoops... boss became a lot more easy

tbh starting to regret speccing myself into dex/int just for the scythe... it wasnt as good as I hoped

Toxi

Banned
i killed the first boss. had to summon somebody, but it was a fun fight. now i'm at these ghost archers. holy shit is this annoying lol.
If you want a tip,
don't even bother trying to kill the summoner. He respawns like a normal enemy. Just run past his spot when you get there.

Whales

Banned
came accross the second boss

was having fun with the gimmick until I realized another paitned guardian spawns and that the guardian can fucking heal the other player... what a load of bullshit

Finished it.
Midir and Gael
were decent, but not as good as the first boss. Disappointed that the best was first. Second boss was terrible.

Areas were a bit disappointing. I enjoyed the Dreg Heap and the City at first, but they went downhill when the swamps showed up, then I just wanted to get them done.

Zocano

There's a combo ender where you literally spin around in the air like a propeller. It's the funniest thing I've ever seen.

Also consider the fact that this is a pair of Ultra Greatswords we're talking about..

Eeeeh, they were already doing that silly shit in Dark Souls 2. STR builds were always goofy.

Mutombo

I really like the art design. It's great, foreboding, original, and fits the series. The cover mechanics are shit, but you have to see it more as a bit of a 'level design puzzle', even though you die 12 times doing the same run because you miss a hint or don't know where you're going.I'm just past the first boss though.

I'm level 120 in NG+, and boy, I've died A LOT. My damage is good, I guess, but whenever I happen to face one of those hyper aggressive knights along with any other enemy, I'm as good as dead. It seems a bit needlessly difficult at times, to the point where I just turned off the ps4 instead of giving it another try. Well, this was after many tries.

I guess this is Dark Souls. It's been a year, so I have to get used to it again, I guess.

myco666

Have you heard of Bed of Chaos or Covetous Demon? There are at least like 5-10 worse bosses, let's not get hyperbolic.

Those bosses have actual attack patterns you can learn and they don't have lag as a gameplay mechanic. Also neither of those can heal themselves fully and be offensive at the same time. There is nothing good about it.

Rocwell

Okay I'm coming back around on this game. I was having a tough time enjoying it at first but I got to a spot where I'm having fun with the game again.
Slave Knight is really a great boss fight, I'm enjoying learning it, definitely one of the great all time bosses.I also love the paired Greatswords. I have a quality build and the moveset is fucking bonkers lol It's part of why I'm having so much fun with this boss fight, really love the weighty feel of the battle.
The first few parts were really unpleasant though. I'm glad I gave it another chance I'm looking forward to finishing this off over the next few days.

Ferr986

Thinking about it, TRC isn't that much longer than AoA level wise, of course it has double the bosses but
Dreg Heap it may feel longer because the angels does slow you a lot, but without them the area is really short. Remind that AoA had that totally optional tower that I supose almost everyone skip it lol

The city was longer, and the first half is really strong. Sadly they fucked up putting a swamp. I don't get why? we had enough swamps I think. Swamps tend to be a non level area, just a big empty space. It made feel the city smaller, I think they should have been more city areas, would have gladly sacrificed 1 boss for it.

Btw I liked the 2nd boss, I think it's a fun idea. I guess the bad part is that it can be too reliant on luck.
both by lag or what you get as a rival

Overall I'm happy with the DLCs. I already liked Ashes so I like this even more. Ashes was too short, and this has some annoying issues than Ashes didn't had.

I think the DS2 DLC had stronger level design, while DS3 DLC has stronger bosses. Old Hunters is the best of the bunch.

laxu

What's the best way to do damage to those machete wielding fatties with no heads? Other than plunge attacks from above that is? I can take them down but it takes time even with my +10 Refined Flamberge or +9 Lothric Knight Greatsword.

Any recommendations for weapons to use in the DLC? I feel even with 40/40 str/dex I am not doing quite enough damage to many of the tougher enemies like the knights and the fatties. Even those bigger waspdude things can take a beating.

What's the best way to do damage to those machete wielding fatties with no heads? Other than plunge attacks from above that is? I can take them down but it takes time even with my +10 Refined Flamberge or +9 Lothric Knight Greatsword.

Any recommendations for weapons to use in the DLC? I feel even with 40/40 str/dex I am not doing quite enough damage to many of the tougher enemies like the knights and the fatties. Even those bigger waspdude things can take a beating.

They are suposed to be quite strong, it takes several hits even with my 66 STR character. That said, they can be staggered quite easily, so some heavy weapons will allow you to strike a couple or 3 hits in the fatties.

Regarding the 2nd boss discussion, my guess is that.

People don't really know how to fight other players. In my case I just had get some distance and use ny hyperarmor to deal some damage, considering that 2 hits is almost 1/3 of th HP bar and that they can't use estus, I don't feel is an unfair fight, unless you get a good player. Also with 3 phantoms, inavaders get OP, so please keep trying to gank, is more fun to me that way lol

I'm offline so I would've assumed the second boss would've been way more fun for those online - maybe if they made this one the optional boss it would've been received better?... Not that it was received better in DS2! :p

My main disappointment was I walked in thinking 'ok, now we take out the big guy' and he's not the boss, it's NPC invader types. Yawn.

laxu

Is the
Seething Chaos pyromancy
any good? I haven't decided which item from the first boss I will take. I normally run around lobbing Great Chaos Fire Orbs.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm offline so I would've assumed the second boss would've been way more fun for those online - maybe if they made this one the optional boss it would've been received better?... Not that it was received better in DS2! :p

My main disappointment was I walked in thinking 'ok, now we take out the big guy' and he's not the boss, it's NPC invader types. Yawn.

Making it optional would severely limit the amount of players an invader would get to fight.

Ferr986

Is the
Seething Chaos pyromancy
any good? I haven't decided which item from the first boss I will take. I normally run around lobbing Great Chaos Fire Orbs.

Will tell you when I beat that boss on my 2nd pyro char (in first I got the weapon..... yeah I have 2 pyros even if it doesnt make sense lol).

For what I'm reading it isn't very good in PvE, because it takes too much time to explode. It has it's uses in PvP and invasions though, especially from people that doesn't know how it works.

To be fair the weapon is nothing special though, regular attacks have kinda low damage (I think a fire infused curved sword will net you more R1 damage). The weapon art combo is good if you land the two hits+lava pool though, and it really doesn't weigh shit if you want to stay uner 30 load.

myco666

They are suposed to be quite strong, it takes several hits even with my 66 STR character. That said, they can be staggered quite easily, so some heavy weapons will allow you to strike a couple or 3 hits in the fatties.

Regarding the 2nd boss discussion, my guess is that.

People don't really know how to fight other players. In my case I just had get some distance and use ny hyperarmor to deal some damage, considering that 2 hits is almost 1/3 of th HP bar and that they can't use estus, I don't feel is an unfair fight, unless you get a good player. Also with 3 phantoms, inavaders get OP, so please keep trying to gank, is more fun to me that way lol

There is that.
Atleast I am really bad at PVP because I couldn't care less about that aspect outside of being a total dick with traps and whatever. Also while the invader doesn't have estus they have two NPCs that can heal them while keeping on offense/defense/movement. I think that is a very unfair advantage when you are going solo.

laxu

Will tell you when I beat that boss on my 2nd pyro char (in first I got the weapon..... yeah I have 2 pyros even if it doesnt make sense lol).

For what I'm reading it isn't very good in PvE, because it takes too much time to explode. It has it's uses in PvP and invasions though, especially from people that doesn't know how it works.

To be fair the weapon is nothing special though, regular attacks have kinda low damage (I think a fire infused curved sword will net you more R1 damage). The weapon art combo is good if you land the two hits+lava pool though, and it really doesn't weigh shit if you want to stay uner 30 load.

Thanks! I'm only interested in PvE so I guess I might pick the weapon and have some fun with that. I'm running a quality/pyro build so mostly just use melee but use Carthus flame on weapons and lob some fire balls for ranged attacks.

I'm enjoying this DLC quite a bit.

I am not enjoying this (boss spoiler)
big stupid dragon with it's dumb fire attacks that hit me even though i'm outside the visible range of the flames goddamn iiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt. Does anyone have any tips? I'm using a faith build with a lightning infused lothric knight greatsword which seems to do decent damage to the dragon's head but pitiful damage to it's legs. I can easily dodge all of it's physical attacks but as soon as it starts breathing fire I'm almost guaranteed to take damage.

Ferr986

Thanks! I'm only interested in PvE so I guess I might pick the weapon and have some fun with that. I'm running a quality/pyro build so mostly just use melee but use Carthus flame on weapons and lob some fire balls for ranged attacks.

well the good thing is that the weapon can also be used as a catalyst so you can offhand it and either attack with it or just cast. The spell buff is somewhat lower than a pyro flame but is still good enough.

Also, mind you the weapon scales with INTF/FTH so I don't know if your stats are suited for it. Also it deals pure fire damage (there's no physical damage at all)

laxu

well the good thing is that the weapon can also be used as a catalyst so you can offhand it and either attack with it or just cast. The spell buff is somewhat lower than a pyro flame but is still good enough.

Also, mind you the weapon scales with INTF/FTH so I don't know if your stats are suited for it. Also it deals pure fire damage (there's no physical damage at all)

Yeah my 20/20 INT/FTH stats might be a bit low for that.

Arkeband

Banned
I did enjoy Friede boss more than any of this DLC.

I agree with this, I think, although the bosses in this were still classic with great music.

I felt like there should have been some cutscene that played after the last boss, or some reward for turning in the quest item, but oh well. It feels final and now the IP can rest for a while.

2nd boss sucked for me because either my connection to their servers sucks or their connection sucks, so they're just lag-teleporting everywhere.

Manu

Finished this last time and I loved it. Only the optional boss left. I always knew we wouldn't be getting any definite answers or a new ending because the game already has an ending (three actually) and because this is Dark Souls. They were never gonna give us an ultimate series ending on a DLC. Still, there's a lot to analyze lore/story wise, and some people already have some really cool theories about what it all means.

Fuck those stealth sections though. They don't belong in the series and never will.

I did enjoy Friede boss more than any of this DLC.
I mean if she has good lore, she'd be my favourite fight in the series.

I think boss 1 is really good and again if it had good lore it would be a favourite. Mechanically it's excellent and unique in souls ,
enrage state followed by exhausted states, jump mixups, one of which has a tell so that you know you can run after him and do tons of damage.

Optional boss is good , but I would have preferred it if the set piece was more part of the boss battle, because it's too long for how stiff his moveset is.

The final boss has just been done before, and whilst cool as fuck, it reuses the Maria 3 stage formula again, they've kinda got the platnium games problem here "how the hell do that top that??".

Top Bottom