• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III: The Ringed City |OT| One Last Journey

mellow

tbh other than items and new weapons, this dlc is worse than ashes of ariandel IMO. If you guys think getting ganked by literally fucking thing in literally fucking every area + having giants chase you around + 7 fat dudes chasing you around + a fucking
dragon defending a god damn bridge that spits fire on your ass
is fun, then maybe im out of touch

im probably in the minority thinking this tho

I like it more because of the because the weapons and armor are some of the best in the entire game IMO, besides the boss weapon from AoA I didn't care for anything. I also like all of the boss fights here, although the final boss of AoA is still better than everything in this.

The first section of this DLC was pretty terrible and I agree about enemy placement too

basically this is better via having more content but not by a significant margin

I just beat the optional boss with some guy I summoned and I can't really take credit because this guy was an absolute MVP, I swear he got hit less than 10 times the entire fight and just went HAM

Hybris

tbh other than items and new weapons, this dlc is worse than ashes of ariandel IMO.

If you guys think getting ganked by literally fucking thing in literally fucking every area + having giants chase you around + 7 fat dudes chasing you around + a fucking
dragon defending a god damn bridge that spits fire on your ass
+ enemies placed in a way to discourage exploration is fun, then maybe im out of touch

im probably in the minority thinking this tho

I thought the angels were a nice change of pace, but then they basically reskinned that mechanic with the archers. This combined with the overabundance of enemies and massive bland wide open areas was pretty low quality. Honestly the
dragon was another reskin of the hide behind cover mechanic now that you mention it, but at least that section was short.
I think this opinion is more popular than you think.

myco666

DLC done on NG++. Wasn't that bad compared to NG run. I think From should lower the defense on the DLC bosses and some enemies a bit. It really feels like your weapons are weak even at +10 with proper infusion and 40-50 in damage stat.

Uploaded videos from the NG++ run. Nothing special but I did manage to do the first phase of the last boss flawlessly. Took a hit in the next phase immediately though lol.

First boss
Last boss
Optional boss

Hmm what's a good, fast STR weapon? Currently fighting (Boss name)
Gael
and my Spiked Mace feels a little to slow. Can be a quality weapon too but the focus should be on STR. I have 40 str and 20 dex.

Dark Sword. Spam that R1.

Fhtagn

I thought the angels were a nice change of pace, but then they basically reskinned that mechanic with the archers. This combined with the overabundance of enemies and massive bland wide open areas was pretty low quality. Honestly the
dragon was another reskin of the hide behind cover mechanic now that you mention it, but at least that section was short.
I think this opinion is more popular than you think.

None of what's in the DLC is really a problem on its own but there's no down time for exploring; the pacing is really one note.

Having the angels and the archers wouldn't be bad, except they are back to back. The run to the swamp is a similar situation: nonstop enemies and ever present pressure.

Finished it today. Pretty good last boss. Was very
Artorias
-like.

Question for others who have beaten it -
What's the deal with the Blood of the Dark Soul? I gave it to the girl from the first DLC and she just thanked me and said she'll paint a new world with it. Does she ever finish the painting? If not, seems like a strange note to end on.

rdytoroll

Killed the optional boss with zero Estus left and with the help of a summon. I'm not a big fan of the fight, it's not that fun and frustrating af

Killed the optional boss with zero Estus left and with the help of a summon. I'm not a big fan of the fight, it's not that fun and frustrating af
I found it to be a lot easier if you
try to stay underneath him and hack away at his back legs and his tail
. He has a ton of health, so it's still a fairly long fight, but sticking to this strategy seemed to prevent him from using his more frustrating attacks.

what-ok

Any spec recommendations for this DLC? I'm Having a hard time with all the fat knights on the stairs and not sure it I should be going big with an axe or hammer or stick to using my tiny sword.
I'm also 100 level NG+. Maybe I need to go up a couple?

rdytoroll

. He has a ton of health, so it's still a fairly long fight, but sticking to this strategy seemed to prevent him from using his more frustrating attacks.

Believe me, I tried everything. Almost lost my mind and a shitton of embers. Probably one of my least favorite bosses to fight in the series. Atleast the fucker's down now and I can move on to the last boss

Edzi

Any spec recommendations for this DLC? I'm Having a hard time with all the fat knights on the stairs and not sure it I should be going big with an axe or hammer or stick to using my tiny sword.

Run past them. This DLC is all about running past things.

Zyrox

I'm also 100 level. Maybe I need to go up a couple?

You can stunlock the fatties with a heavy weapon (i.e a great hammer). Found them pretty easy personally. Fight one at a time, bait them into attacking, evade, and than hit em till your stamina runs out. Back off, rinse and repeat.

SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS

The final boss sucks too.

This is only further confirmation that Astraea sucks!

I don't think "uninspired" is disrespectful at all.

And, honestly, going by his interviews, Miyazaki seems to agree. He even includes Bloodborne in the mix, which is surprising to me, but he kept saying things like "Bloodborne and Dark Souls III were not my decision to make, they were games that started development before I became president. I'll show what I can do with our next IP".

At the same time, it's quite exciting. If he can make something like Bloodborne because he has to, without particularly feeling like it's his baby, and "the game he wants to make", I can't even imagine what he has in store.

The BB quote sounds bizzare since elsewhere it was stated that when Sony approached FromSoft and him about developing for the PS4 he proposed a Souls inspired new IP...curious as to what comes next

Ferr986

I think the intended strategy there is using the bridges to to do a falling attack. These enemies are really weak to that, they have a special animation where you stab her abyss head with a falling attack, you can kill them with 1 hit, or leave them almost dead. Kinda annoying to do with the 5 o 6 there are in total though.

Hybris

It only seems like he has a lot if you use that strategy. He actually has significantly less health and defense than the other dlc bosses if you
focus on damaging the head. The riposte you get near the end takes out a ton of hp as well. Here was my strategy: https://youtu.be/UoB1zn_Z6oc

what-ok

Thanks for all the advice. I'm having luck with the plunging attack. Now I need to better understand what to re-spec my character so I do more damage. Any advice for a 100 level build?

Nerokis

Dancer and Champion Gundyr are the best fights in the game bar none.

I was tepid on Dancer my first playthrough but on successive ones I found her much more impressively interesting compared to the rest of the fights in the game mostly due to how a combination of the music and her animations adding to the fight feeling like an actual dance and in turn has a lot more movement to the general flow of the fight. Her having a slightly unorthodox silhouette also helps the fight not feel like another big dude with a sword or big immobile I circle strafe for 5 minutes.

I think I might have to agree.

There was a time when I'd put Nameless King up there, but over time, his first phase has bothered me more and more. The camera is basically workable once you're used to the dragon's movements, but there's just nothing satisfying about slashing away at the dragon's head over and over again. The ingredients are almost entirely there to execute the soldier vs. dragonrider thing in a pretty epic way, if only the way you did most of your damage wasn't so incredibly uninteresting.

EasyMode

Need help with the puzzle: Show
your humanity.

Whenever I use a young white branch in the swamp, I turn into a black crystal or a stone ornament, never a humanity sprite. Is this because I already beat Gael and Shira?

Anustart

Need help with the puzzle: Show
your humanity.

Whenever I use a young white branch in the swamp, I turn into a black crystal or a stone ornament, never a humanity sprite. Is this because I already beat Gael and Shira?

can't have hollowing. Use a purging stone

yume_2501

found the
third angel's summoner
thanks to a message. Thank you mr/mrs, wherever you are
tumblr_static_filename_640_v2.png

EasyMode

can't have hollowing. Use a purging stone

I was 99 hollowed and I got it first try.

The purging stone seemed to do the trick. I jumped into the swamp and turned into a sprite on my first try. Then I realized there was a locust in the way so I killed it, and had to use 3 more branches until I turned into a sprite again. So maybe hollowing decreases the odds of getting the sprite. Thanks!

Zomba13

The purging stone seemed to do the trick. I jumped into the swamp and turned into a sprite on my first try. Then I realized there was a locust in the way so I killed it, and had to use 3 more branches until I turned into a sprite again. So maybe hollowing decreases the odds of getting the sprite. Thanks!

Huh... Weird. Maybe I was lucky then?

I beat the first boss. I dont like the DLC so far. The Angels mechanic is just stupid. Especially near the swamp. Finding them was not easy. And did not like the first boss either. So far I am not impressed. I will say DLC is harder than the Painted World DLC. May be the dlc picks up later.

I was reading posters comparing this to Old Hunters and Artorias dlc. So far I feel this is worst dlc content in souls series.

Robot Pants

I beat the first boss. I dont like the DLC so far. The Angels mechanic is just stupid. Especially near the swamp. Finding them was not easy. And did not like the first boss either. So far I am not impressed. I will say DLC is harder than the Painted World DLC. May be the dlc picks up later.

I was reading posters comparing this to Old Hunters and Artorias dlc. So far I feel this is worst dlc content in souls series.
I agree. I think even Ashes of Ariandel is better.
No way this even comes close to touching the Old Hunters or Artorias.

As the final piece of Souls content, this is extremely disappointing

horkrux

It pretty much picks up right after the first boss. But it won't get any easier, that's for sure :p

It pretty much picks up right after the first boss. But it won't get any easier, that's for sure :p

Totally fine with difficulty. Beat Old Hunter on NG+. And I loved every bit of challenge. The Angles are just straight up silly. Dont make me die for stuff I cannot control. Thanks for your response. I look forward to moving to next level.

Edzi

Totally fine with difficulty. Beat Old Hunter on NG+. And I loved every bit of challenge. The Angles are just straight up silly. Dont make me die for stuff I cannot control. Thanks for your response. I look forward to moving to next level.

Yeah, if you didn't like the angels you won't like the next section.

rdytoroll

Alright, just finished this DLC. Killed all the bosses, searched all areas high and low for items and complete the npc questlines.

Spoilers

Positives:

- A lot of cool new weapons and armor sets
- 2 amazing bosses, with Gael being one of my favorite ones in DS3
- Great soundtrack as always
- Level design once again best in the industry with some really cool areas to explore
- Difficulty was just right for the most part
- Really liked the addition of the angels and bowmen, keeps you on your toes
- Interesting lore descriptions
- Good length, I needed about 7-8 hours to complete it

Negatives:

- The Church boss is a bit of waste, cool idea though
- Midir is one of the most frustrating bosses I have ever fought, I think I'll skip that one on a replay
- The ending was a bit anticlimatic, sure we got some new dialogue with the painter girl, but I expected a cutscene to end this series

Overall I think Ashes of Ariandel and The Ringed City make for an amazing experience. If The Old Hunters is a 10/10, this one is a 9/10 and Ashes of Ariandel a 8,5/10.

Ferr986

The Ringed Spear is pretty cool. Unlike the sword, it doesn't consume FP per hit, and it has horizontal attacks (although slow ones, but in PvE should be fine).

It's a lil annoying how the sword consume FP per hit in transformed mode, but I can see why it does, the transformed mode on that weapon is stronger than the spear.

The
Gael
sword WAs and it's combo is also very good. Overall a lot of new weapons have really good WAs.

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
Seems like I'm more than halfway through the DLC, but have not seen any references to Dark Souls 1/2? Or maybe I'm not that observant.. just seen
some statues of Kaathe
but that is the only thing.

myco666

Seems like I'm more than halfway through the DLC, but have not seen any references to Dark Souls 1/2? Or maybe I'm not that observant.. just seen
some statues of Kaathe
but that is the only thing.

Check the names of the bonfires in the first area.

Kyzon

I don't even want to think how much HP does that fucker has with 4 summons.

Last person I helped we beat it in under 10 minutes it felt. Though that time I went and just destroyed the beast mostly myself.

lol Mercury wrecks it's life.

First boss of the dlc is just ridiculous good, such a well designed fight.
Everytime i fight it i get closer to thinking its a top 5 in the series, despite no lore.

Edzi

First boss of the dlc is just ridiculous good, such a well designed fight.
Everytime i fight it i get closer to thinking its a top 5 in the series, despite no lore.

What was well designed about it? It was just a standard big bodied souls boss, combined with the multiple enemy/multiple life bar gimmicks.

Top Bottom