• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, something explaining the summoning wouldn't hurt anybody! Explain humanity too while you're at it. The game told me what's up when I got cursed, but that's about the only time it told me anything like that.

But the game does explain humanity! It says it's mysterious and that no one knows what it really does. :p

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
It's pretty simple to discover what Humanity does. Once a player explores the "Reverse Hollowing" or "Kindle" options of the bonfire menu it becomes apparent. And on the stat page if you hit select like it says, the Humanity description says it affects item drop rate. Once you know this info you check the online items descriptions and they state whether you can use it hollowed or not.

This game rewards voraciously gobbling up every little piece of information you can find and thinking about it. Normally this is bad design not to explain the basic gameplay mechanics, but for this series I like the approach. It's fun not knowing everything and figuring it out yourself (or with the community). Sometimes I want to explore not just the world but the systems as well.

Sullichin

The internet exists, so who cares? Seems better than having to go through a tutorial in-game.

It's true, and I was barely complaining. But I don't think it would detract from the experience at all if, say the first time you picked up humanity, some text came up on screen quickly explaining its uses, in the same way there's an explanation when you get cursed. Not necessarily a proper tutorial. Or if when you pick up the white soapstone it just said "drop your soapstone to offer help to other players". The co-op in this game is amazing and I don't think it would be a bad idea to point more players in that direction, is all.

2AdEPT

the thing with all the dogs near him? No, that's where I'm kind of stuck now :(

Though I imagine he would be pretty easy without the extra enemies.

Sounded lie a troll comment to me..or he really was genuinely lucky.....I guess another alrternative is he did "stumble on it at high level and pyroed him to death." I've done this....save him for after getting lightning spear and maxed pyro...then melt him and electrocute the dogs.

Without question, one of the most difficult bosses for noobs.

you can follow this formula to win: take two steps, roll to the right side of capra; roll toward stairs, run up stairs turn adn with shield up and spear kill one or two dogs. Jump down (preferably on capra) but jump away form him if h ecomes up stairs, rinse and repeat. Once dogs are gone all you have to do is dodge telegraphed attacks.

2AdEPT

Fianlly made it to 4 kings without dying along the way to ghosts...killed all darkwraiths without dying once for the first time ever, using demon's spear (kept at a distance they only do the stab attack and your spear is longer than their sword; also keep them on the stairs and they whiff over your head as the crouch of the R2 attack keeps you lower than their weapon.) THen realized that when I took off the artorias ring at Kaathe last time and lived that you cannot do the same for 4 kings....dies instantly after switching rings....thought it was just for the fall.....i was wrong.

2AdEPT

So did anyone find out what the pendant actually does? :D

anyone? this has been bothering me for some time...the developer publically refused to comment on its "secret"....but my guess has always been that it does nothing....never actually had one ethier I do believe.

shiroryu

It's true, and I was barely complaining. But I don't think it would detract from the experience at all if, say the first time you picked up humanity, some text came up on screen quickly explaining its uses, in the same way there's an explanation when you get cursed. Not necessarily a proper tutorial. Or if when you pick up the white soapstone it just said "drop your soapstone to offer help to other players". The co-op in this game is amazing and I don't think it would be a bad idea to point more players in that direction, is all.

Yup. The game could do better with explaining the essentials : co-op, humanity, kindling, leveling, casting magic/pyro etc. Anything more, however, should be left to experimentation.

It drove DSPGaming's Phil mad. That playthrough is lolworthy; because he insists on not using the Internet or other sources of info, he dies several times in so many ways, blaming the game for being "frushtrating". Of course, a normal player would try to play with the controls and see what they did - I know I did that in Firelink with weapons to see how they worked.

His channel...

and the crowning moment:

I would often then watch EpicNameBro's videos to see the contrast. A good guide for melee users.

Derrick01

Banned
Sounded lie a troll comment to me..or he really was genuinely lucky.....I guess another alrternative is he did "stumble on it at high level and pyroed him to death." I've done this....save him for after getting lightning spear and maxed pyro...then melt him and electrocute the dogs.

Without question, one of the most difficult bosses for noobs.

you can follow this formula to win: take two steps, roll to the right side of capra; roll toward stairs, run up stairs turn adn with shield up and spear kill one or two dogs. Jump down (preferably on capra) but jump away form him if h ecomes up stairs, rinse and repeat. Once dogs are gone all you have to do is dodge telegraphed attacks.

I managed to get him finally. Luckily I was able to separate the dogs without him following right away and once they were down my drake sword made relatively short work of him.

Then I progressed a little further and got lost in sewers for half an hour :lol. Eventually managed to dig my way out of it though.

I agree. I like that Demon's and Dark lets you learn things for yourself, but some things should be taught. It was frustrating when I first started Demon's and it was frustrating when I started this game, too.

It's funny, because people always talk about the game being frustrating due to difficulty when they haven't played it. This isn't the case at all - it's just design choices like that which make the game frustrating at first.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
What's up with the stone door in Izalith that looks like the door that leads to the Kiln? I like to imagine the pendant opens that...but obviously it doesn't. :(

I wonder if you have to "use" the pendant somewhere. Anyone tried using it in front of Artorias' grave...the abyss maybe? I guess it's foolish to hope to expect such a thing. If there was a use for it I'm sure some crazy dedicated Japanese players would have already found it by now.

Sullichin

What's up with the stone door in Izalith that looks like the door that leads to the Kiln? I like to imagine the pendant opens that...but obviously it doesn't. :(

I wonder if you have to "use" the pendant somewhere. Anyone tried using it in front of Artorias' grave...the abyss maybe? I guess it's foolish to hope to expect such a thing. If there was a use for it I'm sure some crazy dedicated Japanese players would have already found it by now.

You're not referring to the door that leads to the chaos servant shortcut, are you? Just because that's a really big door.

It's surprising that no one found out what the pendant does yet. Has FROM ever said anything about doing special events for this game or switching stuff up? Like, they sent ultra-strong phantoms to people's worlds when they broke the street date. It would be cool if they changed things around to keep things fresh.

EasyMode

You're not referring to the door that leads to the chaos servant shortcut, are you? Just because that's a really big door.
I think he means the one right after the centipede demon. There's this sealed gate with a crack down the middle that looks like it should open.

Once they update the description of the Pendant, maybe then we will have a better understanding.

Did From say they were going to update the description at some point?

Wool

I don't remember what website, but people looked at the game's code and found two miracles that were in it but were cut from the game. If they were able to find that type of stuff then surely they would have figured out if the pendant actually did something besides trading it to snuggly.

I think he means the one right after the centipede demon. There's this sealed gate with a crack down the middle that looks like it should open.

There are lots of spots like this, especially in the Undead Burg. There's one doorway in particular where the armored boar is that I spent at least a minute just hacking at the flimsy-looking boards blocking the doorway, as you can clearly see a fairly expansive street just behind it that looked like a new area but isn't actually accessible.

sixghost

There are lots of spots like this, especially in the Undead Burg. There's one doorway in particular where the armored boar is that I spent at least a minute just hacking at the flimsy-looking boards blocking the doorway, as you can clearly see a fairly expansive street just behind it that looked like a new area but isn't actually accessible.

The most frustrating area like this is in Undead Burg, on the ramp past the first Black Knight. The one where the flaming barrel rolls down.

There's an opening in the left side of the stairs, and it absolutely looks like you can make the fall and land on solid ground. But it forces you out past the ledge and you fall to your death.

I wonder how much of this stuff was intended to be separate paths, but were hastily covered up near the end of development because of time or quality constraints. There are some things that just look way too much like paths, or illusory walls to not have been at one point.

Derrick01

Banned

The most frustrating area like this is in Undead Burg, on the ramp past the first Black Knight. The one where the flaming barrel rolls down.

There's an opening in the left side of the stairs, and it absolutely looks like you can make the fall and land on solid ground. But it forces you out past the ledge and you fall to your death.

So glad it wasn't just me noticing these things and trying to get to them. They were so close, yet so far away.

I slashed at that like a nutter :(

I slashed at that like a nutter :(

I actually thought that this was the intended path for a while, because I somehow missed the downward stairs into the barracks. I drove myself nuts trying to get past those boards, then I turned around and felt like an idiot.

Also, I wish Anor Londo was larger. There's this HUGE city that you can see, but you are constrained to 2 churches and a bridge.

sixghost

While we're posting stuff like this:

Did anyone else look over the cliff face in the graveyard, on to that town looking area below, and think that was where Blighttown was? My buddy Crestfallen Warrior, was telling me about the two bells, one above in the parish, one below in the swamps of Blighttown.

It took me way too long to find Blighttown because of this, and led to a very confusing journey into the catacombs.
Also, I wish Anor Londo was larger. There's this HUGE city that you can see, but you are constrained to 2 churches and a bridge.
I think that's kind of fitting for that area. You feel like someone who doesn't belong in that place the whole time you're there. Also, I got the implication that no one actually lived in Anor Londo besides the Gods and their servants, so I don't know how much would actually be out there.

While we're posting stuff like this:

I think that's kind of fitting for that area. You feel like someone who doesn't belong in that place the whole time you're there. Also, I got the implication that no one actually lived in Anor Londo besides the Gods and their servants, so I don't know how much would actually be out there.

It was a populated city at one point, but it's currently abandoned except for Gwyndolin and his personal guard. Exploring more of this empty city would have driven this home a little bit more. There are hints of this, like the bedrooms you go though, but it doesn't quite have the "deserted paradise" feel that they were really going for.

the thing with all the dogs near him? No, that's where I'm kind of stuck now :(

Though I imagine he would be pretty easy without the extra enemies.

Here's how I handle Capra Demon:

1. When you run in, go towards Capra Demon until you see him wind up for his attack. The goal is to bait him into swinging so that he doesn't run you against the wall like he normally does and give you nowhere to run. When you walk up close enough, he'll go for it (most likely the jumping double blade smash attack).

2. Roll past him and try to make your way to the stairs. If you get a chance to kill the dogs before then, do it. If not, wait until you get to the stairs then kill the dogs. The dogs have to go, they're the most annoying part of the fight.

3. Once the dogs are down, you can bait Capra Demon into attacking and punish. Step forward until he goes to swing, back up then tag him. He's wide open after the jumping attack, and with the dogs dead you have plenty of room to avoid it. If he does the normal slash attack, be sure to wait until the second swing. If you have Pyromancy or Sorcery you can get on the stairs and blast him, then roll off (you have to be at the top of the stairs to roll off, otherwise an invisible collision barrier stops you) and repeat.

sixghost

It was a populated city at one point, but it's currently abandoned except for Gwyndolin and his personal guard. Exploring more of this empty city would have driven this home a little bit more. There are hints of this, like the bedrooms you go though, but it doesn't quite have the "deserted paradise" feel that they were really going for.

I wonder if it's supposed to be like a physical manifestation of heaven, as you can literally see the gigantic walls of the city from quite a few places in the world.

Sullichin

Here's how I handle Capra Demon:

1. When you run in, go towards Capra Demon until you see him wind up for his attack. The goal is to bait him into swinging so that he doesn't run you against the wall like he normally does and give you nowhere to run. When you walk up close enough, he'll go for it (most likely the jumping double blade smash attack).

2. Roll past him and try to make your way to the stairs. If you get a chance to kill the dogs before then, do it. If not, wait until you get to the stairs then kill the dogs. The dogs have to go, they're the most annoying part of the fight.

3. Once the dogs are down, you can bait Capra Demon into attacking and punish. Step forward until he goes to swing, back up then tag him. He's wide open after the jumping attack, and with the dogs dead you have plenty of room to avoid it. If he does the normal slash attack, be sure to wait until the second swing. If you have Pyromancy or Sorcery you can get on the stairs and blast him, then roll off (you have to be at the top of the stairs to roll off, otherwise an invisible collision barrier stops you) and repeat.

For my second character (just completed Anor Londo), Capra was literally the only place I had real problems with so far. With low level equipment, that fight is a pain in the ass and honestly more difficult than a lot of the bosses that come after it. On NG+ it's a joke because every attack won't rip right through your shitty shield. Funny to think of that stretch of gameplay for a new player. Finally beat Capra, then head to the depths. Don't make a wrong turn ;)

Anyway, on my second character I wound up summoning help after dying to Capra 3 times, twice almost immediately after going through the fog gate. Fuck that. Luckily the person who I summoned had some crazy fire sword and took out Capra before I could blink.

On a related note, I wish I didn't summon someone to help me for O&S this time, it's more fun solo, and he very quickly killed Ornstein first, I wanted his armor!

I wonder if it's supposed to be like a physical manifestation of heaven, as you can literally see the gigantic walls of the city from quite a few places in the world.

Well, as Lordran in general borrows heavily from Greek mythology (Gwyn is basically Zeus minus the origin story and...personal indiscretion), I'd say it's almost certain that that was the intention, with Anor Londo being a Mt. Olympus analogue.

I wish there was a prologue to the prologue.

So the old world was ruled by dragons but there was no fire ?

Did Gywn, The witch and Nito know each other, or did these three random people happen to hang out at the same cave when the first fire erupted ?

Who were the "lords" who possessed these souls that those 3 found around the first flame ? old gods ?

I wish they would flush out the furtive pygmy more, easily the most interesting character in the story which is kinda ironic since they say he's easily forgotten and then proceed to never mention him again.

sixghost

I wish there was a prologue to the prologue.

So the old world was ruled by dragons but there was no fire ?

Did Gywn, The witch and Nito know each other, or did these three random people happen to hang out at the same cave when the first fire erupted ?

Who were the "lords" who possessed these souls that those 3 found around the first flame ? old gods ?

I wish they would flush out the furtive pygmy more, easily the most interesting character in the story which is kinda ironic since they say he's easily forgotten and then proceed to never mention him again.
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that most of the time it's better left to your imagination, rather than have them explain it.

EasyMode

Bed of Chaos is a shit and frustrating boss.

Edit: Done it, but fucking hell, SO SHIT.

IKnowThatFeelBro.jpg

Speaking of this boss, is it just me or
do the holes on the sides open at random locations? I swear, one time the pits on one side opened so that I had to jump from one small platform to another to get to the weak point. I must have died half a dozen times trying to jump gaps like Mario while avoiding his limbs and shit.
Has anyone else encountered this?

2AdEPT

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that most of the time it's better left to your imagination, rather than have them explain it.

^^^^^^this: MIght I be so bold as to suggest that FROM has no story to fall back on? I mean all you got to do for this formula to work is make some loose connections with cool sounding names and world and its probably half as good as a LOTR but makes an impact with far less need for attention to detail.

The only reason we are not getting more information is because it quite simply does not exist.....songwriters do this all the time....its more important to observe a rhyme scheme and use alliteration than to actually have a song that makes sense poetically.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Is the Great Hollow the same big tree you see from the stairs down from the Shrine to the Catacombs?

I'm pretty sure it is. The geography surrounding it certainly looks like Blighttown, though I sort of feel like it's oriented in the wrong direction. Facing the tree from Firelink it seems like the buttresses should be on your left, not your right to align with where the Depths are. It could also be
the tree you see connected to Lost Izalith when you first enter the Demon's Ruins,.

On the subject of Dark Souls geography there's a little something I've been wondering about for a while now. Is there any place in the game where you can see the area where you fight
the Gaping Dragon
from the outside? It seems like it should be visible from either Blighttown or the Valley of Drakes, but I've never noticed it if it is and you can't actually see anything out of the gaps in the masonry to help you get your bearings.

pmj

Spoilerish stuff regarding Solaire follows.

I really want him to live this playthrough. I know that you're supposed to kill all nine bugs in the Izalith shortcut to prevent him from dying, but I tried that last time and failed. They keep running and I must have missed one. I really don't want to risk failure the same way a second time.

If I never unlock the shortcut, will he definitely be safe or will that guarantee his demise? The wiki is very vague on how this works.

2AdEPT

IKnowThatFeelBro.jpg

do the holes on the sides open at random locations? I swear, one time the pits on one side opened so that I had to jump from one small platform to another to get to the weak point. I must have died half a dozen times trying to jump gaps like Mario while avoiding his limbs and shit.

THis has been posted before, but I happened to see it and quickly reverted to it when my own attempts to do it "properly" quickly failed. THis allows for the floor pieces bit to be rendered unnecessary:
1.) travel to first target, kill it. Quit.
2.) REappear at the centre, go to second target, kill it. Quit.
3.) reappear back to centre, progress saved, allow one or two attacks with shield up, fall onto branch where floor piece sticks out, run up path and kill it.

2AdEPT

I really want him to live this playthrough. I know that you're supposed to kill all nine bugs in the Izalith shortcut to prevent him from dying, but I tried that last time and failed. They keep running and I must have missed one. I really don't want to risk failure the same way a second time.

If I never unlock the shortcut, will he definitely be safe or will that guarantee his demise? The wiki is very vague on how this works.

THink you need ot have the shortcut open but I was able to keep him going by avoiding USING the shortcut until AFTER hiring him while doing centipede and talking to him at the start of the normal path through izalith...talk to him there, then go back to the shortcut and all should be ok. mOst people prefer the shortcut to fighting the asses, but you still best do centipede if you wnat to guarantee his path...I did this and when I went back to the shortcut I was able to summon him for gwynn, (now keep in mind I also killed all bugs in cse that didn't work but I did a different order and thought I killed bugs with other character and it didn]t work so take it for what it is)

Couldn't do gwyn solo with the one character , but solaire was the the tip of the iceburg that pushed me over...plus its fun to summon him for PVP help in the kiln. HE doesn't help all that much, unless he is provoked, but it does distract one adversary. Its the moral support right?!?!!???!

THis has been posted before, but I happened to see it and quickly reverted to it when my own attempts to do it "properly" quickly failed. THis allows for the floor pieces bit to be rendered unnecessary:
1.) travel to first target, kill it. Quit.
2.) REappear at the centre, go to second target, kill it. Quit.
3.) reappear back to centre, progress saved, allow one or two attacks with shield up, fall onto branch where floor piece sticks out, run up path and kill it.
Step 3 is harder than you make it sound. I kept getting knocked off on my way there. It felt so cheap. I died about 7 times alone on step 3. The walk to the boss was longer than how long I stayed alive.

Right, with him slayed, I'm ready for the end game. I've spent my souls, used my forging stuff and killed every NPC I can think of.

Tomorrow, I'll finish the game (hopefully) and my epic journey will be over. Dear fucking Christ I love this game, even moreso than Demon's. One of the best ever made, simple as that.

ixix

If you don't open the shortcut he's doomed, guaranteed. I don't think you need to kill all nine bugs, just the one that drops the Sunlight Maggot. It's the only one that doesn't respawn, and it's the Sunlight Maggot that causes the whole problem in the first place.

I've only actually saved him once, since until the patch the quest line to save him was borked on NG+ and beyond, but the basic progression I followed was:

1. Talk to Solaire at the Undead Burg, Anor Londo, and the Altar of Sunlight.
2. Join the Chaos Servants and offer 30 Humanity to attain the third rank.
3. Before fighting the Firesage open the shortcut, kill the bugs, and get the Sunlight Maggot.
4. Fight the Firesage.
5. Before entering Lost Izalith summon Solaire and fight the Centipede Demon.
6. Go back to the shortcut to find Solaire sitting there, still sane but mopey.
7. Summon him in the Kiln to cheer him up by giving him a piece of that sweet last boss jolly co-operation.

Some of those steps are probably unnecessary, but that made the magic happen for my second character.

pmj

If you don't open the shortcut he's doomed, guaranteed. I don't think you need to kill all nine bugs, just the one that drops the Sunlight Maggot. It's the only one that doesn't respawn, and it's the Sunlight Maggot that causes the whole problem in the first place.

I've only actually saved him once, since until the patch the quest line to save him was borked on NG+ and beyond, but the basic progression I followed was:

3. Before fighting the Firesage open the shortcut, kill the bugs, and get the Sunlight Maggot.
4. Fight the Firesage.
7. Summon him in the Kiln to cheer him up by giving him a piece of that sweet last boss jolly co-operation.

Some of those steps are probably unnecessary, but that made the magic happen for my second character.

Complicated! I'm going to do my best to do everything right this time.

Thanks.

2AdEPT

4. Fight the Firesage.

I had two characters goign at the same time so it gets kinda foggy in my memory now, but indeed the one that got the sunlight helm was successful as I got there with the sole purpose of goign back to TOTG with the helm.........where the other obviously had a deranged hollw solaire to kill, and did not require the helm as she had cast light. (IIRC)

Yeah I think the kiss of death was appraoching from the back end to be honest...I didn't get a chance to kill the maggot as he was already dancing on SOlaire's head when I opened the area from the back side.

Ill Saint

IKnowThatFeelBro.jpg

There is no random element to the pits, and there's absolutely no need for any jumping over gaps or platforms at all. It's actually a really straightforward and fairly simple boss if you don't rush it.

ixix

Complicated! I'm going to do my best to do everything right this time.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that the only really, positively crucial part is that
you kill the bug and get the Sunlight Maggot before you beat the Centipede Demon and enter Lost Izalith
, but I'm not absolutely certain. That set of steps is just what I did when I set out with the intention of
saving Solaire
, and is probably a bit more complex than it entirely needs to be. It did work, though.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Since Im pumping points into Int to accompany my Iaito Sword, Im not really sure if I should go Enchanted for better scaling, or Magic for better base damage.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Can you sell the crap you pick up or do you just have to drop it. I don't remember being able to sell anything.

After you pass a certain point in the game.
Go see Kingseer Frampt in Firelink after the second bell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom