• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition PC 05/11/15 + Loyalty Program

tlstls

Banned
Yes!

Just saw at my Steam Account History that I bought the Darksiders Franchise Pack!

I stopped playing Darksiders II on a game breaking bug, hope this new version have everything fixed!

Red Hood

Banned
I'm a tiny bit confused. What if -- after Deathinitive Edition releases -- I buy a Darksiders Franchise Pack key on a non-Steam site (for example GMG, GG or Humble), does Darksiders II automatically become DSII: Deathinitive? Or do I need to buy that version separate?

Anyone?

Basically what I meant was does the Deathinititntiribnvive Edition replaces the normal one? (like Sleeping Dogs for example) And how will future keys of the "old" Darksiders Franchise Pack register, as a normal DS2 or as this new version?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Anyone?

Basically what I meant was does the Deathinititntiribnvive Edition replaces the normal one? (like Sleeping Dogs for example) And how will future keys of the "old" Darksiders Franchise Pack register, as a normal DS2 or as this new version?

They're adding an entirely new game / store entry on Steam for the new version. Only owners of the Franchise Pack at time of release get the new version. If you activate the Franchise Pack via key or gift after that, you'll just get the regular version + DLC.

MUnited83

For you.
I really hate the term "gamer entitlement" but it does basically sum up this thread.

80% discount is fine with me.

It really fucking doesn't though. It would be fine if it was 80% for everyone. But being free for only the subset of people that got one specific franchise pack at a low price (and this doesn't include many "franchise packs" that were sold on other places like Amazon, since on those they gave separated keys). Why the hell should I , that bought EVERY SINGLE THING that is included in the franchise pack individually, have less benefits than people who got them in a bundle? That makes no fucking sense. It's not "gamer entitlement", this shit is downright unfair.

Reminder as well that GOG buyers get the upgrade for free even if they purchased each thing individually.
This is not justifiable.

bede-x

And how will future keys of the "old" Darksiders Franchise Pack register, as a normal DS2 or as this new version?

It sounds like you will get the old DS2 after release of Deathinitive Edition, since it says "up until release of DIIDE" in the tier 1 description.

Faenix1

Was interested until I saw the "first release week." crap. With Fallout 4 in 6 days I won't have the money to take advantage of the 80% discount.

Ah well. Own these games on PC and PS3, don't need the remaster anyways.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wait, so if I own Darksiders 1 and 2, I get the remaster for free, even if I bought them separately?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
No. You'll get a 80% discount.

So I paid more money to..get less in return? I assume the franchise pack was cheaper than getting the two separately. Anyway, I'm in, I just hope they fixed all the glitches in the Forge or whatever dungeon it is when you have the big guy following you around. I can't complete that dungeon :lol. I'm willing to pay 6 euros for a fixed game with better textures.

TI82

Banned
Bought all these games multiple times on multiple platforms can't remember if I bought on pc as a bundle or separate lol

TI82

Banned
Looking at the steam pages apparently I have everything but two DLC for darksiders 2, so I don't have the franchise pack. Oh well, I'll probably still buy this with my 80% off

Reallink

Somebody didn't think this through, shitting on people that paid full price day 1 for DS1, DS2, and the season pass. They won't be seeing any of my money in the future, not that I had high hopes considering Vigil is long gone.

Eusis

I got mine from amazon for 13 bucks 3 years ago , it was such a good deal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00APOVDDY/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Shows this as the one I bought. Wonder if this means I may get it for free anyway?

And I think entitlement's arguably justified given that a lot of companies have erred on the side of customer relations and just given these for free to anyone who had the base version and the vanilla game is currently the same price as the Deathinitive edition. It's not a huge deal given $6 isn't really THAT big of a deal but it's still sort of a sore point that if they couldn't adequately compensate those who got the game and DLC that they'd err towards whoever bought the most (and a very specific package at that!) versus just anyone who bought the base game.

EDIT: Nevermind the console version's quality leaves me weary of how well this verion will even run. It may be the kind of thing you'd be better off without if you value performance.

I got mine from amazon for 13 bucks 3 years ago , it was such a good deal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00APOVDDY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I did too -- I bought mine and only redeemed the DLC for my account (gave Darksiders 2 main game away) since it was all I needed. But doesn't matter for us, because it's not the right sub ID on steam.

Shows this as the one I bought. Wonder if this means I may get it for free anyway?

And I think entitlement's arguably justified given that a lot of companies have erred on the side of customer relations and just given these for free to anyone who had the base version and the vanilla game is currently the same price as the Deathinitive edition. It's not a huge deal given $6 isn't really THAT big of a deal but it's still sort of a sore point that if they couldn't adequately compensate those who got the game and DLC that they'd err towards whoever bought the most (and a very specific package at that!) versus just anyone who bought the base game.

EDIT: Nevermind the console version's quality leaves me weary of how well this verion will even run. It may be the kind of thing you'd be better off without if you value performance.

No. You get nothing free, but you qualify for 80% off like the rest of us.
And yes, $6 isn't a huge deal -- it's the principle behind it. Giving "loyalty" rewards to people who copped the franchise pack during a Steam sale while those of us who grabbed it piecemeal (for probably more money out of pocket) get the consolation discount instead. Meanwhile, GOG users who bought the games there (including the DS2 DLC pack), get it free.

It just reeks of laziness with regards to their handling of the Steam platform and associated customer base.

It just reeks of laziness with regards to their handling of the Steam platform and associated customer base.

Way I see it (and it's probably wrong but I don't particularly care) is that the Franchise Pack is the only one they actually got full sales for the first place (given the first two games were originally published by THQ) so they're more willing to give it away to the guys they're certain have put money in their pockets. Which is fair enough - even taking in to account there are still people who would have bought the two games separately under the Nordic games brand.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yes!

Just saw at my Steam Account History that I bought the Darksiders Franchise Pack!

Same here. In fact I've got all the Darksiders content available on Steam so I should get the game for free.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Way I see it (and it's probably wrong but I don't particularly care) is that the Franchise Pack is the only one they actually got full sales for the first place (given the first two games were originally published by THQ) so they're more willing to give it away to the guys they're certain have put money in their pockets. Which is fair enough - even taking in to account there are still people who would have bought the two games separately under the Nordic games brand.

The Franchise Pack subs (one for the Steam Store and another for retail) are very old and were created by THQ. The first time the pack went on sale on Steam was when the 2012 Winter Sale kicked off -- roughly four months after Darksiders 2 released and literally only a day after THQ filed for bankruptcy.

KevinCow

Banned
The Deathinitive Edition is $40, right? So 80% off will be $8? What the hell, I'll probably upgrade just because I love the game so much. Even though I can't play it right now because my computer's graphics card isn't playing nice.

JaseC

The Deathinitive Edition is $40, right? So 80% off will be $8? What the hell, I'll probably upgrade just because I love the game so much. Even though I can't play it right now because my computer's graphics card isn't playing nice.

$30.

So if I buy the soundtrack I'm missing does that mean I'll get Deathinitive for free?

No.

dude

dude
It really fucking doesn't though. It would be fine if it was 80% for everyone. But being free for only the subset of people that got one specific franchise pack at a low price (and this doesn't include many "franchise packs" that were sold on other places like Amazon, since on those they gave separated keys). Why the hell should I , that bought EVERY SINGLE THING that is included in the franchise pack individually, have less benefits than people who got them in a bundle? That makes no fucking sense. It's not "gamer entitlement", this shit is downright unfair.

Reminder as well that GOG buyers get the upgrade for free even if they purchased each thing individually.
This is not justifiable.

But it was said again and again - Steam limitations made them choose ONE "product" which they can replace with the new edition. The franchise pack was their best bet. GOG apparently had looser limitations.
I don't care much either way, 80% is still a good deal. Yeah, it's not "fair", I understand some of the more loyal fans feel like people less committed than they get rewarded more, but I find it hard to have sympathy for this plight when it all basically boils down to people expecting a game for free rather than a single digit price. Am I supposed to be outrage that I get the game for 6$ when someone out there gets it for free? Good for them for the free game, I'm still getting a good price.

JaseC

But it was said again and again - Steam limitations made them choose ONE "product" which they can replace with the new edition. The franchise pack was their best bet. GOG apparently had looser limitations.
I don't care much either way, 80% is still a good deal. Yeah, it's not "fair", I understand some of the more loyal fans feel like people less committed than they get rewarded more, but I find it hard to have sympathy for this plight when it all basically boils down to people expecting a game for free rather than a single digit price. Am I supposed to be outrage that I get the game for 6$ when someone out there gets it for free? Good for them for the free game, I'm still getting a good price.

Nordic is playing with the truth a bit. Most recently, for instance, The Witcher 3's loyalty discount for pre-orders was two-pronged (owning one of the previous Witcher games got you an extra 5% off while owning both bumped that up to 10%). Even if we assume that Valve's system is presently limited to checking a mere two apps, Nordic could just throw the Season Pass app into the mix.

Edit: Oh, wait, the Crucible Pass isn't a Season Pass, haha. I'd forgotten about that. It doesn't matter, though, since Scholar of the First Sin's loyalty discount was spread across the Season Pass and the individual pieces of DLC, meaning there is no limit of two.

prudislav

lol the 80% voucher only lasts 1 week :-D This is getting ridiculous ;-D

I got both games close to launch and bough all the worthwhile DLCs (Argul's Tomb, Demon Lord Beial, Abyssal Forge and Death rides) - rest is just soundtrack and some worthless skins :-D
Feels insulting that I am getting same deal as people who got it in humble bundle for little to nothing and people who bought some cheap bundled franchise pack gets even better deal

Really twisted definition of Loyalty

dude

dude
Nordic is playing with the truth a bit. Most recently, for instance, The Witcher 3's loyalty discount for pre-orders was two-pronged (owning one of the previous Witcher games got you an extra 5% off while owning both bumped that up to 10%). Even if we assume that Valve's system is presently limited to checking a mere two apps, Nordic could just throw the Season Pass app into the mix.

Alright, so they could have gone the extra 2 miles to give you a free game but didn't, they gave you 80% off to save some logistical hassle. It's not the best planned or executed program in the world, but it's still by all accounts a good deal. Several people here claimed they would have been fine with the 80% off if no one got the game for free. Just seems like a bunch of people getting bent out of shape over some people who are not them getting a free game. I'm sorry, I just have some trouble getting into my outrage pants over this.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Call of Pripiyat also had loyalty discounts tied to either Shadow of Chernobyl or Clear Skies, so yeah, it's definitely possible.

Alright, so they could have gone the extra 2 miles to give you a free game but didn't, they gave you 80% off to save some logistical hassle. It's not the best planned or executed program in the world, but it's still by all accounts a good deal. Several people here claimed they would have been fine with the 80% off if no one got the game for free. Just seems like a bunch of people getting bent out of shape over some people who are not them getting a free game. I'm sorry, I just have some trouble getting into my outrage pants over this.

What people are bummed about is that

A) People who paid full price for Darksiders 1 and 2 only get the discount
B) People who bought the franchise pack, which amounts to 15 dollars per game, gets it for free, franchise pack also included all the DLC so that's an even better deal

me0wish

A new company decides to buy the license of a product you already own, they decide to remake it and give you a special 80% discount on the remake that no one else from any other platform gets, yet you choose to complain because some other people are getting it for free?

Do you guys apply this to everything in life? It's like complaining about someone with a lower degree getting a better position than you, even if your position is satisfying with good pay, you still choose to complain and whine about it. Be thankful for what you have, 80% off is great a offer.

A new company decides to buy the license of a product you already own, they decide to remake it and give you a special 80% discount on the remake that no one else from any other platform gets, yet you choose to complain because some other people are getting it for free?

Do you guys apply this to everything in life? It's like complaining about someone with a lower degree getting a better position than you, even if your position is satisfying with good pay, you still choose to complain and whine about it. Be thankful for what you have, 80% off is great a offer.

This is where I'm standing. This whole thing is blown waaay out of proportion.

If everyone got the 80% discount no one would be complaining. But because some people get it for free it's turned into a bad thing all of a sudden. Hard to see enything but envy being the reason for the complaints.

If you like DS2 pay the $6 or $8 and show your support. If you don't like it, why even care?

Chariot

This is where I'm standing. This whole thing is blown waaay out of proportion.

If everyone got the 80% discount no one would be complaining. But because some people get it for free it's turned into a bad thing all of a sudden. Hard to see enything but envy being the reason for the complaints.
Because it isn't fair. Why shouldn't the people who bought everything over time, so they didn't need to purchase the Franchise Pack be upset? They are the most loyal and get less than people who grabbed the franchise pack on the sale? It's a matter of justice and kick in the tummy for the biggest loyalists.

Also just so you know, I am getting the best out of the deal, I only have purchased Darksiders II in some sale and thus get all DLCs I never bought and a better version of the game for the same price as the people who are bought all DLCs.

Paasei

Depends on what it will cost. Have both games since they got released. No pack for me...

That 80% discount sounds nice, depending on how much it will cost me then. If it's truly €6,- I'm in.

Dollar sign gets replaced with the Euro sign where I live, so I'm ripped off already when buying games.

Because it isn't fair. Why shouldn't the people who bought everything over time, so they didn't need to purchase the Franchise Pack be upset? They are the most loyal and get less than people who grabbed the franchise pack on the sale? It's a matter of justice and kick in the tummy for the biggest loyalists.

Also just so you know, I am getting the best out of the deal, I only have purchased Darksiders II in some sale and thus get all DLCs I never bought and a better version of the game for the same price as the people who are bought all DLCs.
I totally get that it's not fair. But it seems more of a "hmm that sucks, oh well"-situation to me rather than a "Nordic is fucking over fans and I'll never buy anything from them again"-situation. Console players don't get anything even if they bought 10 copies. It was never going to be fair. All I'm saying that it's blown out of proportion by some people.

As I said, they made the mistake of giving it free to anyone in the first place. They decided to give people MORE, but sadly messed up the execution. These guys bought the IP because they probably think it's still worth something, it sucks to see people that would consider themselves fans to get so upset over a technicality.

prudislav

and me. :-(

Is it going to be worth the 80% discount?
its 6 euro from what i got , but the 80% discount is limited to only 1 f***ing week.

For all we know its just slight graphical upgrade and huge bufixes.
So in my case its paying 6 euro for a patch and bunch of useless weapon DLCs (which gets irrelevant after 1 hour of playing)

I understand it being great deal for people who got just base game without DLCs , but for people who got everything worthwhile before this Franchise pack even existed - its just twisted definition of loyalty and kinda insulting

Parsnip

I totally get that it's not fair. But it seems more of a "hmm that sucks, oh well"-situation to me rather than a "Nordic is fucking over fans and I'll never buy anything from them again"-situation. Console players don't get anything even if they bought 10 copies. It was never going to be fair. All I'm saying that it's blown out of proportion by some people.

As I said, they made the mistake of giving it free to anyone in the first place. They decided to give people MORE, but sadly messed up the execution. These guys bought the IP because they probably think it's still worth something, it sucks to see people that would consider themselves fans to get so upset over a technicality.
This is pretty much where I stand as well.

Jawmuncher

I'm still pretty bummed out over this. Just a shitty situation though, since I can bitch and maybe get the game free which isn't really going to lead to a Darksiders 3. But I don't want to support this flawed tiering even if it's only 6.

This:
Our original plan was to have the free copy unlocked for everyone owning Darksiders II and ALL DLCs, but unfortunately this was not possible from a purely technical point of view (on Steam). Therefore we chose to give our loyal fans the closest possible option to this original plan:
sucks. I think it is obvious that they aren't trying to screw anyone over. I mean, if they just wanted more money, they didn't have to give the free update to anyone.

But at least for myself I know I bought the franchise pack. I never finished DS2, so maybe I'll try it out again.

prudislav

well free copy is rpetty much only for those with Franchise pack - which is a deal for about a month old :-D
So its pretty much for Loyal Nordic fans, but not for loyal Darksiders fans (these already had the games prior ro franchise pack being a thing)
and 1 week timeout for discount is just spit to the face of the actual loyal fans and pretty much death sentence for the franchise on steam

Lain

I'm still pretty bummed out over this. Just a shitty situation though, since I can bitch and maybe get the game free which isn't really going to lead to a Darksiders 3. But I don't want to support this flawed tiering even if it's only 6.

I'm not angry over this, but I do feel their loyalty plan is dumb. As I said in the Steam thread, their heart is in the right place but their thinking isn't, because they end up making the loyal fan feel like they are getting a lesser deal compared to the last minute fan.

madjoki

well free copy is rpetty much only for those with Franchise pack - which is a deal for about a month old :-D
So its pretty much for Loyal Nordic fans, but not for loyal Darksiders fans (these already had the games prior ro franchise pack being a thing)
and 1 week timeout for discount is just spit to the face of the actual loyal fans and pretty much death sentence for the franchise on steam

Nah, it's older.

This: sucks. I think it is obvious that they aren't trying to screw anyone over. I mean, if they just wanted more money, they didn't have to give the free update to anyone.

But at least for myself I know I bought the franchise pack. I never finished DS2, so maybe I'll try it out again.

It has been literally done before. And Van Helsing Final Cut is having very similar offer (releases tomorrow) where owners of three previous games gets it free.

So it sounds off to me.

KevinCow

Banned
Oh shit, I just checked and I actually have the franchise pack! Nice! Not sure when that happened. I could've sworn I bought the two games individually.

Top Bottom