• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Remaster SWITCH Review Thread

Fbh

original.jpg

Since the Switch version comes out today and isn't directly comparable to the remaster on other platforms I think it deserves its own thread.

Metacritic: 8.4/10 based on 27 Reviews
No open critic since I couldn't find a way to get an average score of just the Switch version

IGN 9.5/10
Dark Souls Remastered is a technically better version of an already-exceptional game. While the Switch version may lack some of the higher-end features available on other platforms, it still presents a more pristine version of the original, and importantly adds the exciting and absorbing dimension to explore Lordran on a portable device.

Game Revolution 8/10
The world design is second to none, and the game’s intertwining stories come together in a way that From Software—and its imitators—have failed to match. I continue to experience and find new things hidden away in Lordran’s darkest corners, and the Switch version lets me do that on the bus.

God is a Geek 7/10
There’s no denying that handheld Dark Souls is still a cool concept, but its struggling framerate makes it difficult to recommend too highly.

So it seems to be a sort of mid step between the PS4/XB1/PC version and the original console release with the big bonus of being playable on the go. At least it still gets a decent resolution bump compared to Ps3/360 and it sounds like the horrible framerate of Blighttown has been fixed. Visually it also sticks closer to the original which in some areas I actually prefer to the remaster on other platforms.

Hopefully digital foundry makes a video about this. The IGN reviews seems to indicate it sticks pretty close to the 30fps target while the god is a geek review says it doesn't.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I just can't imagine this being played with the joycons or whatever the little things are called.

Codes 208

Im still waiting for DF to do an analysis of the framerate/resolution. Im hoping for a locked 30fps at atleast 900p
I just can't imagine this being played with the joycons or whatever the little things are called.
Seperately? Absolutely not. Together as the grip controller? It'd work fine, I played through all of botw with the grip controller and that controlled just fine. Handheld mode may be a bit jarring though.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Im still waiting for DF to do an analysis of the framerate/resolution. Im hoping for a locked 30fps at atleast 900p

Seperately? Absolutely not. Together as the grip controller? It'd work fine, I played through all of botw with the grip controller and that controlled just fine. Handheld mode may be a bit jarring though.

Those little sticks and little buttons will just make a hard game impossible. For me it would be a pro controller or play a big boy console. But if you are only going to play it docked, then just skip it on the Switch.

Last edited:

Fbh

According to IGN it's 1080p in docked mode and 720p in handheld.
For reference the original console release was 1024x720 so even in handheld mode it's an upgrade (although not a very big one).

#Phonepunk#

Banned

i thought so too but then i enjoyed playing the network version with separated joycons. this is one of the appeals of the Switch to me, i like having a lighter controller. the bricks of the bigger systems are so unnecessary.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
i thought so too but then i enjoyed playing the network version with separated joycons. this is one of the appeals of the Switch to me, i like having a lighter controller. the bricks of the bigger systems are so unnecessary.

True, but if a device could prove why asymmetric sticks layout is bad on your hands for an FPS or any game where you use the right analog stick a lot it would be the Switch in handheld mode.
Left stick for movement and right stick for camera and with the right hand index and middle finger on the R1 and ZR buttons is a recipe for hand cramps...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So wait... IGN gave it a 9.5, even though it lacks high-end features of the PS4/XboxOne/PC versions, performs worse as well (frame-rate wise), yet those other versions got 9.0.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Codes 208

Ign has never been consistent with reviews.

Then again im more impressed about a handheld playing dark souls than i am ps4 being able to play a relatively superior port of a ps3 game.

So wait... IGN gave it a 9.5, even though it lacks high-end features of the PS4/XboxOne/PC versions, performs worse as well (frame-rate wise), yet those other versions got 9.0.

giphy.gif
Yeah, I don't get this either.

It's cool to have Dark Souls on the go and I think portability should factor into the final score. But the other versions have significant technical advantages over this one.

It would be like rating the PS4/X1 version of DOOM a 9.0 but the Switch version a 9.5.

Tevious

It's a little strange with the thin R1 L2 buttons and at least for me, having the d-pad buttons below the analog. The main thing that I have difficulty with is that since I'm on a Nintendo system, I keep thinking the A button is confirm instead of B, so I keep backing out of menus or jumping backwards to collect items (which is going to get me killed eventually).

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The Nintendo bonus is real.

Hell, even the OG on the PS3/360 got a 9.0 from them.

I know different people do different reviews, etc., but...

Funny how they keep the reviews the same for the PS3/360/PC (now PS4/XB1/PC) across the board (to avoid debates and stuff?), and have been for a quite a long time now, yet... not the Switch. :pie_roffles:

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yesss ... my copy was dropped off around 5. i defeated the gargoyles and explored Darkroot Garden, which looks as good as ever. then i went into Blighttown and die several times attempting to get to the swamp bonfire. performance was rock solid throughout. audio is compressed and that is more of a thing at some times than others. overall the audio compression doesn't really bother me but i would be happy if they fixed it. i noticed some lower resolution scaling during some effects heavy scenes like sitting at a bonfire etc. but overall the image is very a sharp 1080p w that classic lighting.

hecatomb

Banned
I dont really trust reviews for souls games, cause they only review the single player mode, they don't talk about lag, and server issue problems. They also don't know anything about glitches, aka toggle escapes, dead angles, weapon swaps, spell cancels, backstab toggle escapes, and tumble buffs.

Last edited:

Kagero

It’s great! 720p on a screen that small looks just ask good as 1080 on the TV. It’s actually blowing my mind that I can play this on a hand held. Good times.

Greedings

What’s wrong with the joy cons? They work absolutely fine. Sure not the best control I’ve ever held but certainly not the worst, and good enough to do the job.

The reviews for this game don’t matter at all. You either want to play dark souls on your switch, or you don’t. If the frame rate is fine, I will buy it. Even if the frame rate is like the original, I’ll get it. I just want to play the game again on the go.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
on the go play is amazing. the game looks incredible and plays like a dream. even Blighttown is pretty smooth. framerate drops are very tiny.

control wise it actually plays better with joycons than PtD did on Steam. the Steam release kept fucking up my controls, swapping buttons and axis, sometimes just not working at all. movement was pretty stiff on PC but control here is more fluid.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I played with the Joy-Cons on the network test. Didn´t have any trouble at all. They were very comfortable.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
What’s wrong with the joy cons? They work absolutely fine. Sure not the best control I’ve ever held but certainly not the worst, and good enough to do the job.

The reviews for this game don’t matter at all. You either want to play dark souls on your switch, or you don’t. If the frame rate is fine, I will buy it. Even if the frame rate is like the original, I’ll get it. I just want to play the game again on the go.

You can play with them yes, but if they were symmetric like on the Wii U controller they would be more comfortable for FPS and games were you use both analog sticks and shoulder buttons a lot. Beyond the “I warped my hands playing on Xbox 360 for years” I am not sure I have heard on anatomy related argument for asymmetric sticks especially as extreme as on the Switch in handheld mode.

JimboJones

The A and B button placement is kinda silly, should have had a toggle for switching the placement around. But seems like a good port if portable play is your jam. No reason for PS/Xbox fans to be so insecure, your versions won't disappear because of a +0.5 score from IGN ha ha.

JimboJones

online play is part of the game, unless you are a casual and just suck at pvp, or don't want to co-op with anyone.

Digital foundry deals with performance/graphics, its not a review. So unless online play has some effect on the graphics I dont see why they would mention it.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Audio degraded.
Graphically closer to PS3/X360 version.
720p handheld, 900p - 1080p docked
stable 30 fps overall

Better framerate than on Xbox 360, but still drops to mid to low 20’s on some boss battles and some heavy scenes. Also, some fill rate heavy effects like alpha blended particle effects (and some other shader effects) are toned down compared to the Xbox 360 release. Almost definitive version of the game and great in handheld mode and not full price... so a win I would say :).

Halo0629

I have it on switch and it runs pretty well. Never ever use the joycons when playing though because it sucks.

I hate to say this but is there any reason the Switch shouldn't be able to handle a 2011 game in 60fps?

It’s great! 720p on a screen that small looks just ask good as 1080 on the TV. It’s actually blowing my mind that I can play this on a hand held. Good times.

It is pretty nifty to be able to play it on the go, I'd love to see the look on someone's face in 2011 explaining this to them.

hecatomb

Banned
If you can only repeat one sentence in this thread you will be removed. The focus of analysis like this is offline as online is subject to too many variables to accurately gauge performance. Offline experience is consistent and can be measured.
Top Bottom