• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT2| Praise the Sun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
worldrevolution said:
Game bought 25 days ago..34 hours played..still haven't rung the second bell. This game has too much content. I'm loving just hanging out in the forest and being a part of the cat covenant too much. Soon the fun must come to an end and I will continue..
Yup, I did that for a long time too. Those little battles were so much fun.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Hawkian said:
Yup, I did that for a long time too. Those little battles were so much fun.

The thing is even just a few weeks in most people are super decked out in gear and just waiting to be invaded. It's like the new 4-1 (well, early game, from what I know there's a bigger pvp arena later). It feels weird having had this game for so long but only now getting to content that I think a lot of people even here were playing by like their second day. I'm so slow. =(

Zzoram

The 90 minute speedrun is insanely cool, watching the first few parts since it's just areas I've already cleared.

Seeing how fast things can be killed or areas cleared is awesome

CatPee

I'm so sorry Priscilla. I liked you and all, but your little world of peace was utter shit and not peaceful at all, so I had to kill you :(.

LLShC.gif

Hawkian said:
Hahaha.

The whole concept of losing all the XP on you unless you make it back to that spot without dying should really be used in some other games.

Fog and Dark Wood Grain are my main rings. Basically I just abused the Forest Hunters to become a ninja.

Haha same, and I hate when the boulder gets reset, I've gotten squished way too many times because of that. Also, I've noticed that the dark wood grain sometimes hinders me, it doesn't seem to work when you're trying to roll into/under enemy attacks

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
BeeDog said:
I hope the new patch doesn't kill of the darkroot soul farming strategy. :>

Would you please explain to me what Darkroot soul farming is? I can go to Darkroot now, and I've been looking for a good spot to grind souls.

Firestorm some guy of the cliff who cornered himself. Got a whooping 350k souls off him. How should I spend it? I'm really liking forest hunter covenant a lot. The ring of fog is finally mine. Now I wish I wasn't wearing ring of favor and protection.

CatPee

Zefah said:
Would you please explain to me what Darkroot soul farming is? I can go to Darkroot now, and I've been looking for a good spot to grind souls.

Buy the Crest of Artorias from Andre, then go a bit into Darkroot Garden until you see a door with a glowing circle on it. Kick the
illusory wall next to it to reveal a bonfire
, use the crest on the door, then sprint a ways deep into the area and run back, only this time, run into the little ledge on the right of the staircase. The enemies chasing you should run onto the stairs and run off the cliff, resulting in ~7k souls in a minute. Rest at the bonfire to respawn them and repeat.

Personally, I prefer fighting them. They were good fun to fight at ~SL25 or so.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
CatPee said:
Buy the Crest of Artorias from Andre, then go a bit into Darkroot Garden until you see a door with a glowing circle on it. Kick the
illusory wall next to it to reveal a bonfire[/spoiler[, use the crest on the door, then sprint a ways deep into the area and run back, only this time, run into the little ledge on the right of the staircase. The enemies chasing you should run onto the stairs and run off the cliff, resulting in ~7k souls in a minute. Rest at the bonfire to respawn them and repeat.

Personally, I prefer fighting them. They were good fun to fight at ~SL25 or so.
Awesome. Who is Andre and what are the conditions to purchase the Crest of Artorias?

famousmortimer said:
Is there a weapon type that is good for the cr
ystal caves? Seems like everything i have hits those dudes for about 20hp and they hit for about 600.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Reposting my question for a new page. Anyone? Thanks :)

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Zefah said:

Assuming you opened the door and found the hidden bonfire next to it (I actually came from the Hydra and didn't realize this was the infamous farming area), run through the forest and grab as many visible/invisible enemies as you can, then run to the littler corner of the cliff that's right below the stairs you came in from. The pathing of the mobs will make them simply jump off the cliff when they try to get to you. It's best to watch a video to get the gist, I actually was doing a different method and then I watched the video and realized people were doing it differently. I realized right away when I saw the setup of the entrance that it could be done though (my Demon's Souls sense probably..) so it doesn't surprise me that this became so widespread.

(edit, so beaten)

I want to make the Cursed Greatsword of Artorias so I can kill ghosts without being cursed, but there's mixed info about what I need. A +10 greatsword?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hahaha, used Iron Flesh and 2 handed gravelord sword + 4 and beat the last boss on my second try.

Final stats:

46 hours, SL78

Vit: 26
Att:: 16
End: 33
Str: 32
Dex: 20
Res: 12
Int: 14
Fai: 8

CatPee

Zefah said:
Awesome. Who is Andre and what are the conditions to purchase the Crest of Artorias?

The blacksmith inside Undead Parish's old church underneath the second bonfire of the area. Pay him 20k souls to get the Crest.

MechaX

Kyoufu said:
So basically, anyone planning to spec their new character now should hold off for this balance patch? I assume they will make STR/DEX worth it for lower level players.

I'm hoping that they fix the scaling. My SL99 character is primarily a dex build with 43 DEX and lightning weapons are still giving the strongest dex weapons a very good run for their money. At the very least, it gives me an incentive to not just make a new character to take advantage of INT scaling.

x3r0123 said:
weird it works for me

Maybe it's because I never left his covenant? My status still says I'm a Gravelord Servant+1.

Just to clarify, when you warp to his chamber, is there a second sarcophagus at the back of the room still (just like there is when you warp there in the first place using the
Eye of Death
)? Because that's definitely not there for me.

Speevy

Banned
sotodefonk said:
Tried to kill the red dragon in melee, but it roeasted me lol... does he drop something if I kill it like this?

I don't think he takes damage like this.

Go up to the knight's tower and shoot him with one arrow.

Booshka

Yo Gotti said:
Finally getting through Lost Izalith.

Black Knight Great Axe is King.
I just started NG+ and did a Plunging attack to the Taurus Demon on the Bridge that did 3370 damage and killed him instantly, that Axe is amazing.

Speevy

Banned
The greataxes in this game have to be one of the funniest, most satisfying thing to kill an opponent with.

It's like "Yeah, that's great. Good slash, nice soul arrow, now watch me SPLIT YOUR ****ING HEAD OPEN."

Speevy

Banned
Booshka said:
I just started NG+ and did a Plunging attack to the Taurus Demon on the Bridge that did 3370 damage and killed him instantly, that Axe is amazing.

Your base weapon takes like 40% of his health anyway when you fall on him.

ShockingAlberto said:
Jesus christ, this game.

I am glad I livestreamed the beginning with friends. I would have died a lot more and probably gotten frustrated.
I died shitloads on the Capra Demon. I did it all by myself. Sweet tears of joy were wept upon striking the deathblow on that son of a bitch and his dogs. The area to that fight is irritating more than anything.

darkwing said:
there's always ng+

That's not really the issue, I didn't actually miss anything. I just wanted to farm those infinite skeletons right before the boss room, and I don't feel like walking all the way back lol.

Yo Gotti

Banned
This game is like playing through a nightmare sometimes. These locations and creatures can be completely unnerving at times.

I just finished killing all those
Olympic high jumping Zombie Dragon Torso's
in Lost Izalith. That was a pain.

Next, I'm running through a
giant tomb/ruins
filled with
fire breathing statues that come to life
. After I get past them, I'm climbing a staircase then I look up and see the most hideous looking
bright orange octopus creature with a huge head, a dozen eyes, mandibles and ocean creature looking sucker hands
. I don't even want to approach this thing. I get close and he starts
spewing some weird mist at me, I don't even want to know what kind of horrible status effect it's going to inflict on me.
Killed it ASAP.

What a horrible looking creature.

darkwing

Yo Gotti said:
This game is like playing through a nightmare sometimes. These locations and creatures can be completely unnerving at times.

I just finished killing all those
Olympic high jumping Zombie Dragon Torso's
in Lost Izalith. That was a pain.

Next, I'm running through a
giant tomb/ruins
filled with
fire breathing statues that come to life
. After I get past them, I'm climbing a staircase then I look up and see the most hideous looking
bright orange octopus creature with a huge head, a dozen eyes, mandibles and ocean creature looking sucker hands
. I don't even want to approach this thing. I get close and he starts
spewing some weird mist at me, I don't even want to know what kind of horrible status effect it's going to inflict on me.
Killed it ASAP.

What a horrible looking creature.
that was acid

Booshka said:

What's the easiest area with a respawning Black Knight to try and farm it? Been trying to figure out what to spend my Twinkling Titanite on, and that looks perfect.

Speevy

Banned
I love how adamant the creators of this game were about its artistic design.

After the first game's reception, you'd expect them to go nuts with set piece environments, but it's just one dark, creepy pit after another.

Speevy

Banned
Question about toxin.

I was given this condition in Blighttown and used Blooming Purple Flowers, and it wouldn't go away. I used 6 of them and it would just go down, but then shoot back up, and I was still poisoned.

Is this supposed to happen?

Kyoufu

Speevy said:
Question about toxin.

I was given this condition in Blighttown and used Blooming Purple Flowers, and it wouldn't go away. I used 6 of them and it would just go down, but then shoot back up, and I was still poisoned.

Toxin is different to poison. You have 2 seperate items that cure them.

x3r0123

cpp_is_king said:
Maybe it's because I never left his covenant? My status still says I'm a Gravelord Servant+1.

Just to clarify, when you warp to his chamber, is there a second sarcophagus at the back of the room still (just like there is when you warp there in the first place using the
Eye of Death
)? Because that's definitely not there for me.

yep still there for me

def sim

Speevy said:
Question about toxin.

You have to use the purple and white flower. Toxin is different from poison.

TheExodu5

Banned
Speevy said:
Question about toxin.

Were you in the water? It's poisonous.

Booshka

cpp_is_king said:
What's the easiest area with a respawning Black Knight to try and farm it? Been trying to figure out what to spend my Twinkling Titanite on, and that looks perfect.
I got it from the Black Knight in the
Catacombs
I had the Covetous ring on which may have helped, I don't think it is a 100% drop. I also saw that a Black Knight on the final run up to the last boss had one, but I don't know if they drop it. I was kind of bummed all game because the only drops I got from Black Knight's were their mediocre shields, then I got that Axe, put it to +5 and have been loving it.

Just did a plunging attack on the
Armored Boar
for 2200 damage haha, used the Alluring skull to get him close then fell on him, insta-kill.

Speevy

Banned
Ah, gotcha. I think I probably just read it wrong. I thought there were only two kinds of purple flowers, and the blooming ones cured toxicity.

Thanks.

gdt

I'm currently using a Silver Knight Armor set I'm upgrading. Can anyone recommend me a better armor at a similar weight?

tmaynard

Zzoram said:
Please tell this story in detail. Chameleon invasion stories are awesome.

I was summoned at the foot of the stairs in front of the building where you fight
Ornstein and Smough
. We performed our greeting gestures and began our run up the stairs to face the two large Sentinels.

As we reached the top we noticed a invading phantom waiting for us in between the two Sentinels. Both Sentinels saw us and were on their way to smash us into dust. The phantom was waving. So, we both simultaneously did a 180 and began hauling ass back down the stairs. When we got to the bottom, we turned around - and I see a large vase sitting at the top of the stairs in between the Sentinels. This is basically where I lost it and started cracking up.

I pull out my bow and I immediately notice the large vase backing up slowly out of sight. Three seconds later, I see the large vase move back into his original position. At that point, I'm in tears I'm laughing so hard. My teammate beckons the vase and it slowly begins it's descent. We both pull out our bows and start shooting at the vase. I'm laughing so hard that I can't even aim properly so the damn vase makes it all the way down to the bottom of the stairs where the phantom finally uncloaks, does the "come at me bro" gesture, and then runs straight toward my teammate.

I quickly gain my composure and land the killing backstab blow on him - almost sad that I did. I say "almost" because it took me around 45 minutes to even get summoned to help and I wasn't about to let anything ruin that. haha

cpp_is_king said:

In the final area, all of the different types of Black Knights can be fought and they respawn when you die or hit up a bondfire so you can farm them endlessly.

Miroku

thinking of trying to make a crystal ring shield. Is it good? Also, what type of shield should I upgrade to +10 and what blacksmith can combine the butterfly soul for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom