• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco1

Hey marco, are you an action RPGer? Have you played Demon's souls first? These are all things that would help us help you, but I will assume you are completely fresh for now. The most important thing is that you try your best to do it on your own. The rewards in this game come mostly from the feeling of achievement you get for overcoming difficult, but fair and very doable odds. I really love the souls series for its combat....easily the best ARPG combat out there...but mixed with the ability to explore, like in Skyrim, the souls experienced is 2nd to none for people that like this kind of stuff. Also, this series has won awards for having the best mulitplayer aspect to any game, and I agree wholeheartedly. DOn't shy aaway from learnign how to play with others invading your world and wathc out for signs on the ground that you can use to summon help. Many on this site will play with you if you need help.

Unless you know for sure you wantto be a faith based, magic, or melee player at the start, its easy to change your stats to fit wahtever playstyle is your liking so your strting choice of player won't limt you too much regardless....the only thing not to do is be a jack of all trades as you pretty much need to specialize in either strength or dex, and magic or faith...you can merge these to a point to get certain weapons working, but for the most part choose a playstyle you want and stick to it earlier in the game....but you have some time to decide. Don't put any points in resistance...its useless. I suggest starting as a pyro as it will give you a glove at the start, and definitely take the master key as a gift, (unless you opt for goign thief in which case you get the master key automatically.) It will give you access to areas sooner than you would normally, and makes the exploring aspect of the game much easier.

AS far as points...you should put points in vitality (max 50) or endurance (max 40) you can go less vitality based on your attack power, but endurnace is pretty much mandatory for all players no matter what theri playstyle preference. The rest accents what weapons you can hold without penalty....but again, choose between strength or dex; magic or faith. You can be pure strength, magic, faith, or dex, bt as far as hybrids, one fighting style one magic style is enough diversity.....pyro is a decent alternative to both magic or faith and melle strength or dex characters can then still have some projectile abilities as well. Pyro scales not with points in your stats but with souls spending, so there is no penalty for trying it out early and switching to something else later...that's why i recommended it for you if you are new. There is a covenant that you can join early on if you wish that will enable you to get reall powerful with pyro real early....if you wish.

If you like challenging punishing (but intelligent and fair) combat my suggetion to you is to explore every where possible beofre making choice on which bosses to clear. Clearing a boss gives you souls and can unlock new areas, but eliminated your hance to host PVP events in that area.....I wish i would have realized the implicationsof this my first playthrough as I love the multiplayer. PLease keep in mind that although some people belive that there is a preferred path to go through bosses, this is not the case at all and although some levels typically punish new players harder than others, all levels are doable a tlow stat points with teh proper strategy...whenthere is a will there is away ...alwasy rememebr this and don't shy away from an area just becuse an enemy is tough....all the enemies are tough.....some more than others, but you can run by a lot of them and get to the next area without engaging most of the time.

You can use wikis to a degree, to figure out how stuff works etc. but limit yourself if you can and experience the rich and detailed world you are now entering....man do I wish I had the opportunity for these virgin experiences more often!!!!

Ask specific questions....one spoiler I will give you off the bat to help with your loot situation....you start in a palce called firelink....
search every nook and cranny in there before moving on...there are quite a few items to find even before you start fighting enemies.
Thanks for the post, much appreciated.

Before even moving on to Lower Burg, I went down to Blighttown and then Great Hollow to farm materials for my sword. Managed to get a bunch of Twinkling Titanite but screwed up and got cursed (first time ever). It kind of sucked to be that weak but I took the opportunity to go to New Londo Ruins and kill off all the ghosts down there. Then, after buying a few purging stones off Ingward I killed him too and got the key. So now I have the Very Large Ember... but I still can't make +15 weapons because I don't have the Large Ember yet :D

Clearing a boss gives you souls and can unlock new areas, but eliminated your hance to host PVP events in that area.....I wish i would have realized the implicationsof this my first playthrough as I love the multiplayer.

My sole reason for doing a NG++ run. Just clearing enough to get the lord vessel and maybe getting to the kiln for high level pvp. Leaving the Forrest alone since it is awesome for pvp.

Derrick01

Banned
Holy shit I just beat Ornstein and Smough with 0 flasks left and about 5% health left. Me and Smough were both down to do or die, 1 hit is the winner and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sweating a bit. Fuck that fight, especially solo.

Derrick01

Banned
So if I do this thing where I place the
lordvessel on the altar at firelink
do I lose it? I don't want to lose my warp tool.

Sullichin

So if I do this thing where I place the
lordvessel on the altar at firelink
do I lose it? I don't want to lose my warp tool.

No, you can still warp. You need to do this eventually, it unlocks the remaining areas. But if you want to join the darkwraiths you should look up the conditions for doing so before doing that.

soultron

Banned
Easiest boss I've faced thus far was Pinwheel. I honestly think it took me about 30 seconds to finish that fight. Havel's set is built for tanking. Haha.

Derrick01

Banned
No, you can still warp. You need to do this eventually, it unlocks the remaining areas. But if you want to join the darkwraiths you should look up the conditions for doing so before doing that.

Thanks. I don't intend to join the darkwraiths on my first run through and I'll just go the "good" path.

Just took down Sif in 1 try. It was easy as hell with my furysword.

Zertez

Pinwheel and Bed of Chaos are the easiest bosses by far, but I didnt have much trouble with Sif or Nito either. Pinwheel I take down in less than 10 seconds every time, I guess if you wait the fight could get out of control the longer it lasts. I dont know why so many have problems with Nito, unless they try to rush him without thinking about adds.

Easiest boss I've faced thus far was Pinwheel. I honestly think it took me about 30 seconds to finish that fight. Havel's set is built for tanking. Haha.

There's a reason that most messages near Pinwheel say "Weakness = anything". XD

That pyro PvP video is amazing. The Dark Hand parry into Great Combustion at the 10 minute mark was all pro.

soultron

Banned
There's a reason that most messages near Pinwheel say "Weakness = anything". XD

That pyro PvP video is amazing. The Dark Hand parry into Great Combustion at the 10 minute mark was all pro.

I'm guessing that the last enemy you defeat determines what
mask
you get?

Sullichin

Pinwheel and Bed of Chaos are the easiest bosses by far, but I didnt have much trouble with Sif or Nito either. Pinwheel I take down in less than 10 seconds every time, I guess if you wait the fight could get out of control the longer it lasts. I dont know why so many have problems with Nito, unless they try to rush him without thinking about adds.

Wat

Zertez

Bed of Chaos is an absolute joke especially after you beat it the first time. Maybe you are confusing him with the Ceaseless Discharge. The Ceaseless Discharge is pretty tough for most. If I had to rank the hardest for me it would be
1. 4 Kings
2. Smough/Ornstein with upgraded Ornstein
3. Ceaseless Discharge
4. Hellkite Dragon melee
5. Quelaag
HM to Seath, Demon Firesage because of his huge range and damage, and Gwyn without riposte.

Sullichin

Bed of Chaos is an absolute joke especially after you beat it the first time. Maybe you are confusing him with the Ceaseless Discharge. The Ceaseless Discharge is pretty tough for most. If I had to rank the hardest for me it would be
1. 4 Kings
2. Smough/Ornstein with upgraded Ornstein
3. Ceaseless Discharge
4. Hellkite Dragon melee
5. Quelaag
HM to Seath, Demon Firesage because of his huge range and damage, and Gwyn without riposte.

Not confusing him with CD. CD can be tough if you fight him legitimately, until you realize you can hide in that alley and bait his attacks safely, and there's also the really easy way of beating him (which I sometimes found difficult to trigger). Bed of Chaos is the only boss for me that's annoying at any soul level. I wouldn't classify it as a very difficult boss because it doesn't reset, but I almost always get knocked to my death at least once when fighting it.

On my low level run, the bosses that I found most difficult were Gwyn, 4 Kings, and Stray Demon.

Zertez

Not confusing him with CD. CD can be tough if you fight him legitimately, until you realize you can hide in that alley and bait his attacks safely, and there's also the really easy way of beating him. Bed of Chaos is the only boss for me that's annoying at any soul level. I wouldn't classify it as a very difficult boss because it doesn't reset, but I almost always get knocked to my death at least once when fighting it.

On my low level run, the bosses that I found most difficult were Gwyn, 4 Kings, and Stray Demon.
I usually dont fall to my death on Bed of Chaos, except when making the last jump. It took a couple tries to get the angle right, but after that it has been a cakewalk at any level now. It is more of a gimmick fight and with most fights like that, once you learn it, it is simple. I guess it comes down to playstyle. Some people find Ceaseless Discharge easy and some struggle with it. I found Nito easy, but some complain and give up on him. Personally I struggled with the Stray Demon for some time, but after killing him half a dozen times he isnt too bad. Now Demon Firesage can still drop me with his huge range and damage before I have time to react.

Sullichin

I usually dont fall to my death on Bed of Chaos, except when making the last jump. It took a couple tries to get the angle right, but after that it has been a cakewalk at any level now. It is more of a gimmick fight and with most fights like that, once you learn it, it is simple. I guess it comes down to playstyle. Some people find Ceaseless Discharge easy and some struggle with it. I found Nito easy, but some complain and give up on him. Personally I struggled with the Stray Demon for some time, but after killing him half a dozen times he isnt too bad. Now Demon Firesage can still drop me with his huge range and damage before I have time to react.

I found most bosses difficult on my first playthrough except for pinwheel, sif, butterfly, and nito. I don't really find any of them difficult now because of how much I've played, unless I'm low level. And now that I think about it 4K at level 15 wasn't too bad, but 4K and stray demon are kicking my ass on my SL1 run.

Is there a bonfire down below in blighttown? If so, where? I'm currently at the bottom of a ramp that lead to an illusory wall on the left side of the swamp.

Sullichin

Is there a bonfire down below in blighttown? If so, where? I'm currently at the bottom of a ramp that lead to an illusory wall on the left side of the swamp.

There's one right after that illusory wall, keep hacking away, and there's also one at the bottom of the swamp which is closer to the boss. If you're facing the water wheel area and it's on your left side, the bonfire is to the right.

Sayah

There is one at the bottom once you take that rotating platform thing to move down. Once you're in the bottom of the swamp, keep to your left on the left side of the wall. You should have to face one or two of those swamp bug enemies before you find the bonfire in a cave-ish area entering to the left.

^
Or follow what sullichin said b/c I guess the directions are dependent on where you are located in the swamp.

Derrick01

Banned
New easiest boss for me: Priscilla. I took about 20% damage at most and just destroyed her. Which is funny because I thought an
invisible boss
would be a huge pain in the ass but it wasn't.

Zertez

Does anyone have a Bandit knife they would part with or possibly trade for something on PSN. I am looking for another one, if someone can help me out please.

Zertez

I felt horrible killing Priscilla. She was peaceful and wouldnt attack you, unless you attacked first. She just wanted to be left alone, but she was considered an abomination so people wanted her dead. Pretty sad story.

Derrick01

Banned
I felt horrible killing Priscilla. She was peaceful and wouldnt attack you, unless you attacked first. She just wanted to be left alone, but she was considered an abomination so people wanted her dead. Pretty sad story.

Ah I see now. Too bad for her though they made her a trophy/achievement so she was going to die regardless.

Maybe next playthrough I'll spare her
probably not though I need the souls

demigod

I really didn't want to defeat Priscilla. And I also couldn't get her tail cut off. :/

I cut off her tail in 2 hits i think with the Dragon Greatsword. After I got it i just used the homeward bone. I did kill her afterwards though. Queelag and Ornstein/Smough(killed him last) were pretty hard for me. Good thing I didn't go after 4 Kings yet. Was about to ask if they're hard.

Then why did you? You can walk right on outta there and leave Pris alone. That's what I did because I don't care about the trophy or her weapons.

Zertez

Then why did you? You can walk right on outta there and leave Pris alone. That's what I did because I don't care about the trophy or her weapons.
Wanted her dagger on my dex build.

Really hate the bag glitch because it has pretty much killed trading. Been looking for a bandit knife for a couple days, but no one seems to want to trade anymore.

Sajjaja

I don't know what covenant to join =/ I was a Forest Hunter for a bit and had some fun with that, but once I did Sif [Was easy, but I fucked up and lost 2 humanity and 61k souls :'(] and got the DWGR, I left it so I don't have to be hassled by those annoying Forest Hunters NPCs. Also, most players I invaded were either total noobs or were PVP all stars or Gang Bangers, the last being the most frequent. This is my first playthrough btw. I've defeated most of the active boss areas so maybe I shouldn't become a Darkwraith this playthrough?

Also, conflicted between Chaos or Fury. Don't know which one to get. And even before that, where can I farm large titanite shards? I need them to make either one. Leaning toward Fury though.

Sblargh

Banned
Got Queelag on my 3rd try. Pretty fun fight, not difficult at all, just a bit long and you gotta know when to back off after hitting, as she has only one really tough attack (that killed me in one hit when I got her to 30% health on my second try. Bitch)

Sayah

Yeah, pretty much this.

I don't know what covenant to join =/ I was a Forest Hunter for a bit and had some fun with that, but once I did Sif [Was easy, but I fucked up and lost 2 humanity and 61k souls :'(] and got the DWGR, I left it so I don't have to be hassled by those annoying Forest Hunters NPCs. Also, most players I invaded were either total noobs or were PVP all stars or Gang Bangers, the last being the most frequent. This is my first playthrough btw. I've defeated most of the active boss areas so maybe I shouldn't become a Darkwraith this playthrough?

Also, conflicted between Chaos or Fury. Don't know which one to get. And even before that, where can I farm large titanite shards? I need them to make either one. Leaning toward Fury though.

If you're new to Dark Souls or more focused on PvE I'd go with Furysword because it's more forgiving. If you're experienced and/or looking for a potential PvP weapon as well, Chaos Blade.

Oh, and there are two places to farm Large Titanite Shards; from the blob enemies in The Depths (the hard way) or the slug enemies in Blighttown (the easy way).

I spoke to Quelana of Izalith and have been upgrading my Pyro glove from her since forever. I just looked on a Pyro guide and it says she'll give you one final item (Fire tempest) if you do her quest of killing "Bed of Chaos". She's not asked me to do that whilst I have been playing, should I just keep talking to her?

I am near the boss fog door of Lost Izalith now so I should really do this.

EDIT: Gone back to her a few times and she has asked me now. There wasn't a Yes/No option, she just asked. I guess that has triggered it, sweet.

Solo'd Four Kings in NG+ on my first try! Only had to burn through 8 Estus and 4 Humanities. And why were there five kings? Another had spawned when I killed the fourth.

2AdEPT

Thanks. I don't intend to join the darkwraiths on my first run through and I'll just go the "good" path.

Just took down Sif in 1 try. It was easy as hell with my furysword.

If you're new to Dark Souls or more focused on PvE I'd go with Furysword because it's more forgiving. If you're experienced and/or looking for a potential PvP weapon as well, Chaos Blade.

Oh, and there are two places to farm Large Titanite Shards; from the blob enemies in The Depths (the hard way) or the slug enemies in Blighttown (the easy way).

As son as ypu ring both bells you can buy large titanite in sens fortress....help out on sens boss, get souls, spend on large shards....less grinding....put on the covetous ring and kill the big fat kight while you wait to get summoned to top up your shard count.

Zertez

Im curious what the highest single hit people have had, excluding bludgeoning when jumping from above. I got a 1913 earlier with a riposte.

Where does Quelana of Izalith go to after killing Bed of Chaos? She isn't at the pillar in Blighttown anymore.

edit: I found her, I went to the wrong pillar!

Aguirre

Fuck rangers. fuck them, seriously. you're trying to deal with some melee shit and you got some pussy long ranging you in the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom