• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders 2 on sale for only $9.99 on the Wii U eShop right now (9.35GB)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Whomever owns that IP currenly has it on sale for 10 bucks on the Wii U eshop. Go grab it if you want the Wii U version and have roughly 10 gigs of space free to download and install.

Jackano

And I though getting the retail version for 22€ was a good deal. Damn you, Nordic Entertainement!

It's a good experience (unless your save bug to death and the random hard freezes of your Wii U), nowhere near the "Dark Zelda" people who havn't touched a Zelda game in years tells you, but good nevertheless.

saw this last night when i was downloading the hyrule warriors dlc and bought it gonna be a nice game to play after captain toad in december.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's a good game but the Wii U version is pretty awful. Lots of screen tearing and a very low frame-rate.

It is very playable, I am enjoying it, but it has screen tearing especially when you start the game. It is not affecting my enjoyment of the game and it has lots of gamepad functions like the map and inventory management. I would love for this to become standard, so much easier and immersive not going into menus.

Cyd0nia

Banned
And I though getting the retail version for 22€ was a good deal. Damn you, Nordic Entertainement!

It's a good experience (unless your save bug to death and the random hard freezes of your Wii U), nowhere near the "Dark Zelda" people who havn't touched a Zelda game in years tells you, but good nevertheless.

Darksiders 1 is more Zelda-like. It reminds me of Metroid too in the way you open up new areas and can traverse for completionists sake before hitting the final objective. Darksiders 2 is a sequel that is in many respects similar, but it added stuff like loot and weapon feeding which makes it feel totally different.

Persevere through the dead kings section if you get this, its worth it

Really wish we were getting DS3!

dark10x

Console versions had this as well, at least on PS3 it did.
Oh yeah, it's not good on any console but the Wii U version seems to dip the lowest.

PC version is good but there are some necessary tricks that you must use to avoid frame pacing issues.

3bdelilah

Banned
Not sure how the Wii U port is, but that's a great price. I enjoyed it a lot on the PS3. Definitely worth the money for people who especially like the puzzle-solving aspects from The Legend of Zelda. I thought DS2 was better than its predecessor in a few certain areas (sicker combat and a much more environmental diversity).

Hugstable

Banned
Oh yeah, it's not good on any console but the Wii U version seems to dip the lowest.

PC version is good but there are some necessary tricks that you must use to avoid frame pacing issues.

ehhh was probably gonna pick it up for 10$ just to have it nicely sit there in my Wii U library since it's cheap, but not if it really runs that bad. Tearing is something that really throws me off and I can't really stand it. Really liked the first Darksiders, have to give the second game a try sometime.

Hugstable

Banned
As awfully low as Mario Kart's 59fps? or even lower? tell me please.

Uhh it's his job to report on these things, and the info DF provides is pretty nice sometimes. And we all know that a drop to 59fps isn't a big deal, but it's something they found in their analysis testing, so I don't see why they wouldn't report on it.

TAS

It's a good game but the Wii U version is pretty awful. Lots of screen tearing and a very low frame-rate.

I disagree. It was the first game I bought with my Wii U at launch and it was perfectly playable. In fact, I had a blast with it. The only time I noticed frame rate issues is when the screen was overloaded with enemies. Also, the Gamepad acting as a map and inventory screen made it vastly more practical and intuitive compared to the P360 versions.

jVMqBf2.gif

Kandinsky

Why the hostility?

Uhh it's his job to report on these things, and the info DF provides is pretty nice sometimes. And we all know that a drop to 59fps isn't a big deal, but it's something they found in their analysis testing, so I don't see why they wouldn't report on it.

as low as a 3rd party wii u launch game?

I'm just asking a question because 59fps seemed like a huge deal in his report back then, I want context that is all.

I paid 10 quid (about 16 bucks in Yankee monies) for a physical copy brand new last year, really like the game but but the tearing is eye-grating and I doubt I'll ever finish it for that reason

Monocle

Amazing game, but I'm not sure about the quality of this port. Despite the rather frequent bugs in the 360 version, Darksiders 2 is one of my favorite titles of the last generation. The exceptional music, stylized art design, surprisingly deep combat, and mythical tone meld into such a rich experience. This game is seriously absorbing. Just thinking about it makes me want to start a third playthrough.

fps could be worse, seen it get into the low 20s often though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWo6wrCEr4A

the price is right

There are a couple sections late in the game that are really, really bad. Like, 10-15 FPS with the screen torn in 3 places and lagging 6 or 7 frames behind bad. The level with the light puzzles is a real mess in particular.

It's still playable and I managed to finish the game though.

Was better than what I had to deal with on the PC version. Back then I had a 560Ti and there was some bizarre glitch where any time you'd pan the camera around or point it at the ground you'd get nausea inducing judder even though the framerate reported it was fine.

flux1

Excellent. Thanks for the heads up! Even if the port isn't the best, I think I'll take a chance on it for that price.

dark10x

I disagree. It was the first game I bought with my Wii U at launch and it was perfectly playable. In fact, I had a blast with it. The only time I noticed frame rate issues is when the screen was overloaded with enemies. Also, the Gamepad acting as a map and inventory screen made it vastly more practical and intuitive compared to the P360 versions.
Yes it's "playable" in the sense that you can play the game even though it runs ~20-25 fps with constant screen tearing. People getting all bent out of shape - it was just a warning, jeez. No reason to get so defensive.

As awfully low as Mario Kart's 59fps? or even lower? tell me please.
The fact that you say that tells me that you never actually understood what the real issue with Mario Kart was. The frame-rate was high enough but it did not sync up properly with 60 Hz displays in single player resulting in micro-stuttering.

Was better than what I had to deal with on the PC version. Back then I had a 560Ti and there was some bizarre glitch where any time you'd pan the camera around or point it at the ground you'd get nausea inducing judder even though the framerate reported it was fine.
Yeah, you had to use Rivatuner OSD with the FPS limit set to 60 fps. Only way to solve it, for some reason.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
The touchscreen inventory and map stuff makes this really fun on the Wii U, technical issues aside.

There are a couple sections late in the game that are really, really bad. Like, 10-15 FPS with the screen torn in 3 places and lagging 6 or 7 frames behind bad. The level with the light puzzles is a real mess in particular.

It's still playable and I managed to finish the game though.

Even with those issues I think it is worth it, great game, cannot back this up but try not to be downloading anything while playing and set the output to 720p, this is some tips some people claim makes it better. I have been playing like this and only see tearing when I start playing. Also some people say games perform better in off tv play.

Top Bottom