• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.

vermadas

Have 360 pre-ordered at Amazon, PS3 at NewEgg. Right now people are only basing 360 performance on a few videos of what is probably a beta build. Hopefully I can get some meaningful evidence on how the versions compare before the games ship in NA, but somehow I doubt it. Assuming performance parity I would prefer the 360 version for controller and other reasons, however hearing the news about how the shoulder buttons are mapped is making me lean back toward the PS3 version a bit. Hmm..

Totalriot

Foffy said:
So...in other words, it's the following:

Knights of White = Blue Phantoms/"Good" servants.
Chaos Servants = Black Phantoms/"Bad" servants.
Gravelord Servant = Troll other players.

Is that how it is? I intend for my character to be a noble good character on the first run, and two of those three specifically sound
like evil choices

That's not how I understand the
Chaos Servants. Seems to me as they are kind of bounty hunters who go only after the black phantoms others have written in their book of guilt, which makes them kind of like the good guys, too.

classicdms

Neo Member
I have this preordered but was under the impression that this was still a ways off. Fuck me, I don't think I'm ready for this kind of brutal sado-masochistic shit.

God this is gonna be GREAT.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
god i played it at e3 on ps3 and it was glorious but ps3 has it issues with the OS itself thats making me get it on 360 but now after watching video of 360. Most games are not running on disc when devs are showing off.
so 40secs load on a install is lame :/

Great job on the OP. I recently started a new game as melee in demons souls and man it is so much more intense!
While I have this preordered, I too am a bit bummed about the non physical ce material for NA, but hey it's still a small price to pay for what will undoubtedly be one of the best games this gen. People, if you haven't played demons souls, you have some time now, please give it a try. This developer is special, believe that. My only improvement I wish for is the item/ weapon comparisons to be a bit better layed out.
Ohh Uuuuuumbassssa....

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I thought of renting Dark Souls rather than waiting for a price drop but I honestly think it's gonna take me a while.

kyubajin

Madrical said:
All over my face.

I hope there isn't as many checkpoints as it sounds like T_T ie. before every boss.
I really really hope bonfires are reasonably far from the bosses, that was my most dreaded and beloved thing in DS. The utmost terror bosses inspired on me knowing that not only do I needed to reclaim my souls with the boss lurking around me but that I might die in the way there. 4-2...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Host Samurai said:
No Royal class? I'm fucked and gonna die :(

I just hope there's a class that starts w/ very low SL and NO LUCK!!!!

Since you can mold a class any way you like, but you can never remove attribute points, best to start with a clean slate. All the items and armor can be found later.

I'm so excited!

Totalriot

Evolved1 said:
I just hope there's a class that starts w/ very low SL and NO LUCK!!!!

Since you can mold a class any way you like, but you can never remove attribute points, best to start with a clean slate. All the items and armor can be found later.

I'm so excited!

Yeah, I'm going to do the same thing. I'm guessing Deprived is the way to go.

IrishNinja

great OP, SO MUCH HYPE

bdizzle said:
My soul is not ready ;________;

same! finally platted DS just earlier this year...but i gotta be in on the ground floor for this one.

Tokubetsu said:
Another question. I never played Demon Soul (No PS3 ='[) but I'm told your class didn't really matter outside of the first few minutes of the game. Is it the same in this?

that was absolutely true of DS, cant imagine it being all that different here. people blew up how important it was to start with a royal for a long-range spell, but any class can get by, you just gotta learn the patterns & proper melee/taking your time.

that said, Wanderer4LYFE

Evolved1

Totalriot said:
Yeah, I'm going to do the same thing. I'm guessing Deprived is the way to go.

The thought of entering the world in nothing but a loin cloth and battered club does fill me with dread, I must say.

It will no doubt be quite challenging...
and rewarding

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Evolved1 said:
Though thought of entering the world in nothing but a loin cloth and battered club does fill me with dread, I must say.

It will no doubt be quite challenging...
and rewarding

lol

Gattsu25

Banned
Looks like I am going with the Deprived class as that seems analogous with my starting class from DS (Barbarian).

PS3 version for me.

Evolved1

Where exactly is the character creation video? I would like to see this.

I thought DS's creator was decent enough, but limited options (hair especially) lead to many "samey" characters. I did my best to tease out uniqueness, but more options would've been better. I'm curious if it's any different in the sequel.

Madrical

Banned
kyubajin said:
I really really hope bonfires are reasonably far from the bosses, that was my most dreaded and beloved thing in DS. The utmost terror bosses inspired on me knowing that not only do I needed to reclaim my souls with the boss lurking around me but that I might die in the way there. 4-2...
Yup, 4-2 and 2-2 were the worst for me... 2-1 before I figured out that it's probably the easiest boss in the game as ranged too.

Christ, I can't wait.

The_Monk

So I was sitting in this thread yesterday, then I go to sleep. No I wake up and I think: What? Eggs? What eggs?

Come on people, don't troll me, you have no idea how punishing was for me to finish Demon's Souls... right?

On a side note, I was really expecting a physical Guide Book, but it's confirmed to be digital, do you guys believe it will be good? I never used one, but I felt that I should when I was playing DS.

Protocol7

Anyone know from interviewing or another source if I'll have to get the same region to play with friends from another continent? Like I buy the US version, will I be able to play with JP or EU players and vice versa? I know I asked this question in another thread, but I'd really like to have a solid answer... Curious that no one asked that question in interviews...

I'M SO FREAKING EXCITED!!! sorry but I had to let it out... AHHHHH!!! there stopping now...

Angst

The_Monk said:
So I was sitting in this thread yesterday, then I go to sleep. No I wake up and I think: What? Eggs? What eggs?

Come on people, don't troll me, you have no idea how punishing was for me to finish Demon's Souls... right?

On a side note, I was really expecting a physical Guide Book, but it's confirmed to be digital, do you guys believe it will be good? I never used one, but I felt that I should when I was playing DS.
The guide book for Demon's Souls was really good IMO. But the wiki was even better...

Hey Dark Souls knowledgeable folk, I've got a question for ya.

How exactly do saves work in this game? I'm interested in Dark Souls (360 / PC only, so I've not played Demon's Soul) but often difficult games have limited save systems. Obviously it wouldn't have quicksave / quickload options as that would ruin the game, but does it at least have a destructible quick save? Or if not, are the points that you can save at least somewhat close together? I've got a family so my gaming time comes in short spurts whenever I get a bit of time free, so a game that requires long play sessions really doesn't work well for me.

Angst

TheFightingFish said:
Hey Dark Souls knowledgeable folk, I've got a question for ya.

How exactly do saves work in this game? I'm interested in Dark Souls (360 / PC only, so I've not played Demon's Soul) but often difficult games have limited save systems. Obviously it wouldn't have quicksave / quickload options as that would ruin the game, but does it at least have a destructible quick save? Or if not, are the points that you can save at least somewhat close together? I've got a family so my gaming time comes in short spurts whenever I get a bit of time free, so a game that requires long play sessions really doesn't work well for me.
It auto-saves constantly. Change something in your inventory - saves, eat some grass - saves. Etc. You can't exploit it as you have no control over when it saves. I.e. you cant save and then do something stupid thinking you can just reload. You have to live with the consequences which is very unique and awesome.

thundr51

Since I got the first game on PS3 I'll show the 360 some love and get this on there. Although I have to admit, it seems as though a lot of From Software's games just run better on PS3. You'd almost think they were first party or something.

Don't worry PS3, AC5 is all yours.

Angst said:
It auto-saves constantly. Change something in your inventory - saves, eat some grass - saves. Etc. You can't exploit it as you have no control over when it saves. I.e. you cant save and then do something stupid thinking you can just reload. You have to live with the consequences which is very unique and awesome.

That sounds great to me. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't continually going to be put into situations where I wanted to stop playing but would have to play for 15-20 min for the next save point.

d1rtn4p

Apologies if this has been elaborated on, but can anyone clarify what seamless worlds means? The hub/spoke model of teleporting in the first game really took me out of the experience of being in a living, logically flowing world...

Orayn

d1rtn4p said:
Apologies if this has been elaborated on, but can anyone clarify what seamless worlds means? The hub/spoke model of teleporting in the first game really took me out of the experience of being in a living, logically flowing world...
The levels are still semi-linear in design, but they're connected to reach other instead of a single hub world, and there's no fast travel or teleportation that we know of.

BLagiver

Banned
Facism said:
*crosses fingers for no crystal lizard bullshit

I loved the crystal lizards. Those moments were the most tense and awesome. I felt like the guys in the movie Mousehunt but I actually kill the lizards most of the time which is so rewarding.

Forget the lizard that's under the crow tree that falls in that bottomless pit when you kill it though.

johntown

Banned
DuendeSmoker said:
I don't know about you guys but I'm rolling Knights of White.

I shall hunt you ALL down!
Most likely a Gravelord Servant here.........this may change but I need to see more information on Darkwraiths and the Chaos Servants.

Totalriot

Augemitbutter said:
my trophy list is ready.

Speaking of which, here is the up to now known trophy/achievement list:

The Dark Soul
All trophies obtained. Congratulations!

Knight's Honor
Acquire all rare weapons.

Wisdom of a Sage
Acquire all sorceries.

Bond of a Pyromancer
Acquire all pyromancies.

Prayer of a Maiden
Acquire all miracles.

Covenant: Way of White
Discover Way of White covenant.

Strongest Weapon
Acquire best weapon through standard reinfrc.

Crystal Weapon
Acquire best weapon through crystal reinfrc.

Lightning Weapons
Acquire best weapon through lightning reinfrc.

Raw Weapon
Acquire best weapon through raw reinfrc.

Magic Weapon
Acquire best weapon through magic reinfrc.

Enchanted Weapon
Acquire best weapon through enchanted reinfrc.

Divine Weapon
Acquire best weapon through divine reinfrc.

Fire Weapon
Acquire best weapon through fire reinfrc.

Chaos Weapon
Acquire best weapon through chaos reinfrc.

Enkindle
Light bonfire flame.

Estus Flask
Acquire Estes Flask.

Reach Lordran
Arrive in Lordran.

Ring the Bell (Undead Church)
Ring Bell of Awakening at Undead Church.

Ring the bell (Quelaag's Domain)
Ring Bell of Awakening in Quelaag's domain.

Rite of Kindling

Acquire the Rite of Kindling.

Art of Abysswalking
Acquire the Art of Abysswalking.

Reach Anor Londo
Arrive in Anor Londo.

Lordvessel

Acquire the Lordvessel.

Lots of similarities to Demon's Souls but that was expected.

Carbonox

Will this game require multiple playthroughs then to Platinum it? I see you need master this, that, the other. I don't know how all of this works as I will be a Souls virgin going in to Dark Souls.

johntown

Banned
Carbonox_Ratchet said:
Will this game require multiple playthroughs then to Platinum it? I see you need master this, that, the other. I don't know how all of this works as I will be a Souls virgin going in to Dark Souls.
Yes........prepare to have you a$$ kicked.

Orayn

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
Yes, but the whole game is designed with NG+ in mind, so I don't think you'll have any trouble staying entertained with all the collectibles, optional content, and hidden goodies.

wotter

jett said:
40 second loading times every time you die?

NO BUY
Load times are a few seconds max, where did you get the idea it takes 40s?

Also:
avimY.jpg

first impressions: sogood.gif (so difficult :p)

DuendeSmoker

Neo Member
wotter said:

Also:
avimY.jpg

I feel like commiting suicide and possessing your body as a motherfucking ghost so I can play the shit out of it.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Shit! Well this sneaked in for me, didn't realize release date was so close. Day 1 for sure!

Hope I have time to play it tho :(

Foffy

Banned
wotter said:

Also:
THE FUCKING GAME

How far are you in it? Hour wise, I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom