• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkest Dungeon |OT| A festering mecca of antediluvian evil

Havnt played in a while but its release on ps4 has tempted me to go back to it. I play it using steam controller which works pretty well. I got to the point where i killed the first version of all the bosses and now on the harder versions.

What i liked doing was finsing a less typical team that works. While i have your typical healer tank dps teams my fav is:
2 abominations on the front 2 rows.
Occultist on row 3 and hunter (dude with dog) on back row.

The front abomination tanks and dps in beast mode
The second stuns and blights
Occultist is utility
Hunter is dps and stress heal.

All can self heal and occultist can heal others when needed. You can swap the abominations possition if one needs to sit back and heal as well. I remember it working pretty well.

Hopefully the fix the ps4 abd vita versions because it really is a great game.

I've been waiting for so long for the game to be released on vita and I missed the pre-order rebate. Still made the purchase.

EDIT: please note that devs are actively collecting and listening feedback and patching improvements already.

First impressions on vita:
+ love the concept, the art, the narrator and the gameplay mechanics. GREAT STUFF
- UI is absolutely horrendous in its current state:
  • barely legible text
  • not graphic button prompts only commands (thank you game for telling me to press [help] for getting help but what IS the help button?)
  • icons are the size of a fly fooprint wiht no labels
  • navigation makes zero sense to me (yet?): am I supposed to be press X or square or start to confirm something? Should I be holding the left or right bumper while doing that? Who knows? It's all a gamble. It's slightly better during combat and dungeon crawling
  • Relying on the rear touchpad for essential AND common tasks (like switching or navigating between characters) is a mind-boggling decision. If you're like me and cannot hold the vita comfortably without touching the rear pad you'll be constantly and unvoluntarily shuffling your character roster
  • d-pad and left analogue stick have the exact same functions exept in a couple of instances where - for some reason - they don't
  • there seems to be no audio or visual feedback when you try to confirm some commands (it's particularly unnerving on the embark screen)
- bugs (?) :
  • the Y/X axis controls for map navigation are reversed (WTF?) and when you try to navigate the map IT AUTOMATICALLY MOVES AWAY FROM VIEW
  • game crashes

As far as I'm concerned, playing the game is a constant struggle against the UI (mostly in between dungeons). I'm willing to hang tough because the actual game is great and I hope to adapt but man this is a disappointing port on this front.

A fine example of the confusing UI. Choose a mission by pressing X highlighting it and then START (I think?).

Easily the most confusing UI and interaction I've experienced in years, on both the PS4 and the Vita. There's no consistency with interaction in the game itself (ie. if there's a deviation from the established norms, at least there should be a consistency within the game itself), and there's a general lack of consistency with established norms (ie. x is always confirm). Lack of any audiovisual feedback on interaction and any precedent for choices means it's just very, very hard to learn how to play this and remember what everything does.

Game is tremendous, though. Hope this is cleaned up, but IMO interaction needs a complete overhaul.

CaptNink

Played a bit last night, and yes, the UI is hot garbage. But I'm not going to let it kill my enjoyment of this game, cuz this game is deep! So much to it - I love it! Exactly the type of game I've been looking for to play on the Vita.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Having played some more on Vita I think as long as the way you switch characters is taken off the back-touchpad and put on a more sensible place I'm personally pretty okay.

That way I can manage pretty well, even though it's baffling that it launched in this state. It's as if nobody actually played it.

danowat

Banned
Add me to the list of baffled people, the vita UI is bizarre in the extreme.

That plus the crashes makes for a harsh experience.

Late Flag

I have been told it crashes often on the PS4. Like...first time/every time you enter a dungeon type of often.

Can anyone confirm this?

My (limited) experience is that yes, it crashes pretty often. I'd say I've played for about 4 hours and had 3 crashes, with all of them occurring just as I was starting a dungeon. The good news is that those crashes don't seem to cost any progress -- they're just annoying. I assume this will get fixed, so I'm not too concerned.

My (limited) experience is that yes, it crashes pretty often. I'd say I've played for about 4 hours and had 3 crashes, with all of them occurring just as I was starting a dungeon. The good news is that those crashes don't seem to cost any progress -- they're just annoying. I assume this will get fixed, so I'm not too concerned.

Darkest Dungeon an annoying mess of delight as confirmed by Late Flag!

Alright...so it saves often enough that it's not a disaster. Still strange how something like that makes it through testing and approval.

Sad to see the port is so abysmal considering how long it took. Reminds me on how disappointed I was with Dragon Fin Soup for the Vita, as it's entirely unplayable with that font (which is already too small in the PS4 version). Really can't understand what devs are thinking sometimes.

danowat

Banned
Sad to see the port is so abysmal considering how long it took. Reminds me on how disappointed I was with Dragon Fin Soup for the Vita, as it's entirely unplayable with that font (which is already too small in the PS4 version). Really can't understand what devs are thinking sometimes.
It just makes me wonder who tests these things.

CaptNink

I haven't experienced any crashes yet, and I've done two dungeons so far. (Keeps fingers crossed).

Love that Hellion character so far - a real bad-ass! And who would think a Leper would kick so much ass!

CRASHING FIXED AS CONFIRMED BY LASTGAMER84!

...thanks. Hopefully it's just a sporadic or situational sort of thing until they can get it patched. I've been really looking forward to playing this on console.

To be fair my PS4 doesn't have a stock hdd, which sometimes seems to help me skirt random issues. That or God loves me more, but then again I do have red hair :)

Lynx_7

Newbie player but here's my two cents:

- Don't get attached to heroes. They absolutely are and need to be expandable. Don't hesitate to ditch them or send them on suicide runs.
- Start by upgrading the first two trees of the coach (at least a couple of notches) so that you have access to a more diverse roster.
- Don't ever go in a dungeon with a charater above 40 or 50 stress unless you're doing a suicide run.
- Cut your losses and leave the fight/dungeon before wiping!
- Characters will die or get mad. Probably both.
- A tank/dps/dps/healer might be easier to manage in the beginning but isn't compulsory. Be on the lookout for characters that have self-heals/stress relief skills.
- Use AOE skills sparingly. It's incommensurably better to have 1 mob dead than 2 half alive.
- Two heroes of the same class don't necessarily start with the same skill set (this confused me a lot at first)
- You can't camp in short dungeons (so no need to worry about camping skills in the beginning)

Thanks a lot, knowing characters are supposed to be disposable is gonna save me a lot of headache since I'm usually pretty paranoid about keeping everyone alive in games with permadeath.

bender

What time is it?
I have been told it crashes often on the PS4. Like...first time/every time you enter a dungeon type of often.

Can anyone confirm this?

It crashes a lot and I've only played for a few hours. The crash always occurs after you set your provisions. The last crash I experienced dumped me into a dungeon minus the provisions I had set prior the crash. I'm going to wait for a patch before I continue on.

Game is great on PS4.

My only gripe is with the controls/UI - unintuitive beyond belief.

Sometimes hold to access menus, sometimes not. Sometimes Cross to confirm, sometimes Triangle.

The game is really fun but I feel half of it is just navigating simple commands and making sure you press the right button.

A few instances of improper placement when investigating/opening/disarming stuff like a prompt shows but I need to move a little closer to use, stuff like that.

Game is solid tho.

ScribbleD

Is anyone getting a new set of crashes on PC? As soon as I boot the game up it immediately crashes. It's been a few months since I last played, so this is a new issue for me.

Edit: Checked around on the Steam forums and saw one person suggest anyone who is running Nahimic to kill the exe and that worked for me.

danowat

Banned
Is there a little primer anywhere for the stats, their descriptions and what the text means?.

When you select a skill you get a stream of text telling you what it does, some of it is straightforward, some not so.

I'm assuming the dmg stat modifies the Base dmg state of the equipped weapon? So if it says dmg-100% it doesn't actually do any damage?

CaptNink

Is there a little primer anywhere for the stats, their descriptions and what the text means?.

When you select a skill you get a stream of text telling you what it does, some of it is straightforward, some not so.

I'm assuming the dmg stat modifies the Base dmg state of the equipped weapon? So if it says dmg-100% it doesn't actually do any damage?

I found this guy's video really helpful for understanding the game mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkyu4QJ20zo

It just makes me wonder who tests these things.

980x.jpg

"It's fine"

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

Darkest Dungeon Wiki.

I wouldn't spoil yourself on much, outside of reading up on the classes and checking what items to use on Curios.

maomaoIYP

Been waiting for this to come onto PS4 since it was announced on PC. I'm addicted as shit. The UI is also shit unfortunately, but still I can't stop playing.

labx

Banned
Ok, I 've tried to like this game on ps4. But the UI is horrendous. I think this is the worst UI that I have encounter in years of gaming. I think this game does not work in consoles, too much stuff going on.

Chance

Had some amazing "just get me some cash, I don't care if you live or die, I'm firing you all after this" runs last night. 2 Occultists, a Plague Doctor and a Grave Robber (lvl 0) pulled in like 7k on a short run.

THEN an Occultist, a Grave Robber, an Abomination and an Antiquarian who was tanking (! - all level 0) raked in TWENTY GRAND on a medium Weald run.

"Thank you so much. Seriously, great job everyone. You're all fired."

"I think I left a part of myself down there..."

"Pam will validate your parking. Good travels!"

Had some amazing "just get me some cash, I don't care if you live or die, I'm firing you all after this" runs last night. 2 Occultists, a Plague Doctor and a Grave Robber (lvl 0) pulled in like 7k on a short run.

THEN an Occultist, a Grave Robber, an Abomination and an Antiquarian who was tanking (! - all level 0) raked in TWENTY GRAND on a medium Weald run.

Haha, nice. This is a good way to make money, but I still feel kinda bad just letting my adventurers go.

HotHamBoy

I'm mostly adjusted to the UI now. If you power through your brain will adjust. I think the drvs end up spending so much time with the game as they work on it that it all makes sense to them.

Anyway, patch fixed my crashes. Now if only they would add touchscreen support. So crazy that you can't just double tap to select and drag-n-drop. The damn thing has a touchscreen, guys!!

My guess is that the touchscreen would have been a waste to develop a control scheme for since the PS4 doesn't have one and they wanted both version to launch simultaneously. I'm sure it's actually not that simple.

K.Jack

This is really how you should play the early game. Your earliest heroes (except Dismas and Reynault) are nothing but fodder, to get your war machine up and running.

Don't get married to any of them, unless they have a quirk you love. You really shouldn't be wasting money on stress heals, with your early parties. Use them up, push them to the brink of sanity, then sent them on their way. Exception being Occulists and Vestals, if you're short on healers.

Chance

Randomized dungeons, permadeath for heroes, but Your Character is really the Hamlet, which can't die and only gets stronger/more capable of supporting and developing heroes.

CaptNink

I'm mostly adjusted to the UI now. If you power through your brain will adjust. I think the drvs end up spending so much time with the game as they work on it that it all makes sense to them

Im down with the UI now - it doesn't feel like I'm fighting it anymore.

Game is addictive as crack - I can't put it down!

danowat

Banned
Im down with the UI now - it doesn't feel like I'm fighting it anymore.

Game is addictive as crack - I can't put it down!
The UI gets better the more you play, but it's so unintuitive.

As for the game proper, in terms of progression, is it supposed to be really slow? Or am I missing something? Upgrades and removal/reinforcing of traits is so expensive, I need to do loads of runs to even make a dent in the upgrade trees.

HotHamBoy

The UI gets better the more you play, but it's so unintuitive.

As for the game proper, in terms of progression, is it supposed to be really slow? Or am I missing something? Upgrades and removal/reinforcing of traits is so expensive, I need to do loads of runs to even make a dent in the upgrade trees.

See this:

This is really how you should play the early game. Your earliest heroes (except Dismas and Reynault) are nothing but fodder, to get your war machine up and running.

Don't get married to any of them, unless they have a quirk you love. You really shouldn't be wasting money on stress heals, with your early parties. Use them up, push them to the brink of sanity, then sent them on their way. Exception being Occulists and Vestals, if you're short on healers.

Basically, don't worry about wasting money on characters until you have the Hamlet decently upgraded and some all-stars start to emerge.

Although selectively upgrading skills isn't that expensive.

danowat

Banned
Beat the first boss this morning (apprentice Necromancer?) on the first try, I am assuming that future bosses won't be so easy!!

joe2187

Banned
Maybe Im just used to Vita controls, but this game is probably one of the smoothest of all the recent Vita ports.

I've got very little issue with the UI. And after actually learning what the controls and buttons do, I'm amazed at how they actually pulled it off and make it work seemingly painlessly.

The game looks good, plays smoothly, and is overall a great fit for the Vita.

I Gotta give it to the Devs, they really pulled it off.

Now all they gotta do is a release a PDF of all the controls and buttons. or is it in the digital manual? I keep forgetting those things exist.

K.Jack

Beat the first boss this morning (apprentice Necromancer?) on the first try, I am assuming that future bosses won't be so easy!!

The Necromancer is a pushover fight, impossible to fail.

Every other boss has a special mechanic, ones which almost guarantee failure (or Pyrrhic victory), if you don't counter them properly.

One the subject of bosses, always rush as directly to the boss room as is possible, then explore the remaining area if the fight went well.

Sanador

Been waiting for this to come onto PS4 since it was announced on PC. I'm addicted as shit. The UI is also shit unfortunately, but still I can't stop playing.

I thought I would sneak in a quick run after watching Westworld last night on HBO. Next thing I knew it was almost 1:00AM! ...and The Siren boss was down too, I might add. :)

I am really loving this game.

Late Flag

I am loving this game. I've got a pretty large stable of Level 3 guys and a handful of Level 4s. Can't afford to pay for all those skill/weapon/armor upgrades out pocket, so I'm also maintaining a revolving B-team of low-level guys who just do loot crawls and get fired when they get too stressed/diseased. The meta-game where you're an evil HR manager is pretty clever.

Now that I know what I'm doing and get the mechanics of my go-to classes, I've started doing all those B-team runs with an Antiquarian in tow. Again, this is pretty awesome game design. That character is mostly useless in combat and effectively just leaves your team a man down (except for a decent buff and the occasional weak melee attack), but wow does she add to your loot haul at the end. The designers nailed it with that one.

Top Bottom