• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkest Dungeon |OT| A festering mecca of antediluvian evil

Freeman76

Well, I agree with this:

There's essentially no fail state,
except in New Game +
the town keeps getting better and new heroes will always keep coming in.

So there is a sense of building towards something? I dont enjoy roguelikes because it feels like im never making progress, and i can spend hours on a playthrough without actually getting anywhere. This game sounds really interesting though i am tempted by it. The last RL i bought was enter the gungeon and it was a waste of money and i vowed to never buy another one after that.

ArjanN

So there is a sense of building towards something? I dont enjoy roguelikes because it feels like im never making progress, and i can spend hours on a playthrough without actually getting anywhere. This game sounds really interesting though i am tempted by it. The last RL i bought was enter the gungeon and it was a waste of money and i vowed to never buy another one after that.

Yes, you build up the town and unlock harder dungeons/bosses, the heroes are pretty expendable in the long run.

That said Enter the Gungeon is also a great game IMO.

Freeman76

Yes, you build up the town and unlock harder dungeons/bosses, the heroes are pretty expendable in the long run.

That said Enter the Gungeon is also a great game IMO.

I can see why people enjoyed ETG, im just really shit at it which meant i dont get past floor one lol

I've been playing this game pretty much non stop since launch on PS4. The patch solved the crashing completely for me.

I love the classes, balancing stress, items, money etc etc.it's just so good and the narrator is awesome.

Been looking at this game a lot lately, as recently mentioned you continue building up the town and more hires come in frequently but is there a point where you eventually have to restart and try a brand new run? I've never been good at rogue likes or even rogue lites and I like having characters than I can build up to be stronger even if I end up killing off most of them.

Been looking at this game a lot lately, as recently mentioned you continue building up the town and more hires come in frequently but is there a point where you eventually have to restart and try a brand new run? I've never been good at rogue likes or even rogue lites and I like having characters than I can build up to be stronger even if I end up killing off most of them.
Not really. you can always get new characters even if you lose them all and as you upgrade the town permenantly things get more manageable. It's pretty well thought out.

Freeman76

Not really. you can always get new characters even if you lose them all and as you upgrade the town permenantly things get more manageable. It's pretty well thought out.

This sounds a lot better than the traditional roguelike where you end up with nothing for your efforts if it all goes tits.

Why didn't they support touch screen controls on the Vita version of the game? It would have solved many of the games issues.

Enjoying it a lot so far though, just seneslessly clunky. Vita version is bad because the rear touch screen switches characters causing all manner of UI navigation issues, but the PS4 version isn't awful once you learn how to do anything, incredibly unintuitive though.

So far I'm really enjoying it though. I had a party die but no one important. Yet, I haven't been able to complete any of the main objectives. Something that sort of irritated me was the Witch encounter, the first boss... without a ranged attack how are you supposed kill her? It seems impossible. It's pretty crap to get to the end of a dungeon only to lose purely due to the fact that you don't have an appropriate team composition for what is in itself, an extraordinarily gimmicky fight.

Mark L

Why didn't they support touch screen controls on the Vita version of the game? It would have solved many of the games issues.

Enjoying it a lot so far though, just seneslessly clunky. Vita version is bad because the rear touch screen switches characters causing all manner of UI navigation issues, but the PS4 version isn't awful once you learn how to do anything, incredibly unintuitive though.

So far I'm really enjoying it though. I had a party die but no one important. Yet, I haven't been able to complete any of the main objectives. Something that sort of irritated me was the Witch encounter, the first boss... without a ranged attack how are you supposed kill her? It seems impossible. It's pretty crap to get to the end of a dungeon only to lose purely due to the fact that you don't have an appropriate team composition for what is in itself, an extraordinarily gimmicky fight.

You had nobody capable of hitting rank 3 or 4? Unfortunate :(

You know you can flee in mid-battle, right?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

Bounty Hunter, Hellion, Grave Robber, Highwayman, Man at Arms, Houndmaster, Jetser, Plague Doctor, Arbalest, Occulist, Vestal can all hit her.

What the heck was your party, 4 Lepers and Crusaders?

HotHamBoy

This sounds a lot better than the traditional roguelike where you end up with nothing for your efforts if it all goes tits.

You know, that's not strictly true. Roguelikes are sort of an arcade approach to RPG design where the goal is to see how far you can get. While many games feature a total reset upon death, many more compensate you in some way. Shiren the Wanderer has persistent events and sidequests. The world will remain changed even when you are back at level 1. And it is possible to bank items and gold. Izuna allows you to keep your experience, so you can eventually grind through it. I think the real progress is your own: you get better, you learn strategies.

Have you played the Mystery Dungeon games?

Even with new DLC on the horizon, I find this game very hard to return to after playing it a lot. It just feels so unrewarding, unfair and unfun.

Redlogic

I picked this up for the cross play, as I really just wanted the vita version. Regardless of bad UI decisions ( I'm forever tapping the rear touchpad), im hopelessly addicted to it. Never played it on PC, but my Vita is now a DD machine only. I couldn't endorse it more highly.

Sanctuary

Even with new DLC on the horizon, I find this game very hard to return to after playing it a lot. It just feels so unrewarding, unfair and unfun.

Totally agree. I actually beat the game once, and never felt like replaying it ever again after discovering how it all plays out from start to finish. Wholly unrewarding, and actually very little "skill" based at all. It's just too random.

ArjanN

Totally agree. I actually beat the game once, and never felt like replaying it ever again after discovering how it all plays out from start to finish. Wholly unrewarding, and actually very little "skill" based at all. It's just too random.

Don't agree with this at all.

Jinjo

This game keeps constantly crashing on my Vita. It's bullshit. Like I can barely set out on a dungeon. Anyone else have this problem?

ArjanN

Is there a way to upgrade the amount of loot your heroes can carry?

No, the tradeofff is bringing less supplies. It's usually not that much of a problem though, just keep the most valuable stuff. Since the antiquarian update I just go on specific loot runs with them.

CaptNink

No, the tradeofff is bringing less supplies. It's usually not that much of a problem though, just keep the most valuable stuff. Since the antiquarian update I just go on specific loot runs with them.

Cool - thanks! I thought I was missing something.

The font is pretty damn tiny on Vita. No way to change that right?

I knew going in that PC players were not happy with the Vita or even PS4 controls, I'm having no problem there, but the small ui and font is adding another layer to an already pretty dense game.

Late Flag

Is there a way to upgrade the amount of loot your heroes can carry?

Yes, bring an Antiquarian with you. She lets you stack more gold in each spot, and you also pick up antiques (unique to this class) that are worth quite a bit and stack nicely as well. You'll make a lot more loot with her in your party than you would without her.

Of course, she's mostly a complete liability in combat.

Jobbs

Banned
I can't figure out how to equip trinkets on my characters. The interface seems miserable (or maybe I'm just stupid..).

I also can't figure out how to determine how hungry my party is in a dungeon. I don't see any meter for it and suddenly I got penalized for hunger without any warning.

K.Jack

I can't figure out how to equip trinkets on my characters. The interface seems miserable (or maybe I'm just stupid..).

I also can't figure out how to determine how hungry my party is in a dungeon. I don't see any meter for it and suddenly I got penalized for hunger without any warning.
There is no food meter. At the start of every dungeon, tiles with hunger procs are randomly place. If one doesn't trip, the chance of triggering it goes up every time you backtrack over it.

This is what we have on trinket equipping:

Brace yourself.

You're on the hamlet screen
- Hold R2
- Select character
- Press square
- You can now release R2
- Navigate character screen with d-pad or analogue left until you reach the Equipment tab in the bottom left
- Press Triangle
- Choose trinket in the newly opened trinket window
- Press X
- Choose one of the two slots
- Press X again
- Sigh with relief

At no point during the process should your fingers touch the rear pad because it either switches characters or the roster sorting list.

For some reason it seems you cannot select a trinket and then a character to equip it.

Yup. Makes no sense. D-pad for character switching would work just fine. And give me the option to toggle instead of holding.

Found another way by accident.

In the trinket menu press R on Vita (R2 on PS4 I think) and press square on the hero. Then you can just move the trinket by pressing X and moving it over to the left.

Having played a bit more, right analog stick should be character switching and with a modifier key the selection of what room you want to go towards. That way they don't use the touchscreen but it will still be better, as character switching is way more common than room direction.

Jobbs

Banned
Ew. I got a character who has deviant tastes and love interest. In other words, he can only use the brothel for stress relief, but he's not allowed to use brothels..

K.Jack

Ew. I got a character who has deviant tastes and love interest. In other words, he can only use the brothel for stress relief, but he's not allowed to use brothels..
"It is done. Turn yourself now to the conditions of those poor devils who remain."

Ancestor has a quote for everything. Use him up and cut'em loose.

Ohnonono

Just started this on vita a couple days ago after LUSTING for it forever. Game is amazing. I got used to the weird UI stuff and am really diggin in now. Is it a viable strategy to take in characters you don't give a crap about and get as much loot as you can before abandoning and then cutting them loose?

CazTGG

Just started this on vita a couple days ago after LUSTING for it forever. Game is amazing. I got used to the weird UI stuff and am really diggin in now. Is it a viable strategy to take in characters you don't give a crap about and get as much loot as you can before abandoning and then cutting them loose?

That is the winning strategy: Use characters with too many/horrible quirks to get as much coin and heirlooms as possible in order to improve the troops and facilities you plan on using before dropping them in favor of a new batch of poor souls to seek more gold.

DrArchon

This is how you get through the early game. Dark runs are totally a thing for when you need cash and heirlooms. Snuff that torch and haul ass to grab as much loot as you can.

Remember, there's a reason that characters are an infinite resource.

Ok i think I need some pointers on how to maximize my efforts.

I find that I don't want anyone to die but you guys are saying troops are expendable. I've spent tons of gold upgrading skills, weapons, de-stressing but I'm probably playing wrong.

I've only completed the first goal and the next one is the apprentice necromancer and I feel I'm not making any real progress. Any advice??

Edit: and what is a good combination of characters to have in a party of 4?

Jobbs

Banned
I mostly have my mind around the controls and I'm playing without too much trouble, but my big remaining problem is it feels difficult to manage my roster of characters. If I hold R2 and try to scroll down, it keeps bouncing back up even though there are still people below the screen.

There are some tabs that seem to sort them by pressing L1/R1 while holding R2, but I have no idea what they do exactly.

Ok i think I need some pointers on how to maximize my efforts.

I find that I don't want anyone to die but you guys are saying troops are expendable. I've spent tons of gold upgrading skills, weapons, de-stressing but I'm probably playing wrong.

I've only completed the first goal and the next one is the apprentice necromancer and I feel I'm not making any real progress. Any advice??

Edit: and what is a good combination of characters to have in a party of 4?

I slowly started upgrading my favorite classes at level 1 or 2 but only a bit.

As far as good combinations (disclaimer: I'm a newbie still playing the early game) I can vouch for:

[first in list is first in line]

>>hellion / hellion / occultist / houndmaster

First hellion relies on "let it bleed", second hellion double stuns. Occultist for healing and clearing corpses. Houndmaster for bleed, debuff and stress relief.

>>leper / leper / occulist / houndmaster

Self heals, great debuffs, stress relief. Lepers hit like trucks. What's not to like?

>>Highwayman / Highwayman / occultist / Houndmaster

Permanent point blank rotation. That is all.

To make some dough:
>>Antiquarian / Highwayman / Vestal or occultist / Houndmaster or plague doctor

Antiquarian casts protect me on Highwayman. Highwayman enters riposte. Awesome combo. Antiquarian also works well with man-at-arms (because riposte)

Basically I heavily rely on Occultist and Houndmaster on the back spots because frankly, up to this point, I haven't seen anything better.

CaptNink

This is how you get through the early game. Dark runs are totally a thing for when you need cash and heirlooms. Snuff that torch and haul ass to grab as much loot as you can.

Remember, there's a reason that characters are an infinite resource.

Daaaamn...I forgot about that. I've been so concerned with loading up on torches and keeping my adventures well lit. No wonder I haven't been scoring huge piles of loot.

Jinjo

Haven't had any crashes since I installed the latest patch. Did you do that?

Yes it installed with the gamedownload. It crashes every single time I press the back touch (right side), which you pretty much always need to do to start a mission. Absolute shit, how did this get through QA?

Kinda debating to get this refunded. Yeah I can play it on PS4, but I bought it primarily for Vita.

K.Jack

>>leper / leper / occulist / houndmaster

Self heals, great debuffs, stress relief. Lepers hit like trucks. What's not to like?

You get ambushed, hit with a confusion attack, the back row gets dragged forward, or run into the Shambler, and the Lepers get moved to the 3rd and 4th position. GG.

Freeman76

You get ambushed, hit with a confusion attack, the back row gets dragged forward, or run into the Shambler, and the Lepers get moved to the 3rd and 4th position. GG.

Haha exactly what i thought when i read that line up. Maybe for level 0 missions but beyond that HELLS NO

Top Bottom