• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkest Dungeon |OT| A festering mecca of antediluvian evil

Nose Master

Whee, bumps. I love and hate this game. I put about 80 hours into it over the past two weeks (got it on the Humble sale.) Swore it off after losing a full champion party on a handful of shitty RNG.
And then put in 20 more hours
. :(

Begaria

Depends on what it is about roguelikes you don't like. There is a sense of permanence in Darkest Dungeon as you clear higher tiers of dungeons, build up your town, and your parties.

Ricker

Waiting to see if they fixed the balance and difficulty(or at least an easy mode if its too hard)before I get this on PS4...no time and mostly patience for stressful,frustrating games anymore...

Begaria

The PC version does have a multitude of options you can toggle to make the game easier or harder, but not a specific Easy/Normal/Hard difficulty setting. Hopefully they're in the PS4 and Vita versions to.

vpance

It's a good game, but I kinda got my fill of it back in early access. Not really interested in experiencing the mid to late grind.

NolbertoS

Totally forgot about this game on my radar. Will take a stab at it, but not until next year. DQVII and SMT 4:A is taking my most of my time this year :'(

Found it on the NA store by searching for it. Said $24.99 but I thought I saw a Playstation Blog post earlier that said 20% off for PS+. Best to wait a bit longer for that to happen before buying?

Nose Master

Waiting to see if they fixed the balance and difficulty(or at least an easy mode if its too hard)before I get this on PS4...no time and mostly patience for stressful,frustrating games anymore...

There are DIP switch esque difficulty tweaks on PC, dunno why this would be any different.

Town events helps a lot, too. Nothing like crushing a medium boss with L6's cause "lol level restrictions? nah" town event. The late game grind is still a bit annoying, but antiquarian relieves the need for money.

Arturo

I'll still wait for some Vita impressions, regarding performance and readability of the UI due to the size of the screen.

I've played it for about an hour or so and regarding performance I haven't seen anything weird, everything runs perfectly fine and it looks fantastic. Be warned that you'll have to get used to the controls. You'll not gonna learn them in five minutes, but the in-game help menu is there to remind you at any time which the controls are.

The size of the text is not a problem for me, but I can see why some users won't like it. It's very small, but I have no problems reading it.

Anyway, I just took some screenshots which may help to get an idea of the overall text sizes. I know they are compressed and they are in Spanish, but if you see them 1:1 on a Vita I think you'll get a good idea if the text size is going to be a problem for you.

2016-09-27-161300.jpg

2016-09-27-161317.jpg

2016-09-27-161354.jpg

2016-09-27-161439.jpg

2016-09-27-161622.jpg

2016-09-27-161642.jpg

2016-09-27-161701.jpg

2016-09-27-161725.jpg

CaptNink

I've played it for about an hour or so and regarding performance I haven't seen anything weird, everything runs perfectly fine and it looks fantastic. Be warned that you'll have to get used to the controls. You'll not gonna learn them in five minutes, but the in-game help menu is there to remind you at any time which the controls are.

The size of the text is not a problem for me, but I can see why some users won't like it. It's very small, but I have no problems reading it.

Thank you very much for your impressions and screenshots!

HotHamBoy

I can't believe it's finally here!

This is a major indie get for PS4 and especially Vita. After so many Vita port cancellations, having DD Vita arrive the same day as the PS4 version with crossbuy/save in tow AND a $5 PS+ discount is just thrilling.

I played the game on PC back in January but decided to wait for the more complete console ports before investing in more hours.

If you like turn-based and roguelikes and H.P. Lovecraft it absolutely hits it out of the park. It's a perfect game for a handheld, too.

Great timing for Halloween!

Super excited for the download to finish.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I put 100s of hours into this on PC, and come back to it regularly.

I'm still around if you fresh meats have questions.

The Vita version looks great! The UI is a bit small, but that was to be expected. It seems very solid and a great way to play the game.
One complaint is that there doesn't seem to be any button graphics in the tutorial prompts.. maybe because they are customizable? Seems weird.

lawnchair

Banned
i feel like this game is .. hard?

i'm still playing on PC, i'm 70ish hours in. it feels a little .. unbalanced maybe. i dunno. the easy level dungeons are easy (i cant do them anymore cuz my dudes are too leveled). the medium level dungeons are pretty easy as long as i'm careful and something unlucky/crazy doesn't happen. the higher difficulty (red) dungeons are hard as fuck. i've got level 6 dudes with their weapons/armor maxed, good abilities etc, and every time i tackle one of those dungeons at least one of my party is on the edge of death or insanity or both by the end. it's weird. in the red dungeons i don't really have to worry about the sanity of my characters much. i make it a point to take out the sanity-draining monsters first and everything is generally okay. one dude might go insane if i've managed him incorrectly or something unlucky/bad happens. but in the red dungeons my sanity is getting pushed to/over the brink every time. i've put a ton of time into the game and hitting these red dungeons is like hitting a wall. all of a sudden i'm like "why don't i have any jesters". the difficulty gap between the orange and the red dungeons is crazy. i dunno. i just don't know..

Yup late game is quite difficult. You're encouraged to have multiple high level teams in order to tackle the final dungeons. Losing one of them because of RNG is rough.

lawnchair

Banned
Yup late game is quite difficult. You're encouraged to have multiple high level teams in order to tackle the final dungeons. Losing one of them because of RNG is rough.

seems a little but unfairly hard to me. or borderline hard enough to make it un-fun. maybe i suck a the game or something. but i've got these characters who've been with me for a long time, they've progressed through the levels and done well, i've spent a zillion gold buying them the nicest armor and weapons and training, and they enter the red dungeons and get wrecked and driven mad at least half the time. what? you all have been equipped with the finest shit, had the best training, seen two years worth of hard supernatural combat and now you're breaking down? fuck yooouuuuuuuu

i feel like all the training and grind should be paying off at this point, instead the game is shitting on me more heavily than ever before.. i'll probably grind through and finish it, but i think it could've been handled better (for my tastes anyway).

nicanica

i'm still playing on PC, i'm 70ish hours in. it feels a little .. unbalanced maybe. i dunno. the easy level dungeons are easy (i cant do them anymore cuz my dudes are too leveled). the medium level dungeons are pretty easy as long as i'm careful and something unlucky/crazy doesn't happen. the higher difficulty (red) dungeons are hard as fuck. i've got level 6 dudes with their weapons/armor maxed, good abilities etc, and every time i tackle one of those dungeons at least one of my party is on the edge of death or insanity or both by the end. it's weird. in the red dungeons i don't really have to worry about the sanity of my characters much. i make it a point to take out the sanity-draining monsters first and everything is generally okay. one dude might go insane if i've managed him incorrectly or something unlucky/bad happens. but in the red dungeons my sanity is getting pushed to/over the brink every time. i've put a ton of time into the game and hitting these red dungeons is like hitting a wall. all of a sudden i'm like "why don't i have any jesters". the difficulty gap between the orange and the red dungeons is crazy. i dunno. i just don't know..

You're going to have to change up your party composition if thats the case. Can't always have hitters and healers in your party. Try running around with the houndmaster and spam heal party stress

Honome

Cross-buy is a must buy for me, gonna pick it tonight. Played it on PC and always though the game would be perfect on Vita!

K.Jack

What specific party compositions, are you taking to each specific dungeon?

You can't take random, non-synergistic parties on Champion runs, or ones that don't take advantage of the weakness of the dungeons specific monsters.

I'm exactly opposite, as I feel like I've broken the late game, with my party combos.

lawnchair

Banned
What specific party compositions, are you taking to each specific dungeon?

You can't take random, non-synergistic parties on Champion runs, or ones that don't take advantage of the weakness of the dungeons specific monsters.

I'm exactly opposite, as I feel like I've broken the late game, with my party combos.

apparently i'm using the wrong ones ;_;

usually i've got two tankish people up front (knight/barbarian/man at arms), healer behind them, long-range (lady with daggers, arbalest) behind them. which worked perfectly fine in the easy and medium dungeons, but is getting me worked in the hard ones.

Had a crash loading a dungeon. Probably was my sixth or so dungeon. I reloaded the game and it started me right at the start of said dungeon. So not too bad.

edit: spelling

K.Jack

apparently i'm using the wrong ones ;_;

usually i've got two tankish people up front (knight/barbarian/man at arms), healer behind them, long-range (lady with daggers, arbalest) behind them. which worked perfectly fine in the easy and medium dungeons, but is getting me worked in the hard ones.

Here are 2 Champion runs I literally just did:

Ruins (Medium): Occulist/Plague Doctor/Grave Robber/Hellion <- Hellion and GR burst down the back row stress dealers, PD either stacks blights on front rows or stuns stress dealers. Never had anyone at risk of dying.

Cove (Long): Occulist/Plague Doctor/Grave Robber/Bounty Hunter <- GR throws daggers at back rows, PD stacks massive blights (sometimes double stuns, like when there are 2 Shaman), BH begins with upper cuts to Pelagic Guardian then just attacks open front row targets. Front 3 rows ALWAYS take a minus bleed chance trinket, to counter Uca Crushers pinches. Came out with minimal stress.

For Warrens, try something like Occulist/Houndmaster/Bounty Hunter/Hellion.

Weald, you have to take an Occulist, to debuff the Giant's damage, then run a Grave Robber, Highwayman, and Hellion in front.

Easy work

Jamiaro

Does anyone have a problem with Mission Select? I try to pick the Ruins, but the game insists me on going to the Weald. It's like the selection is made with the analog stick rather than pressing a button.

Does anyone have a problem with Mission Select? I try to pick the Ruins, but the game insists me on going to the Weald. It's like the selection is made with the analog stick rather than pressing a button.
Yeah. You have to go over to the character select (R1) and work your way around the other missions or it just selects the last one you were on. You can also just press Start I think (on Vita)

danowat

Banned
So the Vita is a good way to play this?, I played a very early version on PC ages ago, so I am interested in seeing how it's improved.

Steamworld Hiest is my goto turn based 2D game at the moment, I assume this could usurp that?

Top Bottom