• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC) - New interviews, details, artwork/screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tain

still waiting for the level of confirmation that would warrant all of the super-confident assumptions that this will have zero visual options.

Eusis

Man, I don't get why the PC crowd is entitled to such a "superior" version.
Because they spent money for good, expensive PCs (or otherwise received them anyway) for the sake of running stuff well, and the last thing they want is for that to be squandered with arbitrary locking, especially on resolutions. This is one of those cases where "entitled" being thrown around really can mean "yes they rightly expect to see that" rather than blowing out of proportion someone's complaints. That, and for every mysocksarepink that only has a gaming PC (seemingly) and is glad to have the chance to play it, there seem to be 10 who played it on consoles and love it enough to buy AGAIN to play it better. This is less like wanting an HD-DVD as a blu-ray and more like wanting a DVD released as a blu-ray for these people.
I think the swamp in demons was worse than bligjtown. Fuck that great hollow tho
Performance wise they were better, generally. If it wasn't it was probably because you were about to die anyway.

Maedhros

Go for it I'd say

Sadly, because With the horrible GFWL (your save game can go bye bye anytime), 30fps,no graphics upgrade,locked res at 720p(or maybe even less) there is no advantage anymore for the PC version, if anything GFWL alone gave the console version the real advantage here.

and you can say that Blighttown is meant to be that way and pretend it's playable and all fine just like Ninja Gaiden 2 fans with the staircase fight.

I bet even with 720p/30FPS lock the game will run a lot better than the console versions on most powerful rigs.

ArjanN

Go for it I'd say

Sadly, because With the horrible GFWL (your save game can go bye bye anytime), 30fps,no graphics upgrade,locked res at 720p(or maybe even less) there is no advantage anymore for the PC version, if anything GFWL alone gave the console version the real advantage here.

Nah. Much better off waiting for more confirmation on this stuff.

From Software finally becoming fairly mainstream, getting a ton of love as developers, not changing their core principals as game developers, possibly reviving their first person dungeon crawlers on iOS, and all the while getting everyone mad.

Glorious days ahead
awesome gif[IMG]

Golden King Lyle would be proud.[/QUOTE]

wait what

Massa

Go for it I'd say

and you can say that Blighttown is meant to be that way and pretend it's playable and all fine just like Ninja Gaiden 2 fans with the staircase fight.

You can make up even more "facts" to diminish the PC version, but just based on the extra content alone it's already the better deal.

If this turns out to be true, the game will probably be popular enough to have fan made hacks to fix things like framerate, resolution, and possibly even mods.

sleepykyo

Thinking about just picking up the console version on the cheap and seeing how this all pans out. I'm assuming the Ps3 version is the better version

Not sure I get the reasoning behind this. While it isn't up to pc standards, native 720p and a locked 30fps would still be an improvement over the console versions.

Is it an issue of the consoles being hooked up to 720p tv while the desktop/laptop is running the 1080p/etc resolutions?

casabolg

Banned
DancingSolaire.gif

www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470742

Hesemonni

Banned
Blighttown is a bit sluggish, but no problem. Lost Izalith on the other hand...

Anyway, I'll be buying the game to support the cause.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm44/nailsthefox/DancingSolaire.gif[IMG]

[url]www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470742[/url]
[url]www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470742[/url][/QUOTE]

GUYRA

Nope. Conservatives broke that one out during/right after the 08 election to convince people they don't really deserve the things they've become accustomed to. They've done brilliantly. I hear it used almost every day now in some way.
thank you. i was going to post the same thing but you were way ahead of me and said it so much better than i would have. that word really is aggravatingly overused. fuck its idiotic subtext.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm still in.

My projector is 720p anyway, so I'll just add AA.

The 30fps does suck, but I can deal.

This is literally the only way I can play this game (which will still be one of the greatest gaming experiences this gen, PC or otherwise).

Can't wait!

Derrick01

Banned
Uh can we ban "entitlement" yet? Thanks.

It's technically banned already, it's in the banned sites/memes section of the FAQ.

If someone is trying to explain what they think about something, either treat them with respect or don't reply at all. So when you post "u mad", "deal with it", "haters gonna hate", "the GAF hivemind", "the usual suspects", "but GAF said x and now they're saying y!!!", "entitled whiners" or anything else that suggests that you don't care what other people think, you may be banned if it is taking away from discussion

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So Dark Souls PC |OT| Prepare to Cry, pretty much? Shame if the port really is..that barebones. Darksiders level port would be fine with me but..scaling resolution? Ew.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I bet even with 720p/30FPS lock the game will run a lot better than the console versions on most powerful rigs.

Yes, of course. The console versions do not run at 720p, and have frequent frame drops. Still a great game, but even with these recent gimping revelations, the PC version still likes to be the one to get.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
A lot of quote-unquote "entitlement" is simply people acting betrayed and angry when their expectations aren't met.

I don't mean to point the finger at anyone in this thread specifically, (note that I haven't accused anyone of entitlement here) but that's basically the problem.

Take the frame-rate thing. If Miyazaki doesn't want to commit to it 60-fps, its going to be for a real, practical, reason under the circumstances he finds himself in.

Now you might not like, or agree with those reasons, but as he's unquestionably in a more informed position than anyone posting (I don't think any FROM engineers lurk here, but whatever), and is the man charged with delivering the product on a certain date, people shouldn't be in such a rush to second-guess him.

The guy clearly cares about his work, and is competent enough to have his name toplining two of the best console games of this generation, but you're going to hang him out to dry over this specific thing... sheesh. Tough crowd.

Its ok to be disappointed, but when what you're getting bent out of shape over is just an assumption of yours based on non-specific general expectations... It seems ungracious and unreasonable to me.

D3RANG3D

A lot of quote-unquote "entitlement" is simply people acting betrayed and angry when their expectations aren't met.

I don't mean to point the finger at anyone in this thread specifically, (note that I haven't accused anyone of entitlement here) but that's basically the problem.

Take the frame-rate thing. If Miyazaki doesn't want to commit to it 60-fps, its going to be for a real, practical, reason under the circumstances he finds himself in.

Now you might not like, or agree with those reasons, but as he's unquestionably in a more informed position than anyone posting (I don't think any FROM engineers lurk here, but whatever), and is the man charged with delivering the product on a certain date, people shouldn't be in such a rush to second-guess him.

The guy clearly cares about his work, and is competent enough to have his name toplining two of the best console games of this generation, but you're going to hang him out to dry over this specific thing... sheesh. Tough crowd.

Its ok to be disappointed, but when what you're getting bent out of shape over is just an assumption of yours based on non-specific general expectations... It seems ungracious and unreasonable to me.

I am only speaking for myself here, If you I am assuming here that you are a console gamer 1 hardware config 1 control method 1 resolution etc. that may be fine for you, to me not so much I want to be able to try different input methods and have native resolutions. PC as a platform is about choice my friend.

Gvaz

Banned

Miyazaki isn't posting here on gaf, no need to suck up to the guy so much.

Massa

I am only speaking for myself here, If you I am assuming here that you are a console gamer 1 hardware config 1 control method 1 resolution etc. that may be fine for you, to me not so much I want to be able to try different input methods and have native resolutions. PC as a platform is about choice my friend.

PC is a platform that is open to anyone to create whatever they want, and you as a gamer to play whatever you want. If someone wants to create an interactive movie, a deep strategy game that uses every key in your keyboard, or an action RPG that plays with a controller it's the choice of the designer to do so. It is not a platform for the gamers to dictate how games are designed.

I can't speak for the framerate but that's stupid to feel grateful about getting a game that you can't even play on your resolution. It's an industry standard and Namco is ignoring it to make this as cheap as possible. That's NOTHING to be grateful about.

For crying out loud, nobody said anything about not being able to play the game in your resolution.

mxgt

Banned

I doubt he could give one good reason for it being locked at 30 instead of 60

I'd like to see this being enforced. Not that I want people to be banned but it's really detrimental to any discussion. Fucking annoying.

I got banned for calling someone entitled many months ago before it was appearing in every topic

I wish it was enforced more, I'll probably never use the word again now thanks to it's sudden over-use (and mis-use)

Eusis

Aren't keyboards for typing?

+1 for controller as their first preference. More games need to do this.
Most console focused/originated games DO do this these days actually. You only have bizarre cases like Mass Effect and Bioshock 2 that buck this. There is the issue with PC native games, but go praising the Witcher 2 in its thread for that.

Gvaz

Banned
Pssh, entitled whiners. We already know the game will load on startup and is not filled with trojan horses. What more do you crybabies want?
I know you're joking but this is why people should shut it about the entitled shit because at this point it's really just trolling.

PC is a platform that is open to anyone to create whatever they want, and you as a gamer to play whatever you want. If someone wants to create an interactive movie, a deep strategy game that uses every key in your keyboard, or an action RPG that plays with a controller it's the choice of the designer to do so. It is not a platform for the gamers to dictate how games are designed.

I think nobody is saying From is obliged to support M+KB etc. it's just the sensible thing to do.

Brannon

If by 'this specific thing' you mean this and the other things as well.

On an off note, since this is rumored to be GFWL coming in a short amount of time, this could most possibly be the 360 version ported over. The one with all the save hacks, unless FROM has fixed that problem or GFWL squelches it. If not, let's add that thing to the list.

Eusis

Anyways they DID promise support, but "minimal" support. As long as they don't utterly botch it in some way (like being dumb and now allowing remapping) it'll probably be the best one could reasonably expect without a serious reworking of the gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom