• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallachia

For me: fresh coffee brewed, sitting on a pillow in front of my Samsung, maybe a small toke, hopefully it's night and raining out - then it's time for church.

Wallachia said:
For me: fresh coffee brewed, sitting on a pillow in front of my Samsung, maybe a small toke, hopefully it's night and raining out - then it's time for church.
Jealous of the third one. I wonder what it would be like...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Jealous of the third one. I wonder what it would be like...

If it's anything like playing Demon's Souls in that state of mind, it will be amazing. Man, if you think it's intense on it's own...just wait.

Both sound equally terrifying, not having that experience in a long time I'm sure it would be intense... Anyway

I'm starting to wonder if the game reallu did sell out...

Yo Gotti

Banned
Wallachia said:

Dammit. There isn't a game more perfect.

You tempt me. >:p

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Rar totally can play now but during the day is just..weird. Tonight I swear I won't fall asleep and will marathon it for a good while.

EXGN said:
Over in the Media Create thread, they were saying sales are pretty good so far. First day, some trackers had it at 100K+ which is amazing and there are sold out reports. The first game did like 30K week one, so it's a notable improvement.

While I doubt it will hit 3 million, I hope it does exceed all expectations. If any franchise deserves it, it's this one.

At any rate, I bet Sony is feeling mighty stupid right now letting this franchise go. Looks like the way better seller compared to White Knight.

Hopefully a healthy new class of sufferers will show heaps of love to DeS
after they get their fix of the follow-up.
Hail ATLUS for extending the servers (again) into 2012.

Canova

Banned
EXGN said:
Over in the Media Create thread, they were saying sales are pretty good so far. First day, some trackers had it at 100K+ which is amazing and there are sold out reports. The first game did like 30K week one, so it's a notable improvement.

While I doubt it will hit 3 million, I hope it does exceed all expectations. If any franchise deserves it, it's this one.

At any rate, I bet Sony is feeling mighty stupid right now letting this franchise go. Looks like the way better seller compared to White Knight.

Nice to hear, I hope 2 millions is within reach

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I started off as a Pyromancer... got up to level 8 or 9 but I'm still in the first area of the game lol. Demon's Souls got difficult for me after 10 or so hours but this game started off harder than I expected. :(

Johnas

Oichi said:
I started off as a Pyromancer... got up to level 8 or 9 but I'm still in the first area of the game lol. Demon's Souls got difficult for me after 10 or so hours but this game started off harder than I expected. :(

How are you liking the atmosphere and the music?

I'm in NA, won't be playing until the 4th.

cnizzle06

Banned
I'm not going to get this game until I get some speakers. I honestly cannot endure playing another game using the shitty speakers on my lcd.

The online being down sucks for sure. I feel playing online is a lot more important in this game than it was in Demon's Souls: There's a ton of branching paths, and many of them are too hard to attempt the first time. This happens constantly.. and the only way to figure it out without being impaled is to read messages.

Orayn

cnizzle06 said:
I'm not going to get this game until I get some speakers. I honestly cannot endure playing another game using the shitty speakers on my lcd.
You're in for a treat - If it's anything like From's brilliant sound work on Demon's Souls, there will be all kinds of amazing things for people with powerful speaker setups. (An area in Demon's Souls had nearly subsonic rumbling to make things even more eerie, despite there being few other low sounds going on.)

Kalnos

Banned
teh_J0kerer said:
The online being down sucks for sure. I feel playing online is a lot more important in this game than it was in Demon's Souls: There's a ton of branching paths, and many of them are too hard to attempt the first time. This happens constantly.. and the only way to figure it out without being impaled is to read messages.

Fuck that. When I saw the message in front of the red eyed knight I tried until I killed him.
KuGsj.gif

cnizzle06

Banned
Orayn said:
You're in for a treat - If it's anything like From's brilliant sound work on Demon's Souls, there will be all kinds of amazing things for people with powerful speaker setups. (An area in Demon's Souls had nearly subsonic rumbling to make things even more eerie, despite there being few other low sounds going on.)

Yeah, I beat Demon Souls, but I didn't experience any of that due to the shitty speakers :\

I know Gaf is gonna eat me alive for asking, but can anyone recommend a good soundbar?

My room is small and space is limited.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Johnas said:
How are you liking the atmosphere and the music?

I'm in NA, won't be playing until the 4th.

Even though I died A LOT because of it, I'm enjoying the level layout of the first area. I haven't watched any live streams so I don't know my way around yet but it's great knowing that there are multiple paths to take and you could be stepping into an area way over your head at any given time. The color contrast between the areas is really nice too.

Haven't paid much attention to the music aside from the bonfire theme so I can't comment on that.

Oichi said:
Even though I died A LOT because of it, I'm enjoying the level layout of the first area. I haven't watched any live streams so I don't know my way around yet but it's great knowing that there are multiple paths to take and you could be stepping into an area way over your head at any given time. The color contrast between the areas is really nice too.

Haven't paid much attention to the music aside from the bonfire theme so I can't comment on that.

Going to repeat my question now someone has the game; any sort of custom soundtrack support?

Orayn said:

Wish I had a better sound system, I remember hearing about that...

FUCK! NCSx...

Jimrpg

Canova said:
PS3 online community will be much bigger tha 360 community, if you want real dark souls experience then get ps3 version, there!

I doubt you like my answer

is anyone actually going to switch from the Demon's Souls PS3 to Dark Souls PS3?

I think everyone who got Demon's Souls is going to stay with the same system to be honest.

I think you'll find a community where alot of people haven't played Demon's Souls on 360 - so its going to be a bit unpredictable as to what they'll do.

putarorex

I played a couple more hours offline with my pyromancer. I died a lot with the first major boss but then it fell as in the youtube video somebody posted. I hope he didn't drop anything special. Bosses since then have been easier (some seem to be mini-bosses like the steel boar).

I found a smith and upgraded my battle axe. Now I can one-shot kill low-level mobs. Quite satisfying. What I really what to find is someone selling spells...

Drewfonse

Oichi said:

I'm seriously considering using a Pyromancer. Pros/Cons?

tenchir

Kyon said:
there is no voice chat

Surround Sound.

edit: Before some of you audio nazi reply how surround sound headset isn't real surround sound or some shit, keep in mind how many ears we got and how it works.

Jimrpg

worldrevolution said:
They compete? Really? I see them on totally opposite sides. My WRPG loving friends could not wrap their heads around DS. And me as JRPG freak (not so much nowadays though) pretty much had my gaming career resurrected by DS. They way they world build is also much different. DS/DkS already have everything laid out so you see it the way they want. Oblivion type games don't even care if you spend 80 hours doing non-story stuff. To me DS is like a modern day Mega Man game. And Elder Scrolls is a modern day MUD. Yeah that makes no sense. Anyway, I think each scratch a different itch, though if this fall is packed and you have to choose between one....

I think Western developers have other motivations when they make a game, I think Japanese developers still have an old fashioned way of making games which is clear to see in Demon's Souls - not just in the way the game plays but the philosophies in game design.

With Oblivion, the western developers wanted to create an incredibly vast open world where the player has choice. With choice its a lot harder to balance the game. To be honest this definitely has something to do with the type of designers and their philosophical view of the world. Western people naturally want choice in life, the political system they live in give them that. Thats why open world games have done great. There's still a story path to follow and I think western developers still haven't gotten their mind around how to create a great fine tuned experience like God of War or Demon's Souls that allows choice like in an open world game. Its almost like they say you can't have both, but I don't think they are mutually exclusive. I think Dark Souls will show us this.

I think with Japanese developers, alot of games have complex game systems and their audience has always risen up to the challenge of a new game system. I think western audiences have a shorter attention span (for whatever reason), if they don't like something within 10 minutes they'll pick up something else, a book, a movie etc. Yes japanese people also have competing entertainment but in some ways the culture there wants to discover a new experience which means they want to discover new gameplay. In the west its always been about 'shooting' at something which is easy to understand. Its like the western audience is more fickle and ready to move on something better at any time. To keep them playing the game, the gameplay has to be easy to understand.

Lastly, the level design from Demon's Souls even though its still mostly a corridor design in its strict nature, is filled with choice, interweaving corridors, shortcuts and there are numerous ways to beat the game. And you have to increase your skills in the game to beat their game rather than play it for a certain amount of time where the game levels up for you and increases the character stats and abilities. Its fine to become superpowerful in a WRPG, but thats why a lot of Demon's Souls fans love about the series is that its like they've become good at the game and its rewarding.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
tenchir said:
Surround Sound.

edit: Before some of you audio nazi reply how surround sound headset isn't real surround sound or some shit, keep in mind how many ears we got and how it works.
That head set is so fucking comfy! I got it day one when it came out :D

fionel

Got my copy this morning and played through the tutorial area. Feels like Demon's Souls all over again :D

The game hung on me right after the opening movie. I bet tons of people who got this would not have bothered to go to the site and see that they have to sign out of psn. I would not want to be the tech support for this game at this moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom