• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III: The Ringed City |OT| One Last Journey

Ferr986

Last person I helped we beat it in under 10 minutes it felt. Though that time I went and just destroyed the beast mostly myself.

lol Mercury wrecks it's life.

Need to try that,bored to lose against him lol

Although the char I want to kill him (for the weapon) is DEX/LUCK.

Gbraga

firelink shrine from DS1?

Yep!

What was well designed about it? It was just a standard big bodied souls boss, combined with the multiple enemy/multiple life bar gimmicks.

The way the aggression cycles work is awesome, and it actually wants you to kill both, so going the Agni & Rudra approach of lowering their health little by little and then killing both very close to each other is viable and smart, not just something you do by mistake your first time fighting them, like O&S.

It's a really damn good fight.

Zyrox

So, optional boss done as well. Not the best fight, I prefer DS1 and DS2's
dragons
, but it didn't take too long thankfully.
Think I've seen everything there is to this DLC, overall I liked it better than AoA and it's about on par with AotA for me. DS2 lost crowns still reign supreme for me though. Kinda disappointing lore though for the final piece of Dark Souls content.

What was well designed about it? It was just a standard big bodied souls boss, combined with the multiple enemy/multiple life bar gimmicks.

Is gimmick the new word to describe "thing I don't like"? Would it not be a gimmick anymore if the overall boss HP was the same but it was just one health bar and they combined at x%?

To answer your question myself, the boss is just fun to fight. Their movesets are large and varied, and their ability to swap is a neat touch. I wouldn't say it's "one of the best in the series" but I like it a lot.

Fhtagn

So, optional boss done as well. Not the best fight, I prefer DS1 and DS2's
dragons
, but it didn't take too long thankfully.
Think I've seen everything there is to this DLC, overall I liked it better than AoA and it's about on par with AotA for me. DS2 lost crowns still reign supreme for me though. Kinda disappointing lore though for the final piece of Dark Souls content.

Seriously you prefer
ancient dragon? That's my least favorite boss in the series.

Oh are you thinking of
Sinh? That one is great!

Edzi

Is gimmick the new word to describe "thing I don't like"? Would it not be a gimmick anymore if the overall boss HP was the same but it was just one health bar and they combined at x%?

To answer your question myself, the boss is just fun to fight. Their movesets are large and varied, and their ability to swap is a neat touch. I wouldn't say it's "one of the best in the series" but I like it a lot.

No, they're gimmicks because they're typically things thrown out sparingly to spice up fights. They've been doing it a bit too often lately though.

Plus, I'm not saying the fight was bad, it just wasn't particularly great on top of having a really uninspired boss design.

On states
- Enemies switch between a slow ranged focused state and a fast melee focused state
- In the slow state all projectiles have a massive tell, so you can dodge them even when they are off screen during the cast. (Be it audio tell or the strips)
- In the aggressive state, the demons will chase after you, so you can easily pull them away. This is a fuckin massive sign that from have learnt alot, compare this to a boss like O&S where it Ornstein will just fuckin slow walk his ass to you.
- When aggressive state demons charge up a fire slam, you know immediately they are going into an exhausted state temporarily after the slam. Not only does this give you a huge attack window here, you also know there will be another one shortly when it enrages back into the aggressive state.

Mix ups
- Both forms of the boss have a ton of mix ups, that leave you anticipating whats next, so instead of "Dodge boss attack pattern, then attack", its "Dodge boss attacks, untill you sure you can attack now"
- Flying moves for example, theres slam, fireball, Swoooooosh, lazer etc. All require a different dodging strategy

Lazer mechanic
- So the dragon actually uses this aswell, cause lul Fromsoft cant use a good idea only once
- But when the boss is gonna do this lazer move, he charges up a back flying dash and some wind like tell occurs, if you iframe the wind knock down, you can run in and get a TON of damage on the boss.
- This is really good way to reward good players and punish those who are just grinding hp down
- The other form has a slightly different way of handling this, and i dont like it as much cause its not very intuitive

Well this ended up long, pretty sure i missed some awesome stuff aswell but w/e.

Gbraga

No, they're gimmicks because they're typically things thrown out sparingly to spice up fights. They've been doing it a bit too often lately though.

Plus, I'm not saying the fight was bad, it just wasn't particularly great on top of having a really uninspired boss design.

Not a fan of the design either.

I like the idea of having similar features to the Batwing Demons though.

Batman and Robin ended up being my favorite fight in the DLC, even with a design I dislike.

Ferr986

I wish From, being the last DLC and Dark Souls content, would let us trade stuff between characters (respecting normal trading limits).

So many characters I want things but doing all the DLC on all of them is annoying, especially with the broken summoning right now.

Bl@de

Played a lot today (I think 5 hours) and I really like it. Now at the third bonfire of the Ringed City and it's definetly one of my favourite areas in DS3. Shame it is the last content for Dark Souls :( Good thing that I haven't played DS2 DLC yet, so I still have SOTFS for the future :) And I still hope for a Bloodborne sequel...

Oh, and the angels weren't so bad. At least you can kill them and they won't respawn. Unlike the stupid storm beasts in Demon's Souls.

Whales

Banned
I started invading because I was getting annoyed at the optional boss

and god damn, I never knew invading could be this fun... have a bunch of cool ass clips and beating 3v1 gankers feels so good lol

now if only I could summon for the optionalboss... tbh I usually beat every boss in the game with no help for the 1st time but im not wasting anymore of my time with this dickhead that deals 80% damage in one hit, that has huge defenses and that you have to fucking chase around. Unfun as fuck

myco666

So the optional boss has 16k health according to fextra. Thats over double the health that Nameless King has lol.

and god damn, I never knew invading could be this fun... have a bunch of cool ass clips and beating 3v1 gankers feels so good lol

now if only I could summon for the optionalboss... tbh I usually beat every boss in the game with no help for the 1st time but im not wasting anymore of my time with this dickhead that deals 80% damage in one hit, that has huge defenses and that you have to fucking chase around. Unfun as fuck

You don't really have to chase it that much. It mostly does attacks that leave it close to you.

Whales

Banned
So the optional boss has 16k health according to fextra. Thats over double the health that Nameless King has lol.

You don't really have to chase it that much. It mostly does attacks that leave it close to you.

All he does against me is
breath his fire while lunging forward so i have to chase after him

or a tail swipe when im close that deals 80% damage and is really fucking quick

or he flys away and pounds the ground 3km away from me

personal experience there... maybe im just unlucky

Stack defense. Steel Protection +3, Havel's ring, heavy armor. With ~40% physical DR his hits weren't doing very much damage to me. A high fire resist shield helps with the fire as well if you're not comfortable avoiding it. I thought this fight was pretty straightforward in that there was very little RNG involved. Once you master it, you master it. Now that I've beaten it I don't expect I'll have any trouble with it in future playthroughs.

It's not that quick... it has a super obvious tell. Getting hit by that is on you.

All he does against me is
breath his fire while lunging forward so i have to chase after him

or he flys away and pounds the ground 3km away from me

personal experience there... maybe im just unlucky

Its never about luck, its about control.
Probably the most frustrating comments i get on videos is "This boss never behaves like this for me!", its like yea.....my entire movement strategy is based around controlling the bosses A.I.

Hybris
https://youtu.be/UoB1zn_Z6oc
Myself
https://youtu.be/AbLXILXJeaM
Youtuber Faraaz Khan
https://youtu.be/ZWQJc-RRds0

All of us holding the same general position relative to the boss, to get him to do what we want.

Only go for the head, sure you'll miss some damage, but you'll keep control.

la_briola

I really enjoy shira's weapon (can be buffed). Here are two short examples of the amazing L2+R2 combo.

https://streamable.com/7v1o6

https://streamable.com/aclwn

The second one is the more fun one (you can dodge the damage).

For those who don't know the weapon: L2 into R2 will give you one of three effects: 1. poise (?) buff, 2. roar (like force), or 3. an orb that follows you until it detonates and damages everything including you.

Pro tip: you can chain L2 into L2 into L2 and so on, it doesn't cost FP until you use R2. This will stagger most mobs until they are dead. :lol

Ferr986

I mean, people finished Dark Souls with their damn feets. Of course some people will beat that boss at SL1 no damage and all that shit.

Doesn't mean it's fair for us pleebs. Some of you guys are just really good at it.

Kindekuma

Banned
Was gonna get back into DSIII now that all the DLC is out. Find out my Steam version's data got deleted.

Well, I ain't mad. But that definitely does suck.

Relceroi

Neo Member
Darkeater Midir is something else... There has been nothing even half as frustrating in the whole of the series, Bloodborne and Demon’s Souls included, as this boss battle. Maybe it’s that I’m severely under-leveled and doing an Astora cosplay build (short reach) but even then, base level runs have always been more manageable than this.

ubiblu

Optional boss is finally down after 20-30 attempts on NG++. Talk about an annoying sponge of a boss with a pretty bullshit moveset. I may bitch, and whinge, and moan, and swear, and punch pillows, and bash my controller out of pure rage, but i've now proudly beat every single souls game bosses solo as an exclusively-melee halberd user. Don't let your dreams be dreams. Persevere skeletons, even when it may seem impossible.

Darkeater Midir is something else... There has been nothing even half as frustrating in the whole of the series, Bloodborne and Demon's Souls included, as this boss battle. Maybe it's that I'm severely under-leveled and doing an Astora cosplay build (short reach) but even then, base level runs have always been more manageable than this.

I agree that Midir is one of the top 5 toughest bosses in the entire Soulsborne series, if only for the unpredictable moveset (Laurence is still worse). The key is to go double-handed, charge the head, and dodge towards its tail once you see it start to commence an attack: never go defensive or move backwards. Being under-leveled or playing fashion souls won't be your inhibitor in this fight, just getting lucky with your movements and the moveset it chooses to use. Keep at it. One of those bosses that seems impossible and bullshit, but can be manageable when you master your technique.

I thought the first boss was fantastic as well. Given, I've only played BB and DS3, but this was among one of the best bosses between the two.

Toxi

Banned
Yep!
The way the aggression cycles work is awesome, and it actually wants you to kill both, so going the Agni & Rudra approach of lowering their health little by little and then killing both very close to each other is viable and smart, not just something you do by mistake your first time fighting them, like O&S.

It's a really damn good fight.
I don't like the aggression cycles. They seem entirely dependent on the demons' AI since they only lose the aggro mode with the fire slam attack. And when both are aggro mode it's just obnoxious. Oh yeah, and I still hate how both look so similar and have the same moveset and have so much fucking health combined.

Best gank fights in the series are Bulk and Skull, the Shadows of Yharnam, and Friede and Ariandel. Two demons don't even come close.

I really like the second phase though. It uses a good mix of projectiles and physical moves to keep you on your toes; the Demon Prince is also absurdly mobile, so you aren't just sitting under his butt whacking his cheeks the entire fight. The laser beam is great at making you go "Oh shit, oh shit, please let me reach the guy before he fires". Only thing he really needs is a few more ways to attack behind or below him, since he's still got a bit of a blind spot.

Toxi

Banned
Oh, and the angels weren't so bad. At least you can kill them and they won't respawn. Unlike the stupid storm beasts in Demon's Souls.
Angels are totally fine for me compared to the
ghost-summoning giants. Which respawn because fuck me.

Edzi

Angels are totally fine for me compared to the
ghost-summoning giants. Which respawn because fuck me.

Don't fight the giant, just run. There's a bonfire right after. Same for the swamp one, just don't aggro and run around him.

Relceroi

Neo Member
I agree that Midir is one of the top 5 toughest bosses in the entire Soulsborne series, if only for the unpredictable moveset (Laurence is still worse). The key is to go double-handed, charge the head, and dodge towards its tail once you see it start to commence an attack: never go defensive or move backwards. Being under-leveled or playing fashion souls won't be your inhibitor in this fight, just getting lucky with your movements and the moveset it chooses to use. Keep at it. One of those bosses that seems impossible and bullshit, but can be manageable when you master your technique.

I defeated it just now in a fairly fun and unlikely attempt. Took just over 9 minutes and I ran out of estus when the boss still had half of its HP left. Somehow I managed to survive. Large bosses don't tend to be to my liking.

condigy

Don't know if this already has been said but for the judicator fight
You can summon patches, behind the rightside door

Toxi

Banned
Don't fight the giant, just run. There's a bonfire right after. Same for the swamp one, just don't aggro and run around him.
It's not that I'm struggling. It's an emotional thing. I killed the first one after many tries with an immense feeling of satisfaction, cleared the area of items, reached the next bonfire, and warped to the previous bonfire to see if there were any world changes... And then I saw that stupid giant was sitting on his stupid chair again.

Ferr986

Optional boss is finally down after 20-30 attempts on NG++. Talk about an annoying sponge of a boss with a pretty bullshit moveset. I may bitch, and whinge, and moan, and swear, and punch pillows, and bash my controller out of pure rage, but i've now proudly beat every single souls game bosses solo as an exclusively-melee halberd user. Don't let your dreams be dreams. Persevere skeletons, even when it may seem impossible.

Laurence was way easier IMO. First phase was a glorified Cleric Beast and second was just annoying to fight, but still more manageable. Midirthe same high damage dealing, but higher HP, shittier camera, faster, longer reach, longer attacks, only 1 hitspot with regular damage taken (while the rest of his body having stupid high defense), and higher resistances to anything non melee rendering mages and pyros utterly useless (minus Mercury spell). You could deal against Laurence with any build.

TitusTroy

I'm about to start Ringed City (was finishing up a playthrough of the base game)...but I was wondering why From Software recommends a Soul level of 125 for?...I finished the base game (with no DLC) at Level 92...is the 125 recommendation for NG+ players?...seems too high for regular NG or is Ringed City that difficult?

Ferr986

I'm about to start Ringed City (was finishing up a playthrough of the base game)...but I was wondering why From Software recommends a Soul level of 125 for?...I finished the base game (with no DLC) at Level 92...is the 125 recommendation for NG+ players?...seems too high for regular NG or is Ringed City that difficult?

TRC is SO much more difficult than base game or Ariandel. 120 seems about right.

Manu

Hey, I totally missed the giant door shield. Where is it?

I started the DLC at lvl 92 and it was hell on earth.

Zyrox

Man I wish I could get summoned for the covenant... seems like a fun thing. But I'm now waiting for 10 mins and nothing. Meanwhile when I put my coop sign down I get summond within SECONDS. Coops fun but sometimes I just wanna be an arsewipe. Maybe I'll do some invasions...

Whales

Banned

this dlc is hard as fuck

Van Bur3n

My man. Been running with the Black Knight Halberd since DS1 for all of my first characters. Everything must die by its blade.

But another thing for Midir. When I was running for his tail while he blew fire downwards, his tail is low enough to take some hits as well. At least two. Getting two hits in does about as much damage as one head hit. Small comfort, but any opening for damage helps, I say. Although perhaps only a halberd can get a hit on that tail. A benefit of us guys with reach.

Also wore a fire resistant ring which I thought helped a bit when I got inevitably hit by the flames, although I always wear the Black Knight set, so I'm not sure how good the ring is alone.

Nah, man. You can't just leave that giant hanging. Everything must die. Everything must be cleared. My honor must remain intact.

Toxi

Banned
Depends on the person and stat layout.

I started at level 86 on NG+ and it's been hard but (mostly) fun.

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
So this is the ending?
killed Gael, then travelled to Ariandel chapel and gave the girl the Dark soul? Expected some form of ending cutscene..

Gbraga

Darkeater Midir is something else... There has been nothing even half as frustrating in the whole of the series, Bloodborne and Demon's Souls included, as this boss battle. Maybe it's that I'm severely under-leveled and doing an Astora cosplay build (short reach) but even then, base level runs have always been more manageable than this.

The reach is definitely a problem for this fight. But then again, straight swords have destroyed absolutely everything in this game thus far, especially with Carthus Rouge. It's about time for reach to be rewarded in some way in this game. :D

I don't like the aggression cycles. They seem entirely dependent on the demons' AI since they only lose the aggro mode with the fire slam attack. And when both are aggro mode it's just obnoxious. Oh yeah, and I still hate how both look so similar and have the same moveset and have so much fucking health combined.

Best gank fights in the series are Bulk and Skull, the Shadows of Yharnam, and Friede and Ariandel. Two demons don't even come close.

I really like the second phase though. It uses a good mix of projectiles and physical moves to keep you on your toes; the Demon Prince is also absurdly mobile, so you aren't just sitting under his butt whacking his cheeks the entire fight. The laser beam is great at making you go "Oh shit, oh shit, please let me reach the guy before he fires". Only thing he really needs is a few more ways to attack behind or below him, since he's still got a bit of a blind spot.

I really disagree about having too much health. I'd even say it could use a health buff. On NG+3 I could see chunks of it going away on every hit, and now on my second playthrough of the DLC on NG I find out that the boss is weak to bleed. For this specific game, it couldn't get more vulnerable than that.

Midir I can see the health complaints, especially because the moveset doesn't get that much more varied throughout the fight, but Batman and Robin don't have a lot of health at all.

Maybe not necessarily health, but their defense is definitely not very high.

TitusTroy

TRC is SO much more difficult than base game or Ariandel. 120 seems about right.

I started the DLC at lvl 92 and it was hell on earth.

this dlc is hard as fuck

for my current STR build I've already maxed out Vigor, Strength and Endurance at 40 (which is the soft cap) and I have my main weapons (Yhorm's Great Machete +5 and Greatsword +10) maxed as well...I'm hoping that's enough

Toxi

Banned
for my current STR build I've already maxed out Vigor, Strength and Endurance at level 40 (which is the soft cap) and I have my mains weapons (Yhorm's Great Machete +5 and Greatsword +10) maxed as well...I'm hoping that's enough
You should be fine.

tenor.gif

Gorillaz

Generic ish question but is the season pass worth it? I know this has been said to be a nice little package but was that first dlc worth it?. It feels like it came and went. At the same time I like the PvP in souls games and I know gaf isn't too heavy into it so maybe that might be a reason it didn't click here

Legit thought that was some coolshot gif of him behind, is this the new godzilla film?

Generic ish question but is the season pass worth it? I know this has been said to be a nice little package but was that first dlc worth it?. It feels like it came and went. At the same time I like the PvP in souls games and I know gaf isn't too heavy into it so maybe that might be a reason it didn't click here

Has best boss in the game in it so yes, in fact i'd pretty much only recommend either dlc if you like bosses or want more weapons/magic etc in yours souls 3

I started at level 90 and it felt just right.

Gbraga

I think it's worth it, especially now that you've seen the negative reactions to both, and won't buy it expecting THAT much.

It's no Old Hunters, it's no Artorias of the Abyss, but it's worth it. If you liked Dark Souls III, it's an easy recommendation.

Just don't expect too much when it comes to "THE FINAL CHAPTER OF THE SOULS SERIES". It's just more Dark Souls III.

Legit thought that was some coolshot gif of him behind, is this the new godzilla film?

Has best boss in the game in it so yes, in fact i'd pretty much only recommend either dlc if you like bosses or want more weapons/magic etc in yours souls 3

I think so. Saw a comment on reddit the other day commenting on this too.

Eh, the dinamic themes are kinda cool, the DLC is challenging and are tied up with Ashes of Andariel.

Lorewise its a hit or miss depending how much you know about dark souls

Someone should add YOU DIED ,

freaking dragon.

Shin Godzilla (japanese movie)

Top Bottom