• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II Official Spoiler Thread - Book Of Revelations

KevinCow

Banned
I'm not really even sure what they were going for with this game's story. It's so detached from the first game. It feels more like something from an expanded universe novel than an actual sequel. Like if instead of Empire Strikes Back, we'd gotten a movie about what Han was up to before he met Luke. Which might be a good movie in its own right, but it's not really the sequel to Star Wars.

Even without directly following up the ending of Darksiders, I feel like they could've done a better job connecting this game to the first. Like they still didn't answer the question of where the other Horsemen were at the beginning of the first game, when the apocalypse was going down.

I really like the Darksiders universe, but I think they could do a much better job at telling their stories.

KevinCow

Banned
At this rate we'll get to continue the story in Darksiders 5. I'm sure everyone is just dying to see what Strife (Darksiders 3) and Fury (Darksiders 4) are up to during the events of the first game.

*vomits*

I mean, I get where you're coming from.

But I really think that could be a goddamn amazing quintilogy if done right.

The first four games following each of the Four Horsemen on their own stories, discovering more about the Charred Council and building up conflict with them. Then Darksiders 4 ends with Death, Strife, and Fury reuniting and heading to Earth. And Darksiders 5 starts with the Four Horsemen reunited, ready to take on the council.

But Darksiders 2 isn't really off to a good start for that concept.

luffeN

Just finished it on Apocalyptic. Took me 21 hours 42 minutes, but did only complete one side quest. 110 deaths, 52 environmental and 58 in combat. My two weapons were just imba at the end, loved them :D

Did I miss as to why the apocalypse was triggered? And how did Death save War in the end? He jumped into the well and restored humanity? But War was still wreaking havoc on earth and he broke the seventh seal... I don't get it.

I HATED the Serious Sam 3 mission.. at least I played it that way :> The rest of the game was wonderful. I was sometimes stuck at a puzzle because I didn't look around enough or because I forgot that the two Deaths can grab the bomb thingy from each other...

Played on the PC and it randomly crashed, sometimes due to alt-tabbing. All in all the performance was great.

Gonna wait for the DS2 guide and play the Crucible plus probably gather more stuff.

Derrick01

Banned
There was a story in this game? I spent 25 hours doing fetch quests for people just to end up in the same spot I ended up in at the end of Darksiders 1.

The loot system sucked too and it ran into the same problem all loot games run into now. You find 1 really good weapon and it's good for the rest of the game and every other loot you find is garbage only good for selling. But what do you sell it for? More sub par loot.

Please developers stop putting RPG elements in games when you don't know how to do them. It makes it look like you're just doing it to check boxes and say you have this and that in your big new hyped game. I can't believe how much worse than 1 this game was when before the game came out I was laughing at reviews saying it was worse. I couldn't possibly see how, but now I do and I apologize to the reviews I laughed at.

I enjoyed the dungeons/combat. I've done nearly everything but finished the crucible.

That being said, this game's story is one of the worst I've ever seen. An utter disappointment. I have no clue what the fuck absalom is, is he Death's actual brother, or just another Nephilim? From what I gather he was the first of them, Death killed him during the genocide, and he became part of a universal force known as corruption. We'll probably never see him or corruption ever again if there's another entry in the series.

Absalom is just a throw away villain because they couldn't think of anything interesting. You see him literally three times through out the game. They could have expanded on samael, lilith or other characters introduced in the first DS, but they are cameos at best.

Honestly, there isn't a new character that is interesting or important to the plot of DS1. It was generic characters giving out fetch quests, and then a tiny segment of story every time you get to the end of the world.

The ultimate salt in the wound is the ending, which is just a rehash of DS1 ending. I thought I read that we would see strife/fury in game. What the fuck are the other horseman doing this whole time? You don't even see the council. Game drops you off in the middle of nowhere in the beginning.

The whole experience also felt pretty lonesome, the watcher atleast provided commentary. Really hope the next one picks up where DS1 left off, this whole experience kind of left me dry.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think the main point of this wasn't some big epic tale of what ever. It was here to give an introduction to the rest of the darksiders universe. It fleshed out a bit more the other worlds in the universe the games take place in. There was never going to be some crazy epic what ever because he had a simple goal from start to finish. Honestly though the well of souls part should have been the mid point of the game with some events after ds1 taking place for the second half of the game, but oh well. As I enjoy the lore of the world and such I didnt find the ending part bad though it was interesting. Don't know how it could of gone on really much longer than it did besides rendering instead of having drawings for the final part.

jett

D-Member
The endgame was lame. After how much content is packed into the game it was a little disappointing to not have it end well. I cared little for the story in DS2 to be honest, though. :p If there is a DS3, I hope it's a proper sequel.

ZiZ

just finished the game, gameplay was great, but the story and ending were a disappointment.

so... does death get resurrected with his mask? how does that work?

Top Bottom