• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

eot

Banned
Also, the fire-dragon (hellkite?) disappeared from the bridge, is there a way to bring it back? I tried talking to the "praise the sun" dude and restarting the game, but the dragon still didn't return. Also, is there a point in time where it flies away permanently stopping you from killing it?

Simply running across the bridge again will do the trick.

red731

Oh my god. I am using a guide to play some more and to get further I've ever did and now that I get fire keeper souls I am so hooked! It is so freaking exhilirating to find another bonfire! That rush even with guide!

This is so exciting! I will proprably switch between this and Bloodborne.
KuGsj.gif

JohnCYQ

Yeah you can go lower but there's really no point. I personally like putting on the most armor that allows me to fast roll. Its like a balance I like to strike to get the most of my build. Keep in mind that you don't have to do that. Its something that I like to do that fits my personal playstyle. Other people do fine mid rolling, I just personally can't stand it and have to have a fast roll.

I would kill him later. It allows you to get 2 decent armor sets out of it and you can revive Anastacia ( the firekeeper Lautrec kills) later. I really like the Dingy set, particularly the top. Has a ton of elemental defense for such a light set. Its a really good light set that I find myself using a lot. The other set is decent, but by then you'll probably have access to few sets that are just better than it but you can always mix and match figure out what looks good on your character. #Fashionsouls ftw!

2. Hellkite Drake doesn't leave the game until you kill it. I believe you have the reset the area by leaving it and coming back. So if you reset at the Parish and came back, he would appear eventually.
Good to know, thanks.

Simply running across the bridge again will do the trick.

Nah, it doesn't seem to work, I just gave up and progressed anyway (wanted to do some soul farming).

=======================================

Okay, so after
defeating the Gargoyle and ringing the first bell (0 deaths w/ no summons, but didn't get the tail weapon)
, I got a little over-confident and went straight to the Stray Demon. RIP 13k souls.

Finally managed to kill Stray after about 30 tries (+5 Zwei) and picked up the rest of the goodies at the asylum. Went ahead and bought the Crest of Artorias, started farming abit. Got enough souls to +3 my elite knight set and +5 grass crest shield.

So, I'm currently at:
15 vit
16 attune
30 end
24 str
12 dex

Not sure where to go from here.

1) I'm hoping that 4 attunement slots are good enough. I'm guessing that I should go for more vit from here on out?

2) I kind of want an alternate weapon to swap to, for fights where I want a faster weapon (Zwei is great but a bit too slow for some fights IMO). What would be a good, fast weapon with decent range?

3) The plan is to go lightning with Zwei, but can you make more than 1 lightning weapon on the first run? Not too sure how this works.

Mistel

Banned
1) I'm hoping that 4 attunement slots are good enough. I'm guessing that I should go for more vit from here on out?

2) I kind of want an alternate weapon to swap to, for fights where I want a faster weapon (Zwei is great but a bit too slow for some fights IMO). What would be a good, fast weapon with decent range?

3) The plan is to go lightning with Zwei, but can you make more than 1 lightning weapon on the first run? Not too sure how this works.
More VIT is fine to invest into. For a new weapon you should use a claymore it's faster than the zwei with decent range and a decent moveset. Lightning is a waste for a zweihander you can make multiple but I don't know why you want one unless you're going do to low level pvp.

JohnCYQ

Took down the Hydra, took like 7~ tries I think. The
wolf + bridge
boss are also optional?

More VIT is fine to invest into. For a new weapon you should use a claymore it's faster than the zwei with decent range and a decent moveset. Lightning is a waste for a zweihander you can make multiple but I don't know why you want one unless you're going do to low level pvp.

Hmm, why is it a waste though? I don't plan to get more str so there's not going to be much scaling for Zwei to work off (and its only rank C str without ascension).

Producer

Hmm, why is it a waste though? I don't plan to get more str so there's not going to be much scaling for Zwei to work off (and its only rank C str without ascension).

because with an elemental, you're splitting your damage. As you progress through the game and enemies get stronger, you wont be doing as much damage as you would with a weapon that is physical only.

Took down the Hydra, took like 7~ tries I think. The
wolf + bridge
boss are also optional?

That boss is deisgned to be fight later, the brigde one is for the ember for the blacksmith-

Infused weapons deals less physical damage and adds little elemental damage so is recommended to use the resines to get the elemental buff without losing the weapon damage.

JohnCYQ

because with an elemental, you're splitting your damage. As you progress through the game and enemies get stronger, you wont be doing as much damage as you would with a weapon that is physical only.

That boss is deisgned to be fight later, the brigde one is for the ember for the blacksmith-

Infused weapons deals less physical damage and adds little elemental damage so is recommended to use the resines to get the elemental buff without losing the weapon damage.

So...if I want to keep to Zwei as my main weapon, I'll probably have to invest into str? Wouldn't there be better weapons for str builds in that case (with better scaling)?

I just checked the wiki and Zwei remains at str rank C even with standard path +15.

So are back stabs in this game supposed to be highly random? In PvE, I'll be in pretty much the same position behind an enemy, and yet it will only give me the backstab a 10th of the time. In Anor Londo, it even varies with what weapon the knights are wielding. If they have a sword then I can occasionally get any backstab in, but if they have a spear then it seems pretty much impossible. Why would a different weapon result in this affect if their armor is entirely the same?

In PvP, I've been killed by so many warping back stabs that I never want to see another invader in my game ever again. This could probably be down more to lag, but it is super frustrating that to me it looks like I have maneuvered behind them to get a chance at a backstab, when the next thing I know they are backstabbing me and have warped behind me.

I don't remember this being so finicky demon souls.

Mistel

Banned
So...if I want to keep to Zwei as my main weapon, I'll probably have to invest into str? Wouldn't there be better weapons for str builds in that case (with better scaling)?

I just checked the wiki and Zwei remains at str rank C even with standard path +15.
You don't have to invest in STR to use the zwei as a main weapon. If you want to use STR weapons then there's the demon great axe, demon greatsword, and the man serpent greatsword.

I got the itch to play this, and the PS3 version is the only version I have yet to play. Set up my PS3, waited for the update, waited for another store update, then searched for Dark Souls.

It's not there. Even went onto its page on the store, you can buy DLC, but you can't buy the game. I got Demon's Souls and Dark Souls II from the PS3 store. What the hell.

I really want to swing the Longsword, guess I'm playing it on Steam.

The soft cap for STR weapons is around 40 but some heavy STR weapons requieres more STR like the weapons Storm mentioned in some cases like 50 STR.

gogosox82

Good to know, thanks.

Nah, it doesn't seem to work, I just gave up and progressed anyway (wanted to do some soul farming).

=======================================

Okay, so after
defeating the Gargoyle and ringing the first bell (0 deaths w/ no summons, but didn't get the tail weapon)
, I got a little over-confident and went straight to the Stray Demon. RIP 13k souls.

Finally managed to kill Stray after about 30 tries (+5 Zwei) and picked up the rest of the goodies at the asylum. Went ahead and bought the Crest of Artorias, started farming abit. Got enough souls to +3 my elite knight set and +5 grass crest shield.

So, I'm currently at:
15 vit
16 attune
30 end
24 str
12 dex

Not sure where to go from here.

1) That should be fine. I usually only go three slots.

2) Depends on what kind build your going for. If your making a str build, the reinforced club and the pickaxe could to mind as good alternatives for weapons that are faster and lighter.

3) I wouldn't go lightning with the zwei. I would just +15 it and use a buff or resins for extra damage. A +5 lightning zwei does have a higher AR than a +15 zwei but the +5 lightning zwei will check against two defenses. So the wiki says it does 650 but if you fight enemies with lightning resist (and you will later on in the game) you'll be doing like 300 or 400 damage.

Isn't the whole split damage is worse thing highly overblown in pve? You can have a weapon of each damage type and just switch depending on what you are fighting. I've done high strength and dexterity builds in pve and never found the large stat investment worthwhile, other than having fun switching things up.

Made decent progress in Anor Lando till I get to the part with the silver knight archers, fucking bastards.

I think I died at them 30 times on my first play through and nearly broke a controller.

Now I get thru them first try and honestly forget what all the difficulty was.

My method is run up the ramp to the top and low equip load, Sprint right, roll through the first and second arrow, and then shield up angled toward the knight. He swings a few times, falls to his death.

Mistel

Banned
Isn't the whole split damage is worse thing highly overblown in pve?
No it isn't it plays a large role in the combat itself due to the way resistances and damage works/calculated. If you've done high STR/DEX builds for pve and not seen the worth of investing in the respective stats, what were you using equipment wise?

Gorillaz

Made decent progress in Anor Lando till I get to the part with the silver knight archers, fucking bastards.

I think the anor lando archers where the first time since the beginning of the game where I seriously was tired of "it". It's such an obtuse design and on first visit it's fucking ridiculous to see those big ass metal arrows heading your way out of nowhere

I was lowkey laughing and pissed that all you had to do was just get close to the one on the right (with the aim off) and shields up and just let him do a move and fall to his death

I think the anor lando archers where the first time since the beginning of the game where I seriously was tired of "it". It's such an obtuse design and on first visit it's fucking ridiculous to see those big ass metal arrows heading your way out of nowhere

I was lowkey laughing and pissed that all you had to do was just get close to the one on the right (with the aim off) and shields up and just let him do a move and fall to his death

Sometimes it feels like Dark Souls is a game made in a vacuum that just happens to be good, in spite of some absurd design choices. But you'll figure out that you have options that are just as silly and cheap as the archers have, and most things will never be an issue again (except Blighttown). Straight sword black/ silver knights are also the easiest enemies in the game to parry when you get close.

AndyB1974

It's been a while since I last played Dark Souls, but with all the recent Bloodborne hype I've felt like starting up again. Made it to Anor Londo and the Ornstein/Smough battle and man, I'm getting my ass handed to me time after time. Closest I've come is one hit away from killing Ornstein. The guide says there should be a summon sign on the steps leading up to the fog gate but I've never had that unfortunately.

No it isn't it plays a large role in the combat itself due to the way resistances and damage works/calculated. If you've done high STR/DEX builds for pve and not seen the worth of investing in the respective stats, what were you using equipment wise?

Dex was an assortment of the katanas, and strength was everything from large/great clubs, black knight weapons, man-serpent greatsword, zweihander, and other weapons with B scaling or better. Big damage was only noticeable on the weapons that are slow anyways, and the extra 20+ points I put in strength could have been an early boost in vit/end, or faith/int on that type of build.

I used a divine halberd (16s/12d) almost the entire game on my faith build, only switching when something had high magic resist. I enjoy leveling weapons, so I had a +14 or +15 in the wings in case I ran into something strong against all types of magic, but I never needed it. Fire and lightning weapons came in handy though.

I mean, I'd roll a strength guy again just because the weapons are awesome, but as far as multiple times through ng pve, nothing stood out, while almost everything was viable when upgraded with whatever path.

Mistel

Banned
Dex was an assortment of the katanas, and strength was everything from large/great clubs, black knight weapons, man-serpent greatsword, zweihander, and other weapons with B scaling or better. Big damage was only noticeable on the weapons that are slow anyways, and the extra 20+ points I put in strength could have been an early boost in vit/end, or faith/int on that type of build.
There's far more to DEX than just katanas. Big number you're in part relying on the bigger slower heaver weapons if you want to go +600 without going crystal on STR builds but they are far more the exception than the rule. Plus there's the whole soft caps and the hard caps for both to take into consideration you can still do high STR builds with low VIT and END it depends entirely how well you understand what you've got weapon wise and how best to use it.

As for the divine halberd NG+ is not really where the difficult starts to ramp up once you get onto the NG+++ (arguably some parts of NG++) and beyond you'll understand whilst applicable slightly to the lower difficulties doesn't necessarily mean much later as the enemies HP increases and they get far stronger.

There's far more to DEX than just katanas. Big number you're in part relying on the bigger slower heaver weapons if you want to go +600 without going crystal on STR builds but they are far more the exception than the rule. Plus there's the whole soft caps and the hard caps for both to take into consideration you can still do high STR builds with low VIT and END it depends entirely how well you understand what you've got weapon wise and how best to use it.

As for the divine halberd NG+ is not really where the difficult starts to ramp up once you get onto the NG+++ (arguably some parts of NG++) and beyond you'll understand whilst applicable slightly to the lower difficulties doesn't necessarily mean much later as the enemies HP increases and they get far stronger.

So I need to play the game through 4 times on the same character for the advantages of non split damage to show in pve...ah.

Mistel

Banned
So I need to play the game through 4 times on the same character for the advantages of non split damage to show in pve...ah.
No I am not saying that at all, bosses show the resistance traits right from the beginning, than applies to the grunts of the game. As the difficultly climbs it gets far more noticeable.

No I am not saying that at all, bosses show the resistance traits right from the beginning, than applies to the grunts of the game. As the difficultly climbs it gets far more noticeable.

What bosses don't have a weakness to some type of elemental damage? There is magic, fire, and lightning to choose from.

Booshka

Elemental is only super nerfed in the DLC btw. In the main game, you can still manage pretty well with Lightning and Fire.

In the DLC, they actively nerfed any and all elemental/magic damage into the ground. You can still melt like a motherfucker with buffed weapons, and do plenty of flat elemental damage in the main game.

With a +15 Zwei, just take your STR/DEX to 27/20, respectively, 2 hand it and you will do plenty of damage.

If it is Lightning or Fire/Chaos, then all you need is 16/10.

Well, pyro is my new favourite build. Best Gwyn without taking a single hit. +5 ascended mitt with bellowing dragon ring and dark moon crown just annihilated him with great combustion. Finished him off with a fire tempest for the hell of it.

I can't believe the damage output against all the second half bosses. The only challenge I faced was queelaag as she is invincible to fire. When helping folks with O and S, pyro just shreds them.

Greatest game of all time.

Well, pyro is my new favourite build. Best Gwyn without taking a single hit. +5 ascended mitt with bellowing dragon ring and dark moon crown just annihilated him with great combustion. Finished him off with a fire tempest for the hell of it.

I can't believe the damage output against all the second half bosses. The only challenge I faced was queelaag as she is invincible to fire. When helping folks with O and S, pyro just shreds them.

Greatest game of all time.

The game replay value is really a big surprise when you try different builds and see everything dies in a different playstyle

gogosox82

Isn't the whole split damage is worse thing highly overblown in pve? You can have a weapon of each damage type and just switch depending on what you are fighting. I've done high strength and dexterity builds in pve and never found the large stat investment worthwhile, other than having fun switching things up.

The question really is does he want to do that when he can just +15 a weapon and use a buff to get extra damage.

Also what kinds of weapons have you been using? I mean the uchi does like half the damage when its +15 if you were just at the requirement (14 str, 14 dex) than if you had 40 dex.

JohnCYQ

Elemental is only super nerfed in the DLC btw. In the main game, you can still manage pretty well with Lightning and Fire.

In the DLC, they actively nerfed any and all elemental/magic damage into the ground. You can still melt like a motherfucker with buffed weapons, and do plenty of flat elemental damage in the main game.

With a +15 Zwei, just take your STR/DEX to 27/20, respectively, 2 hand it and you will do plenty of damage.

If it is Lightning or Fire/Chaos, then all you need is 16/10.
Is there a reason for 27 str? I've sort of decided to go for 24str/40 dex and get a dex-scaling weapon to swap to (for fights where Zwei is too slow) since dex would benefit the cast speed for my pyros as well.

Sif is 100% not optional
he drops an essential item to fight another boss needed to complete the game
, but you can do him whenever you like.
Good to know, thanks.

======================

Okay, got through Depths and Blighttown (pain in the ass), killed Quelaag and rang the second bell. I'll probably go farm up more souls at the Crest of Artorias area to upgrade my pyro gloves more.

Question though.
1)
At the base of the "tower" in blighttown (coming from Depths) before you meet the first Cragspider, I noticed that there were about 1-2 items that were behind the wall and I couldn't find a way to reach them. If anyone knows what I am talking about, how do I reach those items? (its near the fog wall).
2) So I'm near
Demon Ruins
and from what I know, I can technically
run up to the boss room (Ceaseless Discharge) and grab one of the best armor sets in the game, but if I do so and not kill the boss, he will be permanently aggro'ed the moment I enter the zone next time. So, does he become stronger if I take the armor first or does it not actually matter?

Also, does he count as the area boss for Demon Ruins? He seems beatable for me but I don't want to miss the second Kirk invasion since I don't have the lordvessel yet

Mistel

Banned
Is there a reason for 27 str? I've sort of decided to go for 24str/40 dex and get a dex-scaling weapon to swap to (for fights where Zwei is too slow) since dex would benefit the cast speed for my pyros as well.
It's for low level STR builds means you don't go full whack up to 40 or 50 like you would for some of the larger STR weapons. You can go to 28 if you prefer the greatsword to the zwei though means you can single hand it if need be.
1)
At the base of the "tower" in blighttown (coming from Depths) before you meet the first Cragspider, I noticed that there were about 1-2 items that were behind the wall and I couldn't find a way to reach them. If anyone knows what I am talking about, how do I reach those items? (its near the fog wall).
2) So I'm near
Demon Ruins
and from what I know, I can technically
run up to the boss room (Ceaseless Discharge) and grab one of the best armor sets in the game, but if I do so and not kill the boss, he will be permanently aggro'ed the moment I enter the zone next time. So, does he become stronger if I take the armor first or does it not actually matter?

Also, does he count as the area boss for Demon Ruins? He seems beatable for me but I don't want to miss the second Kirk invasion since I don't have the lordvessel yet
1 is the whip I think unless you're talking about the wall hugger which will be worth you killing to collect the pyromancy it guards. As for 2 it doesn't matter if you take it it pisses him off but that's about it, he ain't the area boss so you can still kill Kirk afterwards.

Kirk won't invade in the Demon Ruins until
you have the Lord Vessel, so you can do all that area (except the boss which is behind an orange fogwall that is removed when you place the Lord Vessel), and still come back later for the Kirk invasion.
Also unless you're doing the Ceaseless skip, you can't get to the Kirk invasion spot without killing Ceasless any way.

SHarris78

Just reached Lordan (sp?), yes thats right, i'm right at the start of my first ever playthrough (DSfix installed of course). I don't usually like difficult games, so i've picked a right one here!

Quick question - what does kindling do at bonfires? I can't do it yet, just wondering.

Booshka

Just reached Lordan (sp?), yes thats right, i'm right at the start of my first ever playthrough (DSfix installed of course). I don't usually like difficult games, so i've picked a right one here!

Quick question - what does kindling do at bonfires? I can't do it yet, just wondering.

Increases the amount of Estus Flasks that a Bonfire gives you. 5, 10, then up to 20 with a certain item.

You can get every bonfire up to 10, just so long as you Reverse Hollowing, then Offer Humanity to the Bonfire, that will permanently increase the amount of Estus Flasks you get.

SHarris78

Increases the amount of Estus Flasks that a Bonfire gives you. 5, 10, then up to 20 with a certain item.

You can get every bonfire up to 10, just so long as you Reverse Hollowing, then Offer Humanity to the Bonfire, that will permanently increase the amount of Estus Flasks you get.

Thanks for this, and the non-spoiler!

Hopped into Anor Londo for some PVP last night for the first time in a month or two, had a great time. Cool to see the game so active, hopefully it doesn't drop off dramatically with Bloodborne.

Got passed those archer bastards and now at the bonfire with all those Silver Knights. Upped my attunement and now I'm carrying Great Fireball and Great Chaos Fireball and Heal. Is the Gargoyle Halberd and Silver Knight Straight Sword any decent?

Tarkus

Got passed those archer bastards and now at the bonfire with all those Silver Knights. Upped my attunement and now I'm carrying Great Fireball and Great Chaos Fireball and Heal. Is the Gargoyle Halberd and Silver Knight Straight Sword any decent?
SKSS is a pretty good DEX weapon with decent damage and a nice moveset. It's easy to upgrade with Twinkling Titanite too.

Mistel

Banned
SKSS is a pretty good DEX weapon with decent damage and a nice moveset. It's easy to upgrade with Twinkling Titanite too.
It's outclassed a lot by some of the higher DEX scaling weapons but as far as a straight sword goes it's a pretty good choice moveset and reach wise.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Just about to kill
Gaping Dragon

This is my first playthrough, started years ago and just picked it back up.

I'm using a Winged Spear +3 right now. Plan to go with a spear or similar weapon if possible as I enjoy this moveset. Is there another weapon I can get sometime soon that will last me a good while? I don't mind spoilers but as minor as possible.

Mistel

Banned
I'm using a Winged Spear +3 right now. Plan to go with a spear or similar weapon if possible as I enjoy this moveset. Is there another weapon I can get sometime soon that will last me a good while? I don't mind spoilers but as minor as possible.
There's a better spear you can either get not to far along or about mid way depending on your actions. It's got a similar moveset but scales differently being quality C/C and has a higher base damage plus its the biggest spear. But in the mean time you might want to upgrade your winged spear.
And if I recall correctly, you can buff it - which is unique for a BK/SK weapon.
Pretty sure that's correct can't think of any others.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
So the general consensus is that the quality of the game begins to drop after Anor Londo...what are you guys' thoughts about this?

I feel it's a bit unfair. The game does get easier - certainly (aside from Gwyn) no boss requires me to git gud like Ornstein and Smough did - but I think part of it is that I'd begun to master the game a bit more.

I thought the Catacombs and Tomb of the Giants were tense and intimidating and I liked (ie was terrified of) the skeleton beasts. I also loved the final area before Nito.

New Londo might be my favourite area in the game - the lore and atmosphere were really something, and the Four Kings are my favourite boss from an aesthetic perspective.

I'm less keen on the Duke's Archives but I think that's due to the colour scheme and I know nobody seems to like the Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith but I really don't mind them. Entering Lost Izalith for the first time was a great experience.

Also, does nobody mention the Painted World of Ariamis? It's an amazing area, on par with Sen's imo.

Painted World is indeed great and it shows that it was first area worked on for the game.

I personally like Dukes, the small puzzle of the stairways, it's confusing at first with all the floors - intentionally so I think. The prison section is unique too. I don't consider the Catacombs post-AL since you can do them any time. I guess post-AL there's just a lot less discovery and shortcuts like in the first section - taking the lift back down to Firelink Shrine for the first time, or finally getting out of Blighttown and realising you're so close to safe ground again when you realise where the exit brings you out (if you didn't already go that way with the master key!), that's amazing and the linear paths to the Lord Souls don't offer that - so I can see why people think the second half is weaker.

Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith suffer because of the enemy and level design, but the idea and look of the areas are just as strong imo, but it does tarnish the experience that it's a whole of lot of recycled monsters to fight down there with not much exploring to do.

The Llama

So I'm playing through for the first time, and just beat
gaping dragon
(do I even need to spoiler tag things? lol). It was actually super easy but I felt like I was hardly doing any damage to him (using the drake sword), and the weapon I got from killing his tail does almost twice as much as mine (but requires 50 strength, IIRC from looking it up). Right now I'm at soul level 31. Should I be at a higher soul level? Or am I doing well so far?

So I'm playing through for the first time, and just beat
gaping dragon
(do I even need to spoiler tag things? lol). It was actually super easy but I felt like I was hardly doing any damage to him (using the drake sword), and the weapon I got from killing his tail does almost twice as much as mine (but requires 50 strength, IIRC from looking it up). Right now I'm at soul level 31. Should I be at a higher soul level? Or am I doing well so far?
It's not so much your soul level as your weapon. The drake sword is fine very early on, but it's soon out-classed by almost any other weapon upgraded, it's kind of a notorious trap/newbie helper.

Since you've done the Depths you should have the large ember which will allow you to take a weapon along the normal upgrade path to +10 (9 titanite, 9 large titanite)
take the ember to Andre who can then ascend a +5 weapon to +6
. You've probably picked up loads of weapons, find one you like the moveset of and upgrade it. Check the stats that it scales well with (strength, dex), when you level up those stats it will gain a larger damage bonus.

The drake sword will probably still do you ok for the next area, but after that it's going to be an uphill battle and you will really notice how poor it is in comparison. SL31 sounds about par for the course for where you are on your first playthrough, so no problems there :)

Top Bottom