• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

kodt

Banned
It certainly does not look good. But it looks good enough to still capture the dark desolate mood and to still offer a good experience.

No real benefits over console except a more reliable framerate, but if you don't have a console and are at all interested, it seems like it would be worth buying. It's not going to show off your PC of course.

Seeing so many cracked versions being downloaded and played is depressing enough but then to see them commented on as though it's representative of the full final product is actually pretty sickening too.

Oh well, I'm sure there are a million nonsense reasons people would use to justify it. Aaaaaaaaand that's why so many games in the future will be free to play.

_machine

Final fantasy XI had an framebuffer with a max res of 1024x1024 (though this was alterable in the registry, but in 7 or so years SE never patched in higher options).
Well at least it would've been native res of the monitor I had at that time. The equivalent woul've probably been like 640x480 and like you said, there were workarounds.

Also, 4:3 users are pretty screwed without letterboxing and with it isn't exactly nice...

QaaQer

Seeing so many cracked versions being downloaded and played is depressing enough but then to see them commented on as though it's representative of the full final product is actually pretty sickening too.

Oh well, I'm sure there are a million nonsense reasons people would use to justify it. Aaaaaaaaand that's why so many games in the future will be free to play.

and designed to run on underpowered arm devices, kinda sad.

_machine

Also, if I use an online GFWL profile to make my saves, will I be able to play those saves offline?
Yes, as long as you use the same account and sometimes GFWL doesn't want to recognize your old saves after for example a format even with the same account and exactly same files.

Pirates gonna pirate, but if the game provides a good value at a reasonable price then I would guess most pirates would just buy it.

Gaben explained how after offering value and service, Russia which is known to be pirate heaven, became the second biggest buyer of games in all of Europe.

patapuf

there are multiple DRM solutions that are 100% secure for day zero piracy, Steam being among them. GFWL is not.

Is it bannable to post pictures found online?, I just found a pic with some improvements using a FXAA injector, starting to look passable.

I feel, the feelings i have for this game out weighs the low res art assets and low res frame buffer. It's the same feeling i had with Diablo 2 and it's shitty resolution.

Here's hoping Dark Souls fans can enhance the game engine to give us higher res and some artists redo the art assets and give us HD textures.

_machine

Pirates gonna pirate, but if the game provides a good value at a reasonable price then I would guess most pirates would just buy it.
Using a crack on a retail version you've already got in your hands isn't cracking though, right?

I actually had no idea the game was cracked already, just played it with my friend who'd gotten the retail box without Steam so I assumed it was playable already. Didn't realize that GFWL hadn't unlocked the game yet.

Anyway, I'll get to put some hours on the unlocked game tomorrow and will post my impressions from the game and from the port then.

Wait a minute, if I output the video for the PC version to the same tv I played the ps3 version on, it's going to look worse?

Or is it only going to look worse for people trying to run it above 720p on very high resolution monitors?

Zeliard

I'm still hoping this is all one big mistake, and in a few days the problems will be easily fixable or we find out it at least uses a 1280x720 framebuffer. But if the game's as great as everyone says, ultimately I will forgot all the flaws and be lost in the atmosphere and world the game creates. That or wait a few months and hope things get straightened out. :)

It's an amazing game, easily the best to come out of the consoles along Demon's Souls this gen. That's what makes it so sad.

People who already played it on consoles and are getting it on PC largely know what to expect, and can better deal with the issues. What I find unfortunate is that a lot of players won't even give it a shot due to the technical problems, and that others who will could have their experience tainted by the shoddy port job.

But we knew it would look like this for months now. Why does everyone feel the need to shit up the thread and reiterate the same point over and over again?

This is kind of hilarious coming from a guy who cries about comparatively minor technical issues in every PC game thread.

kodt

Banned
Wait a minute, if I output the video for the PC version to the same tv I played the ps3 version on, it's going to look worse?

Or is it only going to look worse for people trying to run it above 720p on very high resolution monitors?

It probably won't look worse at all. PS3 might have better internal scaling, but really it should look exactly the same.

It looks worse on PC mostly because people are using higher res monitors and sitting much closer. Also, PC monitors usually don't have the same upscalers built in that TVs do.

wutwutwut

Even so it's a top seller on Steam right now, ahead of even ARMA with the DayZ craze. I think it'll manage a few hundred thousand copies at least, and probably more if the technical issues get fixed.

mxgt

Banned

If you play it on a 720p tv you probably won't notice a difference

However when you sit close to a 1440p monitor like I do... it's going to look pretty horrendous

_machine

Anything I can do to mitigate those sometimes?
Use the Save Manager posted in the op and well...pray for based gaben or whatever it is that you believe in...

Seriously, though most of the time I couldn't give a rat's arse about GFWL, but when things go wrong they really go wrong big time.

Maybe Xliveless will work with this game, removing GFWL completely.

Someone needs to test it.
Wouldn't that mean no multiplayer?

Use the Save Manager posted in the op and well...pray for based gaben or whatever it is that you believe in...

Seriously, though most of the time I couldn't give a rat's arse about GFWL, but when things go wrong they really go wrong big time.

Wouldn't that mean no multiplayer?

Yeah, but for some people losing GFWL is worth it. Personally my ps3 had nat issues so I never got to really enjoy the online so Im actually looking forward to it.

_machine

Yes, but it's meant mostly for people very much against GFWL, plus it moves the position of the save-games and removes the "woe" factor when saving.
Yeah, I'd take no multiplayer before GFWL any day, just wanted to make sure since I remembered that multiplayer in some games didn't work with xliveless.

EDIT: Apparently I'm a member now, I have no idea what the requirements for that are though :)

What a mess. Was seriously thinking about getting it but this is just terrible, don't want to support something like this. Maybe if they patch it later on.

i was really hyped for the pc version but gfwl + these graphics? Sorry i will not support this :/

Yeah, Im waiting for (more) impressions of smooth framerates but still, that GFWL is a bitter pill to swallow though. Graphics dont bother me much, playing on the same TV I played the ps3 version on.

Sethos

Banned
Yeah, I'd take no multiplayer before GFWL any day, just wanted to make sure since I remembered that multiplayer in some games didn't work with xliveless.

EDIT: Apparently I'm a member now, I have no idea what the requirements for that are though :)

Will you be trying out Xliveless then, let us know whether it works or not?

And you become member at 300 posts :)

Zeliard

As horrible as GFWL is, and it certainly is, Dark Souls multiplayer is still something you want to experience if you haven't before. I'd use the save game editor and at least give it a shot.

Before/After - using FXAA mods...

gCyCi.jpg

The guys at /v/ are trying hard to fix it.

Geoff9920

As horrible as GFWL is, and it certainly is, Dark Souls multiplayer is still something you want to experience if you haven't before. I'd use the save game editor and at least give it a shot.
This. Considering how heavily multiplayer is integrated into the game you'd really be missing out.

_machine

Will you be trying out Xliveless then, let us know whether it works or not?

And you become member at 300 posts :)
Yeah, I'll try it as soon as I get there tomorrow. I'll also ask to try if we could try it on my 5850/i920 combo since his 560ti and 2600K beats my system.

Also, I'm glad I finished Skyrim for a while, I only played for around an hour, but the combat is magnificient. I did get my arse handed to me, but in a good way :)

Geoff9920

For those actually planning to play the game... :p The the steam pre-load is up. If you don't see it just restart steam and it should appear.

Top Bottom